Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old March 29th, 2015, 01:55 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: The New York City Gang Of Four

Well met!

Continuing . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post

This is my battle report, such as it is, about the total chaos that was
Secret Wars!!!

We gathered more or less on time, a rarity for us. After Sherman regaled us with some bathroom humor concerning Beyonder and Spiderman, and we finished our relative repasts and refreshed our beverages, the armies, cards, markers, dice, and dice trays being already in position (thanks to chas, He Who Owns All of Heroscape), we were ready to begin.

Soul Shackle's
SEEKING SOLITUDE

The map was as advertised, flat out gorgeous, an excellent choice by Taeblewalker. We scouted about after dark, and spotted Beyonder in the distance.

After checking out the interior, only a dark shadow visible in our intelligence pictures, we returned to our Start Zone.

Taeblewalker, playing his role of arrogant Doctor Doom to the hilt, refused to discuss strategy, other than to declare his intention to charge out with Braxas into the teeth of the do-gooders' defense.

A Moment of Peace

Braxas fell almost immediately. Then Taeblewalker had another of those runs of bad luck he is prone to, and lost the rest of his army in short order. My ranged strategy fell apart rapidly, as I over extended Magneto, who fell after being summoned by Beyonder. I found myself threatened by, and ran around trying to avoid, one on ones with Thor. Spawn tried to be thuggish, but 9 Lives go fast with only 4 Defense against 9 Attack.

Spawn initially took a shot at the McDirks with his Heavy Machinegun, but whiffed his first roll. They were soon thereafter no longer a threat, their Champion, Captain Marvel, having been offed.

[to be continued]

Beyonder summons Magneto

Sherman's horde

The less than Phantastic Five

chas' Justice Avengers

Obsidian proxy

The Jungle is my friend

Tower of Solitude

Stairway to Heaven

Spawn harassing Vision

We played a second game, sans Beyonder, and Sherman swapped in a hero for the McDirks - another Captain Marvel.

In this second game, Taeblewalker, after another futile Braxas run, cooperated with me, sending in Darkseid, to help me take out Thor and Captain America, sealing the doom of the do-gooders.

Captain America falls

Spawn, on high ground, eyes future victim, Vision, below right

Gold confronts Obsidian

Gold performed excellently for chas in this second game.

Splendor in the Grass

Captain Marvel, Doctor Doom, Super Skrull (RL'NND), and Gold

In retrospect, my abandonment of my initial gameplan was a mistake. I am still learning how to play Superscape. I shall endeavor to play with more courage next time - and to field at least one thug.

Old March 29th, 2015, 02:24 PM

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

So . . . we have:

Evil Army #1:
355 Loki
240 Enchantress
200 Marro Drones x 4
130 Tul-Bak-Ra

Evil Army #2:
290 Skurge
185 Nilfheim
160 Marro Stingers x 4
160 Shurrak

versus

Good Army #1:
330 Hercules
315 Dr. Strange
210 Storm

Good Army #2:
300 Invisible Woman
250 War Machine
250 Iron Man Extremis
145 Hawkeye

As I emailed to chas, our strategy is pretty simple:
"With 2 defensive cheerleaders (Storm and Invisible Woman), and 1 tank (Hercules), we should be able to form a ranged pod from the get-go, and force the bad guys to leave the tower. In any event, a slow roll is what we'll do, keeping all our units within our cheerleaders' auras."

Last edited by kolakoski; March 29th, 2015 at 04:29 PM.
Old March 29th, 2015, 02:50 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Comments On The TaeblewalkerScape Secret Wars Map: Seeking Solitude

Captain America: Hey--its a giant swastika!

Thor: In truth, the 'Fiery Wheel' is a very old symbol in mortal history, going back to premonotheistic times in a number of cultures, including that of India.

Zatanna: Its more spiritual than magical, although these things are all connected. Super types need to pay attention, though. Remember when Circe turned Wonder Woman into a pig? (Editor's Note: see Justice League Unlimited). Batman was very put out, although we did get to hear him sing.

Vision: I could only fly up or down when in my insubstantial form.

Gold: What a team we fielded on that map--a god, a sorceress, an android, a robot, and an augmented human! I think we've got most of the interspecies bases covered in The Justice Avengers! Not to mention both major comic companies...

Chas: And Kolakoski has now declared Griznakh's cards legal in his next 'mixed' game. Hooray! Now if he'll only accept more of my own...

The interesting one hex change of level on the battlements in several places meant building the castle wall sections unevenly; some on the table itself and some on a one high hex base, which was a pain, and had to be accomplished with a hammer (and I HATE Hammering plastic)! However, it was fun once it was up. I see Kolakosi's next map is full of castle goodness as well--fun to play but also relatively tough to build.

Proxies Used

Having to provide three armies worth of cards and figures, I came up with some interesting ones again this time around. No matter how many figures I own, we usually need some substitutes in our games, since we use such a wide range of different designers cards. Since K. doesn't collect supers, and TW's are currently in storage, I supply them for all but SD, who brings his own.

This time around, they were:

Beyonder: Researcher
Super Skrulls: KL'RT--Skrull Commando RL'NND--Parademon Drill Sgt.
Spawn: Black Panther
Obsidian: Flash as Blue Lantern
Predator: Calypso

Good Strategy: Game 1

Sherm had the idea of killing the Beyonder, and I backed his play. In the event, it didn't work as such, but our putting more markers on him pulled him onto our side of the board, where I'd say he was more of an advantage than disadvantage, although the evils did continue to use him against us. A great and creative scenario by Taeblewalker! Note tha it Used that old 'neutral character' we first saw in that last series of Official But Onsite Only D&DScaoe scenarios in 'Crazy Troll,' now transferred to the Supers sphere.

Good Strategy: Game 2

Without the Beyonder (my suggestion), I thought it would be easier for the other guys. Wow, it sure was! Just as we clobbered them in the first game, they totally trashed us in the second. This saw TWs die rolls improve markedly, and working together they managed to beat Captain America from a distance. Toward the end of the game we all laughed as Gold (my filler, from The Metal Men), chosen for his team Leader ability (similar to Classic Ornak) and not even using his other powers, managed to put the kibosh on not one but two previously wounded enemies with plain old regular attacks of only three dice! Pow! Zap! Getting Captain America and Gold, my two non-flyers, up the ladder was a big part of my opening strategy in the second game.

Last edited by chas; March 29th, 2015 at 03:26 PM.
Old March 30th, 2015, 10:26 AM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

A quick explanation of my travel mug for those who aren't comic fans:

A friend of mine bought me the mug for my recent birthday and I thought it was fitting to bring it along to Taeblewalker's scenario because it's a reference to a scene in Secret Wars II in which the Beyonder, a god-like being from another universe who is exploring Earth trying to figure out the meaning of existence, visits Peter Parker in his apartment:

Still one of my all time favorite Spidey moments.
Old March 31st, 2015, 03:59 PM

Well met!

Thanks to chas and Sherman for completing our report!

Tweaked Balance of Power's Level system (Bold is new).

Super A: 381 - 450
A: 331 - 380
B: 241 - 330
C: 151 - 240
D: 10 - 150
From the Character Level Chart above, a maximum of 1 hero may be drafted from each of Levels "Super A", "A", "B" and "C", and any number may be drafted from Level "D". Players may draft any unit from a lower Level in place of those from Levels "Super A", "A", "B" and "C". Thus, an "A", "B", "C" or "D" unit may be drafted in place of a "Super A" unit, a "B", "C" or "D" unit may be drafted in place of an "A" unit, etc.

Let know what you all think. In that discussion with chas, I told him that, since I came up with my FFA Victory Conditions, any of the other elements of the game were subject to change. Since then, I told him I would endeavor to make no "major" changes, and he submitted an army early to insure he'd be able to use his chosen characters.

Last edited by kolakoski; March 31st, 2015 at 05:25 PM.
Old March 31st, 2015, 07:21 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Which army is Top Secret for now. But I've ordered some new figures, to play some C3G cards I've never used before...
Old April 9th, 2015, 08:29 AM

NOW PLAYING OR COMING SOON IN NEW YORK CITY...

We played three games of London Falling a Superscape scenario by Sherman Davies yesterday on our monthly game day, and had lots of fun. Next up: Balance of Power by Kolakoski, his very first Superscape scenario.

And now Coming in May and/or June to a table in New York City, the new ChasScape scenario, using my brand new Tech Squad card for each player in wild competing expeditions to the Amazon jungle to find and analyze Equipment Glyphs of Advanced Kree Technology from a newly crashed spaceship:

***THE ILLINOIS SMITH MEMORIAL TREASURE HUNT***

This will be the first Pulp Adventure (low point Supers) set for the group, with thrills, chills, and many surprises along the way! Don't miss:

*Supers and Super/Classic/VC Squads together!

*New competitive individual player victory conditions!

*Strange glyph traps!

*Competing Chas Custom Tech Squads!

*The bizarre terrain of the Amazon Rain Forest on our giant 20 x 30 space board!

OOO-OOO--EEE-EEE--EEE--CAW--CAW--CAW!

(Cue your favorite adventure theme music: From Raiders of the Lost Ark to Marvel's Agents of SHIELD)

(EDIT) A draft of this scenario is now onsite at Marvelscape/Maps And Scenarios in its own thread.

Last edited by chas; April 10th, 2015 at 09:52 AM.
Old April 21st, 2015, 12:16 PM

Well met!

"Next up: Balance of Power by Kolakoski, his very first Superscape scenario."

Just purchased minis for a Yellow Lantern army for this scenario.

"
And now Coming in May and/or June to a table in New York City, the new ChasScape scenario, using my brand new Tech Squad card for each player in wild competing expeditions to the Amazon jungle to find and analyze Equipment Glyphs of Advanced Kree Technology from a newly crashed spaceship:

***THE ILLINOIS SMITH MEMORIAL TREASURE HUNT***"

I tried building a Yellow Lantern army for this scenario, but the necessity of fielding both the tech squad and at least one more squad out of the 900 points available leaves too few points for an effective Yellow Lantern build.

Old April 26th, 2015, 11:44 AM

Well met!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post

"Next up: Balance of Power by Kolakoski, his very first Superscape scenario."

Here are the [tentative] teams:

kolakoski (all C3G)

Army I

The Red, White and Blue Krue
380 Enchantress
285 Scarlet Witch
245 Scarlet Spider
240 Captain America
150 Hawkeye
150 Moon Knight
50 Atom
1,500, 7 spaces

Army II

The Yellow Peril
310 Yellow Lantern (Arkillo)
270 War Machine
240 Yellow Lantern (Jonathan Crane)
240 Yellow Lantern (Lyssa Drak)
110 Sinestro Corps Soldier x 4
1,500, 8 spaces

Taeblewalker (all C3G)

430 Thor
330 Karnilla
270 Phobos
200 Living Mummy
150 Green Arrow
120 Firestar
1500, 6 spaces

Sherman Davies (his cards)

380 Superman
370 Silver Surfer
320 Green Lantern (Hal Jordan)
240 Colossus
150 Beetle
1460, 5 spaces

chas (all C3G)

The Graduated
450 Sersi
355 The Mask
290 Silver Banshee
240 Titanium Man
150 Fire
1485, 5 spaces

Looking forward to Wednesday. As usual, we'll get 2 or 3 games in, and there will be pics, including live action shots on Nadi's Vault of Splendor!

Last edited by kolakoski; April 26th, 2015 at 04:41 PM.
Old May 1st, 2015, 12:33 PM

Re: The NYC Gang Of Four Plays "Balance of Power!"

Well met!

The NYC Gang of Four played two games of Balance of Power! on Wednesday, 4/29, on Nadi's Vault of Splendor. Thanks to chas for hosting this event, and building the map.

The teams for both games appear below:

kolakoski (all C3G)

The New Avengers
380 Enchantress
285 Scarlet Witch
245 Scarlet Spider
240 Captain America
150 Hawkeye
150 Moon Knight
50 Atom
1,500, 7 spaces

Taeblewalker
(all C3G)

430 Thor
330 Karnilla
270 Phobos
200 Living Mummy
150 Green Arrow
120 Firestar
1500, 6 spaces

Sherman Davies
(his cards)

380 Superman
370 Silver Surfer
320 Green Lantern (Hal Jordan)
240 Colossus
150 Beetle
1460, 5 spaces

chas
(all C3G)

The Graduated
450 Sersi
355 The Mask
290 Silver Banshee
240 Titanium Man
150 Fire
1485, 5 spaces

The first game was a total disaster for me from beginning to end. Most notable, after an over extended Captain America's destruction, was my auto-Wounders' failure to roll 9 or better for at least the first [was it 14, 16 or 21, guys?] attempts.

chas spent most of the game in conflict with Taeblewalker's Thor, who charged directly into the midst of chas' army.

Taeblewalker
was the clear winner from the get go, although chas finished a strong second, due to the survival of most of his units.

Seeing how quickly and aggressively my opponents reached me, and each other, in the previous game, I set up on and around the nearest tower.

