Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old January 3rd, 2010, 03:06 PM

Bladethorne is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Re: A Sea Worthy Expansion?

Bit big, plus it IS the map, instead of being sailed around on it (Although if your not Weirdscaper, you'll need lexan mats). Plus thats an Aircraft Carrier, not a pirate ship. Ugh, I'm getting nit-picky. Time to stop.

My sig would like to say that it is a sig. Let's all wave hi to the sig.
Can't find what your looking for? Try the Index.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 03:22 PM

That Guy0715 is surprisingly tart

I think that would be AWESOME!

Spoiler Alert!
Old January 3rd, 2010, 07:11 PM

tyguy94920 is surprisingly tart

One of the HS Codexes have rules for boats. I'd like to try it one day.

However, they used 4 and 2 people boats not giant Galleons like you're describing

Click Above for My Sig Link
Old January 3rd, 2010, 08:48 PM

Super Platapus is surprisingly tart

My thoughts for having large scale ships is that since maps would be mostly water instead of land, you would need a large ship to be able to put lots of guys on, at least 24hexes so you could do a normal size army, but preferably larger so it wasn't so crowded.

As for how canon would work, there could be rulings on how many canons could be fired every turn or every round, so people would be less inclined to choose only squad units, or give heroes bonuses when using them
you could have only heroes be able to man the wheel, so you would pretty much need heroes I'll have to think about it more.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 10:48 PM
Super Bowel

Simpsons Scaper knows what's in an order marker Simpsons Scaper knows what's in an order marker Simpsons Scaper knows what's in an order marker

I'd like small 2 raft dingys that you can ride. Maybe a 2 hex wide 4 hex long ship with cannons, but 10X4 is massive! I don't even own 40 water tiles, and a 40 water tile ship base wold be ginormous! Also, You'd need major rivers for it to work.

Edit: I suppose a 3 by 5 or 3 by 6 ship wouldn't be bad.

Without dark, there is no light.
Without bad HScape figs, there are no good ones.
Dund is important, therefore
Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:16 PM

Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsons Scaper View Post
I'd like small 2 raft dingys that you can ride. Maybe a 2 hex wide 4 hex long ship with cannons, but 10X4 is massive! I don't even own 40 water tiles, and a 40 water tile ship base wold be ginormous! Also, You'd need major rivers for it to work.

Edit: I suppose a 3 by 5 or 3 by 6 ship wouldn't be bad.
He said that it would come with water tiles. It would need a lot, but if you can cram a ship or two this big into a box, there's going to need to be some water tiles. Which, if WotC were to make this, would be a horrible decision not to do.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:17 PM

'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsons Scaper View Post
I'd like small 2 raft dingys
"Hey! Quit playing with your dingy!"

This is what your parents/wife/girlfriend would say to you.

P.S.: I hope you get the reference.

My tourney record: 14-32 or 30.43% wins
Check out my multimedia work
Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:22 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Perhaps you can have two maps set up, to accomplish sea battles. One can use Cavalier's water mats, and have small vessels representing the larger ones. Using very small boat models or proxy's, they can accomplish sea movement and long range cannon attacks with the smaller models. Then have a map set up using regular HS pieces to make up two double deck ships engaged with planks or whatever connecting them. So when the two smaller models get into boarding range, move over to the bigger map and carry out the ship to ship battle there. Just some ideas.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old January 4th, 2010, 01:27 AM

Super Platapus is surprisingly tart

Okay, so I've done some more thinking and experimenting and decided that a single deck 4x8 ship would be about right. It isn't too massive, but it is also not too small to fit a decent amount of men on it.

For canon I decided that there could be a rule where you only can fire 4-5ish canons in a round, but you could use as many of this or as few in a turn (ie. like Q9"s Qgun) so you could fire big volleys or keep up a continuous fire from your ship. This would make players think about how and when to use their precious canons. When using a canon you could just take line of sight from a point at the rear of the canon. For ladders you could just reuse ladders from the castle set to get to a crows nest or to the raised back portion of the ship.

As for turning I still need to think on that one

Sea monsters would still be awesome!!!
Old January 4th, 2010, 11:28 AM

Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness

When I first saw this thread title I thought it would be pretty lame. However, the ideas presented are actually pretty good. I would think that it could be a viable (though highly unlikely) expansion.

If the ship was a static piece of the map (as in it didnt move) and you could build it with 'ship pieces' just like you can build a castle with castle pieces. The top deck railings can be modified bridge railings from RTTF to give the ship nice clean lines. Having a couple top deck cannons would be cool. I would think the expansion just having the top deck is most realistic, but opens the possiblity of buying multiple packs to make multiple decks. Maybe it coming with a peir also would be cool.

I would also mention that the ship doesnt have to be in water. You could easily set up a map with the ship being 'beached' on land.

Edit: Upon further thought I think a BOV type map with the boat right in the middle surrounded by 1 hex water with a gang plank on either side would look really cool and theorrtically play well.
Plus some sort of common squad with the set, Pirates, Conquestadors, Krakens, something with a nice aqua theme.

"I wish my iPad would stop trying to autocorrect all the heroscape names for me."

Good Trades I have had.

Collection Guide for Recommended Quantities.

Last edited by Toad Rocket; January 4th, 2010 at 02:39 PM.
Old January 4th, 2010, 01:02 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

I'd like to see this, just so I could see THE KRAKEN!!! (".... no, I've always heard it pronounced Krayken" "What, with the long A?"). It'll suction your face clean off!

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old January 4th, 2010, 03:54 PM

LMB knows what's in an order marker LMB knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Platapus View Post
As for turning I still need to think on that one
Please let me know what you come up with. I've been wrestling with this problem (for custom units that have a base size greater than 2) for a few months and it's hard to come up with a reasonable solution. I think this would be an even worse problem with a ship because of the greater number of hexes to deal with.

My custom Terrain and Units.

My HS pics

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion