Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Comics
Comics Not Heroscape or Marvel Heroscape.

Old June 21st, 2009, 10:04 AM

wdgrant knows what's in an order marker wdgrant knows what's in an order marker
Re: The Independent/"Adult" Comics Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disposable Hero View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
I can get into heavy. Just so long as the characters have depth and come off as interesting human beings, I can get into it.
Watchmen, then. But, if you're prepared, read one of those. But Preacher is pretty controversial.
I love Ennis, and Preacher is great. Heavy isn't really the only warning. There are many cringeworthy moments in all his books. Don't read them if you are easily offended.

With that warning, Preacher is the book of his with the most depth for the characters. His other books have people who can be very caricature-like. That doesn't mean they aren't worth reading. Preacher is in my top three series of all time; Starman (by James Robinson) and Sandman round out the three. By series, I mean ongoing book at one point. Watchmen, Dark Knight, etc. fall outside of this category to me.
Old June 21st, 2009, 10:03 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

My top series of all time is Invincible. Hard to say beyond that - I love Batman but the sheer volume of his various series has tended to dilute the overall quality a bit.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old June 23rd, 2009, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
My top series of all time is Invincible. Hard to say beyond that - I love Batman but the sheer volume of his various series has tended to dilute the overall quality a bit.
I have the first two or three trades of Invincible, but it never quite grabbed me. I do love Kirkman's The Walking Dead. It may be my current favorite series (or a close second to Criminal).

I also am a Batman fan. I assume you have read Year One and The Dark Knight Returns. Those are two of my favorite Batman stories.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 11:30 AM

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Year One is great. I find DKR a bit uneven for my tastes, honestly. It's definitely an Elseworlds version of Batman. Though the fight with Superman is definitely worth the cost of admission.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old June 24th, 2009, 04:04 PM

Disposable Hero is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Lightbulb Re: The Independent/"Adult" Comics Thread

Has anyone read Maxwell Strangewell? It's the weirdest comic I've ever read. It's about this photographer girl whho finds an amnesiac alien who can only communicate through empathetic telepathy and supposedly he's a source of ultimate power. It gets weirder: The supporting cast is two space pirates, two Tibetan monks, a foulmouthed alien the size of an action figure, the photog girl's father (who's a doctor), an FBI agent whose partner turns out to be an evil alien, and a guy who lives on the moon and looks like Moses until he enters the Earth's atmosphere (by jumping) and burns all his skin off. The villains are a race of evil accountants who have a third eye that pops out of their heads and another race called the Dragul who are led by the vicious General Bloodsow. Yes, Bloodsow.

Demerge Disney And Marvel!!!
Old June 24th, 2009, 09:18 PM

I haven't read it ... but now I want to!

Old July 4th, 2009, 09:39 PM

I just read Alison Bechdel's Fun Home. I know this is a couple years old and has garnered much praise, but I will add my admiration for this as well. Autobiographical comics have increased over the years, and very few live up to the greats like Pekar and Crumb, but this book is fantastic. I highly recommend it to anyone.
Old July 4th, 2009, 09:56 PM

I'll echo that recommendation. I also very much enjoyed "Fun Home."

Old July 5th, 2009, 03:00 AM

SamRI has disabled reputation

It doesn't fall into the category of things I usually read, and just seeing the cover without knowing anything about it, you'd assume it was manga, but I've fallen in love with "Scott Pilgrim." It's great for the 20's-30's age group.
Old July 5th, 2009, 08:41 AM

Disposable Hero is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

There's a really interesting mangta called Bizenghast out there/. It's printed like an American comic, and it's all about ghosts and spirits and such.

Demerge Disney And Marvel!!!
Old July 5th, 2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamRI View Post
It doesn't fall into the category of things I usually read, and just seeing the cover without knowing anything about it, you'd assume it was manga, but I've fallen in love with "Scott Pilgrim." It's great for the 20's-30's age group.
I haven't read the last book or two of this, but I agree. The three I have read are fun, fast paced and highly enjoyable.

Man, I need to become independently wealthy so I have time and money for all the comics and games that need read and played. Anyone have any suggestions?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Comics