Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games
Other Games Board, Card, Video, etc.

Notices

Old July 5th, 2018, 10:20 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth
Re: Letters From the Front

Great read. Sounds like a hell of an adventure. Gotta love a good cursed sword.
I got a feeling it is going to get a lot worse.
Old July 6th, 2018, 01:03 AM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Great read. Sounds like a hell of an adventure. Gotta love a good cursed sword.
I got a feeling it is going to get a lot worse.
It was my co-DM's idea to give the party's only evil character a sword that altered his alignment, but it was my idea to make it so temptingly powerful (it gives him an extra use of his highest spell slot each day) that he couldn't just throw it away. Turns out it wasn't powerful enough to make him want to keep it- he tried to throw it away. It was probably a little rail-roady of me to encourage he keep it by making bad things happen to the natural world if he tossed it, so I compromised. The giant talking iguana who gifted him the sword has transformed into a regular iguana, and so long as the iguana is near him, the sword's alignment property is mitigated. This has resulted in a delightful series of one-sided conversations between a mighty warrior and a lizard:

Hidalgo, gesturing to the sword: "You did this to me on purpose, didn't you?"
Iguana: -nibbles moss-
Old July 6th, 2018, 08:19 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

That is awesome! Love the creativity.

The last long running campaign I co-dm'd, we were super stingy with magic items.
The party was very powerful without them and we did not want it to go Monty Hall.
However, one PC was particularly a problem, a Changeling Diabolist (they use rune and symbol magic) so we decided to give him a powerful magic dagger to try to 'persuade' him to lay off the magic. Unfortunately we only played one more game after that.
Old October 14th, 2018, 11:19 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

I haven't updated this in awhile, and I'd like to keep it more or less upt to date. Also, I'm secretly hoping that, by bumping this thread, we'll find out about @quozl and the campaign he was developing to play with his daughter.

Where we last left our characters:
Spoiler Alert!
The current dramatis personae:

Del ~ My character, a scoundrel half-elf wild mage sorcerer
Thraag ~ Gnome barbarian
Finn ~ Halfling monk
Sue ~ Human ranger

The massive froghemoth we defeated in that dark lake turned out to be the final ne'erdowell in that massive dungeon. We did a bit more exploring and rescued the captives, including Finn's and Keylee's clan. (Yaaaayyyyy!)

We led them all the way back to the surface, where we met a few wandering elves, who were part of a party that had been in the area. It turned out that their woodland sanctum was also under threat from the same wild, evil forces that seemed to be at work all over the eastern seaboard of Geroth. They told us about a powerful witch, in the mountains to the northwest, who might have information about what to do next.

We gave Keylee a significant amount of gold, including a significant gift for the Clasp in exchange for its support for us, and custody of the freed halflings. I cannot remember how we came to be persuaded to do this, but we decided to go looking for this mountain witch.

We battled our way through a few woodland encounters and made our way to her mountain lair.

WARNING:
I think my brother may be blending in some official licensed D&D campaign stuff now. I don't know whether it's an official campaign or where he got this stuff but I suspect it's from somewhere.

IF YOU THINK A MOUNTAIN WITCH WITH SOME KIND OF WEIRD SECRETS SOUNDS FAMILIAR to your campaign, then maybe don't read anymore. I don't want to spoil your campaign.

Anyway. We are now Level 7. I can polymorph.

You've been warned. Plot points incoming.

We found this cave witch, the name of whom I forget. She offered to do some stuff for us if we provided her a service. We had a couple of services available, one of which sounded like a lot of work, and one of which was that our gnome barbarian would *ahem* spend the evening with her.

Our barbarian, who is not the most enthusiastic of role players, was perfectly happy to sacrifice himself that way. I used my new spell to turn myself into a bug, once during the night, to crawl under the door and make sure she wasn't eating him or anything, but apparently all was ok. So my brother & the gnome barbarian had some private time, and then we all got back on the call and that was that. The next morning, Thraag made some passing comments about how the witch had said something like she'd planted a demon seed or something in her, and we moved on. (!!!???).

In exchange for Thraag's *ahem* service, the witch pointed us to Daggerford, far away on the west coast of Geroth, as the place to investigate next. Also, she provided Sue - our ranger, who kept losing his piggy animal companions - an Imp to be his companion next. What an upgrade!

We made our way down to Hong Zhou. Thanks to our generosity with the Clasp, we were offered access to some teleportation magic that would help get us to the Daggerford area, which otherwise we could not hope to reach for a long, long time.

Our teleportation magic took us near Daggerford but not directly to it. We had to battle & sneak our way to the town gate, which we ultimately did, where found a town in the midst of some unrest. Refugees were camped outside and could not enter; meanwhile, inside, the absentee lord had suffered a theft of some magical doodad.

All kinds of drama. We diplomacied our way through the gate and have been investigating the missing magical doodad, though (as far as I can recall) we were starting to feel like we'd hit a dead end with the investigating.

Things broke off temporarily because of other developments. . .

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old October 14th, 2018, 11:42 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

At around that point, my brother, bless his heart, was starting to wear thin on his patience with us nitwits. He needed a chance to be a player for awhile or we'd be done. So Dave, who plays our ranger, stepped up to DM. After a couple of weeks we learned that Dave would be running, for us, the official campaign Storm King's Thunder.

POSTS ABOUT DAVE'S CAMPAIGN WILL THEREFORE HAVE SPOILERS ABOUT STORM KING'S THUNDER. It's official content and I know what it is and it will be spoilered.

Here we go!

The Dramatis personae:
Sand ~ Me. A wood elf rogue, of the Scout subclass. A hardened CN criminal. I wanted to play a character who could not be bothered to rescue cats from trees. This is not a scoundrel with a heart of gold, like Del, Sand is one of the few survivors from a group of highwaymen, and he wants to both survive and to avenge his fallen brothers. He's the darkest character I've ever rolled. Looking forward to seeing where he goes. So far, imagine him as a borderline dark cowboy from a spaghetti western, who stumbled across the rest of the party, the members of which already had a history together.

Peanut ~ My brother's gnome cleric. Played as a bossy child prodigy. I can't remember her subclass. She's normally a pain but Sand has already learned to tune her out and have some big brotherly affection for her other times.

Nigel ~ Half orc two-weapon strength-based fighter, played by the guy who plays the halfling monk in my brother's campaign.

Owsley ~ Goliath barbarian. Played by the guy who plays the gnome barbarian in the other campaign. We're all having fun here. Don't judge us.

The other three had some kind of prior relationship. They met Sand one morning in a Daggerfell tavern, to work together on a job. Now, those of you who don't want to know about Storm King's Thunder, take a hike.

Spoiler Alert!

Meanwhile, we're going to put that campaign on hold and go back to the story of Del, Sorcerer, Adventurer, and Gentleman, and I look forward to opening that journal again and reading the next chapter this coming Tuesday evening.

Thanks for your interest, all, and keep your own stories coming! I just went through all these old posts with my brother, and we realized how much was in here that we'd just forgotten. Maybe some of you will do the same.

= =
Old October 15th, 2018, 12:33 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Dramatis personae

Quiella, gnome paladin/oracle (me)
Melufious, elf magus/rogue (roleplayed as a somewhat immature almost "teenaged" elf, which secretly drives me crazy)
Valik, human monk
Vailis, half-elf summoner
Zephyrus, elf alchemist (that specializes in making zombies via SCIENCE!)
Heccan, human sorcerer

For some background, Quiella is a *life* Oracle, which means she heals the rest of the party automagically every turn by taking some of their damage. She's kept the party up through many difficult encounters and frequently heals them up to 100% afterwards with great efficiency. She's also a badass (as far as Gnome Paladins go, at least) that can take a beating, is often hard to hit, and can put on some decent hurt with her greatsword and smite.

As we are about to step into the next room, we hear a bow string tighten and realize someone is waiting for us. We buff and enter the room. Mel, the elf rogue, is first through and gets instantly dropped by an arrow, which is unusual for PCs of our level, and it quickly becomes apparent that our ambushers are elf-hating drow with several stacking means of laying on the hurt against elves.

Quiella drags Mel out of the room and her life link brings him back to consciousness. "Don't die!" She tells him before going into the next room and joining the fight, where she tells the Drow they have one chance to surrender. They don't (of course) so she helps to lay them out. The alchemist was having trouble hit them with his bombs, the sorcerer was having trouble penetrating their spell resistance, and the monk doesn't hit very hard, so Quiella ended up doing most of the work, with an invisible Mel killing the last drow with a critical hit on an electrically charged rapier.

Before the drow went down, they said something cryptic about us being "too late to stop her." We were just here to explore an abandoned tower, so of course we have no idea what they're talking about and decide we need to interrogate the leader (the one that dropped Mel earlier).

And this is where things get tense (and really interesting). The half-elf summoner and elf magus are pissed and want to torture the drow, saying that they can't possibly do as much to the drow as the drow have done to elves in the past. Quiella, being a Paladin and a generally moral person, begs to differ. Feeling unsure of her companions, she draws her sword and moves to stand over the leader's body. As Quiella and the elves are arguing, Mel decides to solve part of the moral quandary, particularly regarding himself and the awful things he feels tempted to do, by murdering the female drow as she lays unconscious. Meanwhile, the elf alchemist is dispassionate and disinterested in historical racial enmity between the drow and the elves. But he does take advantage of Quiella being so preoccupied to slip the two corpses a little somethin'-somethin' so they can come back as zombies.

Just as the sorcerer is talking Quiella into letting him weaken the leader drow's saves and subsequently charm him, the elf summoner's eidolon (his big bad summon, so to speak) gets overly curious about the moaning coming from the next room and opens the door, revealing a shadow demon, a mandragora, and two incubi near a chained and beaten elf. They are not so happy to have company, so our interrogation is delayed!
I'll update; why not?

It's been a little while since we finished this up, but as I remember it:
we beat the various and sundry bad things that came out of the next room. We found a tortured elf there and he gave us some good context on what was going on. I don't remember the details, but I think it was he that explained a Drow priestess or somesuch was stealing some important texts.

We then woke the last living Drow prisoner we'd taken and our sorceror attempted to Charm him. Despite his powerful bonuses for charming, he failed the attempt and the Drow basically gave us the middle finger. We left him tied up and went after the priestess. We eventually caught up to her and had a pretty grueling fight against her and her minions. Multiple members of the party went down, including Mel, who actually *died*. Meanwhile, Quiella mostly ignored the minions and went straight after the boss-lady. As things deteriorated for the party behind her and the boss-lady surrounded herself in magical darkness through which Quiella's cursed eyes could not (yet) see, she turned around and helped free up the party from the minions. By that point, the summoner had an archon that could sniff the boss-lady out, someone cast Fly on Quiella so she could reach the boss-lady and smite her, and Quiella, following verbal instructions from the archon, managed to swing her sword in the right direction enough times to finish off the boss-lady.

Mel, now resurrected, is very penitent and particularly mindful of Quiella after feeling deep shame for letting her down before.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old November 16th, 2018, 04:34 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Back to my brother's campaign, in which we are a bunch of level 7 D&D 5E characters, generally trying to stem some massive rising evil, and specifically bumming around Daggerford.

Del ~ My character, a scoundrel half-elf wild mage sorcerer
Thraag ~ Gnome barbarian
Finn ~ Halfling monk
Sue ~ Human ranger

The back story:
Spoiler Alert!

Again, if the idea of a trip to Daggerford and a missing object d' art sounds familiar to you, and a mountain witch who might or might not have impregnated one of your PCs, then you might be in our campaign. I don't know what it is, so proceed at your own risk.

Spoiler Alert!

This was a wonderful, combat-intensive three sessions. I look forward to wrapping it up (I think) next time, after which we'll probably go back to Dave's campaign.

= =
Old November 16th, 2018, 08:12 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

I'm playing through my first ever RPG right now. A few guys from church and a few recruited through a FB group.

We're using RPoL (a play by post site), and we're playing the Pathfinder Adventure Path Rise of the Runelords.

Just getting through some opening rounds and killing some scrub-level goblins so far.
Old November 16th, 2018, 08:18 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Cool! My favorite podcast is a live-play Pathfinder campaign. It's called Glass Cannon; I'm sure many of our other friends already know it.

So, spill the beans. . . Tell us about your PC. . .

= =
Old November 16th, 2018, 08:21 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Cool! My favorite podcast is a live-play Pathfinder campaign. It's called Glass Cannon; I'm sure many of our other friends already know it.

So, spill the beans. . . Tell us about your PC. . .

