Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

View Poll Results: Which Hivelord is better?
Su-Bak-Na 22 35.48%
Tor-Kul-Na 40 64.52%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 29th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth
Unit Debate #22 -- Su-Bak-Na Vs. Tor-Kul-Na

Two of the Hivelords are having boarding house issues....

Which Hivelord, Su-Bak-Na, or Tor-Kul-Na, is the best?

1. Stats/Special Powers

2. Playability

3. Overall Usefulness

4. Who Would Win Head-To-Head

5. Army Builds

6. Best Strategic Use

7. Situational Usefulness

Next week:
Spoiler Alert!

MegaSilver
Old September 29th, 2009, 10:08 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth
Re: Unit Debate #22 -- Su-Bak-Na Vs. Tor-Kul-Na

SBN, that +1 on the D20 always seems to play a big role.

-insert signature here-
Old September 29th, 2009, 10:12 AM

Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Two hive lords, Two different functions

SKN is more a cheer leader with that +1 d20 roll buff that comes in handy for a number of Marro. He makes a decent clean up unit with flying and a heavy attack, just a wee bit fragile.

TKN is more like main battle tank. His stats abilities are such that you throw him into combat and see how much damage he can do.

"I wish my iPad would stop trying to autocorrect all the heroscape names for me."

Good Trades I have had.

Collection Guide for Recommended Quantities.
Old September 29th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Tor-Kul-Na is a stomping good time. SBN has never been very useful in the size of games that I usually play. Maybe up in the 800+ range he could be good, but he's got Raelin-style defense at twice the cost!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old September 29th, 2009, 12:03 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

I think SBN is slightly underrated. (EDIT: after reading this thread, I no longer think that!) He was given a boost with the arrival of the nagrubs, and another with the arrival of the dividers. His d20 bonus is a good one (I argued it's worth about 30 points on its own in a SBN/grubs/divider army) and he is very good in the late game against opposing cheerleaders and cleanup heroes.

All of that said... he doesn't hold a candle to TKN. He's up there with Nilfheim and Q9 in terms of figures that are comfortable facing down both heroes and squads. His only real weakness is that the layout of the map can make trample stomp difficult to use. Yes, 220 points is a lot, but he's well worth it.

Last edited by dok; September 30th, 2009 at 09:44 AM.
Old September 29th, 2009, 12:35 PM

Elginb has disabled reputation

I hate to vote against Su-Bak-Na-- he's cheaper, gives a boost to any number of Marro or Marrden units, and can fly (all great attributes in my book)-- but Tor-Kul-Na's one trick is pretty darn good, and his greater survivability is enough to edge out the bone dragon.
Old September 29th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Battle Reporter

A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness

It's really hard to compare these two, with such a vast difference in cost. Sure TBN is better, but is he 60 points better?

Actually probably.
I love SBN, he is my favorite figure, but I'd have to concede that TBN is more useful, in virtually all ways. Having said that, I am more likely to take TBN on his own, with maybe a set or two of nagrubs, but not necessarily any other Marro.

With SBN, it is likely that I am building and army of Drones, Dividers or Stingers and have full intentions of leaving at least 160 for SBN to boost them (and probably another 30 or 60 fo nagrubs).

Last edited by A_Train; September 29th, 2009 at 02:27 PM.
Old September 29th, 2009, 01:25 PM

Lucas the beast is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

I voted Su-Bak-Na he just seems to help out all the Marro so much because the +1 has always played a roll in the games I've used him. However he is a bit fragile. If you want a tank go Tor-Kul-na if you want synergy go Su-Bak-na. Either way always draft Nagrubs with these guys. It would have been better if you compared Wo-Sa-Ga and Su-Bak-Na closer in cost

-Lucas
Old September 29th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Chilly Fangirl

ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Had to vote SBN. In a 500 point game, TBR is really going to eat up your points, and his ability doesn't work well unless you can have him stay on flat ground, which usually means that range will take him out. SBN can fly, has a beastly attack, and adds 1+ to rolls; his only weakness is his defense. That can be solved for the most part by the nagrubs, who he can bond with and live longer with. It's close, but I think that SBN would pull through in the end.
Old September 29th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Wrecker of Wednesdays

clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Stompy is just so much fun to play. Stepping on people is fun, and he's got a killer amount of attack dice to throw at those pesky hero's.

SBN can be usefull, but mostly he stands in the back while the rest of the army does the job.

Its really hard to compare the 2 directly because, as said, they preform different roles in an army.

I voted stompy, because I have more fun with him.

Imagine the fun you'd have if you could fit both into a build, an enhanced stomp would be even more fun!

73 tournaments. 175 - 145 - 1 overall record. 6 tournament wins.
Old September 29th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Battle Reporter

A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancampbell View Post

Imagine the fun you'd have if you could fit both into a build, an enhanced stomp would be even more fun!
Tor Kul Na
Su Bak Na
Wo Sa Ga
Nagrubs x 6
695 points

Its a heck of a lot of fun, especially if you play against a hero heavy army. It sucks to play it against a mass of range squads (especially if the masses are 4th Masses.)
Old September 29th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Ruler of the Damned

Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun

This one was almost flip a coin:

SBN:
Pro:
  • helps out 20D rolls for marro
  • high attack
  • flies
Con:
  • glass jaw - that 3 defense and 5 life just never seems to be enough
  • usually relegated to a cheerleader role

TKN
Pro:
  • stompy stompy stompy
  • good defense and 6 life
Con:
  • Cost 60 points more (i.e., one less squad of stingers)
  • no fly = harder to move on battlefield

I went with TKN

Last edited by Retlaw; September 30th, 2009 at 08:26 AM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units