Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Comics
Comics Not Heroscape or Marvel Heroscape.

Old November 5th, 2013, 11:57 PM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth
Re: Comics: what are you currently reading?

I still need to read the original Sandman. Heard it was coming back. Maybe after I get through more Chaos stuff I'll get into it.
Old November 6th, 2013, 08:56 AM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Yeah, Saga is at the top of my "graphic novels to buy" list right now ... I know at least volume 1 and 2 are out.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old November 6th, 2013, 04:33 PM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth

I have read the first issue of Saga & found it quite well done & probably will eventually go back to it at a later date. Just currently reading a very interesting novel (Wool).
Old November 6th, 2013, 05:09 PM

Mars1912 knows what's in an order marker Mars1912 knows what's in an order marker

I picked up 45 issues of avengers west coast at Fallcon in Minneapolis for 20¢ apiece. It's a solid comic but because I got them at a con I am missing key issues.
Old December 23rd, 2013, 11:08 PM

Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Greetings all,

What am I reading....seems like some days the question should be 'what aren't I reading'. Lately I've really been back into comics, bad for the wallet, but since I've got pretty much all the 'scape I need and there hasn't been a lot of new games coming out I gotta do something....

Here's a list of what's currently on my pull file:

Fantastic Four
New Avengers
Harley Quinn
Batgirl
Superman/Wonderwoman
Suicide Squad
Justice League
Justice League of America
Forever Evil
Indestructible Hulk
Batman
Green Lantern
Inhumanity
Marvel Knights: Hulk
Thunderbolts
Imagine Agents
Fables
Fairest
Letter 44

However, I've won some ebay auctions so I've actually been reading a lot more. I hate to say it but ebay is a great way to jump into a complete series of books for relatively cheap(usually). I picked up the entire run of Marvel Knights 4(Fantastic Four) - 30 comics for $15. The entire run of Ultimate Fantastic Four, 1-60, for $34. Thunderbolts(1997) 1-74 for $75. A great way to get going on new titles.

Plus I visited a local comic store that I hadn't been to in probably 10 years because it is a run down dump...however, in the back room I discovered about 20 long boxes where they just dump all their overload and "worthless" comics in no order, rhyme or reason, and they are all .50 each. So I spent 3 evenings for about 3 hours each while my wife was out of town hunting through the boxes...kind of made me feel like a kid again, looking for stuff I needed and finding other stuff I just wanted to read. My 11 yr old collects Incredible Hulk comics and he asked for some this Christmas. I found about 40 issues he needed in those boxes. Not a bad present for $20.

Plus going through *every* *single* *box* I found a ton of stuff I wanted. I found a Suicide Squad #1 from 1987. About 10 old Doctor Strange from the 1974 run. Some House of M stuff, some Siege stuff. Some issues of Fantastic Four I don't have and a whole bunch of other stuff like the last run of Immortal Iron Fist among others. Not a complete run, but enough that it makes me want to hunt down the rest of the series so I can give it a read.

I've really been turned off by Marvel's damn near constant event cycle but through ebay and cheap sale comics I've been working to get the books involved in various events, since most of the time the event crosses into books I don't read or care about I don't buy them at the time. But if you can latch onto some cheap stuff like The House of M 1-8 for .99 total, it makes it a lot more palatable to gather the issues involved(now many years later) and then read them in a group.

Anyway, there's been a lot of good comics out there lately it seems. The Thunderbolts Annual was excellent, everything an Annual should be, good art, a great self contained story with some cool story moments. Letter 44 is a great concept and I'm really excited to see what the future issues hold for that one. I was really excited for the Harley Quinn series, and I'll continue getting it for awhile, but I'm really unsure where it's going. I *love* Harley Quinn's character in the recent Suicide Squad comics, but so far it just doesn't feel right in her own book, which I'm kind of bummed about.

I could go on and on, but I'll shut it down for now.

Questions or comments on the titles listed?

- Raider30
Old December 24th, 2013, 12:53 AM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Reading Transformers: UK Volume 1.
Old December 24th, 2013, 05:13 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Raider30,

You sure are a dedicated comic fan! I only buy graphic novels now, so I at least I get the whole series included. I have an independent book store nearby that sells second hand ones for half price.

A pal (and his son who still collects) have come to the sad conclusion that 'event' comics now are just sales manipulators, or media tie ins. It sounds like you agree.
Old December 24th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Who ISN'T One of My Brothers??

TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun

Anyone else reading the Weird Western series from Kelley Sue DeConnick and Emma Ríos, Pretty Deadly? It's got a lot of dark and mythological elements and it's narrated by a dead rabbit to a butterfly. The story's taking a while to get going and make itself clear, but the art and atmosphere make it a very worthwhile read.

".... the Cambridge ladies do not care, above
Cambridge if sometimes in its box of
sky lavender and cornerless, the
moon rattles like a fragment of angry candy"
Old December 24th, 2013, 11:34 AM
3 GIFs in a Trenchcoat

Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I just finished reading Blackest Night and I'm working my way through Crisis on Infinite Earths.

"They are too numerous to fight. What shall we do?" "Fight anyway."

"You can never defeat another if you know not how to defeat yourself."
my tradelist
Old December 24th, 2013, 11:41 AM

Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollBrute View Post
Anyone else reading the Weird Western series from Kelley Sue DeConnick and Emma Ríos, Pretty Deadly? It's got a lot of dark and mythological elements and it's narrated by a dead rabbit to a butterfly. The story's taking a while to get going and make itself clear, but the art and atmosphere make it a very worthwhile read.
Several of the comic's podcasts I listen to have had really good things to say about Pretty Deadly. I had it in my hands on the last trip to the shop but I just have too much other stuff going on to get into yet another one. Plus with Marvel Now starting up there are a couple of titles I wanted to try out like the new Black Widow. However....Imagine Agents is a 4 issue mini-series and it's already on issue #3 so that'll free up some space for another comic soon...

- Raider30
Old December 24th, 2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
Raider30,

You sure are a dedicated comic fan! I only buy graphic novels now, so I at least I get the whole series included. I have an independent book store nearby that sells second hand ones for half price.

A pal (and his son who still collects) have come to the sad conclusion that 'event' comics now are just sales manipulators, or media tie ins. It sounds like you agree.
I just can't get into the graphic novels. I grew up hunting through bins looking for stuff to work on my collection when I was like 10 years old using my lawn mowing money. I've got some nice old issues of Fantastic Four, most are only in decent shape, but for me that wasn't the point. It was owning the issue and reading the issue. Graphic novels just don't have that collectible aspect to them.

Right now space isn't really an issue. I've only got about 2100 comics and have recently come across a wonderful product called Drawer Boxes. It's basically like a short or long box but the walls on the sides are double thick and the interior slides out like a drawer. Since the walls are double thick you can stack them supposedly up to 6 high, but I think 2-3 right now is enough for me. A short box one is about $10 so around twice as much as a normal short box. But if you order online from their store I think you can get discounts knocking it down to $8.50 or so. Anyway, its a nice system I think.

And yes, I have had event fatigue since right after Civil War, which IMO was the last great Marvel event. Some of the events have good stories but it's like one right after another so there is no time for writers to plot fallout of these supposedly 'world shaking events that will change the Marvel universe forever...' blech. Plus it definitely feels like a money grab and I don't go along with those.

Marvel is also on my naughty list because of their damn constant renumbering and restarting of their books. I know why they do it and I don't really care. It can be very difficult to collect if there are too many stops and starts. Incredible Hulk has *7* different starts and stops through the years with 6 of them coming from 1999 onward. Seriously???

- Raider30
Old December 26th, 2013, 02:48 AM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth

Thanks to Lord Pyre's incessant ranting about Invincible, I am currently reading it. And I have to say, very, very, very good read.

There are a lot plot twist that you just don't see coming. I would say the plot twists are as unexpected as Captain Britain's ones but a hell of a lot more grounded in their nature. It has a great personal life coverage that is a bit of a cross between Blue Beetle (James Reyes) Astro City.

Definitely a great series to get into. I started 3 or 4 days ago & have been reading any moment my wife hasn't noticed me in one spot long enough to find something for me to do . I'm up to No 70 as I type this.

Thank you LP for a great recommendation.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Comics