Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books
Books Not Heroscape-related.

Notices

Old May 22nd, 2007, 12:18 AM
Man Genius

InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Oh, I get it. Inheritance Trilogy means those crappy Eragon books. I didn't put that together.

Those books are god-awful. Horrible character development, no originality to speak of, and an extraordinarily immature storyline. Eragon is a whiny little jerk (like Nether said, Eragon = Luke Skywalker), too.

I don't have any desire to read the third one.

Now, a book I thought was actually pretty cool was The Ranger's Apprentice. My son bought it, and I read it, and I really enjoyed it. He has the sequel, and I need to read that, too.

http://drakesflames.blogspot.com
Drake's Flames, my crassly opinionated game review site. Updates three times a week.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 12:19 AM

Chimpy knows what's in an order marker Chimpy knows what's in an order marker
Yeah, the guy has horrible prose and the book is little more than Star Wars in a LOTR setting. They are little more than a guilty pleasure for me.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 12:27 AM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
I couldn't get more than half way through Eldest. Eragon was OK at best, and Eldest just ended up boring the crap out of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpy
Yeah, the guy has horrible prose and the book is little more than Star Wars in a LOTR setting.
Which is why, if in Inheritance, Galbatorix reveals he is Eragon's father, I'm hunting Paolini down and beating the crap out of him

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old May 22nd, 2007, 02:35 AM

dra(gon) has disabled reputation
what me shocked about eragon was the movie, they change alot.
and after lotr is miss the real background in eragon. that shows that tolkin rules.
and not someone who tales stuff from lucas who take things from lotr (an bulid a good background)

the silliest thing are the dragons !!! they could be 1000 of years old.

in eragon they evo like a pokemon are in eegs 300 years old. and if the raider die they die too ok dragon riders life longer than normal humans. but then must most of them life more than 3000 years.

if we belive that in eragon humans are only 400 on agasia(iq desing?)
Old May 22nd, 2007, 02:12 PM

Rodriquez has disabled reputation
ok my wife got these books and I've read the 1st one as well as saw the movie..

Movie....has to be one of the biggest pieces of trash I've come across..bad acting...bad effects....poor plot.... it's just bad....

The Book is just as bad...badly written, poorly thought out, contradictory..
character's are vera base and no have no real depth to them.
same with the plot it's just vera base.

I'm not saying that it could have been better...h**L that is what I'm saying
it could have been so much better than what it was.

personally I wanna know who all this kid parent's knew to get the books published and get a movie deal outta it...but than again here lately it seems like all the poorly done stuff is getting lotsa of advertising for it.

good trades:Caravaggio, Gabbi, Drfeelgood,aljovin,vydar,rrhino,boom, Pallindromemaster, spidysox, Eckels, wytefang, Rym, Armegeddon, Fatboy Chubby, Forgehammer, Grison
Old May 22nd, 2007, 02:27 PM
Mintiest of the Minty

markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I thought people here might go easy on poor ole Eragon. I thought wrong. :P

I won't bash Eragon the movie...in fact I thought it wasn't half bad considering that most of the films about dragons are given the made for television treatment and run on Saturday nights on the Sci Fi channel. If you want drivel watch the first ten minutes of the Dungeons and Dragons movie....you won't watch the rest I promise.

As for the books? Meh. If I want to read books that have some immaturity to them I read Harry Potter. And like you nether I am actually looking very forward to that book.

And Hahma you should definitely read Stormfront. It will take you no time at all and you'll get to experience the coolness that is Harry Dresden. I thank nether profusely everytime I finish one of those books now. They are awesome.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 05:17 PM

Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodriquez
personally I wanna know who all this kid parent's knew to get the books published and get a movie deal outta it...but than again here lately it seems like all the poorly done stuff is getting lotsa of advertising for it.
It's actually a rather inspiring story. The parents helped loan him the money to SELF-publish the book at first, and he did all the advertising and promotion on his own, until the popularity of it swelled to the point that a major publisher took notice and offered him a contract.

While I think Eragon is a rather mundane fantasy novel, borrowing an awful lot from various sources, I am impressed by the success of the author. It's a cool success story.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:02 PM

tmacdagreat has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityMax
Oh, I get it. Inheritance Trilogy means those crappy Eragon books. I didn't put that together.

Those books are god-awful. Horrible character development, no originality to speak of, and an extraordinarily immature storyline. Eragon is a whiny little jerk (like Nether said, Eragon = Luke Skywalker), too.

I don't have any desire to read the third one.

Now, a book I thought was actually pretty cool was The Ranger's Apprentice. My son bought it, and I read it, and I really enjoyed it. He has the sequel, and I need to read that, too.
That book is awesome. My friend picked it up at the beginning of the school year and told me a little bit. I read the second one in 1 day . They are awesome and I can't wait for the third!!
But ya the movie of Eragon was horrible. I really loved Eragon until I realized it was Star Wars.

«cookie - once you have it, you love it.»
http://www.heroscapers.com/images/05.gif
Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:22 PM

Dictatorbilbo is surprisingly tart
I liked the first book until about half-way through, when I started to notice phrases that he lifted word-for-word from Tolkein.

(Has anyone else noticed this? It was around when he fought the Orcs for the first time)

MR. GRUBBY'S
GRAND ADVENTURE

~ ONLY IN THE ~
KAUNAN KEEP
Old May 24th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by netherspirit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma
Maybe that Dresden Files series you've mentioned. We'll see.
Maybe? I can't recommend those books enough. Read the Dresden Files. You won't regret it. Storm Front is number 1.
I picked up Storm Front yesterday and am digging it so far. Thanks for the recommendation.

Is the series continuous from one book to another, or does each book stand on it's own? At the Borders that I was at, they had the first, third, fourth and so on, but they didn't have the second book. I was temped to buy the third one too, but I didn't want to skip the sequence unless each book stood on its own.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old May 24th, 2007, 07:58 PM

tmacdagreat has disabled reputation
Ya Ill check that out

«cookie - once you have it, you love it.»
http://www.heroscapers.com/images/05.gif
Old May 27th, 2007, 08:33 PM

The Malicious Pigpig has disabled reputation
I've heard it rumored that the third book will be called "Empire". This would go along with the beginning letter "E" and it being six letters long as in "Eragon" and Eldest".

Geez. that is such a lame ploy. It's really not that clever. haha.
But I haven't read and have no intentions of reading Eldest or the third. Eragon was terrible, but his age did make it somewhat impressive. I guess. maybe.
Anyways, bring on Deathly Hallows!
and let us pray there will be no Eldest movie.

The mind is a terrible thing to taste.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books