Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Contests and Forum Games
Contests and Forum Games Create, Participate, or Vote in a contest or Forum game here

Old January 14th, 2013, 01:15 PM

Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death!
Trash to Treasure Custom Terrain Contest

OK, the very first Trash to Treasure Custom Terrain Contest has begun!

The heart of this contest is to take the assigned everyday objects and use them to create a piece of custom terrain that could be used on a HS battlefield.

The assigned objects have to be used in such a way that they are the prominent feature/foundation of the terrain and not just an added piece that the terrain could do fine without.

For example, if the assigned object was plastic Easter eggs the below piece was constructed entirely of plastic Easter eggs and hot glue. The plastic eggs aren't just another piece of the terrain, they are the foundation and prominent feature of the terrain. If there were no plastic eggs in it, there would be no custom terrain.

General Rules and Guidelines

General Rules
1. In order for your submission to be eligible you must follow all Rules and Guidelines and submit your entry by the posted due date.
2. Once you have PMd your entry to me, it is your final submission unless you include a note asking for help.
3. No more than one entry per participant. If you do create more than one entry, you will be responsible to choose which one you wish to submit.
4. You may not submit any custom terrain previously posted publicly anywhere on heroscapers.com
5. You may not post your entry on heroscapers.com or reveal who the creator is of a particular entry until after the winner for that contest has been announced. This is just to make sure the voting is as impartial as possible rather than a popularity contest between members.
6. All entries must be reasonably compatible with the Heroscape battle system.
7. Most importantly- have fun creating custom terrain!

Submission Guidelines
1. All submissions must follow all guidelines and not be in violation of the rules of this forum.
2. The entry must use the object(s) assigned for that contest in a way that it/they are the prominent feature/foundation of the terrain and not just another part of it.
3. For this contest, the terrain must fit on no more than a total of seven (7) Heroscape hexes. The hexes do not necessarily have to be in the arrangement of the 7-hex tile.
4. Pre-cast structures and buildings (i.e. Hirst Art Studios, Fantascene, aquarium structures, etc.) are not permitted in this contest but pre-made foliage (i.e. Christmas village trees, aquarium plants, etc.) are permitted. If you have a question on whether a certain item is permitted please feel free to PM me with a picture of the object in question.
5. Submit exactly 3 photos of your entry. One of them must be of the entry completely by itself with no HS or other figures. The other two photos can be with or without figures. It is recommended that at least one photo have figures with the terrain to give a sense of scale.
6. PM the entry to me. The PM should be titled: Trash to Treasure Terrain Contest/ (insert screen name here)
7. It is very much preferred that submitted entries be in .jpg format (this cuts down significantly on screen loading time)

Winning
After the initial deadline for submitting entries, all entries that meet the requirements will (if necessary) be divided into as even as possible groups and be placed in separate polls. If more than one poll is necessary, the winner of each poll will be placed into a finalists poll. Whoever wins this poll will be declared the contest's winner.

Prize
If there are at least five entries, the winner of the contest will receive a $15 gift card for Auggies, an awesome online store from a guy who is a great supporter of the HS community here!

Voting
When you vote in the poll, try to keep these things in mind:
1. Does the entry make use of the assigned object(s) for this contest?
2. Are the assigned objects the prominent feature/foundation of the entry or are they just another part of it with everything else? IOW, the entry may look really cool, but did it miss the point of the contest?
3. Is the entry reasonably compatible with official HS game? Can figures easily move on the terrain? Are hexes/spaces clearly marked? Does it fit reasonably well on HS hexes?

This Particular Contest
The assigned objects for the First Trash to Treasure Custom Terrain Contest are:
Egg cartons (cardboard or foam is fine)

and
Drinking straws (straight, bendy, crazy, etc.)

Submission Deadline
All entries for this contest must be received by me by PM by Midnight, February 25, 2013 (six weeks from the original posting of this announcement)
Appropriate polls will be posted beginning February 26th to close March 5th. The winner will be announced on March 5th (lots of time to design and lots of time to vote).

Custom Contest FAQs

Q:If there is more than one assigned object for a contest, must I use all assigned objects in my entry?
A:Yes, each assigned object must be used in the entry in a way that keeps in the guidelines for use of assigned objects (prominent feature/foundation, etc.)

Q: If my entry has special rules that go with it, can I submit those as well?
A: For the sake of simplicity and purity in voting, no special rules will be posted with entries that are interactive terrain. However, I do have some plans for a couple other terrain contests so keep that thought.

Q: If there are too many entries for one poll will there be a "finalists" poll that has the top entries from each poll, or will the winner be whoever gets the most votes out of all the polls?
A: There will be a "finalists" poll which be made up the winner from each of the first, or Round One (R1), polls.

Q: Can I vote in each poll, or do I just vote for my favorite entry out of all of them?
A: You can vote once in each poll that is put up.

Q: If there is more than one round of polls what will their timeframe be?
A: Typically the timeframe for a poll will be 1 week.

Q: How are ties broken?
A: If there is a tie in R1, all cards involved in the tie will proceed to the finalists round (R2). If there is tie in R2, there will be a third round (R3) which will be comprised of all the cards involved in the tie from R2.

Q: Where are the polls going to be placed? In the Custom Terrain Section? or the Contest section?
A: The polls will always be posted in the Contests Sub-forum. There is an announcement thread in the Custom Terrain sub-forum in which I will post links to each of the polls.

Q: Which time zone's "midnight" are you using as the submission cutoff?
A: I am taking into consideration the time zone that the entrant lives in. All things considered, that seems the most fair (ie, if someone in the eastern time zone and someone in the pacific time zone both get home from work at 6pm to work on their entry before the deadline, the person in the eastern time zone would get three extra hours to work on it if I hold all entries to my time zone).

Now, if an entrant does not have a location listed in their profile, then I will hold them to my own time zone (Eastern).

Since this is the first terrain contest I have ever hosted I may have missed some things in the rules, guidelines, etc. so feel free to let me know if you think of something that needs to be added or a mistake I made in the above post.

With your help we can make this contest a joy to be a part of rather than a head scratching, stress inducing ordeal for all involved.

Last edited by Lamaclown; January 14th, 2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old January 14th, 2013, 01:31 PM

samthegoat knows what's in an order marker samthegoat knows what's in an order marker
Re: Trash to Treasure Custom Terrain Contest

Just out of interest, must you use both items? As I know I have egg cartons to hand, but no straws, so will I need to get some?
Thanks in advance,
Samthegoat
Old January 14th, 2013, 01:46 PM

Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samthegoat View Post
Just out of interest, must you use both items? As I know I have egg cartons to hand, but no straws, so will I need to get some?
Thanks in advance,
Samthegoat
Good question, StG; thanks for asking. I will add it to the FAQ.

To answer your question, yes, all assigned objects must be used in the entry.
Old January 14th, 2013, 02:33 PM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

Interested! Thanks for running this contest Lamaclown.
Old January 14th, 2013, 03:40 PM
has been BANNED

qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I might give this a whirl.
Old January 14th, 2013, 11:39 PM

belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby!

I'm in!
Old January 15th, 2013, 03:39 PM

JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Sounds very cool Lamaclown. I wont be in this one but will keep my eyes on this an may enter different one.
Old January 15th, 2013, 05:25 PM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

Cool stuff! I'll have to think about an entry.
Old January 17th, 2013, 12:33 AM
A cool title

shafizele is surprisingly tart

I am definitely in on this one, what exactly is the point here though? I know the theme is trash to treasure but are we going for the coolest looking or the most practical or somewhere in between?

Whatever you do, DO NOT read this, it's completely pointless.
Old January 17th, 2013, 01:54 AM
No good deed goes unpunished

greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I think Lamaclown wants to make some cheap terrain and decided that putting a bounty on it would get him some good ideas.

Tournament Armies Played - C3VRP - Customs - Trades

I'm Krug in the Paradox Keep and Augamo on the Sacred Tundra.
Old January 17th, 2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafizele View Post
I am definitely in on this one, what exactly is the point here though? I know the theme is trash to treasure but are we going for the coolest looking or the most practical or somewhere in between?
Well, go for whichever one you want, coolest, most practical, in between, and the voters will decide which they like the best. It depends really on who votes: people who like "cool" or pragmatists or people who like a blend. I myself like a blend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greygnarl View Post
I think Lamaclown wants to make some cheap terrain and decided that putting a bounty on it would get him some good ideas.
Aw, man, I've been found out
Old January 17th, 2013, 09:46 AM
OHS S40 and VCheese #2 Champion

boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Question. The Submission guidelines say that it an take up no more than 7 hexes. I assume they don't need to be connected, but, if they were to be in a weird formation, and connected by something that passed over other hexes without blocking them is this permissible?

EDIT: Kinda similar to your plastic eggs, but with the connecting tendrils well of the ground.

Tournament Record:128-54 Online record:67-34
Peoria IL Monthly Tournaments

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Contests and Forum Games