Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

View Poll Results: How often would you participate in a custom unit contest?
I would participate often 8 34.78%
I would participate sometimes 13 56.52%
I would never participate 2 8.70%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 26th, 2017, 01:46 PM

chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Inquiry - Bringing Back Custom Unit Contests

I have a very simple question, how many people would be interested in regularly participating in a revised custom unit contest?
Same concept as the old ones but the format is outdated and would need some touch ups. I have opened the poll for 7 days.

It has been a number of years since I have had anything to do with the Speed Custom Contests. Mainly because I stopped playing Heroscape and moved to a different city. But I am now in a place where I could run these contests for awhile. I am interested in your interest and need to accurately gauge the involvement the community would have.
Old February 26th, 2017, 03:14 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!
Re: Inquiry - Bringing Back Custom Unit Contests

Put me down for either often or sometimes, depending on the amount of time I have/how regular these would be. Though it is worth noting that there is someone else, @Dr.Goomonkey , who runs custom contests of his own seasonally these days.

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old February 26th, 2017, 05:58 PM
On vacation...

Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Hey, look at this! The more custom contests the better, I'd say.

Repaints My Maps Online Maps Customs
Q3C Custom Contests
How can you tell which kid at the playground is going to grow up to be a trombone player?
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN
Old February 27th, 2017, 12:07 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

I think it would be great to have more contests. I'm not sure what would be the right cadence for me. Most likely the longer the submission period is the easier it would be for me to definitely get one in each time.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old February 27th, 2017, 12:07 AM

chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Goomonkey View Post
Hey, look at this! The more custom contests the better, I'd say.
And if we get enough support we can always collaborate. Dr.Goomonkey, Would you mind sending me a PM on what your read of the current customs scene is like? I would love to hear more about what your contests include too.
Old February 27th, 2017, 10:09 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

No offense, but although these are fun for those who participate, they do not IMHO have any long-term benefit. Better yet would be get people to playtest and critique the many customs that have already been made, especially C3V and SoV customs. In these speen contests there is never time to playtests, so it is all based on either theoryscaping, or just cool sounding powers, and not actual playability. Again, it may be fun and diverting at the time, and select few people may actually play the customs at a one or two home games, but they will never be as widely accepted as more time-consuming (both in creation and critiquing) of any other custom on this site.

But if fun is all that matters - then go for it.
Old February 27th, 2017, 10:45 AM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
No offense, but although these are fun for those who participate, they do not IMHO have any long-term benefit. Better yet would be get people to playtest and critique the many customs that have already been made, especially C3V and SoV customs. In these speen contests there is never time to playtests, so it is all based on either theoryscaping, or just cool sounding powers, and not actual playability. Again, it may be fun and diverting at the time, and select few people may actually play the customs at a one or two home games, but they will never be as widely accepted as more time-consuming (both in creation and critiquing) of any other custom on this site.

You... do know that this is a game, right? It feels kind of weird to be criticising something like this for lacking long term benefit.

And I know, I, personally, have really enjoyed these, and have added all the designs I've done for them (and a couple of others) to my collection. It's an interesting exercise of my creative and designing abilities to be given a figure and told to do something with it, and these are really fun to participate in and have left me with a number of figures I'd never have created otherwise, as well as plans that have spiraled from them, so... yeah, I think that these have their place. It's basically just a fun contest for personal custom creation, and personal custom creation is one of the things that, along with the larger groups, makes this site so exciting. It always saddens me when I see people acting like the official groups are the be-all and end-all of custom creation - I mean, they are amazing, but they're basically just the new face of 'official' Scape, and I see no reason for personal customs to be ignored in their favour.

~Lazy Orang, concluding her rant.

- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old February 27th, 2017, 01:25 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Orang View Post
Quote:

You... do know that this is a game, right? It feels kind of weird to be criticising something like this for lacking long term benefit.

And I know, I, personally, have really enjoyed these, and have added all the designs I've done for them (and a couple of others) to my collection. It's an interesting exercise of my creative and designing abilities to be given a figure and told to do something with it, and these are really fun to participate in and have left me with a number of figures I'd never have created otherwise, as well as plans that have spiraled from them, so... yeah, I think that these have their place. It's basically just a fun contest for personal custom creation, and personal custom creation is one of the things that, along with the larger groups, makes this site so exciting. It always saddens me when I see people acting like the official groups are the be-all and end-all of custom creation - I mean, they are amazing, but they're basically just the new face of 'official' Scape, and I see no reason for personal customs to be ignored in their favour.

Agreed. I also know tons of people that add other peoples customs to their collection because they are so well done. The only difference is they are less excepted to play with competitively.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old February 27th, 2017, 01:37 PM
Hard as ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Orang View Post
Quote:

Agreed. I also know tons of people that add other peoples customs to their collection because they are so well done. The only difference is they are less excepted to play with competitively.
Yeah, I myself am systematically adding a tonne of other people's customs to my collection. They're not legal for tournaments (which I almost never play anyway - only one official tourney under my belt, and that was for C3G) but they're great for home games.

- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old February 27th, 2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:

I think the idea of helping sustain creativity in the community is important. While a single contest does not benefit SoV, C3V, or anything of the sorts it does benefit the individual. If there are people who want to share their creativity with their community, more power to them. Why does it matter that they have to make something unofficially official?
With that said, maybe there is a place for joining the two trains of thoughts. Something to consider as we collect data.
Old February 27th, 2017, 07:41 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

It's a way to hone skills and to encourage designers to create a new design--it can get the juices flowing.

And in some cases it could even lead to an SoV nomination. I've been sitting on a design for a while I hope to eventually playtest enough to submit to SoV--and it originated in a custom contest.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old February 28th, 2017, 11:25 AM

IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun

Since we're on the subject of custom contests, does anyone know if it's possible to have different kinds of polls on the site? With a small number of voters, I feel like picking the "top 3" choices instead of just one might lead to a more accurate result. But I don't know if we have the capacity to do that.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards