Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Architects of the Realms of Valhalla
Architects of the Realms of Valhalla Discussion and presentation of the maps approved by the ARV.

Old October 22nd, 2017, 05:32 PM

cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Contest Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angear View Post
A bit disappointed that neither of my two submissions made it into the top 10 as I did put a lot of thought into the balance and competitive aspect of both. Oh well, good luck to all of those who made the top 10!
Where have the top ten been posted? I don't see them here in this thread.

~Z

The influence of a frozen beef pie
My map thread
Old October 22nd, 2017, 05:35 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgames View Post
Quote:
A bit disappointed that neither of my two submissions made it into the top 10 as I did put a lot of thought into the balance and competitive aspect of both. Oh well, good luck to all of those who made the top 10!
Where have the top ten been posted? I don't see them here in this thread.

~Z
It's a separate thread so we can attach the poll to it.

Top 10 Thread!

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 282 - 124
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old October 22nd, 2017, 06:34 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_It View Post
Quote:
My A Couple Puddles was in the last contest, but didn't make it into the top 10. I ran it through the workshop, and now it's in the approved List of Tournament Worthy Maps. Only 3 of the top 10 from that last contest got into the approved list, and 2 of those also went through the workshop before doing so.
That process is how I discovered the map in the first place...I missed it when it went through the contest originally and once it went through the secondary review process and SirH posted about it's induction I noticed it...so all round good work by all involved as I have built and playtested on it today and enjoyed it very much.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old February 7th, 2018, 02:37 AM

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth
Re: Contest Thread - NEW CONTEST!!!

THE CONTEST IS COMING...
NEW THEME

The theme has been pre-posted for you to begin preparing designs and thinking about what you want to do. You'll have roughly 2 weeks to prepare before submissions open so that you'll have more time to design and playtest before submitting.

Remember to keep map design focused on the theme. We STRONGLY suggest you look at basing your map builds off of Heroscape Lore for this contest (check the compendium for reference). Landmarks are very specific...so we're looking for some creativity as well as accuracy. Lets see Valhalla revealed!

Also. Our contests have brought along a lot of amazing maps that are fun and exciting, and yet many fall short of tournament competitiveness. We would like to be a little more clear with our mission. The ARV's purpose is to bring excitement and involvement from the community to build new maps for everyone to enjoy. But, it's a twofold purpose...While our contests are meant for the "fun" aspect of this experience, we also want to provide the community with tournament worthy competitive maps.

In an effort to help map builders, we've provided the following checklist as a way for designers to make sure their maps aren't broken or unbalanced. Please be aware that these are REGULAR questions we ask ourselves when we evaluate and playtest maps for tournament worthiness. Please use this checklist as you prepare your maps as it will help you to create a more balanced and competitively exciting design.

Map Building Checklist: For Competitive Balance
Take into consideration:
  1. Does Raelin break this map?
    Look for spots she can fly to on turn 1. Can she get onto a single-hex height position? Can she get next to a jungle bush? Can she protect a glyph holder, or two glyph holders for that matter? Can she remain on height on an easily defendable position? These are types of things you want to look for
  2. Does a Dragon build break this map?
    Can a Dragon fly and turn 1 attack the opponents startzone? Not always unbalanced, but can be if the position is easily defendable or on height. You also have to consider how dragons fly and shoot. Could a dragon fly from perch to perch and remain unengaged while shooting an opponent?
  3. Do rats break this map?
    Look for choke points. Are there any areas where 1 or 2 rats could block an oncoming army and virtually lock the board down without much of a contest? Are the glyphs too easily obtained/defended by rats?
  4. Is it impossible to place the hive in the start zone?
  5. Is it too easy for pods to set up?
    There are many competitive builds that are played by finding a position and simply holding it while the opponent advances to attack. Consider finding areas where an army could easily set up their pod without being contested by an opponent, or where a position is too easily defendable from height.
  6. Is it too easy to defend/control glyphs?
    Generally speaking, you'll want at least 2-3 positions where an opponent can attack a glyph holder and even better if from height. Glyphs should be in a spot relatively equidistant from each startzone and in a fairly weak position. Glyph holders should be at a disadvantage.
  7. Is there elevation in the start zone?
  8. Can move 5 or 6 figures reach glyphs on turn 1?
  9. Are there too many choke points?
    Basically what was stated on the rats question. Look for too many narrow areas where map flow could get clogged down and hinder an army's ability to move and develop.
  10. Are you unable to develop armies quickly?
    This is harder to describe...but basically maps should allow your army to reach midmap at least by turn 3. Maps that hinder movement so much that fighting doesn't happen till Round 2 will make games slow and arduous. Develop maps that figures can move through without too much restriction. Too many elevation changes can cause problems with development.

If you can answer yes to 2 or more of these questions, you’ll likely want to revise your map.
You guys are awesome, we're excited to see what you've got in store for us this time around!!!

Known Mapmakers
@TheSparkleInYourWater @Cleon @Skylord163 @TheEpicAlpaca @capsocrates @Tornado @Dad_Scaper @Colorcrayons @Dignan @All Your Pie @Annerios @arp12 @Bengi @BiggaBullfrog @Blodshogams @Browncoat @Buddy Lee @Cavalier @cavie @dok @Eclipse @Elstree @nyys @Fedex worker @Filthy the Clown @GaryLASQ @GeneralRolando @Hahma @Nadi @Hex_Enduction_Hour @hivelord @j-Bird @Jexik @killercactus @Killometer @kolakoski @kriegskeks @Lamaclown @legoboy @lonewolf @mad_wookiee @master4sword @MegaSilver @Mooseman @NecroBlade @Obsidian @ollie @pauldragon @peteparkerh @quozl @rednax @Retlaw @robbdaman @Robber @Rÿchean @rym @Ryougabot @'Scaper94 @Shades fan @Sherman Davies @skyknight @Scapemage @srmalloy @stubobj @SuperflyTNT @Swamper @Taelord @tannergx @The CEE @tom @twilkerson @Typhon2222 @Viegon @Warlord Alpha @Wind Lane @Yodaking @zanter
@A3n @vvildeyedjoker @heroscaper2010 @Herofly @Dr.Goomonkey @Leaf_It @rednax @TheTravelingScaper @GaryLASQ @Cyber Controler @JaesShurrig @Tankyteemo @Angear @Ericth74 @cmgames

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old February 7th, 2018, 09:44 AM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth
Re: NEW CONTEST!!! - Contest Thread

Cool contest idea!

Any idea how soon we can expect the review from the last one?
Old February 7th, 2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
Cool contest idea!

Any idea how soon we can expect the review from the last one?
They will be posted no later than this weekend.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old February 7th, 2018, 12:17 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

For inspiration:

courtesy of @DanieLoche

Last edited by superfrog; February 7th, 2018 at 04:22 PM.
Old February 7th, 2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
For inspiration:

courtesy of @DanieLoche
Thank you for posting that! Absolutely brilliant! Totally forgot about that map, and yes that would be a great place to start for many folks.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old February 7th, 2018, 04:09 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
Quote:
For inspiration:

courtesy of @DanieLoche
Thank you for posting that! Absolutely brilliant! Totally forgot about that map, and yes that would be a great place to start for many folks.
I'm not seeing any images pop up. Could there be a permissions problem?
Old February 7th, 2018, 04:22 PM
This is merely a joke.

I edited the image link in my post above to point to a re-upload of it. Hopefully that works.
Old February 7th, 2018, 05:41 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

I can see it now. Thanks for the quick fix!

Also, about the contest... How much leeway are we given in following the official HeroScape lore? I have an idea for a map that I'm pretty excited about, but it involves the Marvel Set, which would either necessitate some creative liberty in the story department or insinuate some very Planet of the Apes-reminiscent stuff.

Last edited by Astroking112; February 7th, 2018 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Added a question about the contest.
Old February 7th, 2018, 05:44 PM
Marcel Marceau

DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun

Oh... does the following link works for you, guys ..? here

Bunch of useful resources (army cards,
blanks, online databases & more..!)
French Forum's admin.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Architects of the Realms of Valhalla