Dwarf Barbarian, Ulfrid by name True Neutral, sullen, hates goblins, loves to drink. Still feeling out some of the rest of the details.
Old November 16th, 2018, 08:30 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Yes! Of course you are! I love that time, when you’re still discovering the personality of your character. Please tell us the story as you go.

Also I have the most fun when I’m making my character have his own personality and I’m also not taking the spotlight from anyone else. Have fun and report often. I’m looking forward to it!

= =
Old April 7th, 2020, 10:56 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Wow, has it been so long since anyone posted here?

Oh well. The thread was fun for a long time. I'll catch up Del's campaign (most of the past year was Sand's, which I'll just leave aside for the moment), because that's the current one. First, though, I have a question for the two or three people reading this post:

There is a Level 8 druid in my 5E party. I am suspicious that he doesn't really know what he's doing in combat, because he seems *really* ineffective. He's fond of the one-round invisibility to get separation and Erupting Earth. He will heal sometimes, when we desperately need it.

It feels like he's a second-rate healer and a second-rate damage dealer with third-rate battlefield control effects. I'm pretty sure he's capable of more (battlefield control? something?), but I am in constant fear that if I go down, we're pretty much sunk at any high level combat. So any advice I can pass on to a Level 8 5E druid would be welcome.

The dramatis personae:

Del: That's me! A Level 8, half-elf sorcerer. At your service.
Thraag: A mighty Level 8 gnome barbarian.
Aejeon: A mediocrely mighty Level 8 druid. (See above.)
Finn: A mighty Level 8 halfling monk.

The party went on a series of adventures in & around Daggerford, clearing out nests of orcs, gnolls, and (ultimately) demon-worshipers. Something is definitely up with demons in the area.

Anyway, Sue the mostly-useless ranger got killed in a town we liberated from orcs. It was there that, as a Level 7 Sorcerer with a powerful magic item, I began to feel the power of trivializing some encounters. Orcs in guard towers can shoot us? The Staff of Tides can put fog cloud on them. Problem solved. Party pushed against the wall, spread apart and injured? Polymorph the badly wounded monk into a Great Ape, capable of mauling any bad guy anywhere near him.

It was a long night of adventuring, though, clearing out that town, and eventually Sue fell. A room of casters and hard hitters was too much for us!

Soon thereafter we encountered Aejeon, a druid who wanted to help, and we did a few more area jobs. Something wicked was going on in the area, for sure. The point was driven home when we returned to Daggerford, after one long jaunt, and the Duke rolled out a fancy feast for us. With a huge reward of gold coins!

And then, lo and behold, a seductress we'd been keeping an eye on steps out from behind the curtain, and basically tells the duke to kill us. She gave Del a quick stab with a nasty dagger, and then the Duke took out a huge magic greatsword and hit Del 3 times in a row with it. Out go the lights! Without even getting to me on the initiative tracker! Not even getting a chance to put up Mage Armor!

Luckily, Aejeon threw a heal at me, and I recovered enough hit points to come awake & cast Polymorph on both the Duke and his mysterious femme fatale advisor. As a sorcerer, I could "twin" the spell, and hit both. And, luckily, they both failed their saves. In the place of the two big bad guys, we had two small turtles!

We worked with the trusted castle lieutenant to get them stashed safely in the cells below the dungeon. Del released the polymorph on the Duke, but instead of releasing it on the femme fatale, he cast Banish on her instead. After a minute, if she was native to the prime material plane, she would come back. But if you're from somewhere else - say, one of the planes of hell - and you've had Banish cast on you, you don't come back at all. Back to hell with you! And she did not return.

By now, we are all Level 8, as I said. And Del has received word from his old friend in the Clasp, Sybil, who has asked him to lead the party to White Plume Mountain, where we can head off some adventurers sponsored by the Myriad.

So we've now reached a swampy path that should take us to White Plume Mountain, where we'll probably all die. On our way, we just encountered a very nasty group of gnoll things, accompanied by massive magic snail creatures and a giant crocodile. I attempted to trivialize the encounter again, by using Control Water from the Staff of Tides. It lets me basically throw enormous waves in bodies of water, and we were in two feet of water. So I got to turn the environment against its inhabitants. I've whooshed away 4 of the 5 bad guys, with only the giant crocodile remaining.

Wish us luck! And please give me a tip for how an 8th level Druid can make himself useful, because so far it's just Erupting Earth and occasional heals!

Spoiler Alert!

= =

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games