Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old April 27th, 2011, 11:18 PM

The Deadliest Warrior knows what's in an order marker The Deadliest Warrior knows what's in an order marker
Vietnam War buffs?

Is anyone on the site a history nerd, more specifically one on the Vietnam War? I have huge issues with my obsession over the American conflict there *twitch* and it'd be fun to talk to someone who also is an *expert* on the 'Nam.

From the Tet Offensive to the My Lai Massacre, come here if you want to talk about, or learn more about the Vietnam War.

'My dog's got no nose.'
"How does it smell?"
'Terrible.'
Old April 27th, 2011, 11:24 PM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Vietnam War buffs?

My dad is Vietnamese. I don't know all of the details of the Vietnam War (despite being a history buff), though I could provide you with some background information on it.

~Rednax

Last edited by rednax; April 27th, 2011 at 11:39 PM.
Old April 27th, 2011, 11:25 PM

The Deadliest Warrior knows what's in an order marker The Deadliest Warrior knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednax View Post
My dad is Vietnamese. I don't know all of the details of the Vietnam War (despite being a history buff), though U could provide you with some background information on it.

~Rednax
I'm sorry?

'My dog's got no nose.'
"How does it smell?"
'Terrible.'
Old April 27th, 2011, 11:38 PM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadliest Warrior View Post
Quote:
My dad is Vietnamese. I don't know all of the details of the Vietnam War (despite being a history buff), though U could provide you with some background information on it.

~Rednax
I'm sorry?
That should be I. Sorry for the confusion.

~Rednax
Old April 27th, 2011, 11:39 PM

Really? What sort of stuff do you know about the war?

May I ask if your father participated in the war?

'My dog's got no nose.'
"How does it smell?"
'Terrible.'
Old April 27th, 2011, 11:51 PM

I wrote a speech for my public speaking class about the North Vietnamese general, Vo Nguyen Giap. Would you guys be interested if I put it here?

'My dog's got no nose.'
"How does it smell?"
'Terrible.'
Old April 27th, 2011, 11:54 PM
Runa's favorite Minion

Quote:

If you count fleeing to America, then yes.

To be honest, I don't know as much as I should, mainly because my father's family has never been one to tell stories.

Here's what I know (off the top of my head):

Grandfather was in the army (pretty sure).
All they pretty much brought to America was a picture of my grandfather.
Before they boarded the boat, there was some confusion because one family wished to bring guns on the boat. The boat couldn't wait, so it left without the people who wanted to bring the guns . . . And my fathers cousin.
Father's family got on a boat to Guam where they stayed a couple months.
First cousin once removed born there.
Took a plane to California, got relocated to Arkansas, and then eventually to Michigan.

If you have any questions, I could try to ask my dad.

~Rednax

Last edited by rednax; April 27th, 2011 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Actually, "teach" does not have the same words as "cheat". They have the same letters.
Old April 27th, 2011, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Quote:

If you count fleeing to America, then yes.

To be honest, I don't know as much as I should, mainly because my father's family has never been one to tell stories.

Here's what I know (off the top of my head):

Grandfather was in the army (pretty sure).
All they pretty much brought to America was a picture of my grandfather.
Before they boarded the boat, there was some confusion because one family wished to bring guns on the boat. The boat couldn't wait, so it left without the people who wanted to bring the guns . . . And my fathers cousin.
Father's family got on a boat to Guam where they stayed a couple months.
First cousin once removed born there.
Took a plane to California, got relocated to Arkansas, and then eventually to Michigan.

If you have any questions, I could try to ask my dad.

~Rednax
Oh, so he was never actually in combat...

Yeah, even though the Communists had the majority of the common peasants in their favor, when the capital, Saigon, fell, thousands of people fled in terror of what the Communists might do to them. When the Communists captured Hue seven years earlier they massacred people who were prominent anti-Commnist figures in the city. People probably didn't want that happening to them now that they had lost the war.

'My dog's got no nose.'
"How does it smell?"
'Terrible.'
Old April 28th, 2011, 12:00 AM
Runa's favorite Minion

Well, he wasn't even ten at the time, so it would be hard for him to be in combat.

~Rednax
Old April 28th, 2011, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Well, he wasn't even ten at the time, so it would be hard for him to be in combat.

~Rednax
That would make sense. One of my classmates has an uncle and a father who were in the ARVN (South Vietnamese Army). He says his uncle was forced to join the NVA (North Vietnamese Army) but his father escaped to America with his mother. I haven't really asked him about much because I don't want to bring up something sensitive with him.

'My dog's got no nose.'
"How does it smell?"
'Terrible.'
Old April 29th, 2011, 07:41 PM

Wonderball68 knows what's in an order marker Wonderball68 knows what's in an order marker Wonderball68 knows what's in an order marker

I am by no means a vietnam war buff, but in Social Studies we have been studying the human pyschology of cruelty/inhumanity towards others after learning about WWII, the Nazis, and watching Schindler's List. We started out by looking at the Milgram experiment (VERY interesting, google it or I can post a vid if you want), the Stanford Prison experiment, and finally watched a video on the massacre at Mi-Lai. Very intense and very sad seeing the footage and interviews with the men of Charlie co.
Old April 30th, 2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderball68 View Post
I am by no means a vietnam war buff, but in Social Studies we have been studying the human pyschology of cruelty/inhumanity towards others after learning about WWII, the Nazis, and watching Schindler's List. We started out by looking at the Milgram experiment (VERY interesting, google it or I can post a vid if you want), the Stanford Prison experiment, and finally watched a video on the massacre at Mi-Lai. Very intense and very sad seeing the footage and interviews with the men of Charlie co.
Yeah, the My Lai Massacre came on the heels of Public Relations nightmares like the Tet Offensive and other similar events like the revealing of the Pentagon Papers dropped support for the war and forced Nixon to call about the Paris Peace Accords, ending the war.

Did the video talk about the way U.S. POW's were treated in North Vietnamese prison camps like the Hanoi Hilton or the Zoo?

'My dog's got no nose.'
"How does it smell?"
'Terrible.'

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General