Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs
AotV Customs A place for Arena of the Valkyrie Customs

Old November 10th, 2019, 11:35 PM

Fakeraistlin is surprisingly tart
Re: [Pod 1] UNIT NAME (Ob Nixilis, Demon of Spite) - Design

How about -1 DEF 3 spaces AURA LINE OF SIGHT, -2 DEF AURA ADJACENT.
Old November 12th, 2019, 01:17 PM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I've been relatively quiet here lately, but I've still been following the threads here actively and excited to see the progress that's being made on all the new units!

I also thought I'd throw out a suggestion as a way to differentiate Ob's aura from Gothlok. What if you added an engagement requirement? As a possibility:

Quote:
Awful Fear Aura (just spitballing a name)

All enemy units within four clear sight spaces who are engaged with one of your figures subtract 2 from their defense.
Obviously the details could be tweaked (I've already got a feeling that -2 defense is quite possibly too strong). Obviously this counters melee armies pretty strongly, but ironically works best when drafting melee units in your own army. It does run the risk though of making the deathreavers even more of an auto-inclusion.

You could also go the other way and make the aura only affect enemy units who are unengaged, but I don't like how that would discourage Ob from working with melee units. Perhaps something like this could work?

Quote:

All enemy units within four clear sight spaces who were unengaged at the beginning of this turn subtract 2 from their defense.
I think I like how this would play out mechanically; it actually discourages spamming deathreavers and helps the wolves of Badru out quite a bit, but it might be a little more complicated than what we are looking for for this set?
Old November 12th, 2019, 01:18 PM

Jaur0n is surprisingly tart

Can we work it so the ability checks the card for any ranged attacks and if so applies -2, if not applies -1? If applying different reductions in defense is an issue I'd be cool with it only working units with a ranged attack.

This would make it more interesting to me at least.

Last edited by Jaur0n; November 12th, 2019 at 01:29 PM. Reason: reasons
Old November 12th, 2019, 01:35 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

@Captain Stupendous I like your second idea actually. In thoery I like @Jaur0n 's as well but don't know how I feel about refencing the range value on a card (I guess the redacted Laglor did). I have another a similar idea, how about a ranged aura that is -2D against EITHER squads or common figures but -1D on all else.
Quote:
Opponent's Squad figures within 4 clear sight spaces of [ON] roll 2 less defense die. Opponent's Hero figures within 4 clear sight spaces of [ON] roll 1 less defense die.
Again the power can sub Squad/Hero with Common/Unique (would we rather it affect Unique Squad or Common Hero figures?) but I think something that overall is better against common squads (whether melee or range) but is still good against unique heroes would be nice. It is powerful as -2 Defense is ~roughly the same odds as +1.333 attack (subtracting 2/3 average defense vs adding 2/3 average attack) , so would need to be a costly figure, say in ~140-170 range (more than Gothlok/Raelin 2.0, less than Taelord).

Please comment if you like mine, Captain Stupendous', Jaur0n's, or anther previous suggestion.

Also which word is better (any precedence ) between "unfriendly", "nonfrendly", "opponent", or "enemy" figure?
Old November 12th, 2019, 01:41 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaur0n View Post
Can we work it so the ability checks the card for any ranged attacks and if so applies -2, if not applies -1? If applying different reductions in defense is an issue I'd be cool with it only working units with a ranged attack.

This would make it more interesting to me at least.
We could make a "Range value of two or more" condition, but that's too much of an obvious anti-meta for my tastes.

I understand the desire to not step on Gothlok's signature power, and I agree. So let's try to be honestly different but with the same feeling, not just some variation of -x defense.

Quote:
FRAILTY AURA
When an opponent's figure within 4 clear sight spaces of <unit> rolls defense dice against a normal or special attack, if more than one shield is rolled, remove one of those shields.
Old November 12th, 2019, 01:44 PM

The Long eared bat knows what's in an order marker The Long eared bat knows what's in an order marker The Long eared bat knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
FRAILTY AURA
When an opponent's figure within 4 clear sight spaces of <unit> rolls defense dice against a normal or special attack, if more than one shield is rolled, remove one of those shields.
I like that.

Long live heroscape
Old November 12th, 2019, 01:55 PM
Sally Struthers' other brother

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun

I think having it effect attacks done at range more would be more interesting as well. -2 def in melee is pretty harsh and would need to be heavily costed as a result. May have to differentiate with normal and special attacks.

Fear labeling would then set fearless units to be immune, which may not be a bad thing.

C3V and SoV! Fanscape r0xxorz!!
Old November 13th, 2019, 01:14 AM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

I like Scy's aura.
Old November 13th, 2019, 11:38 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

@Scytale interesting idea. Even with 3 defense it can reduce average defense slightly (-25.9% if I did my math right). In theory it is like reducing any defense above 3 to 1/3 of >3 (so 6 defense is ~like 4 defense, 4 defense is ~like 3.3333). I am simplifying math a little but think the idea is interesting (even if needs worded better). I do like that it does not seem overpowered when stacked with Gothlok or any of the Attack boosters. For wording, this is slightly better but seems too formal, maybe others have ideas:
Quote:
FRAILTY AURA
When an opponent's figure within 4 clear sight spaces of <unit> rolls defense dice against a normal or special attack, if more than one shield is rolled, subtract one from the number of shields rolled.
Old November 13th, 2019, 12:44 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
@Scytale interesting idea. Even with 3 defense it can reduce average defense slightly (-25.9% if I did my math right). In theory it is like reducing any defense above 3 to 1/3 of >3 (so 6 defense is ~like 4 defense, 4 defense is ~like 3.3333). I am simplifying math a little but think the idea is interesting (even if needs worded better). I do like that it does not seem overpowered when stacked with Gothlok or any of the Attack boosters. For wording, this is slightly better but seems too formal, maybe others have ideas:
Quote:
FRAILTY AURA
When an opponent's figure within 4 clear sight spaces of <unit> rolls defense dice against a normal or special attack, if more than one shield is rolled, subtract one from the number of shields rolled.
The most interesting aspect of the aura is that it is more punishing for higher-defense units (or anyone in Raelin's aura). And, as you note, it really doesn't stack well with any other defense-reducing powers.

I like that wording.
Old November 13th, 2019, 01:12 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

I don’t see why folks are bent out of shape about using Gothlok’s power. As a non-C3V insider, it’s his Charge that’s his signature power, not his Aura. Auras got reused a bit in ‘scape already. And any of them that put a “creative” twist on it always felt flat. Kiova’s Gift of the Empress could have been simply +1 Defense for Einarian Kyrie and she would have been seen as just as a crappy Raelin rather than a total waste of points.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old November 13th, 2019, 01:19 PM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
Quote:
FRAILTY AURA
The most interesting aspect of the aura is that it is more punishing for higher-defense units (or anyone in Raelin's aura). And, as you note, it really doesn't stack well with any other defense-reducing powers.

I like that wording.

Quote:

All enemy units within four clear sight spaces who were unengaged at the beginning of this turn subtract 2 from their defense.
While I still like my suggestion for an engagement-based condition, I really like Scytale's idea as well, especially the way it punishes figures with higher defense.

One question that isn't 100% clear is how this aura would interact with Tough and similar powers. I am guessing that as worded above, the bonus shields for Tough wouldn't count towards triggering the aura, so a Gorrillinator who rolled one shield plus the automatic one for tough would not have any shields removed, despite being within the aura. This is probably a relatively simple ruling for most players to make, but I could still see it potentially tripping up new players.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs