Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Comics
Comics Not Heroscape or Marvel Heroscape.

Old April 30th, 2013, 05:10 PM
Who ISN'T One of My Brothers??

TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun
Comics: what are you currently reading?

We have a thread for books, movies, TV and music, but I couldn't find one for comics and I know I'm not the only comic book lover on here. So here's a thread to discuss whatever you're reading right now, whether it be single issues, monthly titles, TPB and hardcover collections or graphic novels. Whatcha readin'?

The monthly title that is currently rocking my socks off is Saga by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples. It's crazy, weird, gory, explicit, funny, sweet and heartwarming, sometimes all at the same time. This book cements Brian K. Vaughan as one of my favorite comic writers and it's made even better by Fiona Staples' gorgeous art. Though I have to say that it is not for those that are easily offended. They're not kidding on the Mature rating.

I also just read the first couple collections of Sweet Tooth. It's a weird little post-apocalyptic drama by Jeff Lemire, another of my favorite modern comic book writers. It caught my attention more than the first 12 issues of The Walking Dead did, though I'm going continue reading both.

".... the Cambridge ladies do not care, above
Cambridge if sometimes in its box of
sky lavender and cornerless, the
moon rattles like a fragment of angry candy"
Old April 30th, 2013, 05:19 PM
3 GIFs in a Trenchcoat

Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Comics: what are you currently reading?

I am reading through the original Avenger's comics that a friend owns. I'm reading number 6 right now.

"They are too numerous to fight. What shall we do?" "Fight anyway."

"You can never defeat another if you know not how to defeat yourself."
my tradelist
Old April 30th, 2013, 05:29 PM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

Walking Dead, Invincible, Invincible Universe, and Injustice: Gods Among Us at the moment.

I read some Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man (With Miles), and the new Scarlet Spider occasionally, but the previous are my main pulls right now.
Old April 30th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Last :-(

Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I've been picking up the latest of the New 52 comics from my library. I just finished reading Green Lantern Vol. 2 and Justice League Vol. 1-2 (great book). My favorite though, is definitely the Red Hood and the Outlaws series, great story and even better characters.

I'm hoping to purchase the Avengers Vs Xmen soon, I can't wait to read that one. Also, Free Comic Book Day is this weekend!!!!
Old April 30th, 2013, 08:16 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Congratulations on a great thread idea! Let's give it the send off it deserves:

1. SUPERMAN: THE HIGH FLYING HISTORY OF AMERICA'S MOST ENDURING HERO by Larry Tye (Nonfiction prose). The history of everything Superman from 1938-2012. I saw the author present at the Superman At 75 celebration here in NYC this year, and he did a fine job. The book is a great read, for young and old.

2. X-MEN: SEASON ONE by Dennis Hopeless and Jamie McKelvie (Graphic Novel) A nice retelling of the original, with adventure, romance, and fun. "You fixed him, didn't you?" --Warren to Jean re: Scott.

3. CORTO MALTESE: THE BALLAD OF THE SALT SEA by Hugo Pratt (The very first Graphic Novel of many; translated into English) The most famous European comic hero, a nautical Indiana Jones of World War I, by the amazing Venetian Jewish author whose life was almost as colorful. When I was in Venice not long ago, I hung out reading his adventures in the Corto Maltese Lounge of my hotel, with Corto's naval uniform coat draped nearby, as if he had just dropped in. My first CM was purchased in Nice in French years before, and the Lounge held all of his adventures in Italian. I almost forgot to see the city!

4. OH MY GODDESS by Kosuke Fujishima (Ah Megamisama! Book 43: Chapters 269-275) In the latest installment of the longest running Japanese Manga published in the USA, the Norse Norn Goddesses Urd (Past), Belldandy (Present), and Skuld (Future), along with the mortal who loves at least one of them, are harrowing the Underworld, to restore the rule of its demonic former CEO (Urd's Mom). Super cute for the child in all of us, and philosophical/mystical as heck; it spawned a movie and two TV seasons--so far. There goes my street cred...

5. RICHARD WAGNER'S THE RING OF THE NIBELUNG: THE COMPLETE GRAPHIC NOVEL by Roy Thomas and Gil Kane with Jim Woodring (1991) In this, one of the greatest works of visual art ever created, two of the old masters tackle literature and pin it to the ground. An astounding re-read, especially if you are studying the operas, as I am right now. Pow!

Last edited by chas; May 1st, 2013 at 05:58 AM.
Old April 30th, 2013, 08:53 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

I purchased the Marvel Unlimited online deal last summer so I have been reading through different older stuff from time to time.

The last month or so I have been tearing through all the Marvel Cosmic related titles in their proper order, at least all the ones they actually have available. It does get kind of frustrating when they suddenly don't have a few issues up online, especially when they then have more issues up from that line that are later in the series. You would think they would at least do them in order. I did really enjoy most of it, it is also interesting to see how the different artists draw some of the same characters. I'm not good with names so I couldn't tell you which ones I liked the most but their are definitely some artist that are way better then other ones.

I also just read through the first 5 issues of, I think it was called Extreme X-men where dazzler is traveling through multiple alternate dimensions/realities with a General Logan, a kid genius Nightcrawler, and an Xavier head in a bottle (all from different realities. I saw the cover of one issue where they were in the old west and it intrigued me, but I can't say I really liked it too much. Don't think I will keep up with it.
Old May 1st, 2013, 01:21 AM
Nom Nom Nom ...

Red Eyed Jedi is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Red Eyed Jedi is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Red Eyed Jedi is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Red Eyed Jedi is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Red Eyed Jedi is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Red Eyed Jedi is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Red Eyed Jedi is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Red Eyed Jedi is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Red Eyed Jedi is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

My pull stack consists of: Invincible, Invincible Universe, The Walking Dead, Saga, Jupiter's Children, Wolverine, Savage Wolverine, Wolverine Max, and Morning Glory's in TPB. With Super Crooks and Secret Service finishing their runs.

I'd like to note Jupiter's Children, by Mark Millar, and Frank Quitely who are both great. Looks to be really neat.
It's about the past and"best" generation of Super Hero's (kinda like how the WW2 generation has been described as the best) are getting older and looking to pass the torch too the next generation of Hero's. Their children, who are slackers, greedy and other such things mainly. The First issue is out now on the stands.

Savage Wolverine is another one I'm digging alot. Frank Cho is back drawing Shanna. She and Wolverine are in the Savage Land. Lots of action, just a fun one to read.

C3G team building links.
Old May 1st, 2013, 10:06 AM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Great thread idea, TB!

My current monthlies are Invincible, The Walking Dead, and Masters of the Universe. I have every intention of getting Invincible Universe on my pull list next weekend as well. I read all of the Guardians of the Globe series that is being morphed into IU.

I also just picked up volume 4 of Morning Glories, but haven't had a chance to read it yet.

I'm such an Image guy these days ....

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old May 5th, 2013, 08:39 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

I read 8 or 9 issues of the Scarlet Spider, where he is in Huston. I liked the character itself quite a bit, but the comic overall was a little weak. Was walking though Walmart today and they had the Walking Dead compendium 1 & 2 sitting on a shelf. It was marked down from $60 to just $40, so I bought the first one and started reading it today. Since it is all packaged together as one, the issues just flow together without any obvious breaks at all so I made it up to the end of book 1 already. Not sure what that translates to issue number.
Old May 5th, 2013, 09:27 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Before this weekend I think the last thing I bought was Batman: The long Halloween TPB but since we have moved to somewhere that actually has comic book stores we took our 5.5 year old to Free Comic Book Day yesterday...First time I had ever been in a comic store BTW...it was a nice place and even my wife enjoyed it. After we got our free ones (She even found a couple she wanted) we let him look around in the kid friendly area and he picked up an Ultimate Spider-man and Earths Mightiest Heroes. One of ht employees suggested a Tiny Titans Book which has turned out to be a big hit with the family.

The cover of a Teen Titans trade caught his attention since the cover art looked straight from the Young Justice TV series so we picked up Teen Titans - A Kid's Game which is issue #1-7 I believe. I will preview it this week and if it is appropriate we will start reading it next weekend. He flipped through the pages during the car ride home and seemed to be happy with the art and all the Beast Boy scenes so it should be a hit. I hope it's good.

As you can probably tell I don't get a lot of personal reading...it's all about the little guy these days but it's fun.

hopefully all these new books for him will keep him from trying to get to my Batman and Wolverine books that he's not old enough for yet.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old May 5th, 2013, 09:48 PM
Archie

Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth

I'm on the Green Lantern boat right now. I loved Sinestro Corps War and got Agent Orange and War of the Green Lanterns (both were good). Rage of the Red Lanterns, now that was fantastic. Sinestro is painted as such a convincing character and delightful villain.

I'm hoping to get Blackest Night for my birthday, although DC packaged it weird in the graphic novels. After reading that I'll go backwards in time and pick up Geoff Johns earlier reads. I haven't tried any Marvel graphic novels, so I might look into that too. I don't know too much of the Marvel universe outside of the movies. I'll stick to the Walking Dead tv series; those collections are a bit pricy (though the price per page is quite good) and I'd rather spend my reading money elsewhere.
Old May 5th, 2013, 10:25 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Blackest Night is excellent stuff. That and Sinestro War is the best of the bunch when it comes to GL stuff, IMO.

Brightest Day is completely missable, though. Don't let the end of Blackest Night convince you otherwise.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Comics