Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old July 2nd, 2018, 01:06 PM

AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby! AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby! AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby! AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby! AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby! AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby!
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Played Dixit and Pastiche with new players over beers this weekend. Dixit was a hit. Pastiche appealed more to the competitive players.

Pre-Ordered Critical Mass (both versions) from Arcane Wonders - played this one last year at GenCon and am looking forward to getting it to the table.

Currently playing:
Dixit; Catan; Pastiche; and waiting for my copy of Critical Mass to arrive from Arcane Wonders!

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
Old July 4th, 2018, 05:49 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Just got my deluxe Preorder copy of Big Trouble In Little China. Prepped this game of many components, reread the rules, watched the play through videos, and checked the Live FAQ and forums on boardgamegeek, making a very few edits. The game is not yet available for Retail sales.

I have two pals coming over for my first game later today--July 4th. It should be a liberating experience! And a good time to shoot off the very useful Chinese Fireworks item!!

The designer may be visiting here to play with us in the future.

(Edit) We had a wonderful time, and I got to shoot off Chinese Fireworks three times myself! There was both situational tactics and overall strategy to be discussed and chosen among the players. Our dice ran very cold, but we had our little triumphs along the way and kept on trucking until the Act II time ran out for us. We all can hardly wait to try it again, and I've slotted it in for other dates this month!

Last edited by chas; July 5th, 2018 at 06:59 AM.
Old July 4th, 2018, 09:23 AM
From less than zero to Hero!

Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death!

Been gaming a ton this week! Played Amerigo, Arboretum x2, Great Western Trail, Compounded, Dice Forge, and began Android Netrunner: Terminal Directive. More gaming on the way today!

My GWT game was really interesting. I tried a new strategy of focusing hard on advancing my train. I wanted to see if one could win without buying any cows. It worked surprisingly well. I lost by 19 points, but with some polishing of the strategy I can see it winning.

Like Superheroes and Comics?
C3G Project is Always Looking for New Members!

Head here to get started!

Playtesting is the most helpful thing!
Old July 10th, 2018, 01:01 PM
Wears Shades at Night

Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Haven't made an update In a while so here we go... All games I recommend
Crystal Clans - playing a whole lot of this lately in anticipation of the Four new factions coming out soon. Really love this game, and plan on preordering the Four new decks this payday. Plaid Hat has been supporting it a fair amount, with 2 Scenario's that change things up available on the website, and some interesting story about 4 of the 6 starting clans. Every Clan is very unique In Feel and going forward will continue to feel that way. The initiative mechanic is a lot of fun,and if you playing with one other person you both will have some amazing games. The artwork is great, and the balance is imperative. Not only do every Clan feel different but every Clan feels different against other Clan's.

Lowlands A very unique and brutal Eurogame about farming sheep in the Lowlands. Unlike most Euro's a ton of player interaction occur's because of this amazing Dike building mechanic. All players are working together to build a Dike,but are also working on a personal sheep farm. If the Dike breaks at the end of the game, Sheep get washed away to sea and don't count. It is a very very good game and probably my second favorite Euro after Concordia It's fairly pricey but you get a lot of stuff in the box including a small trees worth of wood. I really like the rather simplistic art. Only draw back is it's rules\iconography could use some work or take some time to learn respectively and it isn't good at only 2 players.

Last game I feel like talking about with this update is Mechs Vs Minion Just finished the Campaign for the first time and really cannot overstate how great this game is. I've never ped League of Legends, but I guess this is based in that jniverse.You can just feel the designers passion for board games. I'm now very big on programming games, but this one is just so fun and the components are absolutely stunning. Just the small touches of A Wash on every single one of the 100 minion miniatures is so stunning, along with the fact that the tray that holds them is designed to fit every minion no matter the pose which makes clean up a breeze. If any game should be played by Heroscapers it is this one. Right up our miniature loving alley. Especially if you already have about 300 other painting projects like myself because this is pre-printed.Plays 2-4 and is great with all player counts. Cooperative games aren't usually my absolute favorite but between Gloomhaven and this I have really been enjoying them. It's a bit pricey but pictures don't do it justice and this is a game I will be playing long into the future. If you want it you cannot get it anywhere but Riot Games website but we'll worth checking out and possibly spoiling yourself with.

Spread Positivity and the joys of gaming.
Old July 10th, 2018, 02:10 PM
Most Effort : Least Points

Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Local Target had one of their crazy sales.
Finally picked up personal copies of 7 Wonders, Machi Koro (The Target exclusive version with elements from the two expansions), Sheriff of Nottingham, and Small World, all for just over $50.
I had not played Machi Koro or Sheriff of Nottingham before.
Machi Koro runs into the usual issue that games like Dominion have where inexperienced tabletop players take ages to make decisions, extending game length. As it is, it has a Dominion-esque feel, allowing you to build up a powerful engine and have big power turns toward the end. (Example, buying wheat fields or Forests early on will make your late-game Fruit and Vegetable Markets and Furniture Factories into massive income-generators). While not a deck-builder, the randomness of shuffling is replaced by a Catan-type die roll on each player's turn.
All-around, a solid lite experience that isn't too daunting for beginners.

Sheriff of Nottingham was a blast as a simple bluffing game. I can highly recommend it. Wil Wheaton's Tabletop series had it a few years back, but strangely no one ever offered money to the Sheriff to request he check someone else's bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie.
Old July 14th, 2018, 06:06 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

I'm looking for a game recommendation. My son is 5 years old and really into games but not quite into reading yet. I'm not looking to force the reading thing so I'm looking for games that can be fun for both of us without having to read too much stuff to him while we're playing.

This is what we're playing right now:
• Uno (I hate this game)
• Othello
• Pente
• King of Tokyo (I explain the power cards when they come up)
• Dungeon! (I have gotten really bored of this one)
• Straw
• Robot Turtles
• LEGO Heroica

I'm getting ready to try
• Small world
• Splendor
• Star Realms (minus any cards that are finicky)
• Catan
• Citadels (minus the purple cards)
• and Carcassonne if I can talk him into it (I don't think the box looks exciting enough or something? He hasn't wanted to play so far)

I'm even thinking of playing Heroscape with some simple army cards (maybe blade gruts, arrow gruts, grimnak, and Krug).

So basically I'm looking for games where the "power text" is based primarily on numbers and symbols, rather than paragraphs of exposition. A single sentence is usually fine, especially if there are just a few sentences that are repeated often (like in Star Realms "Draw a card" or "Target opponent discards a card").

What I would like are some more games featuring RPG elements (primarily character building, dungeon crawling, and monster fighting), resource management (like a euro game), or non-abstract strategy. Most likely not all in the same game (he's still only 5 )

I looked briefly at the Tiny Epic games. They looked like they have a fair amount of text still, and they said on boardgamegeek that they're for ages 13+.

I've also been thinking about Mice and Mystics. It's been a while since I demoed that at GenCon; how much reading does it require of the mice players?

Anyway, any suggestions of games I haven't mentioned, or commentary on the ones I have?

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old July 14th, 2018, 08:22 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

5-year-olds are all over the place developmentally but take care that you don't introduce a game where your son understands how to play the game but is not old enough to get the strategy.

When he learns to read, of course, play Heroscape. In the meantime, try other kids games like Fish Eat Fish, Phantoms vs. Phantoms, and China Moon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old July 14th, 2018, 08:49 PM
Who Bummed Woo

rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

But don’t forget about the basic side of the heroscape cards. It’s how I got my son started in the wide world of table top gaming. Simply seeing the numbers for attack and move and defense with no text and getting to roll a lot of dice was a lot of fun for my boy. Easy to play and has the awesome storybook element of dragons and monsters and elves and robots and..you know the drill
Old July 14th, 2018, 09:03 PM

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
5-year-olds are all over the place developmentally but take care that you don't introduce a game where your son understands how to play the game but is not old enough to get the strategy.

When he learns to read, of course, play Heroscape. In the meantime, try other kids games like Fish Eat Fish, Phantoms vs. Phantoms, and China Moon.
That is where he's at with many of the games that we are playing right now. Why do I need to "take care" of that specifically? Will it harm his development or is it more that he will lose a lot since he doesn't know what he's doing?

--
--
--

--
Old July 14th, 2018, 09:05 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Take care because it won't be as enjoyable for you or him as a game that he can get strategically would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old July 14th, 2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
Take care because it won't be as enjoyable for you or him as a game that he can get strategically would be.
Good point. Thanks.

--
--
--

--
Old July 15th, 2018, 09:07 AM
C3G's First Fan

Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth

Mice & Mystics or Stuffed Fables would be good. Yes, they both have story lines to read (but what 5 year old doesn't love stories or the idea of Mice running around a castle as your standard fantasy tropes or Stuffed Animals battling the monsters under the bed or in the closet), not to mention they have good game play and fairly simple game mechanics.

Semi-Retired C3G Hero
(and first Official Member of the C3G Target Audience!)

The correct way to add C3G playtests to posts.
My favorite day EVER on heroscapers.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.
RIP George Perez

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games