Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Notices

Old October 15th, 2017, 06:05 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Villain Song

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysole View Post
To answer your question bmon, some soulborgs have a gender and some don't. I decided to make her female since no soulborgs to date had been and I like messing with gendered expectations.
Ok. I always assumed any pronoun of "he" or "him" for soulborgs was just a general catch-all and not an indication of actual gender. If they do have gender, I dig it. The fact that she's an executioner makes it all the more awesome. Motherly instinct? Not here.
Yeah, I definitely view her as more of an Azula type. The gender thing is based on the fact that they have Mariedian souls (hence the name soulborgs) and that's where the gender thing comes from; some go by he and some go by it and now we have a she.

As for @Grimnak , I will fully cop to being a bit defensive about the unit since I specifically built and tested her pre submission to make sure that rats didn't break her because I really wanted the figure to work. For me specifically, using the word broken implied to me that the figure is not merely good (which was the intention), but that the figure was game breakingly good which is something I both had tried hard to not do and something which SoV had come to the conclusion she did not do. I didn't intend to shut you down. I intended to help you understand that your concerns had been taken into consideration and that the unit is something which is certainly intended to be competetive but not game breaking.

~Dysole, who honestly thinks Hops are the best pairing
Old October 15th, 2017, 06:19 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth
Re: The Book of Executioner 616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimnak View Post
Figures can be broken on a number of different levels, of course.

Units that come to mind that are broken in the sense that a.) they're used all the time because of their abilities and b.) match up well with pretty much everything:
I find most arguments on the internet and otherwise are a function of definition. The Word broken is a four letter word for SoV and C3V. Saying a unit is broken to me is saying the judges failed their jobs and let a unit that is too far off the Power Curve slip though. I think everyone on here wants to see more conversation for our beloved game, but that is likely why it feels like you ruffled so many feathers

Now if you mean the unit is better than most units but worse than some others, I'm totally cool with that. Of all the units I have put through their paces 616 might be the most competitive, but If I was playing for money in a double blind game, she wouldn't break my first 10 (maybe even 20) army choices.

By the way my favorite parring was with Boltcutter, Dwarves and a couple of Hops. You could lead with either Soulborgs or Dwarves depending on what you are up against and Boltcutter makes 616 much more dangerous.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old October 15th, 2017, 09:39 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

I like how boltcutter brings dwarves and soulborges together as well. Great job on this one guys.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old October 15th, 2017, 09:45 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

For the curious, Grimnak and I just played out rats x3 + Executioner + Isamu against Drones x5. When Executioner went down I had 12 drones left to deal with the last 4 rats and Isamu. We called it there.

It's a tempting strategy for sure, but IMO the risk/reward of blowing up your own screen just isn't there.

Last edited by dok; October 15th, 2017 at 09:46 PM. Reason: I really appreciate Grimnak being willing to give it a run.
Old October 15th, 2017, 10:59 PM

Grimnak knows what's in an order marker Grimnak knows what's in an order marker Grimnak knows what's in an order marker

Although your point stands, it definitely doesn't help when I miss every attempt at blowing up.

Even though it sounded pretty hostile in the beginning, decent conversation from a strategic standpoint.
Old October 16th, 2017, 04:07 AM

chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness

From my perspective in the game I played(admittedly only one), the explosion is sort of an opportunist/last resort move. The chance of getting no reward for your sacrificed unit and wasting a turn reeks of Peloth a little too much. I view it more as a means of disposing a depleted squad trying to get some advantage, or detonating herself in a situation she's almost certainly about to die in.

Even when performing well I just don't see her on Hydra/Q9 level.

I'm sure there will be a few games here and there where rats are good with her, but at least to me I am far more intrigued by the other options, she meshes with so many things I'm excited to mix and match.
Old October 16th, 2017, 10:48 AM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Although your point stands, it definitely doesn't help when I miss every attempt at blowing up.
That's pretty much how I felt every game I playtested her with Rats. "If only I rolled better..." came up again and again, bringing me to the conclusion that the inconsistency of this build is what holds it back. Sure, you could roll like lady luck herself, but pretty much any army will rock the world if the dice are heavily in your favor.
Old October 16th, 2017, 10:57 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

How is she with Deathstalkers or a few Hoplitrons, as they are 30-35 points each and large, so are worth the self-destruct if they can do more than 35 points of damage and have a 75% chance of at least one wound, and a 40% chance of 3 wounds.
Old October 16th, 2017, 11:04 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
How is she with Deathstalkers or a few Hoplitrons, as they are 30-35 points each and large, so are worth the self-destruct if they can do more than 35 points of damage and have a 75% chance of at least one wound, and a 40% chance of 3 wounds.
Death stalkers were a nightmare on most maps. They are speedy so bringing her up slowed them down, meaning loss of board control and first strike. It was also tough on the order markers. Worst of all 3 attacks of 3 with a "chance" at 3 auto wounds was worth more than one wound and loss of 33 points.

Hoplitrons were one of the most fun to play with. Easier to set up and didn't require giving up so many attacks. However as mention this is a last ditch effort, since 35 point is still a significant sacrifice.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old October 16th, 2017, 11:16 AM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
I spoke to many of the various builds in my review. Hops and Deathstalkers are much more likely to do damage, thus are much more fulfilling. They are, however, more costly and don't have as much board presence, which makes it sting more to destroy your own unit.
Old October 16th, 2017, 12:24 PM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

I’m actually surprised that there’s not a whole lot of talk about her with the Zettian Infantry. They work nicely together and an advantage with the Infantry over the Hops would be figures/turn.

115 Executioner 616
310 Zettian Infantry x3
400 Warden 816
450 Beorn Boltcutter

You could round out the last 50pts with Rats/Isamu or the Dumetef Guard or Drow Chainfighter x2. All of those options keep the Utgar theme.
Old October 16th, 2017, 12:55 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Certainly, it didn't help that you went 0/2. The first miss actually didn't hurt you terribly - the surviving drone attacked Executioner, but was blocked and then killed by Executioner on the next OM. But the second miss was quite costly, as I managed to double-engage Executioner, with 1 drone on height, and kept her tied down for the rest of the game until I managed to kill her.

To me, though, that second miss perfectly encapsulates the reason why it's such a problematic play. If you hit it, then great, you killed 33 points of units at the cost of a 10-pointer. (A +23 turn is nothing too exceptional, but it's fine.) But 60% of the time, you miss, and you're getting attacked. OTOH, if you had spend the turn doing something else (say, shooting with a ranged figure, or something) then the screen would still be there, guaranteed, and I'm spending my next turn attacking rats. Blowing up your own screen goes against the very advantage that Deathreavers normally give an army, and a low-percentage hit that takes up your only aggressive action of the turn is especially bad.

It speaks to the value of the power that you (correctly) chose to attack with Executioner instead of using the power whenever you had the choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoserver View Post
From my perspective in the game I played(admittedly only one), the explosion is sort of an opportunist/last resort move. The chance of getting no reward for your sacrificed unit and wasting a turn reeks of Peloth a little too much. I view it more as a means of disposing a depleted squad trying to get some advantage, or detonating herself in a situation she's almost certainly about to die in.
++ to this. That's exactly right.

Executioner is best viewed as a fairly tough, hard hitting melee soulborg with a few interesting bonding options, and a wounding power that can be deployed when a unit is near the end of its usefulness. If you've only got 2 'stalkers left, and they don't merit more OMs, sure, blow them up. If Executioner herself is down to her last life - go ahead, run her against a big hitter and hit the big red button. But it's a utility power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroscaper2010 View Post
I’m actually surprised that there’s not a whole lot of talk about her with the Zettian Infantry. They work nicely together and an advantage with the Infantry over the Hops would be figures/turn.

115 Executioner 616
310 Zettian Infantry x3
400 Warden 816
450 Beorn Boltcutter

You could round out the last 50pts with Rats/Isamu or the Dumetef Guard or Drow Chainfighter x2. All of those options keep the Utgar theme.
I also think ZIs are the best option for her most of the time, although you can argue adding Deathreavers as well, but just for their standard screening purposes. As I said above, Executioner is most useful here for her beefy attack.

Last edited by dok; October 16th, 2017 at 01:36 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs