Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old August 22nd, 2016, 04:29 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Not sure which one that was. We didn't use a bus, you would have to go to the train station and pay $1 or use a ticket you aquired to go to one of the other boards.

Some locations you visit have clue tokens you get for going there, and they can be used for various things, such a rerolling dice or spend 5 of them to seal off a gate after going through it. Some locations have something listed on the board by them that allow you to do something, but all locations have encounter cards you have to deal with. The encounters can be good or bad, but generally require you to pass a skill test, such as Luck, Lore, Combat etc.

You can lose stamina (health) or sanity. Most of the characters stamina/sanity add up to 10. Mine for example had stamina of 4 but sanity of 6.

Characters each have special abilities and starting items and money. They each have the same 6 skills, but the ranges of those skills can be different. Also, 2 skills are tied together with a slider/donut token thing. So speed and sneak will be tied together, so the faster you set your speed, the lower your sneak will be. Of you lose all your sanity, you will go to Arkham Asylum. You will get one sanity back, but I think you have the option to draw a card that gives you a permanent disability but you get all your sanity back. If you ever get a second of the same of those cards, you become devoured and die, and need a new character.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old August 22nd, 2016, 06:01 PM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
It sounds the same. Move from place to place, town to town. There was bus(I remember because I was the driver), cultists and some kind of demon things.

Cards were clues and sometimes artifacts. You could lose your sanity and then had to flip your card. Did not finish but we were doing well. I think we were not playing the 'share cards' rule right.
That sounds like it could be Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu. I don't believe it's been released yet, but was definitely supposed to be at GC.
Old August 22nd, 2016, 07:01 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Yes. That is it.

Thanks A3n.

It was really fun, pretty straightforward.

I had no idea it was a new release, that was quite the opportunity we stumbled upon in the hotel hallway.

I guess I am a board gamer now.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old August 22nd, 2016, 11:29 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by A3n View Post
Quote:
It sounds the same. Move from place to place, town to town. There was bus(I remember because I was the driver), cultists and some kind of demon things.

Cards were clues and sometimes artifacts. You could lose your sanity and then had to flip your card. Did not finish but we were doing well. I think we were not playing the 'share cards' rule right.
That sounds like it could be Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu. I don't believe it's been released yet, but was definitely supposed to be at GC.
Good call A3n, I forgot about that one.

Quote:
Yes. That is it.

Thanks A3n.

It was really fun, pretty straightforward.

I had no idea it was a new release, that was quite the opportunity we stumbled upon in the hotel hallway.

I guess I am a board gamer now.
Welcome aboard

Old August 22nd, 2016, 11:52 PM
Prickly Cactus

Played a couple games tonight, one a longer one and the other a 10 minute dexterity game.

First game is called Vast: The Crystal Caverns - This is a very cool game that my friend Zack brought. It's basically a dungeon crawlish game, but each player is playing independently and each has their own player board that is different that the other players, as well as their own winning conditions.

There's the Knight, who wants to kill the Dragon to win. He needs to do things to buff his grit to level up to make him stronger. He can get neat things from getting treasure.

There's the Dragon (me), who starts off in a slumber but not fully asleep, as he can do some stuff. His goal is to wake up fully and exit the cave. He has certain cubes in sections at the top of his board, and can move them down to a lower section from completing certain tasks. If he had killed 2 goblins, he can bring down a cube, if he gets a treasure he can bring down a cube, if he lays down a dragon gem when there was already one in the dungeon he can move a cube down, if he reveals an encounter tile he can bring a cube down. The track at the bottom is numbered 1-15, and for every couple cubes he places in ascending order, his armor and card draw can increase, as he's becoming more awake. When he gets 11 cubes down there, he's fully awake when on a crystal tile and just needs to leave the cave to win. He has a deck of cards that have a claw, wing or fire symbol on them and starts with a hand of 3, but it goes up to maybe 7 as he gets more awake (I got him to get 6 cards and just awake). He can spend those cards using the appropriate symbols for a number of different actions from his player board. He can attack, move stuff around, reveal darkened tiles and many other things.

The Thief needs to get a certain number of treasure or dragon gems captured, and then escape. He is easy to kill and respawns at the entrance, but drops some treasure each time. As he gets more treasure, he gets stealthier and has other abilities that make him tougher.

The Goblins want to kill the Knight to win. There are 3 tribes of Goblins and they can come up from many different places and set traps and hex opponent's etc.

Finally, there's The Cave. Yes, someone can be The Cave. That player will be laying out more tiles in a certain fashion but has to be aware and help some players but not too much and hurt some players but not too much. As the Cave, he wants the game to go longer because once all the cave tiles are out, he can start to callapse the cave and if he collapses it onto all the other players, then he can win. He has neat abilities that can affect all the other players to weaken them. He sent out some spores at me a couple times that forced me to bring a cube from the bottom track back up to one of the top ones, as it put me more into slumber and delayed me.

Very asymmetrical as each player has totally different rules (2 page rule sheet each player needs to read before playing), different abilities and winning conditions. Very cool game for sure. I was one turn away from winning when the thief was able to move past some barriers that the cave put up and was able to escape right before I could.

The next game is a fun little game called Rollet. You basically have to drop metal balls down a slide to try to knock the wooden ball into the other team's goal, and they are trying to do the same thing. You play up to 5.

Old August 23rd, 2016, 12:06 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

We played about 15 minutes of Vast at GC. The *last* 15 minutes. It was our sense that it was an enormous game. The guys we joined had been playing for hours, and one of them (the Goblin) just walked away from it. I thought they were wrapping up and so we sat for what I thought was the last round, because everybody was so close.

It turned out that nobody was winning, so we eventually got another turn. I hadn't been paying attention to our own instructions - I'd been peeking at everybody else's - but KidScaper had been reading ours. When it was our turn again, he played a card and made a move and we killed the knight and won. Yay!

It had two features that stood out to me: First of all, each player has his own instruction sheet. It is an almost completely asymmetrical game, played out inside the Cave, which is (as you say) in a 5 player game, one of the players. Each player moves differently, does completely different things on his turn, and strives for a different win condition. It is an extraordinary feat of game design.

It also seemed - and this stood out quite clearly - exhausting. How long did it take, Hahma?

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old August 23rd, 2016, 12:24 AM
Prickly Cactus

It took a couple hours D.S., but part of that was in players reading over their rules and asking Zack some questions before we started.

Part of the problem for first time players is that there is their own set of rules and winning conditions, so even after initially reading them before the game, you still have to glance at the rules from time to time. As the game goes on, it becomes more important what you do on your turn, because you see other players getting closer to their winning conditions, so you have to keep that in mind on your turn so you don't do something that helps them too much. As the dragon, I had to leave a dragon gem on my tile at the end of every turn, but that helped the thief, depending on where he was and where I was. But I needed to end my turn in a certain place to gain treasure and maybe use a flame ability to reveal an encounter tile so I could get more of my cubes from the top to my waking up track. So then it becomes more of a balancing act, and the cave has things it can do as well throughout the game to slow you down if you get too powerful, and other players are certainly going to point that out.

So the length of our game was largely due to 5 first time players, as well as having a full 5 player game. I can see it getting down to maybe 90 minutes with experienced players at 5 player count.

I wouldn't say it was exhausting, at least not for us anyway. We were engrossed with it and even though there was some downtime between turns, you learn to pay attention to what others are doing or gaining on their turn. As the Dragon, I could look at my hand of cards and maybe plan something, but then other players might not be in the same position when it's my turn, or the stupid Goblin player right before me puts a hex on me and makes me discard all my cards. Cards are what let you use your abilities as the dragon. Also, my turns took awhile as there are so many combinations of cards to spend on abilities, kind of resource management and trying to optimize your turn, because you discard all the cards at the end of your turn, shuffle and draw back up. So there's no benefit from saving any cards on your turn.

Also, considering I played a 3 hour game of Arkham Horror on Saturday, I've been used to some longer games. But this one has a little more mental stress as you have to keep track of other players stuff as well as trying to figure out your own best moves.

Old August 23rd, 2016, 07:57 PM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendal View Post
I got Machi Koro at GC this year, it is a fun light game, anyone else playing this one? I just saw the expansion for it. so now I want to get that also.
There are actually two expansions for it, as well as a different version of it exclusively at Target (which you don't really need at all if you already have the game).

Be sure to play the expansions with the BGG variant that sets up the cards in ten random stacks like this:
DECK 1- Cards valued 1-6 (But no purple cards)...Draw 5
DECK 2- Cards valued 7-14 (Again no purple cards)...Draw 5
DECK 3- All of the purple cards...Draw 2

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.
Old August 24th, 2016, 11:22 AM
Sleeps with Monkeys

Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Thanks Jim, I will try that, didn't even think to check variants
Darn that target, must buy it, he he

Heroscape - The Game I Have Waited My Whole Life For!
GenCon - a must for any true Scaper!
Old August 24th, 2016, 11:25 AM
Sleeps with Monkeys

Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Got to play above and below for the first time, very interesting game, a 3 way tie between 2 noobs and 1 of the 2 that knew the game, so I felt good about that, need to play a few more times though.

Old August 24th, 2016, 04:19 PM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendal View Post
Got to play above and below for the first time, very interesting game, a 3 way tie between 2 noobs and 1 of the 2 that knew the game, so I felt good about that, need to play a few more times though.
Good game!

Old August 24th, 2016, 08:19 PM
Sleeps with Monkeys

Hahma - I really enjoyed it, I could see needed a new play book to read out of in a few months, but besides that, great game.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games