Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old June 11th, 2010, 10:29 AM

VendettaUF Woo who?
Heroscape Card Sleeves

Hi!

I'm new to Heroscape, so I was a little surprised to see the funky shape of the cards that came with the game. I can be a little OCD and like to sleeve my game cards, so I was worried I wouldn't be able to find anything. To my glee, I found the HouseMouseGames sleeves....but the 6.95 for 20 was a bit of a sticker shock to me. So I tried to find something else. On ebay there is a seller "abhill_usaor" who sells 4mil sleeves. Here is a sample auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...d=567370885002

$14 for 100 was a little more affordable so I gave it a try. Now I'm glad I only purchased 100 instead of the larger lot I was planning. I don't want to slam the seller too much, as their service was pretty good. But, I feel they are grossly misrepresenting this product. Like many things sold on ebay as Heroscape card sleeves, I'm pretty confident these were manufactured to be CD/DVD sleeves. There is a seem at the bottom of each sleeve and additional plastic as if to reinforce the bottom, something I've never seen on card sleeves before, but I could see being required for something heavier (like a CD). They are also extremely loose. The cards fly right out of them with very minor use.

All in all, these sleeves are completely non-functional to use with Heroscape cards. I decided to just not give them feedback rather then negative since their service was good, but I just dislike their product. Instead I decided to leave a cautionary tale here so others do not get bitten. If anyone knows of more affordable and functional card sleeves for heroscape, please reply to this thread. My requirements are:

1) Fits the card snuggly completely covering the card, excess plastic is ok.
2) Card stays in sleeve and does not move around inside the sleeve or falls out

Thanks!
Old June 11th, 2010, 10:46 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth
Re: Heroscape Card Sleeves

Other than HousMouseGames ones, CD sleeves are your best bet. I suggest going to a CompUSA or an office store and seeing if you can try some as I bought some that work but do not know what brand they were (unless "made in China" is a brand). Maybe others will give better suggestions shortly.

Welcome to the game and the site!
Old June 11th, 2010, 11:01 AM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

Sleeve City aka Sleeve Town, 6th one down, 100 for $3.99

http://www.sleevetown.com/plastic-cd-sleeves.shtml

A must read for all 'Scapers!

Last edited by R˙chean; June 11th, 2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old June 11th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VendettaUF View Post
...But, I feel they are grossly misrepresenting this product. Like many things sold on ebay as Heroscape card sleeves, I'm pretty confident these were manufactured to be CD/DVD sleeves....
I'm 99.99% positive that anything sold as Heroscape sleeves are primarily CD/DVD sleeves.
Old June 11th, 2010, 02:14 PM

Sokol knows what's in an order marker Sokol knows what's in an order marker

I have been buying Memorex Keepers for CDs/DVDs to store my cards. They come in 50-packs and 100-packs and in colors and clear. Locally, I can only buy colors and only 50 per pack, but they are reasonably priced at $4.24 at local Meijer stores. Officemax and Staples sell them for around $10-$11 for a 50-pack.

Advantages: they very snuggly fit the cards and they are relatively thick plastic. Colors also means I can sort my cards by army.

Disadvantages: there is a flap and a seam across the back of the sleeve that adds thickness to the card towards the top of the sleeve. Not noticeable if you only are carrying a few cards, but when you have several hundred they sit kind of funny in a stack. The seam also means that the card isn't water tight. If you had the card on a table and spilled a drink, there is a good possibility the card would get at least a little wet. Also, the colored sleeves are pretty darkly tinted so that it makes it a little harder to read the text on the card. Also, there are only 5 colors, but 6 generals, so I had to double up on one color. Also, I decided to place my glyph cards, indestructible object cards, etc. into the sleeves which means even more doubling up.

Overall - and despite my lengthy review of the disadvantages - I am very pleased with Memorex Keepers.

Hope this helps.

One Game to rule them all, One Game to find them,
One Game to bring them all and in their wallets bind them
In the Land of Valhalla where the Valkyrie lie.
Old June 11th, 2010, 02:48 PM

VendettaUF Woo who?

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll try a couple of these and see what works the best.
Old June 11th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Speculation has proven that I don't understand one of those two words

Pickledpie knows what's in an order marker Pickledpie knows what's in an order marker

I recall HouseMouse shipping me some free card sleeves with my Wave 9 order... that was nice, and they quite often have sales/promos like that, so if you run out of options you could wait for one of those to show up again.
Old June 11th, 2010, 03:12 PM

CanScape has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by R˙chean View Post

These are the ones I went with...they work ok, they sure are cost effective but they're a bit flawed. I could only really use half of the sleeves because they're not all identical. Whatever process they use to make them, every other one is a hair wider than the next.

What happens is that the cards will 'sit' properly in one, but they have to be tilted in the sleeve to fit inside the other. All five packages of sleeves had this problem. After I went through them, I tried to finesse the cards so that they were level, without too much pressure. Some did fit, so that worked ok. Right now I'm using the glyph and object cards 'angled', and saving the proper fits for the characters.

Even though they're not perfect, they're still a great deal....which is why I'll buy them again (after the next wave!).
Old June 11th, 2010, 05:19 PM

odbo255 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanScape View Post
Quote:

These are the ones I went with...they work ok, they sure are cost effective but they're a bit flawed. I could only really use half of the sleeves because they're not all identical. Whatever process they use to make them, every other one is a hair wider than the next.

What happens is that the cards will 'sit' properly in one, but they have to be tilted in the sleeve to fit inside the other. All five packages of sleeves had this problem. After I went through them, I tried to finesse the cards so that they were level, without too much pressure. Some did fit, so that worked ok. Right now I'm using the glyph and object cards 'angled', and saving the proper fits for the characters.

Even though they're not perfect, they're still a great deal....which is why I'll buy them again (after the next wave!).
I've ordered several times, a couple hundred sleeves each time. I've not had the same QA issues, maybe I'm lucky.

Items for trade
Heroscape lives on: 3FG C3G C3V CHCG24 CMSP NM24 SoV
Tournament Maps: BoV WoV
Old June 11th, 2010, 05:25 PM

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

I started using them through that site...way back when. The quality of that particular product changed. At some point, they got a new supplier or something. The newer ones are slightly smaller than the ones I already had; I ended up replacing all of mine with the newer so they would be the same size.

There is more inconsistency with the newer version and I have had a couple per pack that were unusable.

Old June 11th, 2010, 05:29 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Quote:
I started using them through that site...way back when. The quality of that particular product changed. At some point, they got a new supplier or something. The newer ones are slightly smaller than the ones I already had; I ended up replacing all of mine with the newer so they would be the same size.

There is more inconsistency with the newer version and I have had a couple per pack that were unusable.
Quote:
R˙chean
Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer
Old June 11th, 2010, 05:33 PM

Yeah, that title was not an accident. OCD me!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion