Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old October 10th, 2009, 04:02 PM

vertigosmooth knows what's in an order marker vertigosmooth knows what's in an order marker vertigosmooth knows what's in an order marker
Help me decide on an Anubian army

Hey guys, I brought this topic up in the book of the Anubian wolves the other day, but since im adding to it I decided to put it here since im thinking of fielding it in a tourney. Anyway, I was thinking of Anubian wolf armies(I find the squad fun, durable, fast and pretty dangerous with the right d20 roll). Anyway im torn between a few armies and would like some ideas/advice so here we go

Army 1
Anubians x4
Kaemon
Raelin
500 points

Army 2
Anubian x4
Stingers x2
Raelin
500 points

I have a few other ideas with bigger heroes if I lose Raelin, although im thinking it would be smart to keep her in there(boosting my wolves to 6 defense). Also, I could add khosumet and have only 3 squads of wolves but is he really worth it over 3 more wolves?? Thanks guys

Dustin
Old October 10th, 2009, 05:26 PM
displays Schultzian haplessness

gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Help me decide on an Anubian army

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigosmooth View Post
Hey guys, I brought this topic up in the book of the Anubian wolves the other day, but since im adding to it I decided to put it here since im thinking of fielding it in a tourney. Anyway, I was thinking of Anubian wolf armies(I find the squad fun, durable, fast and pretty dangerous with the right d20 roll). Anyway im torn between a few armies and would like some ideas/advice so here we go

Army 1
Anubians x4
Kaemon
Raelin
500 points

Army 2
Anubian x4
Stingers x2
Raelin
500 points

I have a few other ideas with bigger heroes if I lose Raelin, although im thinking it would be smart to keep her in there(boosting my wolves to 6 defense). Also, I could add khosumet and have only 3 squads of wolves but is he really worth it over 3 more wolves?? Thanks guys

Dustin

Of those two, I would take Army One simply because KA gives you a special attack to clear out the Rats and WoA that cause the Anubians quite a lot of trouble. And +rep for trying to make Anubians x4 work at 500 points!

Your curiosity will be the death of you....
Old October 10th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Likes the Look of Grungebob

KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby!

I would do drop Raelin and then do one of two things.

1) Drop Kaemon as well and add in Major Q9 (can't believe I'm suggesting that) and Marcu.

Or, if you're like me and hate playing/refuse to play Q9: 2) Add in a third squad of stingers to the second army.

While Realin can give your wolves 6 defense and your stingers 5, it would require that you severely limit the wolves and the stingers by not letting them move across board in a Steam Roller fashion (shameless plug).

Last edited by KCU Master 2007; October 10th, 2009 at 06:13 PM.
Old October 10th, 2009, 05:58 PM

vertigosmooth knows what's in an order marker vertigosmooth knows what's in an order marker vertigosmooth knows what's in an order marker

Ya im not big on playing Q9 personally. Im not really the "cookie" cutter type player, which unfortunately leads to my demise more than desired, ha! I tried a bunch of different things in play testing for this tourney and finally decided that I'de rather have fun and play units I like. If I win some games it will be all the sweeter, and playing units I dont care for because of their power ranking wont be as fun. Thanks for the advice guys, Ill probably try both those armies out and maybe try a few without Raelin with bigger heroes. Anyway, thanks again!

Dustin
Old October 10th, 2009, 06:15 PM

loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby!

I would suggest getting rid of Raelin in the builds. The wolves move too fast for her to be effective. The key to playing the wolves is waiting for that big 20 sisded rolle and then swarming in. If you are tied to the aura it makes that harder to pull off.

You might try using 2 squads of rats to "hold" enemies in place waiting for the big roll on the 20 sider. You might run out of starting places though?

Jeff H - Manchester NH

No plan survives contact with the enemy. - Field Marshal Helmuth von Moltke

Good traders: M.K. Sentinal, C.L., and CheddarLimbo
Old October 10th, 2009, 06:29 PM

Good idea, I may wanna try leaving her out. Ya actually I had a prob with that my first game, I let raelin catch up to my wolves and then rolled a 20 on the wolves next turn. If I would have moved my wolves instead of Raelin the turn before I would have been in range to take advantage. Ill see what I can come up with.

Dustin
Old October 10th, 2009, 06:48 PM

That Guy0715 is surprisingly tart

I would go with army 1. As gorthan said, it gives you a special attack. Also Kaemon is awesome.
Old October 10th, 2009, 08:44 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Khosumet himself does kind of suck but his +1 bonus to the Anubian's D20 roll is worth the 75 point investment IMO. It insures you never roll a 1 and lose one of your figures, and increases the frequency of the high end bonuses. Plus in the end game when you only have a few wolves left, that +1 Attack for the Relentless Bonus can come in handy when you no longer can afford to wait for a big roll.

I would consider this army:

Anubian Wolves x4 - 300 points
Khosumet - 75 points
Dumutef Gaurd - 25 points
Syvarris - 100 points

The Dumutef Gaurd is a good filler for that army because of the Devourer Bonus, plus he has a natural high attack. Syvarris' 2 attacks of range 9 can provide good cover fire while you move your wolves up closer. I too like the Wolves, when you roll that 20 (or 19/Khosumet) having 3 attacks of 10+ dice is a ton of fun to watch as they tear something to shreads. When you roll low on the D20 though, your best option is to move some of your wolves in back up closer IMO, and hope the 4 Def dice can keep the front line guys alive.
Old October 10th, 2009, 09:01 PM

Einar Gen. knows what's in an order marker Einar Gen. knows what's in an order marker

I, personally, am a big fan of the Anubians myself. (Kudos to you, my friend!) I'd probably use army 1, since Kaemon provides range and a heavy hitting hero. Army 2 has the Stingers though, which are an excellent ranged squad. If you use the second one, the build's fine, Raelin will keep your stingers alive longer. For the first one though, I'd drop Raelin.
Old October 10th, 2009, 11:49 PM

Ya, I like the kaemon one too, im just kinda wondering who to replace Raelin with. I was thinking maybe theracus to move Kaemon around but not sure. The stinger army is cool but I know theres gonna be tons of rats and no special attacks will really hurt that army.

Dustin
Old October 11th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Likes the Look of Grungebob

KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby!

Another set of wolves I you have them. If not go with Khosumet.
Old October 11th, 2009, 12:48 AM

Oh yeah, I have access to plenty of wolves, just wondering if ill struggle against ranged squads like the 10th or 4th. I guess if I had to I could use kaemons regular attack to bring them in.

Dustin

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion