Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Miniatures
Other Miniatures Miniatures games besides Heroscape.

Notices

Old August 3rd, 2017, 05:12 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!
Re: Frostgrave, Halo Ground Command and other tabletop minis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
How many walls can you create at level 8?
None. I dont have any wall spells yet. It wasnt one I picked at the beginning or learned yet. I found a couple of spell grimoires but they are ones I dont want yet. I have an elemental bolt for offense an elemental ball a way to empower a sword attack. Theres the leap spell and telekinesis spell. Animal companion. Raise zombie. Next one id like is the push spell. That one would be epic to knock an enemy off a 10 plus inch high catwalk to their death. This game is super customizable with all the options.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old August 3rd, 2017, 08:41 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

No walls?
And you call yourself a wizard?
Old August 4th, 2017, 01:17 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
No walls?
And you call yourself a wizard?
Not yet. With this game you pick up the essentials at the get go, and then its quite expensive to buy specific grimoires. If you didn't find them in a treasure roll from a random treasure table grab you have to spend 500 gold to buy one and then use a level up point to learn the spell. I've done pretty well the 3 games I've played, but a wall would hurt my 5 archers and 2 offensive bolt casting wizards more than help them. My brothers should pick up a wall spell for sure just because of my archers. I picked up the spells I did based off of what I thought would be useful as far as getting treasure-Leap, Telekinesis, fleet feet. A couple of offensive spells-Elemental bolt, Elemental Ball, just because my brothers like to deal the pain, so I have to have something to deal it back. I'm yet to use my Elemental hammer spell that buffs a weapon attack for one turn. I'd gladly trade that one in for a wall spell. I picked up some other spells that I thought useful for when you get in a pinch or have a handicapped warband such as animal companion or raise zombie, but I haven't had to use them, because I've done fairly well. As @Hahma has said in previous posts, there are tons of different tactics and strategies you can use. I've got my heart set on the push spell next. It just seems like it would be a bunch of fun. So far, my favorite non combat spells are Leap, and Telekinesis. My favorite combat spell I use has to be Elemental Bolt. Being an Elementalist and reducing its casting number with level ups 2 different games, it comes in quite handy being able to cast on a lower number.

Old August 5th, 2017, 09:50 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

I just saw that there will be a Nickstarter campaign for Ghost of Archipelago on their Facebook page.

Quote:
North Star will have a Nickstarter pre-order campaign for Ghost Archipelago in September. I've just realised it's going to be a BIG one, with the book, two other products from Osprey, the plastics and a number of metal figures for the Heritors and Wardens, you need to save your pennies now!! We'll make the Nickstarter hard to resist.
I will be done painting my buddy's Sword and Sorcery minis by then and while not charging him a ton, I will get enough that I can put towards this upcoming Nickstarter.

On another note, and speaking of Ghost of Archipelago, I took a couple days off work to hang out with my daughters before they go back to school. Thursday I took them to see the new Planet of the Apes movie and shopping. Planet of the Apes gave me some great ideas for terrain for Ghost of Archipelago, as well as The Drowned Earth minis game I kickstarted and should get next spring.

Yesterday, I took them to Turkey Run state park, here in Indiana. It's 2 hours straight south of us and it was the first time we've ever been there. I wanted to take them to a cool place to go hiking. This place was cooler than we had expected, and gave me some more ideas for jungle/wooded terrain.

There are 10 trails there and we hiked non-stop for 3 1/2 hours and didn't hit all of the trails. They are rated for difficulty and we did manage to hit the 3 hardest ones. There are some places where the only way in our out of was from these wide ladders built into the walls, and there were thousands of stairs made either of natural rock or from 4x4's or from other combinations of manmade and natural existing materials. In total, my step tracker app on my phone had us hiking over 7 miles, and most of that was either going up or down trails, rocks, dirt cliffs, stairs etc. Wore this old guy out

These boulders were kind of treacherous going down, as there were a lot of smooth ones and our shoes were wet on the bottom from water or mud. After going down these and walking about 15 minutes further along the trail, we decided to go back up them.

Random 50 year-old dork with a 15lb backpack getting his ass kicked on these trails.

This place was very steep and slick. There was a little bit of water running down from the opening at the top, and what you can't see is that the bottom was a bit far and full of water with only a certain route up there along the fallen tree. There were outer cliffs that could bring you to the center top, where my girls end up, but those cliffs were narrow and nothing to grab onto and slick.

That horizontal log in front is laying across some boulders and you duck under the log to even get in the cave area.

This was really cool too, as the ground was worn rock of various colors, mostly dark, but with some rusty colors too. It was wet and you had to pick your footing well.

This is where that the above leads to.

There was a little cave to the right of the pool of water.

This is on the way back out of there.

Some other areas

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old August 5th, 2017, 10:26 AM
"like" happy

Very cool @Hahma . Thanks for the heads up on the upcoming Nickstarter. I have been staying away from any more kickstarters lately because of the amount of money invested in it at the moment. I will not refuse this Nickstarter though. Even though I'm only getting in my 4th game later today, this has easily become one of my favorites. The amount of customization in the wizard types, spells, warbands. Getting to name them all, and pick whatever minis you want. The battles on the beautiful terrain, that I get to build and paint. The game is both easy to play, and full of awesome details. Last night after work and getting my house in order, I got down to it. I finished building my silent tower, then painted it up. I didn't have time to build the two houses on the sides of it, so I used my mausoleum with a plank bridge on top of it for its second story, and for the other side I built up a little half house/castle building out of Heroscape castle sets. I also put a handful of castle set pieces on the board along with the ladders from them. With this scenario, I wanted it to have quite a bit of height, but without having to climb it from the get go. So I put a lot of height around the edges of the map, so all 5 players would have a shot at having height. 2 of the 5 players will get to start on the castle tops if they want. There's even a long catwalk that goes from one castle top to the other over top the silent tower. I am going to for sure take plenty of pictures of this one. Where the action is really depends on where all the players place their treasure tokens. I'll let them know that before the battle starts. I bought both my apprentice and my wizard a bow for this game. I didn't realize it was only 5 gold for an additional weapon for them. Essentially that puts me at 5 archers and 2 not quite as good archers for shooting at the silent tower and adjacent buildings. One thing though, I was reading about the Bone Dart spell. It says it does not count as a magical attack. Does that mean that it can be shot at the tower? In the tower?
I also assembled 8 cultists for my friend that is coming out to play a new necromancer, along with custom modding him a necromancer and an apprentice how he wanted them. I only had time to prime the wizards though. I was super busy, and didn't get to bed until 1:00AM. It was not fun getting up a 6 this morning to go to work.

Old August 5th, 2017, 11:18 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

@TREX

Sounds like a good idea giving all players options to start on height. They also need to keep in mind when placing treasures, that entry points aren't chosen until after treasure is placed. So if they place them too friendly to one side of the table, they may be helping someone else that might roll higher when determining entry points.

As far as the Bone Dart spell, looking at the special rules for the Silent Tower scenario, it says I'm the middle of the paragraph:

"In addition, no-one in or touching the tower may be the target of a spell."

Bone Dart is a spell so it can't be used in the tower or against anyone in or touching the tower. It not counting as a magic attack only means that it doesn't work against creatures that are only affected by magic attacks be them spells or weapons.

With regards to equipping your Spellcasters with bows, good idea. But keep in mind that it will take up an item slot. So if they are carrying both a staff and bow, that's 2 of the 5 slots for the wizard and 2 of the 4 slots for the apprentice.

Old August 5th, 2017, 01:29 PM
"like" happy

The points you brought up are pretty key. I'd thought all these through and it seems the only fun way to use incredible heights is to allow for everyone to have an almost even opportunity to get to them without going up the side of a building for half the game. Unlike the first game I played when we used incredible heights, we didn't know how long it was going to take. Now we have a better understanding that when treasure is placed it will bring the action to that area. Thanks for the clarification on bone dart. It was a little confusing because its a spell but says it isn't a magic thing. But at the end of the day its a spell, and those can't be used. My goal for this game later today is simple. Stay alive. I don't think there will be many treasures placed up too high, but it could still be a cool option to have soldiers up there, especially if you have a bunch of archers and offensive wizards.(my wizards swear, and tell dirty jokes.) I may have to whip up some quick foam walls in case anyone wants to get the wall spell. I'm super stoked to get this one to the table tonight.

Old August 5th, 2017, 01:31 PM
"like" happy

@Hahma , what do you have in your wizards equipment slots. I have a couple of potions I haven't distributed yet. Weapons, magic items, potions and scrolls are all you can put in there right?

Old August 5th, 2017, 03:33 PM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
@Hahma , what do you have in your wizards equipment slots. I have a couple of potions I haven't distributed yet. Weapons, magic items, potions and scrolls are all you can put in there right?
Currently my wizard only has a staff and Cloak of Protection equipped.

My apprentice has a staff, Drinking Horn of Healing and a Ring of Power (1) equipped.

I had some bad luck with treasure before, where 2 of them were Grimoires for neutral or opposite houses of magic and also already have high casting numbers. Since I didn't know those spells I can't sell those Grimoires. So they sit in my vault for now.

In our last game, I got a Grimoire of Control Construct that could be useful to learn for the next scenario in The Hunt for the Golem campaign. I also got Gloves of Casting that I will equip to my wizard. I also got a scroll of Beauty and one of Glow. So I have options to equip my wizard. I may choose to buy something too if need be to equip him.

Morgan's wizard is equipped with a staff, Staff of Power (2), Robes of Arrow Turning, a scroll of Decay and a scroll of Awareness.

Her Apprentice has a staff, a scroll of Slow Fall, a scroll of Leap and a potion of Healing.

She has other stuff in her vault or equipped to soldiers.

You have 5 slots for the wizard and 4 slots for the apprentice. While weapons don't count against soldiers, they only have one remaining slot. Weapons do count against a wizard and apprentice slots. Whatever you choose not to or don't have room for goes in their vault, which can't be accessed during a game.

What can a wizard be equipped with? Weapons, potions, scrolls, magic items. I likely wouldn't allow a wizard to wear magic armor or carry a shield, but that's just me and for thematic reasons. Those I think should go to a soldier, as a wizard can always raise their health by 1 between games as a level up.

Old August 11th, 2017, 08:50 AM
Prickly Cactus

My daughter Morgan and I started the 3rd and final scenario for The Hunt for the Golem campaign for Frostgrave (found in Frostgrave Folio). This one is called The House of the Golem, and it takes place in the ruins of a golem factory. The Granite Golem is in there destroying it and our warbands have tracked him there to hopefully find some good treasure. This particular campaign is geared toward wizards that have Create or Control Contstruct spells, as there was setup rules in the 2nd scenario where there were statues in the garden that you could take control of if you had either the Create or Control Construct spell (I can't remember which). Neither of us had that so it wasn't relevant. However, in one of the treasures I found, I got a grimoire of Control Construct, so as one of my level ups, I learned it.

For this 3rd scenario, it is extra heavy on the Construct theme, as there is a chart of treasures that you can choose to roll on instead of the regular one after the game. This chart has items that would help a wizard create a better Construct, as it had something that would make it stronger, faster, be able to carry a 2-handed weapon etc. There are also runes written on the Construct that allow you to add +2 to the health of a Construct you create, but you only get the runes if you capture the Granite Golem with a Control Construct spell (which I just learned ), and you get a bonus of 50XP's. Well I don't have the Create Construct spell, so none of the construct specific stuff will help me, and I don't feel like spending 500 gold to buy a Create Construct grimoire to learn, but the 50XP's would be nice. Of course, my daughter will try to kill the golem in order to deny me those points, as she's good that way. If you kill the golem by magical means, there's a chance it will explode and do a varied amount of AOE damage, depending on what you roll on the chart.

There were 2 treasures placed in the center ruins, one on the upper floor and one underneath the opposite ruin. I had a fastract to both really, as well as two others that were close to me, so Morgan wanted to make a deal early on as far as not contesting both of them. I agreed because part of it is just being able to play this great game and keeping Morgan interested in it by not destroying her like TREX's brothers want to do. I got my wizard on a plank and as soon as he could see the upper treasure, he used Telekinesis to bring it down and closer, then my Tracker and Dwarf Barbarian jumped down and the Tracker recovered it. We actually had 3 creatures show up out of 4 treasures picked up so far, but nothing too bad. Had an armored skeleton enter from my side, but my dwarf barbarian Ripped Smalls took care of it. Have a regular skeleton entering from the side to my left, but he's just bumping into wall of windows. A zombie came in from the right side, but Morgan's crossbowman one-shotted it.

The Dumatef Guard near me is a proxy for the Granite Golem. During the setup it was placed in the center of the board and the moved 10 inches in a random direction, so he went that way. Then we rolled to choose sides and Morgan chose to enter from the opposite side as the Golem. (reading the setup rules again, we should have completed all setup before moving the Golem in a random direction, so we should have had our sides chosen already and figures placed in starting zones. But it didn't matter so much to me, as I like to see Morgan work her devious mind )

My apprentice was able to cast Raise Zombie before the game, so I had a zombie in my warband to start the game and I placed him so that he would be able to lure the Golem toward it and away from my other crew. But then Morgan used a Push spell to push my Tracker with a treasure close to the Golem. So if the Golem killed the zombie, it would engage my Tracker with the treasure. I had already tried to control the Golem with my wizard, and while I succeeded with the casting roll, the Golem succeeded with it's Will roll and shrugged off the spell.

Morgan attacked the Golem with her Apprentice and put 3 wounds on it with Bone Dart. Since my zombie was engaged, she had to roll to see which would be targeted before rolling to hit and it ended up being the Golem. But when she did that with her archer, she ended up attacking my zombie and killing it. She wanted to kill the Golem before I succeeded with a Control Construct spell on the Golem and get 50 bonus xps. I failed a Fleet Feet spell on my man at arms, so he wasn't able to get between the Golem and my Tracker, so my archer manned up and jumped off the height he was on to engage the Golem and fortunately the Golem missed him.

We left off there.

Here, Ripped Smalls came over to take out the armored skeleton that was getting awfully close to my man-at-arms Jake the Snake.

This is where my Tracker ended up with the treasure after Morgan's wizard used a Push spell on him. Not my intended path to have him move that close to the Golem, but Morgan said that while we agreed that we'd not contest both of those treasures, that didn't mean it should be easy. So now I was worried because while my Zombie survived the first attack by the Golem in the first round, if he gets killed in this round, the 2nd action by the Golem would be to move toward the closest figure within 10" and LoS, and that would be my Tracker.

Her wizard that Pushed my Tracker

My Man-at Arms without the Fleet Feet boost could only get to the wrong side of the Tracker. So during the soldier phase, my wizard up top poked the Archer next to him and told him to go run interference between the Golem and Tracker. "I've got your back" he said.

And so he did, and a good thing, because Morgan's archer took out my Zombie and now the Golem would have been free to engage my Tracker. But now he's good to go.

Old August 11th, 2017, 11:31 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Great pics!

Is it normal movement cost when moving up ramps?
Old August 11th, 2017, 11:51 AM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Great pics!

Is it normal movement cost when moving up ramps?

Thanks!

The rules really only cover climbing, moving over obstacles and rough terrain for movement cost, where it costs 1 inch of movement for every portion of an inch moved. So basically climbing straight up a wall would cost you 2 inches of movement for every vertical inch climbed. For climbing over an obstacle such as a log or crate or whatever, it will cost you an extra inch of movement to climb over it, as long as it's less than an inch high. If the obstacle goes between 1 and 2 inches, then it cost you 2 extra inches to climb over it.

Ramps aren't mentioned and neither are stairs. I just count ramps and stairs as normal movement. One exception I made was for this game there is a short ramp/ladder piece going up to a Heroscape ruins piece that I put an upper floor on. For that instance, I counted it as climbing more of a ladder than a ramp since it's fairly vertical and looks like a ladder.

It can go either way really, as the rules are pretty flexible.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Miniatures