Taeblewalker's
Thor charged into the midst of my army this time.

However, Scarlet Witch Cursed him early, denying him the ability to fly for several turns, during which he took extreme-height damage from an Enchanted Hawkeye.

Enchantress keeps her hair up.

Once he arrived, he
seriously Wounded Captain America with his once-per-game Special Attack before finally falling from attacks from multiple opponents.

Scarlet Spider scrum

Moon Knight dropped in later.

Other than an early rush to the center by Scarlet Spider, to tie up a number of units, and an ill timed drop of Moon Knight, who served only to soak up some of Sherman's attacks, my army remained on and about my tower until the end of the game.

Enchantress'
Last
Stand

chas'
Sersi (450 points, 7 Life, 4 Defense and Regeneration) was the Golden Goose of points (64 per Wound) for Hawkeye, making him my MVP and me the winner of the game, in spite of having zero points remaining on the map at the end.

Last edited by kolakoski; May 2nd, 2015 at 05:55 PM.
Old May 1st, 2015, 07:06 PM

1. THE BIG TIE: If we had been scoring the two games as a mini tournament, with 4 points for First Place down to 1 point for Fourth Place, it would have been a four way tie, with 5 points each, which pretty much justifies K.'s new scoring system (although it took a lot of math):

Kolakoski and Taeblewalker: First and Fourth Place finishes

Chas and Sherman Davies: Second and Third Place finishes

Game One Scores

Tablewalker 1,560
Chas 1,345
Sherman Davies 1,283
Kolakoski 1,104

Game Two Scores

Kolakoski 1,540
Sherman Davies 1,292
Chas 1,087
Taeblewalker 444

2. MY TEAM: The MVP rule showed that my team was made up of too many higher pointed characters, but it was a blast to play, although the terrain, taking place almost exclusively on the top of the parapets, was very restrictive to some of my powers. Note my new repaint of Black Mask into The Mask (Stanley Ipkiss) as per the official C3G suggested figure!

3. USING NEW FIGURES/CARDS: Its always fun using new Supers for the first time. Sersi, one of my favorite comic honeys, was a blast, although I could have played her better in some turns by having her retreat before healing. She showed up at the last minute from the recent C3G wave just issued.

4. THE GAMES: STRATEGY I kept an alliance with Sherman Davies all of Game One, which worked out. We all figured out that under this system, there was no point attacking a third player (you get no points for the player with the least number of points you kill), other than to cut down the number of points he would get at the end. We two allied again in Game Two, but for some reason this time the other two players did not ally!

5. THE GAMES: TACTICS During the first game, Thor kept me so busy that my team stayed on the parapets near my start zone for most of the game. Finally moving out Silver Banshee because with Magical Defense she could take on the Enchantress and Scarlet Witch, she ended up so deep in Kolakoski's end zone that, the Enchantress being elsewhere and Scarlet Witch being killed, SB flew down to take out the much weaker Hawkeye who had never moved! After that others in the next game also ended up beating on the weaker figures who stayed in start zones for a while with no Order Markers for them!

Finally getting to charge against Enchantress on a ladder with Silver Banshee in Game Two lost her for me with only two wounds against the witch, and the loss of an expensive figure. (With another player having Karnilla, only one player did not field a female mage type). The team worked very well together, except for Fire, who only came in on the end of each game to take some weak shots, which failed in Game One, or to cut off a possible retreat from Enchantress, who never did retreat from atop her corner tower at the end of Game Two.

In Game One, both Taeblewalker (Thor) and myself (Sersi) got terrible attack and good defense rolls (or for Sersi Regeneration rolls), which kept my team's duel with the thunder god continuing for far too long for my own good, as Kolakoski's Moon Knight was taking many shots on Sersi also after dropping onto the tower closest to my own start zone!

6. THE MAP This was a weird map, being four extended castle battlements and towers similar to the previous Tablewalker game, but with the center in effect sunk into a central hill. The central battlements faced inward, with no path down from the hill top, where the battlements provided no sight blocking, down to the inner courtyard pool and surrounding road row, which was not entered in either game at all! Most of the game took part on the battlements, and also in or near the original start zones just back of the four corner towers.

Last edited by chas; May 2nd, 2015 at 09:43 PM.
Old May 1st, 2015, 10:50 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

I just want to correct Kolakoski's last post. I won the first game, not Sherman Davies. chas got it right.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion