Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Comics
Comics Not Heroscape or Marvel Heroscape.

Old February 22nd, 2011, 08:17 AM
wants to have Anne Hathaway's babies

Schulzy rolls all skulls baby! Schulzy rolls all skulls baby! Schulzy rolls all skulls baby! Schulzy rolls all skulls baby! Schulzy rolls all skulls baby!
Re: The best Superheroes are...

Not just super heroes, but any story about a hero needs a proper villain. Luke Skywalker has Darth Vader, Indiana Jones has the Nazis, Frodo has Sauron, Simba has Scar. So on and so forth.

If you have a great hero, you need to compliment him with an even greater villain. Otherwise you get Superman, whom I notice isn't on you list, Aldin. Know why? Because Lex Luthor isn't all that cool.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 08:43 AM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post
Well met!

Yet, Spiderman's villains are not awe-inspiring. Good stories with conflicts and issues with which we all can identify, and how well those are played out (or who is cast ) are more important in the long run than how flashy the villain is. If the villain is that good, he should get his own book (see Dr. Doom ).

Why are origin stories so popular? Because they are about the Superhero in the process of becoming a Superhero. We can all see ourselves as being somewhere on that path (however early ). The next most popular might be the Superhero losing his faith in himself and/or humanity (and regaining it). Who among us has never been there?

There is an odd dichotomy in the Superhero. He must be invincible and vulnerable at the same time, a very hard trick to pull off. Superman may be the most powerful Superhero, but he is very far from being the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
Doom isn't interesting?
No. I thought he had his own book for a while. Or it might have been that he took over one of those anthology titles for an extended period of time. Anyways, he deserves his own book.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 09:39 AM

Grey_Alien is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

-
Old February 22nd, 2011, 03:30 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

And we have...Wizards of the Coast. Now that's a villain!
Old February 22nd, 2011, 04:26 PM

Elginb has disabled reputation

Put me in the camp that finds Doom interesting, though it depends on who's writing him-- his arrogance is all about a deep-seeded need for validation. He can sometimes be a tragic figure, especially when it involves trying to recover his mother's soul from Hell. And what's more, he's a man who came from 3rd world poverty and, not only took over his country, but has managed to be the most powerful person in the world, galaxy, universe at one point or another-- a true self-made man. Though the coolest thing about him is that he always seems to have a chance to win (and then give it all away from boredom).

That being said, I'm not sure I completely buy into the premise of the opening post. Spider-man is cool because he could be any of us, and the first 100 issues of Spider-man are cool not because of his Dick Tracy type antagonists, but because he's constantly trying to juggle his job, his friends, romances and family. Dr. Octopus is cool, but Dr. Octopus marrying Aunt May? Awesome.

Last edited by Elginb; February 22nd, 2011 at 04:32 PM.
Old March 16th, 2011, 12:01 AM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Yeah, I'll join the dogpile on Aldin re: Doctor Doom. The aspect of the character I love the most is that he is a benevolent dictator. The people of Latveria truly love him and would give their lives for him, and he loves them in return, in his own way. He truly believes that his people are better off for being ruled with an iron fist and his people appreciate the order and world status they gain through their leader. The whole dynamic actually makes for a pretty nuanced view of autocracy, particularly for the superhero genre, which is not always known for "nuance."

Plus, he regularly travels to Hell to fight for the soul of his dead mother. How cool is that?
Old March 16th, 2011, 12:38 AM
has been BANNED

Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker

I like Squirrel Girl, a ridicluous character who is unbeatable.
Old March 25th, 2011, 12:13 PM
"Blame it on me" (was #3...)

Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
The less popular Supers have less interesting foes. Doom isn't very interesting as the F4's bad guy.
Aldin, always the jokester! Ha ha ha ha. I'll post a more detailed rssponse, but for now I'll leave you with two quick mentions aside from Doom, Galactus and Mole Man, both excellent and well known villians, heck it seems to me that the FF have two of the most influential villians not just in their conntinuity, but the whole Marvel and DC universes!

"Doom isn't very interesting" ha ha ha ha ha, best Aldin prank EVER!

Sweetcurse is Sujoah...

in the
Perth Keep...
Old May 15th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Assuming the Missionary Position

Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby!

I was just having this conversation yesterday as I was reading some Batman comics. I realized that I love the Batman comics, but as a character, I don't much care for Batman as he's usually arrogant and pompous and bossy (albeit, he's usually right to be this way) and he rubs me the wrong way frequently, but then it struck me that I keep reading because his villains are simply amazing (probably the best line-up in all of comicdom) and that's why I love his comics.

Drumline3469 is Doc Brown...
aboard <<<Oblivion>>> ...
Old April 23rd, 2012, 10:40 PM

SilentOwl is surprisingly tart

Deadpool... one reason why the X-Men are SOOO AWESOME! (Wait, he's a bad guy, right? x3 )
Old June 22nd, 2012, 12:18 PM

Eraguy816 rolls all skulls baby! Eraguy816 rolls all skulls baby! Eraguy816 rolls all skulls baby! Eraguy816 rolls all skulls baby!

1 Hulk
2 Thor
3 Captian A.
4 Iceman
5 Arc-angel

My Youtube Channel

Eraguy816 is

in the Epic Fairyland Cave
Old June 22nd, 2012, 12:33 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

*chuckle*

Ummm... hate to break it to you eraguy, but the thread isn't exactly a top ten list.

And to add some content...

I guess I have to at least acknowledge that there are a lot of folks who think Dr Doom is a great villain. Fair enough. Not my cup of tea, though.

~Aldin, thinking that Hulk and Deadpool are both the heroes and the villains of their own stories

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Comics