Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Comics
Comics Not Heroscape or Marvel Heroscape.

Old September 16th, 2014, 06:35 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
The Wonder of Wonder Woman

I've just finished an important new nine page article in The New Yorker magazine (Sept. 22, 2014) titled: "ANNALS OF ENTERTAINMENT THE LAST AMAZON: Wonder Woman Returns" by Jill Lepore. It uses the upcoming appearance of Wonder Woman in the new DC film to examine a number of related sociological issues, some of which would probably make some readers uncomfortable if discussed on a family site like this one. So I'll just mention a few of the areas covered, and those who wish to read the article may do so for themselves:

*The real life role model and origin of the character, and her place in the trajectory of the U.S. national feminist movement in the Twentieth Century.

*The theories and unconventional marital arrangements of William Moulton Marston, her psychologist creator.

*The loss of the character's original focus and mission after her creator's death, and part of the story of his family since then.

* The challenge of reviving the character in film in the Twenty-First Century.
Old September 17th, 2014, 12:42 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth
Re: The Wonder of Wonder Woman

Good stuff. I watched a special on her before and for the life of me I cannot remember what it was. I want to say it was about strong female icons because I believe it also focused on Rosie the Riveter and She-Ra.
Pretty cool that the creator of WW invented the lie detector. The special touched on the revamping of the character where she was reduced to a damsel in distress.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old September 17th, 2014, 01:06 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

I've seen a number of videos and articles on the comics that didn't probe very far into Marston's life. This one, written from a more serious adult perspective, dives right in. It makes me like the guy even more.

After his death, DC refused to hire his main female creative partner. Its been pretty downhill ever since with the character in terms of her standing up for an alternative social direction and the fight for women's rights, which has lost important ground since the 1970s in the US, partly due to in fighting between various feminist groups.

When the article's author asks his son, now old, what he'd do to portray her today, he replied: "Return to her origins."

Last edited by chas; October 29th, 2014 at 01:42 PM.
Old October 29th, 2014, 01:43 PM

The book came out yesterday, and I'm off to Barnes and Noble. I don't buy hardbacks much anymore, but I'm going for this one!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Comics