Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old March 12th, 2007, 04:52 PM

philowar is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarkypants
It seems to me that Marcus + Greeks would be just as successful.
No, because the Greeks only have 3 defense whereas the Romans end up having 4.
Old March 13th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Sleeps with Monkeys

Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I have started a few other threads about no ranged games, we play them once in a while also, and we have always loved them, it is a great break form the regular game, or a variety of it.

The snakes really kick butt in a no range battle, but I think the zombies may be a good counter for them, not sure?
But it is a different mind set w/o range, try it out a few times is my best advice....

Heroscape - The Game I Have Waited My Whole Life For!
GenCon - a must for any true Scaper!
Old March 13th, 2007, 02:16 PM

TyrionXavier has disabled reputation
Ornak (100)
Ne Gok Sa (90)
Su Bak na (160)
Kee Mo Shi (130)
---
480 pts.
Add Marro Drones (or other marro units) if armies are larger.

Strategy: Leave Su-Bak-Na in the back till later in the game - you want the 20 sider bonus. Place most turn markers on Ornak, which enables you to move both NGS and KMS at the same time.

Has been away for quite a while. But is back now.
Old March 13th, 2007, 02:31 PM

yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby!
Philowar, how do samurai fare in your all melee battles? Too few in number to survive? I think it might be interesting to see how long a line of izumi and tagawa boosted by hatamoto would last against those romans...

EDIT: Heck, why not throw Realin in there for 390 points. SUPERCOUNTERSTRIKE!
Old March 13th, 2007, 05:14 PM

MrBarkypants Woo who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by philowar
Quote:
Not in a disiplined army, their stats are the same except that the Greeeks get it no matter where they are on the board. Advantage greeks on that one.

I'm Mr. Barkypants, and I'm a mix of ol schoo and new schoo....
Old March 13th, 2007, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Not in a disiplined army, their stats are the same except that the Greeeks get it no matter where they are on the board. Advantage greeks on that one.
The Greeks have a base 2 defense, 3 in an all-disciplined army. Romans have a base 2 defense, up to 4 when adjacent to two other Romans.

In melee slug-fests where the two sides are usually clashing head on, the Romans 4 defense consistently lets more of them survive than the Greeks' 3. We've played big 400 or 500 point Greeks & Parmenio vs. Romans & Marcus (we have tons of Greeks and Romans) countless times and the Romans shield wall defense of 4 in addition to Marcus' +1 movement and attack bonus is what always wins them the game. And certainly, Marcus' bonuses are a big advantage, moreso than Parmenio's defy death, but in my experience the 4 defense of the shield wall is what saves more Romans from dropping than Greeks, thereby letting them outlast their enemies. They Greeks have come somewhat close to winning from time to time, but never close enough.

Mind you, I do actually prefer the Greeks (in an all-disciplined army) over the Romans in a mixed range/melee game because of their ability to split up and maintain a decent defense, but in all-melee matches, 1st place would have to go to the Romans.
Old March 13th, 2007, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yagyuninja
Philowar, how do samurai fare in your all melee battles? Too few in number to survive? I think it might be interesting to see how long a line of izumi and tagawa boosted by hatamoto would last against those romans...

EDIT: Heck, why not throw Realin in there for 490 points. SUPERCOUNTERSTRIKE!

Well, you hit the nail on the head. The inexhaustible manpower of the Romans is what always wins them the game. Though potentially deadly, there simply aren't enough men in an all-samurai army to withstand the overwhelming numbers of the Romans. Romans attacking with Marcus' +1 attack bonus only makes matters worse. Raelin is undoubtedly helpful to the samurai, but she still wasn't enough when we tried it to win the samurais the game. Hatamoto we never had the chance to try, though my money would still have to go on the Romans.
Old March 13th, 2007, 09:45 PM

MrBarkypants Woo who?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The Greeks have a base 2 defense, 3 in an all-disciplined army. Romans have a base 2 defense, up to 4 when adjacent to two other Romans.

In melee slug-fests where the two sides are usually clashing head on, the Romans 4 defense consistently lets more of them survive than the Greeks' 3. We've played big 400 or 500 point Greeks & Parmenio vs. Romans & Marcus (we have tons of Greeks and Romans) countless times and the Romans shield wall defense of 4 in addition to Marcus' +1 movement and attack bonus is what always wins them the game. And certainly, Marcus' bonuses are a big advantage, moreso than Parmenio's defy death, but in my experience the 4 defense of the shield wall is what saves more Romans from dropping than Greeks, thereby letting them outlast their enemies. They Greeks have come somewhat close to winning from time to time, but never close enough.

Mind you, I do actually prefer the Greeks (in an all-disciplined army) over the Romans in a mixed range/melee game because of their ability to split up and maintain a decent defense, but in all-melee matches, 1st place would have to go to the Romans.
I forgot about the second +1 for the Romans in the middle. I use Marcus Flatulents with the Greeks, not Parweenio. I have never saved a Greek with Weenio yet. In fact the last time I used the Marc and Greek set-up Johnny Shotgun Took them all out in one round. That sucked soooo bad.

BTW, I only have 1 squad of Romans and only 2 of Greeks. I can see how a mass of romans with a bunch with the +2 defense would be great.

I'm Mr. Barkypants, and I'm a mix of ol schoo and new schoo....
Old March 16th, 2007, 10:44 AM

Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby!
Do you know what happens when you mess with Jotun?

7 hours ago we had an all melee 600point game. With my Blade Gruts and Grimnak I wiped out my gf's army. She conceded when Mcdirk was her only remaining figure. My casualties: 3 blade gruts.

Old March 16th, 2007, 08:35 PM
I have year old Heroscape news!

darkclown789 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by yagyuninja

EDIT: Heck, why not throw Realin in there for 490 points. SUPERCOUNTERSTRIKE!

Well, you hit the nail on the head. The inexhaustible manpower of the Romans is what always wins them the game. Though potentially deadly, there simply aren't enough men in an all-samurai army to withstand the overwhelming numbers of the Romans. Romans attacking with Marcus' +1 attack bonus only makes matters worse. Raelin is undoubtedly helpful to the samurai, but she still wasn't enough when we tried it to win the samurais the game. Hatamoto we never had the chance to try, though my money would still have to go on the Romans.
Shield Wall + Awesome leader = the 300 Spartans! Now all you need is a narrow crack in between some mountains as a map...

Darkclown

"I don't suffer from insanity I enjoy every minute of it." --Unknown
Old March 16th, 2007, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly-Caco
Do you know what happens when you mess with Jotun?

7 hours ago we had an all melee 600point game. With my Blade Gruts and Grimnak I wiped out my gf's army. She conceded when Mcdirk was her only remaining figure. My casualties: 3 blade gruts.
Man, that's an awesome animation! Great work.
Old March 16th, 2007, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkclown789
Shield Wall + Awesome leader = the 300 Spartans! Now all you need is a narrow crack in between some mountains as a map...
Though they're not Spartans, Romans piled up in a narrow pass is something you don't want to fight with an all-melee army in Heroscape!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion