Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Miniatures
Other Miniatures Miniatures games besides Heroscape.

Old November 25th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Spider Poison's Nemesis

Nwojedi knows what's in an order marker Nwojedi knows what's in an order marker
Re: World of warcraft minis game.

I have not found any figure to have a power creep yet. Every combo of figures has had a close game with any other combo. I have never had a game that was a slaughter. It always comes down to the wire. No matter what you play. If you have found it to be one sided with a particular character, you might be playing that character wrong. THere is a lot of loopholes and you have to read your cards very very carefully. Plus you have to read the complete rules from UDE's website. or you will not understand or use the characters correctly. There is much that hasn't been explained. Hopefully the deluxe starters will have an updated and much more informative instruction book.

As for the game. I think it's probably the best mini's game i've ever played. Besides the bases blowing hardcore azz. The mechanics are phenominal. So much strategy involved. It's all about potioning, watching your ticks, your opponents ticks, more than it is about dice rolls. Since you have a 79% success rate on dice rolls, the luck factor is minimized drastically. So it all comes down to how you play. The victory point system balances out everything well, so no matter who you pick, it evens out in the end. So you don't have to worry about draft numbers and what not. Just pick the number of characters each person gets, and away you go. 3 min, your setup and playing. If the base actually stuck in the figure like it should all the time, and they paid more close attention to where the health visual hole was in ratio to the figure. This would be the greatest mini's game ever. It still is, but only by a small %. If the base issue was fixed, it would be by leaps and bounds.
Yes I think it's better than Heroscape. I like heroscape....but once you know how to play well, there isn't a lot of options for movement. There is always a similar tactic and correct way to position yourself, and it starts to become repeative over time. And certain figures will always have an advantage over others. WoW doesn't have that. All figures have their strengths and weaknesses, and every figure can kill another figure, if you know how to play him. This is more like chess, where HS is more like checkers.

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.
Old November 25th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Some of the powers for the Super Rares are pretty potent and that is standard fare for a CMG/CCG. I can see that issue being magnified with more expansions. I still like the game but don't want to play competitively since it will turn into who can spend the most to get the super rares.

It would be refreshing to see a CMG/CCG not turn into a rarity race but seriously doubt that will happen since that is the primary force that drives the CMG/CCG sales model.

Newb.
Old November 25th, 2008, 11:10 PM

Blackrock is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilNewbie View Post
Some of the powers for the Super Rares are pretty potent and that is standard fare for a CMG/CCG. I can see that issue being magnified with more expansions. I still like the game but don't want to play competitively since it will turn into who can spend the most to get the super rares.

It would be refreshing to see a CMG/CCG not turn into a rarity race but seriously doubt that will happen since that is the primary force that drives the CMG/CCG sales model.

Newb.
They do at least try to moderate the use of Legendaries (all of which are epic but for the rare Chen Stormstout). In Battlegrounds style, you may only use one, and they have a high honor value and award double VP when slain. In Arena style, since there is no VP, you can only use a Legendary if your opponent uses one too (or perhaps they just have to have the same number; I'd like to see 3 Legendaries vs 3 Legendaries in an Arena-style match).
Old November 25th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Spider Poison's Nemesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilNewbie View Post

Newb.

actually, the legendaries are not overpowered if your playing the game right. In fact, I think they arn't worth the extra points you have earn. We've used several of them in matchups with other legendarys and without one. It didn't make a differance. The legendary was the downfall of both teams, and responsible for the loss on the games with only one side having one. When you have a character worth 10 honor, that's almost another kill worth of VP points you need right there, and you the other side gets 8 VP points if he kills your legendary. That is a huge point spread. The guy with the small army will benefit hugely on aquiring the land VP's. If you have a 3 man team witha legendary. Say 5 point, 10 point (legend), and a 7 point. That's 22 victory points you need to win.
Now the other guy has 4, 6 and 7 points. that's only 17. you kill that legendary once... your already at 9 to win. And believe me, all the legendaries except the pally are squishy. The pally has his drawbacks thou. Now if you score 1 VP point for standing next to a location by tick 5. now your already at 8. That's another legendary kill, or two peon kills. That's a lot easier than having to kill 5 peons, and aquire 2 more location VP's.

Old November 26th, 2008, 02:11 AM

I hope it doesn't continue to be so one-sided against the Legendaries. Perhaps it all just has to do with tactics, effectively blowing down the enemy as quickly as you can with your Legendary's ranged spell(s). I do like how Tyrande can shoot anyone anywhere on the board with her Searing Arrow. I haven't seen the others yet, but I hope I get a Thrall. I haven't even seen his sculpt, or Bolvar for that matter, but Thrall's a big favorite of mine.
Old November 29th, 2008, 04:49 PM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
I hope it doesn't continue to be so one-sided against the Legendaries. Perhaps it all just has to do with tactics, effectively blowing down the enemy as quickly as you can with your Legendary's ranged spell(s). I do like how Tyrande can shoot anyone anywhere on the board with her Searing Arrow. I haven't seen the others yet, but I hope I get a Thrall. I haven't even seen his sculpt, or Bolvar for that matter, but Thrall's a big favorite of mine.
I pulled Bolvar the other day. He's pretty good for the most part, but there's a lot of competition for Alliance Paladins. He's really hard to kill though, particularly since he can carry two Heals one of which deals unblockable damage to the enemy. It's probably greatly to his benefit that he's not likely to give your opponent 8 points.

Offensively he's probably not going to score a lot of kills either. He's got a very good, better than average attack, but he's not the heavy hitter Savin is either. His Crit isn't bad, but relies on his allies taking damage. His unblockable support ability is nice, but probably not as useful as Hodoon's Armor buff or Graccus's damage absorption as far as teamwork is concerned.

Basically, Bolvar's best aspect is that everything about him puts a giant bullseye which he can handle. He's powerful, but in a lot of ways I'd rather take Graccus. Graccus is nearly as survivable, costs 3 less honor, doesn't give 8 honor when killed, and even has his own exclusive (for now) action card that acts as a very powerful AoE magic attack. Not only that, but the two strike a nearly identical pose, with Graccus having far larger and more detailed weapons, and more colorful armor to boot.
Old November 29th, 2008, 10:33 PM

I called my local store today, and they finally got the event kits in! Bases, stickers, dice, vinyl mat, and a poster, I won it all 'cos I was the only non-employee participant in the tournament that never happened. I'll claim the bundle tomorrow, hopefully, but I do hope we rake in more players in time to start organized play.

In related news, I finally met a Heroscape player! With any luck we can meet tomorrow at the store to play when I go to pick up my lucre. He posted on here as tricky or something but I don't think he keeps active. We played a couple games on Wednesday afternoon and I got a Sunscale Scytheclaw from him in a trade. Not a bad monster, plus I can use it as Bloodclaw.
Old November 30th, 2008, 01:00 AM
Spider Poison's Nemesis

well if you score a tanaris vinyl map. I'll trade a crapload of sealed rares for it. Could get close to completing the set. I already have the winterspring vinyl. Plus i'll throw in a winterspring/tanaris paper map, so you'll still have tanaris to play on. The paper ones are the same size as the vinyls.

Old November 30th, 2008, 03:04 PM

Hmm, I'll consider your offer; I prefer Winterspring anyway. Also, if you're just out to collect figures (without cards), I'd be willing to trade my Goblin Shredder if I pull another one packaged with the correct cards. I have yet to mail out my Storm Rager cards to the company but I will try to do that this week. However, should I pull a proper Shredder in the pack I buy today (I'll try for a heavy one, so it could happen), I'll just say "to heck with it". Of course, I understand if you would want the cards.
Old December 1st, 2008, 12:34 AM
Spider Poison's Nemesis

I no longer need goblin shredder. I have a full set. Hence why I can trade a lot of my doubles for the Tanaris map.

Old December 1st, 2008, 01:53 AM

Aah, well, congratulations! Unfortunately, I only received a Winterspring map, and no poster. Oh well, I guess they kept the other stuff, if they got it at all (though the lady on the phone said I was to get a poster). I just don't want to be greedy, I'm happy with what I got. The three green dice & bases help a lot.

I like the vinyl, much better than paper, but I don't know about the layout of the Winterspring battleground. Have you played with it? For those who don't have it, the map is huge but all the action is funneled into the middle, as the only VP space is smack-dab in the center. Not only that, but the two Spawn Points are only four spaces away from the VP space each. It would be great in Arena style, but for Battleground style it feels like it will just be another clusterfrack to the center.
Old December 1st, 2008, 01:28 PM

ewabbie knows what's in an order marker ewabbie knows what's in an order marker

does the deluxe set come with a new map? I have a set pre-ordered.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Miniatures