Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Marvel Discussion
Marvel Discussion General discussion, units, rules & FAQs specific to Marvel HS

Notices

Old August 26th, 2014, 02:06 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Re: The New Molten Lava Damage Rule

Dysole: That sounds good. I'll playtest it first before I revise the language "officially."
Old September 16th, 2014, 07:10 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

I've now made a couple of edits to the OP rule, based on suggestions here. Unfortunately, there were no lava casualties in our TIG2 game; so the rule remains untested. I'll report how it worked the next time someone becomes thus distressed...
Old September 25th, 2014, 11:40 PM
Online HS Season 6 Champion

TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I don't have a problem with the official Molten Lava rules for classic scape, however it's a different situation with supers. The C3G molten lava nerf helps, but not enough in my experience.

Your new rules certainly turn Molten Lava into a mini-event and look like they'd help to balance it for supers. My comments on them are in blue.

Blank: Figure takes no damage; but remove any Order Markers on that card; the OMs removed are not revealed to other players. If a squad member, this figure cannot be activated by any OMs for the rest of this round.
This could be pretty devastating, if the hero has OM's on their card, I'd rather have rolled a skull. Also, it's really not that big of a deal for common squads, since the player will likely still be able to activate a full squad, with no real loss.

Skull: Roll three combat dice, taking one unblockable wound for each skull rolled. This may result in no damage.
This is a pretty solid effect.

Shield: Roll three combat dice, taking a number of wounds equal to its life number minus the number of shields rolled. If no shields are rolled, the figure is defeated.
A draw-back here is that it's slightly confusing. Also it really benefits low life figures vs high life. So squad figures with 1 life would only need to roll 1 shield and they would be safe, if I interpret that correctly. And would an 8-life figure like Thor who has 3 wounds be considered a 5 life figure or 8 life figure when thrown into lava? In the latter he has no chance to survive upon rolling a shield. Formula...
[Receives # of wounds = to life] - [# of shields rolled]... so
8 - [# of shields rolled]
So best case scenario for Thor upon rolling a shield is that he rolls 3 shields and still receives 5 wounds. Meanwhile a street thug needs only roll 1 shield and survives (about 70% odds).

~~~~

I think the way to go would be to use your Skulls & Shields variant for heroes only, while the Squad figures suffer the fate of the D20 imposed by the official 'broken' molten lava rules. After all, the average squad figure is perhaps worth 20-25 pts., so losing them in lava isn't quite the same as having Thor perish in an instant.

Here's my own offering on a Molten Lava variant for supers, inspired by your Skulls & Shields variant.

Squad figures (and perhaps Common Heroes) -
Standard D20 roll.
1-19 = destroyed.
20 = safe.

Unique Heroes -
Roll 1 combat die.
Blank = auto-destroy (figures with SS instead receive 3 wounds)
Shield = safe, no damage.
Skull = 1 wound. Or 1 wound and roll 1 combat die, receiving an additional wound if it's a skull.
Old September 26th, 2014, 12:27 AM

Sparkle,

Squads in most Supers games I play are usually few and weak, so keeping them around to take a part in the game is not a bad thing in my mind. (When I play "Pulp Adventure," with supers not over about 200 points, they have more of a function). But here they have a 50% chance to roll a Shield for their first effect roll, which means that they are pretty much toast! So using the rule as is actually means it will provide as full a spectrum of possible effects on squad figures as on heroes, which is the intent. In this case it just reverse which roll causes heavy damage and which light damage to the figure!
Old September 29th, 2014, 10:10 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

I don't ever play with lava tiles because they unbalance the game so much, even the C3G version is really deadly. The blank and skull result you have seem pretty good but I'm not sure your shield result works all that well. As Sparkle mentioned, it can actually be a far worse fate then the skull roll for higher life (and thus often higher point) heroes. Perhaps just have the shield version work the same way as the skull version. You take 1 wound for each shield rolled on 3 dice, and thus still have a 0-3 wound potential but at different odds. Or if the intent was to have the shield result be the most dangerous, have each shield rolled count as 2 wounds and it has a 0-6 wound potential.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Marvel Discussion