Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies
Movies Not Heroscape-related.

Old August 13th, 2009, 09:58 PM

'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Ponyo

I've seen commercials for this movie on Disney Channel, but it doesn't look very good, IMO. It is an anime-style movie, which is kind of out-dated. I'm not going to see it. What about you?

My tourney record: 14-32 or 30.43% wins
Check out my multimedia work
Old August 14th, 2009, 10:55 AM

Syvaris knows what's in an order marker Syvaris knows what's in an order marker
Re: Ponyo

Go rent the original, instead of a c*** American dub . Of course it will have a very large box office take because younger siblings of Disney stars are in it, epic fail
Old August 14th, 2009, 10:56 AM

Claws of Death rolls all skulls baby! Claws of Death rolls all skulls baby! Claws of Death rolls all skulls baby! Claws of Death rolls all skulls baby! Claws of Death rolls all skulls baby!

It looks dumb. I'm sorry to say it, but it does. A fish girl? Seriously? And people think godzilla's far-fetched....

"People of Gotham! Take control.... take control of your city! THIS.... this is the instrument, of your liberation...."
Old August 14th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Gets It!!!

Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Really, y'all are saying that a Miazaki movie looks dumb?

Really?

(Well, there is Kiki's Delivery Service, but still)

Anyway, I saw a preview of Ponyo at Comic Con, and it looks great. It's not an "anime-style" movie, it is an Anime and iirc it's being simultainiusly released in Japan and the US through John Laseter's (read: Disney's) link with studio Ghibli.

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.
Old August 14th, 2009, 11:43 AM

yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby!

New Miyazaki! I've been waiting for this for a while.

If you think its going to be just another anime style movie, check out Princess Mononoke, or Spirited Away, or Howl's Moving Castle, or Nausicaa, or My Neighbor Totoro.
Old August 14th, 2009, 12:27 PM

'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

What I meant by "anime" was that it is a bunch of drawings, which isn't as popular anymore. Like Syvaris said, it probably will be popular just because Disney is putting a couple of pontential stars as the main characters. That'll be why it is popular.

My tourney record: 14-32 or 30.43% wins
Check out my multimedia work
Old August 14th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Gets It!!!

Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Scaper94 View Post
What I meant by "anime" was that it is a bunch of drawings, which isn't as popular anymore. Like Syvaris said, it probably will be popular just because Disney is putting a couple of pontential stars as the main characters. That'll be why it is popular.
Really, I think it will do well because it's a Miazaki movie that's getting a large theatrical release (600 theaters in the US I beleive). Assuming it's as strong as the rest of his movies it get good reviews. Looking back I came off way more harshly that I intended.

The American voice cast looks pretty good: Matt Daemon, Cate Blanchet, Tina Fey, Liem Neeson, and yes there are some little Disney "stars" but it looks pretty good.

Edit: I just reread Scaper'94's second post. There's a HUGE difference between "anime" and "traditional animation," you really shouldnt' equivocate the two. While anime is traditional animation, most traditionally animated things are not anime.

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.
Old August 14th, 2009, 10:03 PM

Syvaris knows what's in an order marker Syvaris knows what's in an order marker

I thought it was an old film being redone for the American audience oh well still looks like C****, only a few Miazaki's i actually like (Howls, Sprited and Nausica).
Old August 15th, 2009, 07:56 AM

donjake Woo who?

Spirited away was pretty good of what I saw. But this dosent look that good. bring back the violent anime I grew up watching.
Old August 26th, 2009, 12:25 AM
"Blame it on me" (was #3...)

Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Well I saw it today and it was wonderful. Not on par with Totoro, but very good nonetheless. No Dew and gore here for you kiddies.

Sweetcurse is Sujoah...

in the
Perth Keep...
Old August 27th, 2009, 02:44 PM

Ted_Danson is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Dude, if you think REAL animation will go away, you are crazy. I love a good HAND DRAWN cartoon, like all Miyazaki movies are.

I feel that Princess Mononoke is his best work, but Ponyo is pretty awesome too. These movies are the true representation of "Anime", no song and dance, not over the top with violence, and everything feels like it belongs in the movie. I miss this "Anime". Old Gundam (the 70's and 80's Stuff), Akira, and newer being Cowboy Bebop. There is a real sense of story telling here that isn't that common now. In Japan its mainly big boobs, over the top "comedy", or blood and guts, and here it's super safe sing-a-long stuff, garbage like Shark Tale, and every 2 years a GREAT pixar movie.

Ponyo gives me hope!

PONYO!

Huggable Zombie, KingArthur1976, Utgarsrage, and Scapegeek are all great traders.
Old August 27th, 2009, 06:27 PM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Studio Ghibli is awesome!

You young'uns don't know what you're talking about! Hayao Miyazaki is masterful!

Last edited by CheddarLimbo; August 27th, 2009 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Mononoke hime for the win!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies