Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs
AotV Customs A place for Arena of the Valkyrie Customs

Old May 13th, 2020, 09:27 PM

Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby!
Re: [Pod 2] Sorin of the Eternal Thirst

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
There's also a lot of outside-the-norm movement already happening.

Paralyzing Stare 13
After moving and before attacking, choose any small or medium figure adjacent to Vlad III. Roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 13 or higher, the defending figure cannot roll defense dice if attacked by Vlad III this turn.

Gore
If Vlad III inflicts one or more wounds on a Unique Hero with a normal attack, you must place 1 additional wound marker on the defending figure's Army Card.

Ruthless Warlord
Once per Round, when a Squad figure you control who follows Utgar misses a normal attack roll within 8 clear sight spaces of Vlad Tepes Dracula, you may choose to immediately destroy that Squad figure. If you do, all other figures you control who follow Utgar may add +1 to their attack dice for the remainder of the Round.

My favorite ideas so far. And something like a 5L, 5M, 1R, 3/4A, 3/4D stat line. PS is a nice reusable power to give him some punch. Same with Gore, which I may be in favor of renaming Cruelty for the theme. RW is a nice thematic cheerleader power, and if the Phoenixes ended up in Utgar with some kind of rebirth power, that could be fun synergy (alternatively drop the general restriction.
If we're not making him supernatural, i'm not sure how paralyzing stare can be explained...? Since Vlad isn't using any mental/hypnotic powers, I don't feel it's thematic to a historical figure. (Unless we're going in the vampire direction, which I don't think the majority are in favor of)

While Gore feels a little more thematic, with only a 5 movement and 3/4 attack, I don't see it being utilized all too often. Mebbe 2-3 times a game, tops...?

Whereas "Ruthless Warlord" and/or Terrifying Presence/Cruelty make more sense to me. (I kinda like the Terrifying Presence latest version, where Squad figures move away from him. Seems accurate for such a cruel historical human)

"Our mother has been absent ever since we founded Rome; but there's gonna be a party when the wolf comes home."
Old May 13th, 2020, 09:31 PM
3 GIFs in a Trenchcoat

Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
There's also a lot of outside-the-norm movement already happening.

Paralyzing Stare 13
After moving and before attacking, choose any small or medium figure adjacent to Vlad III. Roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 13 or higher, the defending figure cannot roll defense dice if attacked by Vlad III this turn.

Gore
If Vlad III inflicts one or more wounds on a Unique Hero with a normal attack, you must place 1 additional wound marker on the defending figure's Army Card.

Ruthless Warlord
Once per Round, when a Squad figure you control who follows Utgar misses a normal attack roll within 8 clear sight spaces of Vlad Tepes Dracula, you may choose to immediately destroy that Squad figure. If you do, all other figures you control who follow Utgar may add +1 to their attack dice for the remainder of the Round.

My favorite ideas so far. And something like a 5L, 5M, 1R, 3/4A, 3/4D stat line. PS is a nice reusable power to give him some punch. Same with Gore, which I may be in favor of renaming Cruelty for the theme. RW is a nice thematic cheerleader power, and if the Phoenixes ended up in Utgar with some kind of rebirth power, that could be fun synergy (alternatively drop the general restriction.
If we're not making him supernatural, i'm not sure how paralyzing stare can be explained...? Since Vlad isn't using any mental/hypnotic powers, I don't feel it's thematic to a historical figure. (Unless we're going in the vampire direction, which I don't think the majority are in favor of)

While Gore feels a little more thematic, with only a 5 movement and 3/4 attack, I don't see it being utilized all too often. Mebbe 2-3 times a game, tops...?

Whereas "Ruthless Warlord" and/or Terrifying Presence/Cruelty make more sense to me. (I kinda like the Terrifying Presence latest version, where Squad figures move away from him. Seems accurate for such a cruel historical human)
Think the paralyzing stare there is to represent the fear that enemies felt (especially in his impalement fields).

"They are too numerous to fight. What shall we do?" "Fight anyway."

"You can never defeat another if you know not how to defeat yourself."
my tradelist
Old May 13th, 2020, 09:49 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Right. It could probably also use a rename, and it works just fine.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old May 13th, 2020, 11:24 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Probably gonna be a hard from me on the current version of Ruthless Warlord. Stingers, Rats, etc don’t need a cheap Taelord.

Maybe if the power was only a 1-turn buff I can see it being less of a problem.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old May 13th, 2020, 11:43 PM
3 GIFs in a Trenchcoat

Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
Probably gonna be a hard from me on the current version of Ruthless Warlord. Stingers, Rats, etc don’t need a cheap Taelord.

Maybe if the power was only a 1-turn buff I can see it being less of a problem.
Yeah, its why I said once per round with my version. Makes it easier to track too.

my tradelist

Last edited by Heroscaper Guy; May 13th, 2020 at 11:54 PM. Reason: I do think the par and gore are good combined with a once per round version
Old May 14th, 2020, 01:24 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:

Paralyzing Stare is from Me-Burq-Sa (simply adjusted to match Vlad's range). Here's an excerpt from the official bio:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Book of Me-Burq-Sa
...Me-Burq-Sa carries a powerful plasma blaster at his side, although with his presence and daunting stare, he almost has no need for it. His stare is so powerful that sometimes his enemies cannot even muster the strength to defend themselves against his relentless attack.
Thematically, I think that it's a great fit for a historical take on Vlad, who inspired such fear in his opponents that some turned tail and ran. No supernatural explanation is needed if you guys want to go that route.

As for Gore, I think that it'll actually come up almost alarmingly often with Paralyzing Stare. Depending on the roll cutoff, approximately 50% of Vlad's rolls would ignore defense dice outright, and with 3 attack, you only have a 12.5% chance of not dealing at least 2 wounds. It can be absolutely devastating to heroes. Being limited to 5 move and a single attack helps keep him in check a bit, though you could always push for a more expensive design above 100 points if it feels too underwhelming.

Quote:
Ruthless Warlord
This power concerns me greatly. Utgar has a huge number of units, and letting any of them trigger an unlimited attack boost for the round is crazy. Say, for example, that you have a squad of rats. After spending OM1 on them (used mostly for positioning the screen, but 4 attacks of 1 die each leaves very good odds for at least one missing), the rest of your army gets a huge attack boost. Sacrificing a 10 point rat to achieve this is an easy choice.
Old May 14th, 2020, 03:38 PM

Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
Quote:

Paralyzing Stare is from Me-Burq-Sa (simply adjusted to match Vlad's range). Here's an excerpt from the official bio:
Quote:
...Me-Burq-Sa carries a powerful plasma blaster at his side, although with his presence and daunting stare, he almost has no need for it. His stare is so powerful that sometimes his enemies cannot even muster the strength to defend themselves against his relentless attack.
Thematically, I think that it's a great fit for a historical take on Vlad, who inspired such fear in his opponents that some turned tail and ran. No supernatural explanation is needed if you guys want to go that route.

As for Gore, I think that it'll actually come up almost alarmingly often with Paralyzing Stare. Depending on the roll cutoff, approximately 50% of Vlad's rolls would ignore defense dice outright, and with 3 attack, you only have a 12.5% chance of not dealing at least 2 wounds. It can be absolutely devastating to heroes. Being limited to 5 move and a single attack helps keep him in check a bit, though you could always push for a more expensive design above 100 points if it feels too underwhelming.

Quote:
Ruthless Warlord
This power concerns me greatly. Utgar has a huge number of units, and letting any of them trigger an unlimited attack boost for the round is crazy. Say, for example, that you have a squad of rats. After spending OM1 on them (used mostly for positioning the screen, but 4 attacks of 1 die each leaves very good odds for at least one missing), the rest of your army gets a huge attack boost. Sacrificing a 10 point rat to achieve this is an easy choice.
Ehhh....I feel like we are recycling MBS's special, and I'd personally rather try to get as many new and unique powers as possible for this guy.

for me regarding the Stare power.

Also I think we should all agree on if Vlad's gonna be a frontline attacker, or a sit in the back and direct kind of leader (like Katsuro) I personally like more of the sit back and lead Utgar's troops type, who scares the beejebus out of figures, but it seems others want the charge into battle type.

Regarding the Warlord thing, I can see how that can get nuts, although I think we all know Rats are one of the most broken units in Scape. (They really ought to be edit'd to be 60-65 pts by the fabase, IMO but that's for a different thread)

What if we gave him the ability to only activate it up to 3 times per game, like "Vlad stats the game with 3 Warlord markers, remove a marker to destroy a Squad figure, yaddayadda..."

(Also don't forget Vlad needs to be close to the action to activate the Warlord power, so he's putting himself in danger to do so. If 8 range is too much, what about 5-6 spaces? 5 life and 3 defense figures can be killed pretty quick if you're not careful)

"Our mother has been absent ever since we founded Rome; but there's gonna be a party when the wolf comes home."
Old May 14th, 2020, 04:18 PM
3 GIFs in a Trenchcoat

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Ruthless Warlord
Ehhh....I feel like we are recycling MBS's special, and I'd personally rather try to get as many new and unique powers as possible for this guy.

for me regarding the Stare power.

Also I think we should all agree on if Vlad's gonna be a frontline attacker, or a sit in the back and direct kind of leader (like Katsuro) I personally like more of the sit back and lead Utgar's troops type, who scares the beejebus out of figures, but it seems others want the charge into battle type.

Regarding the Warlord thing, I can see how that can get nuts, although I think we all know Rats are one of the most broken units in Scape. (They really ought to be edit'd to be 60-65 pts by the fabase, IMO but that's for a different thread)

What if we gave him the ability to only activate it up to 3 times per game, like "Vlad stats the game with 3 Warlord markers, remove a marker to destroy a Squad figure, yaddayadda..."

(Also don't forget Vlad needs to be close to the action to activate the Warlord power, so he's putting himself in danger to do so. If 8 range is too much, what about 5-6 spaces? 5 life and 3 defense figures can be killed pretty quick if you're not careful)
Or just do "Once per round, when an OM is revealed on Vlad, you may destroy a friendly adjacent figure..." Clean language, prevents him doing it with bonding and has a restriction of him having to have an om on him along with counterplay of he has to be adjacent when an om is revealed (so opponents can play against it).

my tradelist

Last edited by Heroscaper Guy; May 14th, 2020 at 04:19 PM. Reason: plus, id think hed be executing people with a sword so him doing it to the unlucky troop in melee makes sense
Old May 14th, 2020, 04:43 PM

[quote=Heroscaper Guy;2383045]

Quote:
Or just do "Once per round, when an OM is revealed on Vlad, you may destroy a friendly adjacent figure..." Clean language, prevents him doing it with bonding and has a restriction of him having to have an om on him along with counterplay of he has to be adjacent when an om is revealed (so opponents can play against it).
Good idea, any one else?

Old May 14th, 2020, 05:42 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

We need to be mindful of our goals of making AOTV a master set - there's no swarm figures in the box, so to speak. It doesn't quite feel right.

I'd rather him get some bonus for destroying a figure. Maybe not a Tagawa marker level bonus - something about destroying a figure gives him Deadly Strike for the rest of the round? You could then leave it open to destroying your own figures.
Old May 14th, 2020, 07:18 PM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Lots of ideas being thrown out here which is great! Personally I'd be happy to see this guy as either a vampire or historical Vlad. I might have a slight preference for the Vlad angle, if only because historically themed units are much less common, both within this set and VC as a whole, so it would be nice to have a little more diversity there. Also, as others have said, we'd want to make sure that a vampire hero was sufficiently distinct from the other vampires.

If we do go with the Vlad direction, I agree that another movement power in the set might be a little too much when we already have Ozuul and Deinekes. I like PK's idea of representing his cruelty by giving him some sort of bonus for destroying figures. Probably the best way to do that mechanically would be to require the player to reveal the X order marker after destroying a figure to trigger the bonus. While giving him Deadly Strike would be thematic, it might be simpler to just give him a straight attack bonus?

I also think that some form of Ruthless Warlord could work as well, although I think that most of the suggestions so far would need to be reined in a decent bit.
Old May 15th, 2020, 06:18 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

If you go Vlad, an Impaler power would be cool.
Where he leaves the bodies of destroyed figures on the battlefield as trophies and to breed fear.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs