Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old September 3rd, 2008, 01:53 AM

Manatee knows what's in an order marker Manatee knows what's in an order marker Manatee knows what's in an order marker
Re: Origins of HS Names

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
I have it on good authority that there is a Dwayne Carr who is a Director of Product Development at Hasbro.

Jim
Does he where shades and carry a rather large sword?
More importantly, is he a gent?
Old September 3rd, 2008, 02:13 AM

Zelrig is surprisingly tart

Mimring is the name of a wood demon from Norse mythologies.
"the magic sword of Mimring, the wood-demon"

http://www.vaidilute.com/books/asgard/asgard-15.html

more proof
http://www.thecbg.org/wiki/index.php/Germanic_Spirits

Also Marr is Latin for impaired.

Moriko is Jappanese for Forest child.

Shiori means bookmark in Jappanese. Probably dealing with the fact you leave a unrevealed order maker on her.

Zelrig is Eldgrim...
in the ROSE CAVE...

Last edited by Zelrig; September 3rd, 2008 at 02:25 AM.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 05:05 AM
Did you know that 5 exclamation points is a sign of insanity?

Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I can't believe no one has noticed this before. From Answers.com a slang definition of "grunt" is:
Slang. An infantryman in the U.S. military, especially in the Vietnam War: “They were called grunts....They were the infantrymen, the foot soldiers of the war” (Bernard Edelman).
So "grut" is obviously grunt with a letter dropped.

And this means it would be a rank, grut orcs are the lowest rank in the orc army. Heavy gruts being the equivalent of Heavy Infantry.

I should give credit to the book "Orcs: Bodyguard of Lightning" where the author calls the lowest rank of Orc warriors grunts. I misread that several times and then wondered if this was where the name came from. I would bet on the "infantryman" slang though.

PS I searched for the word "grunt" in the forums before posting.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 10:44 AM
Spandau Ballet Fanboy

The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Wink Re: Origins of HS Names

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaknight View Post
Hmm... I've got some:

Dupius was a fairly common last name I believe from England.
Actually it's Dupuis, and it's French.

Brandon

I'm HipHoppa on Urban Rivals! Get cool rewards for your first credit purchase with my invitation code 6360776!
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Custom Creations
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Heroic Creations
Old September 3rd, 2008, 10:57 AM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaknight View Post
Hmm... I've got some:

Decimus Gallus = Tenth Hen (it's relevance to anything is unkown, except that he is leader of Ninth Roman Legion. The fact that he has 10 in his name could be a connection)

Dupius was a fairly common last name I believe from England.

The Sacred Band was the elite force of the Theban army. Linkage

EDIT: Too late for that last one... Here's another:

Jandar is a type of irrigation, Linkage

And Runa, is a popular singer's name of Bangladeshi origin. There's also an Islamic artist with a similar name
Similarity in names does not equivicate to origin.

•The origin of Sir Dupuis' name is already well known. He is named for Chris Dupuis, AKA theGuru.

•I highly doubt Jandar was named for an irrigation system.

•I also doubt that Runa came from a Bangadeshi singer or Islamic artist.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 11:00 AM

scarecrowking is surprisingly tart

"But aren't dragons, elves, Jotun, and even Spartacus from Earth legend/myth? So why couldn't they just name her "Medusa" and say she's from another planet?"

Spartacus was a historical character, Crixus I'm not sure, and a Retiarius is a classification of gladiator typified by the use of the net and trident style of combat, I believe.

I just can't see the problem here. Why in the world would they name an undead elf from another planet 'Medusa'? The name is a nod to the real-world inspiration for the model, that's all.

-scare

When people hear that I watch wrestling, they ask, "You know it's fake, right?" To which I answer, "Yes, but so is American Idol and the nightly news, and look how many idiots watch that."
Old September 3rd, 2008, 11:13 AM

Metaknight knows what's in an order marker Metaknight knows what's in an order marker Metaknight knows what's in an order marker

Sorry, didn't know about Dupius since he's not on the first page.

And Cav, you can never be sure...

See Valhalla like never before:
Airborne Elite in the
BYZANTINE CAVE...
Old September 3rd, 2008, 11:43 AM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrowking View Post
Spartacus was a historical character, Crixus I'm not sure, and a Retiarius is a classification of gladiator typified by the use of the net and trident style of combat, I believe.
Crixus was a gladiator in Spartacus's rebellion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crixus
Old September 7th, 2008, 11:14 AM

scarecrowking is surprisingly tart

Lord Pyre, thanks for that. Always good to learn something.

And while it isn't a name, did anyone notice the Highlander reference on the McDirk Warriors card?

-scare

When people hear that I watch wrestling, they ask, "You know it's fake, right?" To which I answer, "Yes, but so is American Idol and the nightly news, and look how many idiots watch that."
Old September 7th, 2008, 01:42 PM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrowking View Post
Lord Pyre, thanks for that. Always good to learn something.

And while it isn't a name, did anyone notice the Highlander reference on the McDirk Warriors card?

-scare

I'd never noticed the wording! "There can be only one..." Nice!

EDIT: And while I'm here...

Does anyone know what the etymology on "Fyorlag" is? Is that a location, or the species of the spiders, or what?

Old September 7th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

I think it is a species (since they are specifically in the "Ticalla Jungle"):

Quote:
Originally Posted by FS bio
Deep in the heart of the Ticalla Jungle, great threads of silk hang from the trees. The silk catches the falling rain, forming it into a thousand beads of crystal. When the rain clouds clear and light pours in through the jungle’s leafy canopy, the webs of the Fyorlag Spiders shine, revealing their intricately crafted beauty.
Old October 5th, 2008, 11:54 AM

Mutt Lo knows what's in an order marker Mutt Lo knows what's in an order marker
Dzu-Teh is name for Himalayan Red Bear

The Himalayan Red Bear or Dzu-Teh (Ursus arctos isabellinus) is often associated with the Himalayan Blue Bear (Ursus arctos pruinosus) and the Himalayan Brown Bear, (Ursus arctos isabellinus), with regard to the Yeti myth.

The Dzu-Teh, a Nepalese word, has been part of the Yeti, and later the Abominable Snowman (circa 1921), phenomenon from its early inception due to the location of its Himalayan habitat.

These guys really do their research!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units