Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con
Gen Con Anything and everything that has to do with Gencon!

Notices

Old July 29th, 2020, 10:53 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: Online Con 2020 Results, Game Schedules, Battle Reports

I managed the win against Cuzmo. I had Braxas, rats, PKs, Hydra, and Marro Warriors, and Cuzmo had TKN, grubs, Axegrinders, Mezzos, and Heirloom. Braxas and the PKs went down but the Marro Warriors finished off TKN to end it.

So finals is the highly unusual dok v. kevindola matchup.
Old July 29th, 2020, 10:54 PM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

Bengi pretty thoroughly outdrafted me to get the win tonight.

-Agent Carr, Black Wyrmlingx2, Blue Wyrmlingx2, Red Wyrmlingx2, White Wyrmling
-Erevan Sunshadow, Warforged Soldiersx3
-Sir Gilbert, Knights of Westonx3 (drop 1)
-Kaemon Awa, Raelin the Kyrie Warrior [RotV], Marro Stingersx2

Bengi deferred, and I thought that Raelin was good with Wyrmlings and Warforged generally, so I took Raelin. Bengi stuck me with the Wyrmlings and had the Knights for himself, which was a great call. With combination of figures that I had, the highest potency offense in my army was the two squads of Stingers. And I really needed something higher potency to kill 11 Knights and Sir Gilbert. Gilbert and the Knights just blasted a path straight through my army, mowing through Stingers and Raelin and then opening my startzone-sleeping Agent Carr as I desperately tried to escape Wyrmlings. Overall I was happy with how I played the actual game, making space and chokepoints to limit the Knight attacks, but the Knights were just way too thick for the build that Bengi gave me to deal with.
Old July 30th, 2020, 08:25 AM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth

Pod Draft finals are today at Noon central

edit: all done. setup took almost as much time of as the game.

I ran TKN in, but lost him to two attacks (boosted Wyverns). Took out 1 Wyvern in the exchange and few other hits.

I sent in Wiu Chiu next, but he died to an acid spray and I called it there.

gg dok and congrats

Last edited by kevindola; July 30th, 2020 at 02:25 PM.
Old July 30th, 2020, 02:41 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Thanks! It was pretty crazy with TKN doing 3 wounds to a Wyvern right away and killing it the next round, only to have Wyvern #2 2-shot TKN. All engine, no brakes!

I believe that makes Kevin's Wyvern pod 4-0 in the event while Woo and the Monks put up an 0-4. For my pods, TKN went 2-2 while Braxas and rats went 3-1.

Last edited by dok; July 30th, 2020 at 03:02 PM.
Old July 30th, 2020, 09:07 PM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

Just saying...

Congrats @dok !
Old July 30th, 2020, 11:01 PM

Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Got the win v. Cuzmo_of_Gilead in our last game from Pod Draft.

I chose his MWs/Hydra/PKs pod first, Cuzmo took his Axegrinders/Heirloom/Mezzos pod & my Red/Blue Wyrm pod, leaving me with White/Black Wyrm pod.

We both opened with wyrmlings, and neither of us could kill much for a while. My black wyrms weren't hitting their acid breaths and the rest of the wyrms were attacking mostly into heighted, shadowed, tree-ed wyrms. By early round 3 or so, I had lost 5 wyrms and Cuzmo had lost 3 wyrms. My wyrms then mounted a comeback, with the acid breath rolls heating up and I was able to get a few good heighted normal attacks with white wyrms. Eventually I finished off Cuzmo's wyrms with 3 of my own left alive - 2 black wyrms forward and 1 white wyrm still in my start zone.

I was able to get a few shots on Heirloom as he moved up and hit an 18 & 14 with acid breath, dealing 3 wounds and leaving Heirloom unable to take more than 1 OM per round. Axegrinders moved up next and killed one of the black wyrms while I switched OMs to PKs, who moved in slowly and cautiously. I used PKs such that Cuzmo only had 2 PKs he could attack with dwarves each turn and I was able to mostly get heighted attacks down on the axegrinders. Ultimately the PKs were able to kill 6 axegrinders before they died, definitely a good trade for me.

I took a few OMs with my last 2 wyrms, and they were able to finish off heirloom before the mezzos killed them. I moved in the Hydra next, who was able to engage before taking any attacks, killing one axegrinder on the first turn. The mezzos were able to get a few ranged shots in, but Hydra blocked them and quickly engaged them and took 2 turns to kill them + their exos. Hydra then finished off the last axegrinder, and killed Isamu after a round of him dancing around. I won with a full life hydra and 4 MWs in my SZ that never moved.

gg Cuzmo, fun match
Old July 31st, 2020, 11:59 PM

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

Had a couple of fun events today. I pulled off the rare 0-3 to 4-0 reversal of fortune.

VC Bring 2

My two armies were:
Arktos, Deathwings x4, Varkanaan Greyspears, Siiv
Azazel the Kyrie Warrior, Death Knights x3, Darkprowl Thrall x4

I brought these armies because I thought they were cool C3V concepts and I wanted to try them out in tournament games.

Game 1 (Jotun, Dreadguls x3, Guilty) vs. superfrog (Havech Eradicators x5) on Highways and Dieways Swarm Edition

I won the diceoff and first picked the Dreadguls. I think that was a mistake, and I was underestimating the Eradicators, especially Eradicators in mass. I opened up with climbing Dreadguls and Jotun out of the startzone, but I ended up just climbing Jotun into the Eradicator range of fire. The fast Eradicators meleed and range attacked the giant during an initiative switch R2, and he was gone from the game by my R2OM1. After that it was going to be really hard to make a comeback, and superfrog didn't give me any chances. He shut down Guilty quickly, and I just lost.

0-1

Game 2 (Quahon, Spiders x4, Blue Wyrmling x2, Isamu) vs. Chris Perkins (Nilfheim, Greenscales x3, White Wyrmling x2, Marcu) on Bad Moon Rising

Big dragon duel. I won the diceoff and first picked Quahon since I think she has the edge in the head-to-head because of Lightning Breath flexibility. Quahon didn't have a great performance though. Throughout the game she never rolled higher than 2/4 on Lightning Breath, and had quite a few 1/4s and a really painful 0/4. The Spiders picked up her slack. They hit a pretty crucial web that kept me in it, and they managed some solid damage on Nilfheim. But Nilfheim himself had great Ice Shards, and slammed through Spiders and consistently put some damage on Quahon. My dragon went down first, although Nilfheim was up at four or five wounds. Isamu finished him off and was wreaking havoc on the White Wyrmlings, but then the game went to time. CP still had Marcu and a Greenscale left so I didn't have much of a chance but his Vanish was on fire.

0-2

Game 3 (Arktos, Varkanaan Greyspears, Zettian Deathwings x4, Siiv) vs. Wargamingaddict87 (Hoplitron x4, Major J15, Krav, B-11 Resistance) on Raknar's Rift

I wanted to play my armies before the event ended, and WGA87's armies semeed about as good as mine so I took one of mine. But the WGA took the Krav, and deployed them aggressively to the middle of the rift on his OM1, before I had even taken a turn. He opened fire on Greyspears and Arktos who had some early OMs and I was just brutally behind right off the bat. The eventually the Wolves caught and speared the Krav but the rest of my army was just too little too late.

0-3

Overall I wasn't super dissatisfied with how I played even though I went 0-3. I don't even know what to say about it, it was weird. Sometimes you just don't win games. I definitely made some small mistakes but not anything dramatically larger than what I make in games I win. Everyone playing at Online Con is good so all the games are hard.

General Wars

My army was:
Charos, Greenscale Warriors x3, Syvarris

I picked this army because I thought in a meta where you can't play more than 200 points of a common squad Charos is basically the boss. You need sustained damage to bring him down, and sustained damage is a lot harder to come by. Plus, if you were going to play Ullar in normal General Wars, no restrictions at all, this is one of the best builds there, it's not impacted at all by the restrictions. Not that Ullar is good, but most other builds are severely reined back by the figure limit and the common squad limit of this format. Syvarris is in there to give the army another dimension and he's really important.

Game 1 vs. Dysole (Goblin Cutters x4, Fen Hydra, Moltenclaw) on Raknar's Rift

After getting wrecked by the Krav on Raknar's Rift last game I decided to try the exact same thing on Dysole this game. After a quick Greenscale OM1 to build a shield for Syvarris from the Cutters, I opened fire with Syvarris on the Hydra. He didn't draw any blood, but they were still good shots. Round 2 Dysole deployed her Hydra. The Hydra got a volley on Charos that got 4 wounds, but then Hydra got engaged and took lost two heads, and two more from a desperation use or it lose it final attack melee to Charos. Then it was just Moltenclaw. I won a huge initiative and blasted Moltenclaw for 5 wounds with Syvarris, and that was basically it. Charos caught the little dragon the next turn and smashed him in, and the Cutters stood no chance against bonding and Counter Strike.

1-0

Game 2 vs. Chris Perkins (Nilfheim, Tarn Viking Warriors, Raelin, Airborne, Zetacron) on Drudgery

Second dragon duel of the day with Chris Perkins, although I had upgraded from Quahon to Charos while Chris was still stuck with Nilfheim. My dad played an army really similar to this at Gencon 2015 maybe? The idea of it is you play Nilfheim, Raelin, and a long range figure, along with some cheap squads to use as stationary blockers in your startzone. Back in 2015 my dad used Syvarris and Chris Perkins used Airborne and Zeta. Nilfheim shards away at whatever you can fish in with the range, using the startzone itself as defense. That was exactly how this game went. The Airborne failed the drop the first round, which was huge. Chris Perkins was forced to use Zeta as the fisherman, and he's much worse at that. He managed a couple wounds on Syvarris but that was it. I seized the center sandy hill with Charos to end the first round, which turned out to be crucial when the Airborne dropped at the start of the second. Charos owned almost the entire board, there was no safe place for the Airborne besides the startzone with everything else. One Airborne tried to drop by the Ulvania glyph out of Raelin's aura, but when the Airborne lost init Syvarris sniped him down. The remaining Airborne got some early damage on Charos, but from there Charos climbed right onto the hill outside of the Chris Perkins startzone. He smacked into 6 defense Tarn for 3 consecutive turns, refusing to go down to the flat startzone until the time was right. His Greenscales stood next to bush hitting Airborne but mostly just massing for a big attack. A round later, Charos charged in and opened up Nilfheim with 3 wounds. Nilfheim fled but it was kind of just extending the game, he had no way of dueling Charos. Nilfheim took out Syvarris and some Greenscales who were still traversing the board, but Charos smashed the rest of Chris's startzone and won the duel when the dragons inevitably met again.

2-0

Game 3 vs. Boromir96 (Marcus, Romans x4, Zelrig)

This was a rough matchup for boromir. Zelrig isn't that good if I only have 9 commons, and Romans are quite bad against Charos especially with Marcus as their only bonder. If they had NGS they can hope to Shackle him or MBS can get some safe damage from range, but as it was boromir just had to hope he had the rolls. And he decidedly did not. boromir had an interesting but effective strategy of very heavily leaning on Zelrig in the early game, despite me quickly fanning Greenscales, but he failed some Majestic Fires on single targets that really hurt. For my part, I owned the Valda glyph, and while Charos was chasing Zelrig around the board, the Greenscales were smashing random Romans all the way in boromir's startzone to decent success. Zelrig grabbed Kelda but died shortly after, then the remaining Romans just futilely tried to fight Charos in melee and lost.

3-0

Game 4 vs. vegie dad (Sir Gilbert, Knights x2, 4th x2, Raelin, Eldgrim) on Fire Isles

This was actually the army, the very exact build, that I took to my very first tournament in 2011. In the semifinals my dad played against the very exact build that he had taken to that same tournament (Tor-Kul-Na, Nagrubs x3, Stingers x3). Back in the day we did not have to have common restrictions we just were not very good at building armies.

Anyways. My dad made the interesting choice of basically ceding Raelin to me. Fire Isles is a shooting gallery with nowhere to hide, and Syvarris can shoot the startzone with his very first volley. He did just that, blasting Raelin off the board in just 3 shots of 4 throughout the first round, while Charos took the lava height to protect the archer, but the Knights and 4th advanced out of their startzone towards Charos. Once the actual fight started though things were not in my favor. A few Greenscales died to Knight attacks, Syvarris easily died to 4th, I left a couple Greenscales on lava and both died, and Charos took a quick 3 wounds. With the Knights hot on my tail I disengaged Charos from Gilbert and flew across the lava river to the other side, which was much safer, and evacuated Greenscales the same way. This got me back into the game since the Knights just didn't have anything to do, they couldn't easily follow. Charos had some good kills and blocks grinding through the few figures that were on the other side of the hill. Then he got really into the squad figures, making one more aggressive fly this time down the lava river into a horde of 4th and Knights that he just smashed through. There just wasn't enough damage left to kill Charos once I bought a little more time with that disengage and diffused the damage that my dad was about to unleash on him.

4-0

I really liked this army and it was fun to make Charos the boss since I don't think he's been the boss in a long time, maybe ever. He didn't die in any of my games. He's so different than any other dragon with Greenscales, he plays closer to TKN and Nagrubs than to Nilfheim and Greenscales.
Old August 1st, 2020, 09:41 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

I won 1 of 5 in Championship and lost all 3 heroes only - my worst "Gencon" results yet ;(
I guess I should not play Zelrig when I don't know how to play him well - I was way too aggressive.
My 2 Werewolf Lords + Hydra + Rhogar + Ne-Gok-Sa could not pull it out - a couple close games including one where I Moon Frenzied Raelin and Jotun and Marc, but going to time on a couple of them made me loose on points (I really need to learn to play faster and not-second guess my moves then take them back.
Old August 1st, 2020, 11:09 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Never got the chance to make it to GenCon but I was glad to be part of putting this event together. I played in three events and went 7-4 overall.

VC Bring 2
Quote:
my armies:
Jotun, Guilty, Dreadgul Raiders x3
Havech Eradicators x5
Game 1 (my Havechs army) vs. vegietarian18 (my Dreadguls army) on Highways and Dieways Swarm

vegie summarized this game a few posts up pretty well. I ran out the Havechs and was able to start engaging Jotun at the end of Round 1. I got the initiative switch and was able to get a several attacks in a row (including a ranged attack from height) to take him down. I was slightly worried about Guilty but I was able to shimmy around adjacent to him and get through him in one hit. vegie made a valiant effort to regroup but 4/4 is better than 4/3.

1-0

Game 2 (my Havechs army) vs. boromir96 (Nhah Scirh Cultists x3, Cyprien, Sonya, Isamu) on Bad Moon Rising

Boromir opened with Cultists, and we had a pretty tough battle. I got through 11 of his 12 Cultists (220 points) and he got through 7 of my Havechs (210 points). At that point he switched to Cyprien and took out an Eradicator on his first vampire turn, giving him the slight edge. After taking two wounds from ranged shots, Cyprien flew in to try for a double kill. He got one, but the other failed and I got three attacks (one from height) to kill Cyprien. I got through Isamu and the last Cultist, and ended with 6 Havechs against a heartbroken 1-life Sonya.

2-0

Game 3 (Cathar Spearmen x3, Viceron the Blood Knight, Rygarn) vs. vegie dad (Dreadgul Raiders x5, Pel, Guilty) on Raknar's Rift

I took the first pick here and decided that vegie dad's Dreadguls were stronger than mine so I was pretty locked into his two armies. It's hard to bet against Cathar, even in small numbers, so I went with that. vegies dad got a couple Berserker Charges on his first few turns and was able to slow my development down (the uphill start is also pretty unfriendly to Cathar). Once the Dreadgul front line went down, my second wave of Cathar were able to start to work on Pel, and finish him off pretty quickly. The next turn I had a nice sequence of Cathar freeing each other up for the Impale bonus and I wiped out another squad of Dreadguls. It was down to 5 Dreadguls vs. a 3-life Rygarn, a 3-life Viceron, and 2 Cathars. Rygarn switched an OM to Cathars who were able to Impale two Raiders, and Viceron finished the game with a normal attack kill that healed a wound and secured the win on points. Final board state was 3-life Rygarn, 3-life Viceron, and 2 Cathars against 2 Dreadguls.

3-0

Game 4 (my Havechs) vs. Tiamat (Microcorp Troopers x3, Heracles) on Draugur

I was slightly worried about taking Havechs here because the map had Kelda which I had no heroes for, and his army had Heracles who is very good at benefiting from Kelda. But I figured that was a worry for the end of the game. We started by doing a squad battle which I got the best of. In the end it's 4/4 vs 2/2, and my guys were fast. At the beginning of the Heracles era, I had 10 Havechs against 1 Trooper and a 7-life Heracles. But Heracles started throwing and pounding and beating up my Marro while I set up camp around Wannok. He threw an Eradicator and failed to kill it from height and took that opportunity to bail for Kelda with his X turn rather than see 3 melee attacks on my turn. That Havech followed him to Kelda and put 2 wounds on him, forcing him to stay on the other side of the map for a turn to finish it off. Wannok took the last Trooper off the board, and time ran out with a 6-life Heracles (150 points) against 5 Eradicators (150 points). Luckily we were planning on playing it out anyway but it shows just how close the game was. I sat and waited as he ran down, and probably misplayed by not engaging him on OM3. A bunch of throws and attacks later (and a Havech blowing itself up after a 3-wound ranged attack), it was down to 1 Eradicator vs. a 1-life Heracles on OM 3. I walked onto the glyph and got a low-ground 4v5 to go through (3 skulls vs. 2 shields) for the closest win of my life.

You can watch this game on twitch.tv/filthe and hopefully eventually on 10 Points Under.

4-0

This was actually the first tournament that I have ever won. Lots of second place finishes but never the crown until yesterday. Really fun experience. I hope to come back and fill in the other two events when I have time. Looking forward to some dice as well
Old August 2nd, 2020, 12:52 PM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

Lost a rough matchup against XTHORSAVAGEX in Round 1 of Day 2 this morning.

Lost SZ choice and Thor took Blue (which was my preferred side as well). Staggered my OMs Round 1. Looking back this was probably the one thing I could control, and my only mistake, because putting all the OMs on one unit could've given me center rock control. But I also expected Thor to lead with Q10 instead of Mohicans, which would've put my Round 1 in a similar situation as Round 2...

Placed all of my OMs on Kozuke for Round 2, lost initiative and then the Mohicans rolled 3/3 skulls to kill one Kozuke and Hatamoto (after he took 2 wounds in Round 1), then rolled 1/3 skulls to my whiff with 4 dice. So I took a turn with one Kozuke to kill a Mohican and then another Mohican rolled 4/4 skulls to kill it. Lost 2 OMs in Round 2 because of that. I suppose it was a mistake putting all of the OMs on Kozuke, but even if I can keep 2 alive OM1, and 1 alive after OM2, I'm good for one more attack at OM3.

Round 3 didn't start any kinder as I won initiative but had OM1 on Marcu to try and engage the Mohicans and Q10 and stagger Thor's push, but Marcu's Eternal Hatred came into play and he went on to slaughter an Izumi instead. From there the Tagawa did ok to land 3 wounds on Q10 with one shot after killing a couple of Mohicans but Q10 rolled 3/4 skulls with Wrist Rocket to kill them both in return. That was after the first one died to a 2-skull Machine Pistol rolling 7 defense (shadow/jungle backed).

My only slimmer of hope came after Q10 ran to Kelda, an Izumi kept him engaged there eating Wrist Rockets for numberous turns until I told Thor that obviously the Machine Pistol works better to which Thor then killed the Izumi. Meanwhile, Marcu ran to Thor's SZ and started slaughtering Mohicans. But after a 2/4 skull attack, Marcu rolled 1/4 skulls in all but one attack after, in which the other was a whiff. The Mohicans were kind enough to whiff their defense on a few but it wasn't quite enough.

Marcu flew back up to the rocks to meet Q10 but landed only a single wound with 2 attacks of 5 and fell shortly thereafter.

Frustrating way to end the weekend but I suppose I didn't expect to make it to Day 2 anyways. And I was 1-2 after 3 rounds yesterday and beat 2 players with better records to make it to Day 2 so there's that. Overall I played in every event (except Rainbow Wars today) this weekend and went 11-7 overall including one bye.
Old August 2nd, 2020, 06:48 PM

Online Con Championship Report

My army:
Arrow Gruts x2
Deathchasers x2
Nerak the Glacian Swog Rider
Swog Rider x4
Raelin
Otonashi (sat)

I tried to treat this like I was building a Gencon Main Event army even though it was a little bit different. I try to do something fresh every year in the Gencon Main Event, and I'm really happy with the concepts I've done over the years (AG Mimring Pod, Elf Wizards without Emiroon, X17 + Theracus, among other things). Even if that may not be the best thing to do strategically in terms of winning the event I like putting new army concepts on the map and Reverse the Whip is the best place to do that.

This build, the hybrid Deathchasers and Arrows, is something I've had in mind for a while but never actually tested until this year. Deathchasers bond with Nerak and the Swogs, and Arrows and Swogs massively benefit from Deathchasers moving up Nerak for them. From an army role perspective, you have Arrow Gruts as the ping and Deathchasers as the "engine". Raelin glues the army together. My initial build had Ice Troll instead of Raelin but after maybe two order markers of my first test game I immediately realized that I did not have the bonding turns needed to get the Ice Troll all the way across the board, and I desperately needed these guys to stay alive better. The key to the army I think is playing the two parts of the army together, and having well-timed OMs on each particular squad when you need their specialized tools (Range from AGs, big attacks from Deathchasers). The build is quite on the stronger side though. It has a massive amount of defense. I liked that because I thought online it was more likely that people brought stronger builds, since Online hasn't had the years of weakness creep that Gencon has.

Round 1 vs. Crystalman (Spiders x5, Wyvern, Estivara, Brave Arrow) on Raknar's Rift

I was a little worried about the Wyvern, but there was only one of them. I played Raelin very cautiously, not moving her at all, just building a huge wall of Orcs outside my startzone in the first round. Crystalman deployed the Wyvern a little too close to that wall and I pounced on it. I had OM1 and OM2 on Deathchasers, and ran them out of Raelin's aura to pick off the Wyvern. Most of my Deathchasers died, but the Wyvern died too. From there the game was not that interesting. The Spiders were just 2/2. They had very little chance of cracking the 5 defense Arrows and 6 defense Swogs, and I refused to move to any positions that gave the Spiders height. For maybe four consecutive rounds Crystal was unable to do any damage to my figures, until I moved up Raelin late in the game to push forward and close the game out and he managed a couple wounds on her.

1-0

Round 2 vs. Coachmuskie (Hounds x3, Krug, Eldgrim, Isamu) on Bad Moon Rising

Muskie handed me Hounds in the Reverse the Whip game which was a throwback to GC 2014 when I was handed Hounds twice in a row on Day 2 when I was playing Arrow Gruts. Muskie played my build as two waves, first Deathchasers, then Arrows, which I disagree with but it didn't work out horrible for him. Maybe against Hounds that's the right call since Hounds love the big piles of figures that this army normally ends up with when I play it. I got into the Deathchasers with the Hounds early and had some nice plagues, but then my pack movement rolls went south just when I wanted to start pushing into muskie's startzone to hit sleeping Arrows. I never got the chance to do that. The last few Deathchasers died, along with Raelin, and I had about 4 Hounds left to use or lose against the Arrows. Luckily the Arrows really struggle against the Hounds, so they did a lot of work. Krug, wounded by plagues early in the game, came out against one Swog and 3 Arrows and was able to clean up.

2-0

Round 3 vs. XTHORSAVAGEX (Tagawa, Izumi, Kozuke, Hatamato Taro, Marcu) on Drudgery

When we got matched up I was thinking this was an easy win, Hato is quite bad and it's all unique squads, I just need to pick them off before they get to me. I did not pick them off before they got to me. Thor deployed Marcu to Valda on OM1, then rushed 8 move Tagawa Samurai around the bottom side of the board straight into the heart of my pod right on to Raelin. On his OM3, he sliced one Deathchaser 3v5 to charge up the Tagawa, and then hit Raelin for four wounds with the other two. Round 2 the Tagawa are continuing to wreak havoc, now fully Bloodlusted, and I think to myself, if I don't kill them here I will lose, so I run a Swog and 3 Deathchasers all with height into the Tagawa and they counterstrike me on every single attack. I'm basically considering it a lost game at this point, but I do my best to keep the game going with AG pings. I have about 2 Swogs and 5 Arrows left at this point, but I have some space to work with since they were all sitting in my startzone. I land some ridiculous 2 and 3v6s that thin out the Tagawa, then do the exact same thing to the Izumi, as I'm climbing to the sandy center of the board. I win a crucial initiative where Thor had his OM1 on his final Izumi, OM2 and 3 on the sleeping Kozuke. I ignore the Izumi and sprint my AGs to his side of the hill and rain 3v3s down on the Kozuke. First volley kills one Kozuke, Izumi can't catch the Arrows, second volley kills the other two Kozuke. 2 OMs lost and now the game is basically over in my favor. I eat the sleeping Hato then kite the Izumi around a bit and finish him off too. Maybe the scrappiest win I've ever gotten, I thought I was done for after the Tagawa absolutely destroyed me.

3-0

Round 4 vs. dok (Axegrinders x2, Darrak, Raelin, Black Wyrmling x2, Red Wyrmling x2, White Wyrmling) on Draugur

We were both locked in for Day 2 so this game was basically playing towards a first round bye. I don't have a lot of familiarity with Dwarves since I just got my first physical squad of them recently. I tried to view this game as a learning experience in case dok and I rematched on Day 2. I got the attacks I wanted, Axegrinders on to Swogs, but I just could not find kills. dok sniped Raelin who I placed in a bad long term position because I feared the Deathchaser rush. I got a little back into the game towards the end, with my last Dwarf and Darrak doing serious work and holding good positions, but my Wyrmlings died a little easy. Time was called and dok was up on points since he still had an unwounded Raelin. I was still down for sure but I had a chance at winning with how weak the Orc offense was getting.

3-1

Round 5 vs. heroscaper2010 (Mohicans x4, Q10) on Fire Isles

I was really tired after the game vs. dok and the three games before that and running things so I don't think I played my finest game here. No particular mistakes, but I was tripping over myself double-space denying my own Swogs and had OMs on the wrong card a couple crucial times which made me leave a lot of figures on lava. I got lucky to slam Q10 for three wounds with just Arrow pings so he wasn't a factor, but the Mohicans were quite tough for me, especially as hser2010 targeted my Swogs. Once the Swogs were dead, the little guys had a lot of trouble with the Mohicans. The final two Mohicans killed five or six Orc squads and edged out a narrow win.

3-2

Day 2

Round 1 vs. Rama (Blade Gruts x4, Nerak, Grimnak, Ornak) on Caldera

Orc battle. This was a close matchup. Blade Gruts have the horde advantage but my army had the defense and range advantage. It was a very interesting early game. I was trying to very slowly roll up my horde of Blades, but a couple of Deathchasers were alone out of Raelin and Nerak's aura so I deployed a few Blades and Ornak deep into Rama's territory to pick them off. That cost me Ornak, but the Deathchasers were substantially weakened. From there Rama set up a great Arrow pod right outside his startzone. He used the water and the thin path up to the Caldera as defense. I didn't really have any great shots on to his Arrow Gruts so I rolled Grimnak on to the high middle ground and started hitting the remaining Deathchasers. It was mostly successful, but then Arrows hit Grimnak for a quick four wounds out of nowhere. I retreated Grimnak back, to where he could get Kelda next turn, and then I sent in two Blades deep to take height 3v6 shots on Swogs to hopefully slow Rama down. I hit on both shots and that was basically the game. Rama was left with one Swog, and that just was not enough to punch through the Blades.

advance

Round 2 vs. Cleon (Capuans x2, Crixus, Spartacus) on Highways and Dieways Swarm

Cleon was playing the out of steamroller. On any other board in the pool I think my army is a pretty big favorite, but on Highways and Dieways it's a game. And Cleon played the Highway to his advantage very well. The Capuans with road threatened so many places and I couldn't safely develop Arrows or Swogs. He massed his 6 Gladiators on one of the corner hills and sent in Crixus and a few Gladiators to smack a Swog. The Swogs death freed up room for my next OM, which was Raelin, to replace his spot, and she started to pin the Gladiators from getting to the rest of my very fragile army. I took sent Deathchasers into holes in the road to attack up 4v5 on the Capuans, but those attacks failed. The Deathchasers died and I was forced on my next Deathchaser OM to make a very aggressive play, sending Nerak deep around the board on to the Wannok glyph to take a low ground attack up at a Capuan, sent another Deathchaser around along with him to take an even attack at a Capuan, sent two more down into the hole to get some damage. I got a couple kills with the aggressive play and then switched over to Arrows. The Arrows really struggled as well until one crucial pair of turns. On OM3, I climbed my final Swog up on to height, bit a Capuan, and then sent an Arrow Grut to Dagmar. Dagmar won me the initiative, and the Arrow Gruts all climbed up on to height to kill the final two Capuans to knock off two of Cleon's OMs. I used the free turns to kill Spartacus, but Crixus disengaged taking the wound to up smash the last Swog. It was 3 life Crixus vs. 3 life Raelin and 3 Arrows. I sent Raelin up to height to replace the Swogs spot with my Dagmar OM1, and hit Crixus for one wound. The Arrows were fortunate enough to find 1 wound on to Crixus with their pings on my second turn, so my third turn was locking Crixus with 3 engagements and sending the last Arrow to Wannok. 1 life Crixus was forced to take the 3 unblockable hits and it killed him. It was a great game; I think my army was pretty favored but Cleon just outplayed me with the exception of leaning too heavily on the Capuans for OMs that round. I didn't have nearly as good a handle on the board and I was really tripping over myself at the start and I paid for it.

advance

Round 3 vs. Dysole (Yari x4, Raelin, James Murphy, Laglor)

Dysole always does these traditionally horde of really bad squad + Raelin + something that covers their weaknesses builds. I thought I had an okay chance since James Murphy is A+ tier against Swog Riders, but it was going to be an uphill battle since my army had so much more defense than Dysole's. Dysole played my army as two waves, Deathchasers first then Arrow Gruts. I opened with a pretty heavy Yari play, thinking they were solid enough against Chasers and bad against Arrows. They scored two kills in my first two turns with them but after that they really struggled to find anything, which was really bad for me since I just needed one or two more Deathchasers dead to cripple their offense. Meanwhile Dysole sent Raelin extremely deep to protect Deathchasers, which left the Arrows exposed. I switched to Murphy and hit a big kill on two Deathchasers and one of my own Yari. Then Murphy killed another Deathchaser and got two wounds on Nerak, forcing him to Kelda. Then Murphy went even deeper, out of my Raelin's aura, to blast a Swog and two Arrows out of the game. He got one more blast that killed two more Arrows but then the Cowboy rampage was brought down. That left two Arrows 3 Swogs and Raelin, which I thought was managable for Laglor, but it was not. Laglor engaged Raelin and never could finish her off. Raelin had some great blocks, Dysole set up a good double Swog pod and finished off Laglor with the attacks of 4 from height.

eliminated

Overall I'm happy with how I did, I won two day 2 games against good players playing well and made my third very difficult game close. I liked my build and wouldn't change it, I don't think I played it perfectly in any of my games really and I like that, it's a very challenging army.
Old August 3rd, 2020, 01:38 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

Day 2 results for those that are just skimming:

Day 2 Main Event Results:

1. dok
2. Dysole
3. Mr_Chompy
3. vegietarian18
5. XTHORSAVAGEX
5. Boromir96
5. Dompredator77
5. Cleon
9. Vegie’s Dad
9. Rama
9. heroscaper2010
9. Sir Heroscape
9. Evantage
9. Chris Perkins

I don’t know exactly how strength of schedule or tie breakers are done, but I think that’s the right order if you were to order the tie’s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegietarian18 View Post
Round 2 vs. Cleon (Capuans x2, Crixus, Spartacus) on Highways and Dieways Swarm

Cleon was playing the out of steamroller. On any other board in the pool I think my army is a pretty big favorite, but on Highways and Dieways it's a game. And Cleon played the Highway to his advantage very well. The Capuans with road threatened so many places and I couldn't safely develop Arrows or Swogs. He massed his 6 Gladiators on one of the corner hills and sent in Crixus and a few Gladiators to smack a Swog. The Swogs death freed up room for my next OM, which was Raelin, to replace his spot, and she started to pin the Gladiators from getting to the rest of my very fragile army. I took sent Deathchasers into holes in the road to attack up 4v5 on the Capuans, but those attacks failed. The Deathchasers died and I was forced on my next Deathchaser OM to make a very aggressive play, sending Nerak deep around the board on to the Wannok glyph to take a low ground attack up at a Capuan, sent another Deathchaser around along with him to take an even attack at a Capuan, sent two more down into the hole to get some damage. I got a couple kills with the aggressive play and then switched over to Arrows. The Arrows really struggled as well until one crucial pair of turns. On OM3, I climbed my final Swog up on to height, bit a Capuan, and then sent an Arrow Grut to Dagmar. Dagmar won me the initiative, and the Arrow Gruts all climbed up on to height to kill the final two Capuans to knock off two of Cleon's OMs. I used the free turns to kill Spartacus, but Crixus disengaged taking the wound to up smash the last Swog. It was 3 life Crixus vs. 3 life Raelin and 3 Arrows. I sent Raelin up to height to replace the Swogs spot with my Dagmar OM1, and hit Crixus for one wound. The Arrows were fortunate enough to find 1 wound on to Crixus with their pings on my second turn, so my third turn was locking Crixus with 3 engagements and sending the last Arrow to Wannok. 1 life Crixus was forced to take the 3 unblockable hits and it killed him. It was a great game; I think my army was pretty favored but Cleon just outplayed me with the exception of leaning too heavily on the Capuans for OMs that round. I didn't have nearly as good a handle on the board and I was really tripping over myself at the start and I paid for it.
It was a great game vegie. I think I had the upper hand the first 3/4’s (maybe more) of the game, then that one round was huge for you and you had the advantage for the remainder, but I think it felt like both of us had a decent chance the whole time. I should have placed just the first order on Capuans and the second on one of my heroes, instead of both on Capuans, if that was the case I think I’d still have advantage or it would have been close to even. Ah well, I’m really happy with how I played other than that order marker placement, and it was a really neat game - you had army advantage, but I had map advantage, but the wound glyph is awful for me and forced me to play it a particular way.

The mini Steamroller isn’t bad. It really can plow through armies that have hard OM placement, which is a common style for RtW, and really punishes bad OM placement. You also need to maximize your value out of each of your 8 units, which can be hard and not obvious to do. It struggles so much with board control though, I really can only get 1 of the glyphs (if that) and my opponent can typically contest it and get the other for free, if needed. In our game Dagmar was huge for you, and there was nothing I could do to contest it really. I was thinking about swinging a Capuan around to that side to kill a swog and/or potentially snag Dagmar for an initiative switch, but the probability it would just die from a Deathchaser was too high so I chose to keep him stationed near Spartacus.

All in all great game man!

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con