Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old August 21st, 2010, 09:58 PM

N/A is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Dice rolling etiquette

So I've discussed this with a few people, but I would like to hear all of your methods...

So there you are in a game, your unique hero is attacked and your opponent rolls 5 dice and gets 4 skulls. You roll defense and get 2 shields and your hero dies. But wait! Your opponent realizes he rolled too many. Should he reroll? Obviously! But what if you wiffed your roll and then realized you rolled too few? Do you get a free reroll and chance to get more shields?

The possibilities are endless, but how do you guys handle dice rolling mishaps? (This also applies to dice falling outside of "designated rolling zones")
Old August 21st, 2010, 10:03 PM
The Closer

Hidicul wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hidicul wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hidicul wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hidicul wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hidicul wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hidicul wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Dice rolling etiquette

When it's a case of to many attack dice, I say reroll the whole attack. In the case of to many defense dice, just the defensive roll is re rolled. As far as not enough dice rolled, I say grab the extra dice you need and roll them, then count up the first roll and the forgotten dice. If dice fall off the table I say roll what fell and add it to the original
Old August 21st, 2010, 10:11 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

That's how I'd handle it as well. Roll too many, re-roll the whole thing. Roll too few, just roll the additional dice needed and add to what you already rolled.

-insert signature here-
Old August 21st, 2010, 10:15 PM

BurnyFlame has disabled reputation

If an offense or defense roll is incorrect in number of dice rolled due to miscalculation or some falling out of the "rolling area," we play that it does not count (as long as the next turn has not yet happened). It must be rerolled completely and not separated into multiple partial rolls. Using any part of the original flawed roll leads to complications.

A complete reroll is the simplest solution to all such dice rolling problems.
Old August 21st, 2010, 10:20 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

I agree with hidicul and nyys; that's how I handle it as well.

Some people discuss common "dice etiquette" questions at the start of the game. For instance, people will either say "I'm going to re-roll anything that jumps out of my tray" or "I'm not going to re-roll it as long as it lands flat".

In cases where these discussions didn't happen, if a die ends up rolling off the table, I'll often say "re-roll it" immediately, before it stops rolling, just to head off any potential issues.
Old August 21st, 2010, 10:21 PM

'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Also, it should be noted: Roll them all, or don't roll at all! No slow-@$$ one-at-a-time rolling dropping!

/rant

My tourney record: 14-32 or 30.43% wins
Check out my multimedia work
Old August 21st, 2010, 10:37 PM

Hrockle knows what's in an order marker Hrockle knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnyFlame View Post
If an offense or defense roll is incorrect in number of dice rolled due to miscalculation or some falling out of the "rolling area," we play that it does not count (as long as the next turn has not yet happened). It must be rerolled completely and not separated into multiple partial rolls. Using any part of the original flawed roll leads to complications.

A complete reroll is the simplest solution to all such dice rolling problems.
This is almost what we do. I generally watch the roll and try to keep track of the bonuses, so whenever we roll dice and a mishap happens, we always reroll. If a die falls off, we reroll that one die. Sometimes, if someone is having a rough day, a ghost is generally screwing with the dice so we reroll to keep him away
Old August 21st, 2010, 10:52 PM

'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Ha! I just noticed - I'm listening to a song called "Roll Right" as I'm reading this!

My tourney record: 14-32 or 30.43% wins
Check out my multimedia work
Old August 21st, 2010, 11:06 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

There was some discussion here in this thread..years ago now:

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=11728

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old August 22nd, 2010, 12:17 AM
Monster Manual Memorizer

Robotech Master has disabled reputation

my friend and I have always played it the following way:

*Rolled too few (attack or defense)? = If you catch if before we go on to the next roll, you get to roll the dice you forgot, and keep the initial roll.

*Rolled too many? = Re-roll the entire attack/defense roll with the proper dice.

*Some fell out of the box/table/whatever = Keep the dice that rolled in the target area and pick up the spilled dice and re-roll them. You can't take skulls/shields that show up on the floor.
Old August 22nd, 2010, 12:55 AM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

The only think that really gets me when playing is when my opponent rolls their dice one at a time and throws each die at a previously rolled die that landed unfavorably in an attemt to improve their "roll".

As far as too few/too many, I let my opponent decide, but then they have to play by their rule the rest of the game.

132-98-0 (4/13/09-4/15/24)
38-17-0 (10/17/09-3/9/24)
Old August 22nd, 2010, 01:42 AM

That Guy0715 is surprisingly tart

I say if there is any mishap(except kinks), re-roll the whole thing.

Spoiler Alert!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion