Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books
Books Not Heroscape-related.

Notices

Old August 8th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
George R. R. Martin (as well as other recommendations)

Anyone ever read this book/series by George R. R. Martin?

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old August 9th, 2006, 12:33 AM

bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
I think the more appropriate question would be:
Who here has read the book/series by George R. R. Martin.

I know a number of people here have, I have. I played the game once, too.
Old August 9th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Man Genius

InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I just finished a second read-through of the first three books, then went and bought the fourth in hardback.

Why do you ask? (and ask fast, I'm leaving for GenCon after work and won't be around until Monday)
Old August 9th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityMax
I just finished a second read-through of the first three books, then went and bought the fourth in hardback.

Why do you ask? (and ask fast, I'm leaving for GenCon after work and won't be around until Monday)
Just asking to see if others have found it to be as unique and interesting as I did. I only just started the second book, so I don't have the whole story to go by, but I found the first one to be (though while slow at first) quite enjoyable and different from the typical fantasy books that I've read.

BTW have fun at Gen Con I only live two hours north of Indy, but can't swing it time-wise and financially with other stuff going on. Not to mention having spent a butt-load on HS stuff in the past month. Maybe next year I'll take a trip down there with my bro in-law and nephew.

Enjoy

Old August 9th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjee
I think the more appropriate question would be:
Who here has read the book/series by George R. R. Martin.

I know a number of people here have, I have. I played the game once, too.
I agree that the question should have been worded differently, but I only had a moment to make the post (twin 3 yr-olds begging attention) and didn't think it out fully.

How was the game to play? With only finishing the first book, I don't see how a game could be dedicated to the series and have replayability. But I could be wrong.

I've read R. A. Salvatore, Raymond Feist, Elaine Cunningham, David Drake and Weiss/Hickman. I found George R. R. Martin to be comletely different and wondered if others felt the same. I had tried reading Robert Jordan series a while ago, but at the time it moved so slow, that it didn't hold my interest very long. Perhaps another time.

Anyways, thanks for the response bunjee

Old August 11th, 2006, 07:21 PM

Rhydderch has disabled reputation
I have read the Song of Ice and Fire books. I think there was a previous thread about it too where fans could discuss them. Might be a good place to look for what other people thought of them. Just be careful of spoilers since you're only on the 2nd book.

“Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”

Terry Pratchett, Discworld
Old August 12th, 2006, 02:24 AM

Smarty Dorthea has disabled reputation
How do I set an avatar on this board?
Old August 12th, 2006, 04:11 PM

RichardD has disabled reputation
My answer is *exactly* the same as InfinityMax's - except I've not gone to Gencon.

A really good series - I'd like to pick up the first three in hardback, and would if only the dust jackets didn't look so awful.
Old August 15th, 2006, 10:46 AM

Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Ah the second book. A Clash of Kings. Also known as the "book throwing" novel. Why? Because I can all but guarentee that if you're into the story at all you're going to end up throwing the book across the room, out a window, or into traffic before you're done. Good luck!

BTW, I love the series and can't wait for A Dance With Dragons.
Old August 18th, 2006, 12:01 AM
something

noodles rolls all skulls baby! noodles rolls all skulls baby! noodles rolls all skulls baby! noodles rolls all skulls baby!
I think it's the most well written story I've ever read out of any genre. The story kicks ass and I even love the board game they've made out of it. It's right up there in my top 5 gams.

For those about to scape, we salute you.

Old August 18th, 2006, 01:52 AM
Man Genius

InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Yeah, the story is amazing. And Clash of Kings is not alone in being gut-wrenching - the entire series takes it in turn to have me grinning with glee at the triumphs of my favorite characters, and gnashing my teeth at their losses.

There's a part in Game of Thrones where I realized I was not reading your regular ol' fiction. I don't want to spoil it, so I'm just going to leave all the details out. If you've read the book, you know what I mean.

From that point on, all bets are off, and the books keep you guessing every step of the way from that point forward.

EDIT: Fixed it up to avoid spoilers. Really don't want to screw up that bit for the uninitiated.
Old August 18th, 2006, 10:55 AM
something

noodles rolls all skulls baby! noodles rolls all skulls baby! noodles rolls all skulls baby! noodles rolls all skulls baby!
I knew exactly what you were talking about when you said "jaw drop"....you said too much...maybe you should edit that out?

For those about to scape, we salute you.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books