Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Fan Art & Fiction
Fan Art & Fiction Graphic & Literary works bound only by the imagination

View Poll Results: Which Fan Fiction would you like to see next?
Code 4114 (LBV rewrite) 0 0%
Origin Story 7 87.50%
Sequel 0 0%
Other (Specify) 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 26th, 2016, 12:05 AM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Preferences for New Fan Fiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grim Reaper's Friend View Post
Also, The fan fiction is tentatively retitled to Error 4114.

~TGRF.
As long as it's still underlined I'm cool with whatever

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old December 20th, 2016, 02:31 PM
He should definitely get that. (#4)

TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Writing has ceased once more. I am nearly ready to write my first novel (yes, write - development is done). I just to tweak the outline some and smooth some things out. 4114 has taken a distant back seat to this.

However, once I get the outline done, I might take a break and write 4114, so that I can come back to the outline with a fresh perspective before beginning the writing. Possibly. I still don't see 4114 as being very good, so I might just move on to something else altogether. We will see when we get there.

~TGRF, keeping you updated.
Old January 9th, 2017, 03:56 PM

TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

@TheAverageFan @BiggaBullfrog @William099

An update: 4114 is still on a distant back burner. However, after evaluating the outline for my novel, I deduced that I need more practice with creating engaging plots. And what better place to practice writing than here?

That being said, I am not bringing back 4114. It's plot is... workable; but not helpful for practice. What I am considering doing is writing a minimal development short fiction.

'Minimal development' means I'm just throwing something in there so I can focus on the plot. That doesn't mean the characters will be cardboard or anything; they just won't be the focus of the fan fiction. The plot will be.

I would write this as I go, like how I wrote fan fictions when I first began. My goal would be to work on twists, and get really good at outlining and creating them. My goal would be to have a twist (and a twist that works and belongs) in every chapter. This would likely give each chapter a separate feel from each other, though they would all be part of the same story. I can't say for sure though.

If I do this, it would be an origin story of sorts, as requested. I do not know how long it would last, as I would likely end it once I feel comfortable writing twists and creating plots. I would guess at least a month or more. I do not know how frequent chapters would be.

Would there be interest in a serial like this?

~TGRF, who, typically, already has ideas as he asks.
Old January 9th, 2017, 05:01 PM

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
TAF's worthless writing advice:

When you say "write it as you go", do you mean just making it up as you go along each chapter without planning out the whole thing in advance? If that's the case, I would advise against it. Good plots require a ton of effort and thought beforehand. I usually construct mine backwards, starting with the ending I want and working back to the beginning (this ensures that everything makes sense upon review and that all plot elements pay off). This applies to almost every single story I've written on here.

I'm also not sure about the a twist a chapter idea. It'd have to be done very well, because part of the effectiveness of twists is reader anticipation. I usually try to let the reader settle with the story before bringing out twists. Once they think they're in the swing of things is the best time to change it up on them, for maximum effectiveness. If we get a twist every single chapter from the get-go we'll quickly start expecting them, making each subsequent one more challenging to make effective. Certainly could be a good way to put your writing skills to the test.

All that being said, if it means writing I'd encourage you to do it. I personally really enjoyed the story 4114 is based on for its plot (not that I didn't care about its main characters, but some of the best moments from that story didn't involve Dan at all). I also really enjoyed Kit: Young Ninja, and that was a story made up as it went along, as far as I know. I just warn that it could be challenging... which is what you're aiming for... so I say give it a fling.

~TAF

Old January 9th, 2017, 06:45 PM

Re: TAF's worthless writing advice:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan View Post
When you say "write it as you go", do you mean just making it up as you go along each chapter without planning out the whole thing in advance? If that's the case, I would advise against it. Good plots require a ton of effort and thought beforehand. I usually construct mine backwards, starting with the ending I want and working back to the beginning (this ensures that everything makes sense upon review and that all plot elements pay off). This applies to almost every single story I've written on here.

I'm also not sure about the a twist a chapter idea. It'd have to be done very well, because part of the effectiveness of twists is reader anticipation. I usually try to let the reader settle with the story before bringing out twists. Once they think they're in the swing of things is the best time to change it up on them, for maximum effectiveness. If we get a twist every single chapter from the get-go we'll quickly start expecting them, making each subsequent one more challenging to make effective. Certainly could be a good way to put your writing skills to the test.

All that being said, if it means writing I'd encourage you to do it. I personally really enjoyed the story 4114 is based on for its plot (not that I didn't care about its main characters, but some of the best moments from that story didn't involve Dan at all). I also really enjoyed Kit: Young Ninja, and that was a story made up as it went along, as far as I know. I just warn that it could be challenging... which is what you're aiming for... so I say give it a fling.

~TAF
You have some good points. I doubt I'd do a twist a chapter, because like you say, I'd need to set things up and get the reader used to things first.

I was thinking what I could do is make a basic outline and work in some major twists in it, but leave it open-ended in terms of time and the in-between things. That would leave me free to expand on side plots (which would probably be largely made up on the spot), and finish the story at my leisure.

Honestly I don't know if it would work or not. I just need the practice.

~TGRF.
Old January 9th, 2017, 06:48 PM

I think a basic outline with a lot of flexibility is a good idea.

~TAF

Old January 12th, 2017, 02:27 AM

Ideas are forming. I'm not sure how well I'll be able to write it as I go, but we'll see what happens. I might end up just writing the whole thing and then posting it as normal.

~TGRF, who is seeing potential for a lot of customs from this.
Old January 14th, 2017, 07:54 AM
the above

William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

You do what you want and I'll bring the interest. I haven't been displeased with any of your work till now and I'm not about to start.

Customs here
Master Set IV/Assault in the Mournlands.
William099 is Lord of Blades...
in THE FRACTAL COMPLEX
Old January 20th, 2017, 06:31 PM

On to attempt 4 at getting a base to work with...
UPDATE: Attempt 5 is under way and going strong...
UPDATE: Nearing the epic 'twist creation phase' of development... nearly done...
UPDATE: Approaching halfway mark of plot finalization...
UPDATE: Development completed. Moving on to Chapter Outline, and then writing...

~TGRF, eliminating options.

Last edited by TGRF; February 25th, 2017 at 06:22 PM.
Old February 27th, 2017, 02:12 PM

We are in business. I am outlining the chapters, and should begin the writing within a day or two. Expect the as-yet-unnamed fan fiction early March!

~TGRF, who hopes to find a title during the outlining.
Old February 27th, 2017, 02:49 PM

Excellent; I look forward to its inevitable delay and cancellation

~TAF, who jests of course. Can't wait to read it.

Old March 13th, 2017, 03:20 PM

Writing has begun. Looking good so far.

~TGRF.
UPDATE: Chapter 2/17 is complete.
UPDATE: Chapter 3/18 is complete.

Last edited by TGRF; March 14th, 2017 at 02:24 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Fan Art & Fiction