Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old September 24th, 2016, 12:57 AM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth
Re: Craig Van Ness Q&A Thread

G'day Craig. I, like everyone else on this site (& broader I'm sure), thank you & your team for many years of family fun & enjoyment. Heroscape was a lot harder to get on my side of the pond but I stumbled across it one trip to Brisbane (my state's capital) & thought it would be a good Xmas present for my nephews & then on a whim bought a set for myself also. That was 10 years ago. I was lucky over the years to stumble on some good ebay deals before international postage got crazy. Me & my boys have enough of a collection to have had many joyous times battlefields playing this great game.

Heroscape lead to this great community where I now have many friends, although I have never actually met any of them. Heroscape/rs has also provided a creative outlet for me in my down-time to escape from the daily grind.

I doubt there are many other games that have affected families lives in the positive ways that Heroscape has. So thank you.

I do have a question for you. If you can say it, what was the real reason the 1st Marvel wave wasn't realeased?

Cheers
Old September 24th, 2016, 07:43 AM

Oman1666 knows what's in an order marker Oman1666 knows what's in an order marker Oman1666 knows what's in an order marker

Hi Craig, here's a strangely specific question for you:

In the ROTV master set, why did you and the team choose to include two ruins of two different sizes? Was it a deliberate attempt to discourage players from making maps with perfect symmetry (I did notice none of the maps in the rule book were symmetrical), or was there some other reason?

Thank you for taking the time to read this post (if you do) and for making one of the greatest games of all time

The only Heroscaper in England.*
Prove me wrong.

*(Except for Lazy Orang)
Old September 24th, 2016, 12:54 PM

Lord Trask knows what's in an order marker Lord Trask knows what's in an order marker

Craig,

Best of luck on your new business! I'm sure you can count on this community to support your efforts.

I have similar father/son bonding memories with others on the site. In fact, I just sent @killergoat72 a sliver of our collection to college and he already has 8 people playing and demanding more.

My Question: After the cancellation, we struggled to find a way to get Hasbro to reconsider. One of the ideas was sending tiles in with pleas to return the game to us. How did that go over?
Old September 28th, 2016, 11:53 AM

Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-IVD View Post
What is Soaring Rhino's Mission statement?? or plans for the future, um what are you planing on making next ?

I have Subscribed to your channel Looks like I'm # 92 loving the video's and will always be a fan of your works!!

Thank you for making my life and those around me better through your games !
Lord-IVD,
Mission Statement? Are you a marketing person?
Soaring Rhino's mission is to provide innovative ideas, thoughtful designs, and engaging games.

Soaring Rhino is going to launch our first game Shifting Realms. There will be a video up soon. We will follow up with the first expansion for Shifting Realms. We are currently testing a variety of games. Next year we hope to launch 3 new games not including the first expansion of Shifting Realms.
Old September 28th, 2016, 12:10 PM

Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Job

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnyFlame View Post
Dear Mr. Van Ness,

I would seriously like to apply to work at Hasbro -- any tips on getting chosen for an interview and landing the job? How did you get yours?

It seems tough now to get a job there because they require a degree in Industrial Design, Product Design, Advertising, Marketing, etc. and a lot of "toy-packaging" related experience, which is hard to come by without working there already. Are there "entry-level" spots?

HeroScape is my favorite game ever. Thank you for all you have done.

-Burny
BurnyFlame,
Shortly after graduating college, I started freelance inventing and illustrating. I have a degree in Illustration. I connected with a toy rep out of NYC, called SevenTowns. I designed 12 games in a 2 year span. Some strategy, some mass market, at the same time I was also illustrating. Jeff and I worked together on those games.

When I heard about an opening at MiltonBradley (Hasbro), I applied. I brought 8 completed games to my interview, all of which I illustrated. Mike Gray hired me and I learned so much from him.

Hasbro likes to hire game designers that can create things visually, in 3D or 2D. There have been exceptions, Rob Davaiu was one of those exceptions.

You should just start making games. You'll know if you create something that is fun.
Old September 30th, 2016, 01:20 AM

mee likey rolls all skulls baby! mee likey rolls all skulls baby! mee likey rolls all skulls baby! mee likey rolls all skulls baby! mee likey rolls all skulls baby!

What's up, Mr. Van Ness?
I can't remember if this has been asked yet but...
I'm assuming by now you would have heard about the announcement that Rob Daviau is going to take part in a new company called Restoration Games whose goal is to get the licenses for older, beloved games and remake them with new components and revised mechanics. As designer Justin Jacobson said, to "keep the spirit of the game, but make it work for what we expect out of modern games."

Which older games were you fond of, that would you like to see remade with modern qualities? And would you consider doing some consulting work with Restoration Games if Rob calls you up?
Old September 30th, 2016, 02:30 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyjosiah View Post
What figures or types of figures do you most regret that never saw the light of day with the move to D&D and then cancellation? Pirates? The final Elf Wizard? Aquilla Flagbearer? Something else?
Star Wars Heroscape... Marvel expansion packs...
I am a little surprised the reveal that Star Wars heroscape was almost a thing didn't break this site. Did no one else see this? CVN posted that he regrets that star war heroscape never saw the light of day, and we just gloss on by?

Craig, is there anything you can share with us about Star Wars heroscape, anything at all?

A must read for all 'Scapers!

Last edited by R˙chean; September 30th, 2016 at 03:38 PM. Reason: ;-)
Old September 30th, 2016, 03:38 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R˙chean View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyjosiah View Post
What figures or types of figures do you most regret that never saw the light of day with the move to D&D and then cancellation? Pirates? The final Elf Wizard? Aquilla Flagbearer? Something else?
Star Wars Heroscape... Marvel expansion packs...
I am a little surprised the revel that Star Wars heroscape was a thing didn't break this site. Did no one else see this? CVN posted that he regrets that star war heroscape never saw the light of day, and we just gloss on by?

Craig, is there anything you can share with us about Star Wars heroscape, anything at all?
I inquired about it when he mentioned it, but I've yet to be responded to on the subject.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old September 30th, 2016, 04:38 PM

MementoMori rolls all skulls baby! MementoMori rolls all skulls baby! MementoMori rolls all skulls baby! MementoMori rolls all skulls baby!

With the new films coming out, maybe we can still see the game released.

edit: missing verb

Last edited by MementoMori; October 1st, 2016 at 05:54 AM.
Old September 30th, 2016, 06:51 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MementoMori View Post
With the new films coming out, maybe we can still the game released.
Shameless HOSS loving plug in the spoiler:
Spoiler Alert!

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old October 2nd, 2016, 01:06 AM

TheTravelingScaper is surprisingly tart

Dear Mr.Ness, My adventures in Valhalla began in 2007 at one of my best friends birthday parties. there he got the 1st edition RotV master set and Orm's Return. When I visited his house two weeks later I was fascinated by the simplicity of the combat system and the customization of the battlefield. Unfortunately i waited years till after the games discontinuation to get a 2nd edition set(i have 2 now) but thanks to you my friends and I have not had more fun revealing order markers moving our troops and launching coordinated attacks. I just have 1 question: out of all the large expansion sets Forgotten Forest ,Volcarren Wasteland, Raknars vision,Etc. which one were you the most proud of its results? -Ryan

Missing 24 Units until I have 1 of everything. Missing stuff from waves 4,7,8,9,10,13 AA,Skahen Brown & Woo
My Tradeslist : http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=51248
Old October 2nd, 2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav11111 View Post
Craig, did the idea of a Heroscape cartoon ever get tossed around? I personally think if one was created we would probably still have Heroscape.
Trav11111,
Yes, when we were designing Swarm of the Marro, we were designing it so the story could work for a cartoon. A team of heroes on a mission, each hero had a unique personality. We released some digital animations. During development, the script got away from where the design team wanted to take it and IMO we didn't deliver a quality animation and the story/script was... not so good.

I tried to find these animations, but I did not have any luck.

Colby Dauch had a big part in the creation of the story for Heroscape. He was hired to write most of the journal entries after the early ones.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion