Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old August 14th, 2014, 06:56 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Wrapped up a 5 player game of Dead of Winter. The humans did not fare well, largely because both face up and face down cards both put enormous pressure on our unluckily small fuel supply. Sorry for hoarding what little I had, @Jim !
Sparky didn't even get his chance to shine!
Did you have fun anyway?

Face up/face down cards?

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old August 14th, 2014, 09:55 PM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Wrapped up a 5 player game of Dead of Winter. The humans did not fare well, largely because both face up and face down cards both put enormous pressure on our unluckily small fuel supply. Sorry for hoarding what little I had, @Jim !
Did you have fun anyway?

Face up/face down cards?
Of course I had fun!

What do you mean by face up/face down cards? #GenConTired

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.
Old August 14th, 2014, 10:16 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Did you have fun anyway?

Face up/face down cards?
Of course I had fun!

What do you mean by face up/face down cards? #GenConTired
Quote:
The humans did not fare well, largely because both face up and face down cards both put enormous pressure on our unluckily small fuel supply
Maybe it was a scenario I'm not familiar with, or term of face up and face down cards putting pressure on the fuel supply.

Old August 14th, 2014, 10:56 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

We did not have much fuel in our face down hands. We also had two players whose face down secret objectives encouraged fuel hoarding. Then two players burned fuel to get from point A to point B. Then we had back to back rounds where the face up objective cards demanded fuel and we failed both. Partly because I was hoarding 2, but mostly not.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old August 14th, 2014, 11:06 PM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
We did not have much fuel in our face down hands. We also had two players whose face down secret objectives encouraged fuel hoarding. Then two players burned fuel to get from point A to point B. Then we had back to back rounds where the face up objective cards demanded fuel and we failed both. Partly because I was hoarding 2, but mostly not.
Okay, so face down hands = cards in player's hand (people didn't have many fuel cards in hand)

You had a couple players with secret objectives to hoard fuel

Used fuel to move and avoid exposure (thus not having them in their hands)

Face up objective cards = Crisis cards requiring fuel (likely one fuel card for each non-exiled player).

You were hoarding fuel and caused everyone to lose

Old August 15th, 2014, 08:15 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

As I continue to enjoy the virtual GenCon experience, even though I'm not there, for which GenCon release games have I been able to download the brand new rules?

1. Quartermaster General This is the only game so far that will be an automatic buy for me that I didn't know about at all beforehand. It looks quite fun, even though it manages to shorten a strategic WWII simulation for 2-6 players down to 1 1/2--2 hours. Its got an innovative card play system, so its not just Axis and Allies Lite.

2. Firefly: Blue Sun Rim Space Expansion Oh yeah! Lots of fun things, some of which seem to offer new play styles, like cortexing money around the board! A board extension offers a whole new realm of The Verse, and Mr. Universe's Big Damn Challenges are the answer to those who have recruited the 'perfect crew' and think they've broken the game. The other new contact, Lord Harrow, may make a Legal strategy finally viable! Three new scenarios appear with new crew, gear, a ship upgrade, and jobs. And as the movie license appears in our next exciting chapter, more Reavers are gathering around Planet Miranda with new rules to spread terror through the game!!!

Last edited by chas; August 15th, 2014 at 08:31 AM.
Old August 15th, 2014, 07:17 PM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth

Played Drakon with my youngest boys (twins). We had a good game & I was surprised at how well they learned it.

Also played my just received KS copy of Krash Karts & it is quite enjoyable. It's like a Mario Kart board game & there is quite a bit of interactivity with players causing lots of "ha, I stopped you!" moments.

The rules weren't completely understandable on how to play from the start, but they are quite descriptive, so they probably just need a run-through example to help get you going.

The component quality isn't great with almost the whole thing being made of 180gsm (my guesstimate) cardboard. That's the markers, character cards, kart cards & laying tiles. The cards for the characters & karts are a little dark & could do with a greater contrast on the dark end of the curve. However the karts are molded plastic & are very good.

It plays in around 20-30 minutes so it's a good fun filler game & definitely one to play with kids that have limited attention spans. We all enjoyed & I am sure we will play again.

Last edited by A3n; August 16th, 2014 at 01:35 AM.
Old August 15th, 2014, 08:54 PM
Prickly Cactus

Sounds like fun A3n

On another note, anyone see the news of Imperial Assault from FFG. Star Wars version of Descent!

Old August 16th, 2014, 12:46 AM
Who Bummed Woo

rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Sounds like fun A3n

On another note, anyone see the news of Imperial Assault from FFG. Star Wars version of Descent!
I am uber-excited about this one, for sure!

"Chewie should move 6, lumbering or not. He's got long-ass legs"-
Old August 16th, 2014, 07:04 AM
Prickly Cactus

Yeah Rym, it certainly does look cool and I'm sure there will be a few copies of it in my group when it comes out

Just saw this picture on my group's FB page. One of the guys in my group (Zack, the guy on the right with the glasses looking at the camera) got to play Dead of Winter with the Shut Up and Sit Down crew and Jon Gilmour the game's designer taught it and took the picture. Those guys from Shut Up and Sit Down are freakin' awesomely funny and it must have been a blast!

Old August 16th, 2014, 08:53 AM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Imperial Assault looks fantastic.

Finally played Dead of Winter yesterday over lunch (lready had it set-up so we could jump right in). Made quite a few mistakes in a Survive objective loss. Still fantastic and can't wait to play with 4 or 5 people. Played another game of Spurs last night with newly painted wooden "bullets" (much better feel than the cardboard bullets). Another game, another loss. Still good fun. @akden picked up the Gambler expansion for me at Gencon, so that should add to the fun. Praise be to akden for single-handedly making everything else I buy for my daughter's birthday in a few weeks meaningless.
Old August 16th, 2014, 09:01 AM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by akden View Post
My son and I have played two games of Dead of Winter in the last few days. Since it was just the two of us, we played purely co-op without a traitor or hidden goals. Even without those additional mechanics, it's still a very fun, tense game with a ton of theme. We squeaked out two wins, each one on the last round if the game, and in one if those, our morale ended up at one, which is one away from a loss.

At this point, we haven't had the additional players around to spice things up, but I am so looking forward to the opportunity to play this with more people
Trying this again with the @ Special Attack.

We (You @akden , @Dad_Scaper , Stephen, @OverEngineered , and I) should get together after GenCon for a game of this. Can't wait to "help" everyone win this.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games