Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old October 20th, 2019, 02:42 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Casters of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonwiker View Post
Just finished up the 2 hour episode, I enjoyed it. It’s very different for me to hear how you guys feel about certain units, and I suppose it mostly makes sense since you speak from a competitive/gencon experience, and I’ve only played scape with maybe 20 people total.

I’ve always loved the Feral Troll (let’s say that him, Syvarris, DW9K, and Zombies are my “pet” units that I typically just love regardless..) and from my experience with the troll, it is exactly as you guys say: he gets trashed by almost anything with multiple attacks, and he really only pulls his weight in hero only games, or in end game phase where there’s half squads or wounded heroes remaining on the map.

I know this unpopular opinion, and it’s my personal one, but I just hate Raelin (RotV anyway, SotM isn’t nearly as borked.) I 100% agree that she makes bad units usable, but she also makes so many high tier units even better/sturdier, and I feel that she is about as brain-dead easy to use as 4th Mass.

As far as ideas for content, here’s my two cents:

Go (maybe even in set/unit release order) over how you feel every unit in Heroscape can be best used and also how to best defeat/bypass them, maybe sticking strictly to rtw and prebuilt blind games. Perhaps in one episode, review the RotV set, and then in the next, review wave 1, and then 2, etc. Just an idea from me, and it is selfishly suggested because I feel like I would both be most interested in that content, and glean the most knowledge from it.

At the very least, it is a ton of content that can be produced, if the demand is there and you guys feel like supplying it.

Nice job, regardless!

Edit: Just remembered; constructive criticism - it sounds like somebody was breathing into their mic throughout that episode? Whatever it was, it wasn’t particularly pleasing to listen to. It’s minor issue that could probably easily be improved upon/fixed.
Wow, thanks so much for all this feedback! I'm glad you enjoyed it, but we definitely have plenty to work on.

It's important to note that local metas vary, and the values of units often depend on what you play against (like in the case of the Feral Troll). If your local group runs a lot of heroes, he's pretty solid. If they spam commons like the 4th Mass and Stingers, he'll get destroyed. We will usually be talking in the context of A- level armies and better, and he just doesn't pull his weight against that tier.

Raelin is definitely stupid and easy to use. We like her impact on the RtW meta for allowing weird units and lower numbers of commons, but she's terrible for the game in standard double blind games.

I like your idea on going through the units, although we'll be doing it from the top of the power rankings down/families of units. The reason for this is that talking about units often depends on the other units you'll pair with them. Take Grimnak; talking about Grimnak by himself isn't very useful, as he should be bonding. I think it makes more sense to talk about the melee bonding Orcs family as a whole: ie, Heavies, Blades, and the Orc Champions.

I'm not sure who the breathing was, sounds like it might have been a couple of us who were using headphones with mics close to our faces. I'll have us try recording without headphones next time.

Thanks again!
Old October 21st, 2019, 05:09 AM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

The Feral Troll is so bad because he gets destroyed when you spam any commons, it doesn't have to be top or high tier ones. Even low tier squads eat him up. And it's not like he wins heavy against the majority of heroes, he wants wounded heroes and to be able to dance around and abuse his healing. He's incredibly niche.

Yeah I'm definitely down to talk about every unit, not sure how we'll go about it order-wise but every unit is eligible for discussion. And Mike is right, when you talk about a unit and its power you have to take into account its synergies and "families". I don't like when people talk in a competitive manner about a unit in too much of a vacuum, or when people compare two units competitively and only talk about the head-to-head. I don't think it's accurate at all. It's hard to talk about Grimnak and not talk about the Heavies.

Last edited by Cleon; October 21st, 2019 at 05:50 AM.
Old October 21st, 2019, 09:52 AM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth

Man, Feral Troll is one of my current quarterly work passwords. Y'all are going to shame me into changing my password early.
Old October 21st, 2019, 10:41 AM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindola View Post
Man, Feral Troll is one of my current quarterly work passwords. Y'all are going to shame me into changing my password early.
I’m surprised it didn’t ask for a stronger password.
Old October 21st, 2019, 01:29 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindola View Post
I’m surprised it didn’t ask for a stronger password.
That. Is. Funny. well played.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old October 21st, 2019, 01:32 PM
Frank Lloyd Wright of Scape

Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I'm excited to give this a listen! I hope it comes to Apple Podcasts soon!

Maps | OHS Maps | Customs
"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Old October 21st, 2019, 01:38 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_19 View Post
I'm excited to give this a listen! I hope it comes to Apple Podcasts soon!
Thanks for the interest! I’m not sure why Apple Podcasts takes so long to approve new shows; once we’re initially approved, new episodes should appear on Apple pretty quickly after they’re posted elsewhere.
Old October 21st, 2019, 05:53 PM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth

Feral Troll is an interesting fella. He is hot garbage in competitive blind or reverse the whip formats, but can be a monster in pod draft or mixed splash armies. (I think vegie might have touched on this in one of the various power rankings floating around)

I thought @vegietarian18 was going to write a dissertation on threat ordering once after Feral was a key cog in a pod that went 6-0 at an NHSD tournament.
Old October 21st, 2019, 06:53 PM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

Yeah I probably did have a lot to say about threat sequencing in 2016 or whenever that tournament was. It really is a crucial part of a pod draft format since the pieces of a pod draft army obviously fit together less cleanly than even a splash army. In pod draft and other draft formats you kind of have to play your pieces separately and so will your opponent so playing them in the proper order into your opponent's likely plays is really important.

It really is only a significant concept in drafting though.
Old October 21st, 2019, 08:28 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Sequence of Events

I know I've threat sequenced when I'm playing one of those splash/toolbox armies at Gencon. I know when I played Q23 in 2018, he wasn't expecting me to lead with Tarns and PKs and that was crucial in getting the win over him. I also know that threat sequencing helped me a lot in my 2019 day 2 match against IS because it meant I had a full exo Mezzo to kill the last Nakita (yes he kept rolling smoke powder and ended up killing it and kiting the rest of the army for the win, but ignore that; the theory is sound). He also brought out archers earlier than normal to fight some of my units (killing the other Mezzo with a special), so he was also threat sequencing well as he did end up with a Nakita at the end which if you're going to have a single figure from that army, that's the one I'd pick.

Threat sequencing matters when both armies can play a variety of threats and aren't hurt drastically by playing those threats in different orders. If neither of those situations are in play, then threat sequencing is much less important. If it's in play (as it is in most draft like events), then it is often very integral to the victory.

~Dysole, who knew she did this, but didn't have verbiage for it until now
Old October 22nd, 2019, 01:18 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

We are officially live on Apple Podcasts!

Edit: also, check out our Listener Questions thread, here.

Last edited by OEAO; October 22nd, 2019 at 02:04 PM.
Old October 22nd, 2019, 01:46 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Mazel tov!!!

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion