Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Video Games
Video Games Computer and console games.

Notices

View Poll Results: What Video Game System Is The Best?
Microsoft Xbox 360 28 30.11%
Playstation Move 1 1.08%
Playsation 3 18 19.35%
Playstaion Portable (PSP) 0 0%
Nintendo Wii 23 24.73%
Nintendo DS/DSi 8 8.60%
Other (older gaming systems like Gameboy, Playstation 2, SEGA systems, etc.) 35 37.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 11th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: What Is The Best Video Game System? (Poll)

I'll agree that the gravity effects make SMG great, but other games have done it. I fully agree SMG is the very pinnacle of modern platforming. It has refined everything platforming to pretty much an art form. However, the Wiimote is wasted on it sadly, because it would be far better suited to a normal controller.

Prime is indeed better with pointer style controls (I'll disagree with the mouse/keyboard combo because I have yet to find a shooter more response than that combo). Again, a great evolutionary game though overall.

I can think of few games that are truly innovative and revolutionary (To give a good example, Bioshock revieved tons of praise from so many talking about how innovative it was. To me, It was just System Shock 2 under water Dripping with atmosphere and very well done, but hardly original. But I'll take a top shelf evolutionary game than a so-so revolutionary game any day.

EDIT: I fully agree, when a Wii game "gets" the controls right - it's a very, very sweet thing indeed.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old November 11th, 2010, 06:56 PM

Heroscaper62 has disabled reputation

Well I think Wii is doing something right because now both Playstation and Xbox are using motion controls. Does that tell you something? I also voted for Wii (along with older systems and Xbox 360), because it has some great games, like Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3. But there are also Super Smash Bros. Brawl, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, and The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess.
Old November 11th, 2010, 06:56 PM

Wonderball68 knows what's in an order marker Wonderball68 knows what's in an order marker Wonderball68 knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschild View Post
I'll agree that the gravity effects make SMG great, but other games have done it. I fully agree SMG is the very pinnacle of modern platforming. It has refined everything platforming to pretty much an art form. However, the Wiimote is wasted on it sadly, because it would be far better suited to a normal controller.
What games have done it? Just curious and not trying for a heated argument or anything but I've never seen anything like it before, and even if it has been done before I doubt it was as creative and had the same downright incredible level design. I think we agree on that though.

As for the wiimote being tacked on I disagree. None of the motion controls ever felt tacked on to me, and only added to the experience. Shaking the wiimote to make Mario attack sounds silly on paper but is so responsive and natural when you actually play it. IMO at least.
Old November 11th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Half Life 2 did a wonderful job implementing physics and gravity into it's game world. However, no platformer has done such a good job and as you said, the level design is amazing.

However, the Wiimote's motion controls detract to the game simply because it is not as responsive in this case as using a regular controller would be - it's a game that has motion controls (for the most part) added on just because they could (not that its badly implemented). Zelda was the same way. However, you ended up with a game that is less precise just because of shoe-horning of motion controls.

That said, I cannot wait to see how the new Zelda game plays, since it was built from the ground up with motion controls in mind.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old November 11th, 2010, 07:30 PM

Wonderball68 knows what's in an order marker Wonderball68 knows what's in an order marker Wonderball68 knows what's in an order marker

It's just a matter of opinion, but some of the other motion controls besides Mario's spin attack could not be done with regular controls... for example collecting and shooting star bits is a significant part of the game as well as many of the coolest levels such as ray-surfing and the rolling ball levels to name a few. The variety that motion controls offer is simply unmatched by a regular controller IMO.

I can't wait for Skyward Sword either! I just wish they would give us a release date...
Old November 11th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Fully Baked

krysto2002 knows what's in an order marker krysto2002 knows what's in an order marker

SNES would win hands down! It had beautiful graphics and a game for everyone.
Some of the best RPGs ever are SNES, including:
Chrono Trigger
FF6
Earthbound
Secret of Mana
Dragon Quest (later less grind-y version) and so on...

Not to mention excellent platformers:
Mario
Super Metroid
Megaman 7 and X1-3
Castlevania 4/5

and even had Super Punch Out! What more can you ask for?

Sometimes, you just have to start over.
Old November 11th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Founder of Democracy

TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby!

I voted Wii, Dreamcast, and the Saturn.

The Wii because it's a gamecube with a bunch of great games itself. Plus, I really like some of the homebrew games for it.

The Dreamcast and Saturn because they have some of the best games ever made. (soul calibur 1, Panzer dragoon saga, etc.)

I like the NES, but I don't think it is anywhere near as good as the great gamecube/dreamcast/saturn games. You can get a better quality game in flash.
Old November 24th, 2010, 02:59 PM

Corzan is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy0715 View Post
Faulty poll. PC is the best.
Your sig. Is awesome. I actually lol'ed when I got to the end.

Kinda (sorta) taking a break from HSers. Check out Toraili, a group effort by me and I Hate Atlaga.

And if there's one thread I'll still post in, it's the Minecraft thread, here.
Old December 8th, 2010, 05:46 PM

The Deadliest Warrior knows what's in an order marker The Deadliest Warrior knows what's in an order marker

Nintendo 64.

Goldeneye 007
Mario Kart 64
Donkey Kong 64
Mario Party on the 64

'Nuff said.

'My dog's got no nose.'
"How does it smell?"
'Terrible.'
Old December 9th, 2010, 03:18 PM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby!

Okay, I kid, I kid. But the only reason I'm kidding is because it doesn't have enough games. It had a lot of potential, and the only thing that holds it back is the small library of games.

Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision. A person should have the right to their own body. "Sometimes you're right but you're always an asshole." - Anonymous neg rep

Last edited by ParaGoomba Slayer; December 9th, 2010 at 03:25 PM.
Old December 9th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Dr Feelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaGoomba Slayer View Post

Okay, I kid, I kid. But the only reason I'm kidding is because it doesn't have enough games. It had a lot of potential, and the only thing that holds it back is the small library of games.
That and the mind rupturing headaches. And the one color.

Old December 9th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Watch out - he's a meme drunk!

Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaGoomba Slayer View Post

Didn't you buy one?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Video Games