Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

View Poll Results: Is destroying a powerful unit worth spending more points?
Yes 11 22.92%
No 1 2.08%
Depends on the Unit 36 75.00%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 10th, 2008, 07:16 PM

War Solves Everything has disabled reputation
Leaking Points

I was thinking about how you counter draft. Normally if your enemy choses a unit you chose a unit that can defeat it for less points. But then their are units like the 4th Mass. Just two squads of them can cause major trouble and at 140 points. Counter drafting that is pretty hard. Do you think that it would be smart to draft Braxas (210 points) against two squads of 4th Mass (140) even though Braxas costs more? Is it worth the extra points to destroy them.

I feel sorry for you. Your not me.
Old January 10th, 2008, 07:37 PM

moorific is surprisingly tart
I think it depends on the unit. In the 4th Mass situation I would go with DW8k and Isamu (140 points). I think with some smart placing, (just outside their range) these two can make short work of them.

In other situations, such as Q9, if your looking for cheaper units to kill him, your best bet is an instant kill, Mindshackle, or Soul Devour (Morsbane, DED, KMS, NGS, Shades). Otherwise, I tried buffed up Tagawas with Thorgrim. Q9 didn't stand a chance, but then again what else is gonna stop a squad with 6 move 6 attack 6 defense and counterstrike?
Old January 10th, 2008, 07:44 PM

But what I'm asking is spending extra points worth killing uber units like Krug.

Old January 10th, 2008, 07:55 PM

moorific is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Solves Everything
But what I'm asking is spending extra points worth killing uber units like Krug.
I didn't think of Krug... He's defiantly a harder one. Maybe Morsbane? Plus Marcu? When he's negated then they should both be able to take him I think.
Old January 10th, 2008, 08:47 PM

ares834 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Well here is my view. You counter them and then you can still use that unit.
Old January 11th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
I'm not one for strictly counterdrafting. You want to counterdraft units that can help you in other ways. In the scenario presented, I don't think it's a bad idea, b/c if Braxas makes it through the 140 points of 4th Mass, he still has value left. That said, that value is even higher if there are more squad members in the rest of your opponent's army.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old January 11th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth
I say that it is worth it if the less costly unit will likely take out more than its share of points. For example, the Einar Imperium can be scary, so Braxas might be a good idea to take them out before they can take out 300 points of squads. Ditto for the AE, who can do the same. The Minions and Sentinels are hard to kill without ranged chomp, so again Braxas is a good bet against those, rather than letting them withstand most attacks and kill many units. Just be sure to keep Braxas away from their melee attacks!

Old January 11th, 2008, 02:52 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!
My answer is that it depends on the rest of your army. If your opponent drafts the Krav Maga and you have say, the AE and Marro Warriors already, drafting Braxas strictly for killing them is not a bad idea. With the Krav gone, you know the AE and Marros have a great chance of taking out more than their point value, even if Braxas doesn't. Now, if your opponent drafts the Krav as his first pick and you don't have anyone yet, you might wanna get Deadeye Dan instead and save that 150 point difference for more units down the road.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old January 12th, 2008, 11:29 AM

HeroscaperHuh has disabled reputation
If Spartacus is attacking me without any Gladiators, I would say he is a good 100-130 point figure.

Before you criticize some one, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away and have their shoes.
Old January 14th, 2008, 01:15 AM

RageAngel rolls all skulls baby! RageAngel rolls all skulls baby! RageAngel rolls all skulls baby! RageAngel rolls all skulls baby! RageAngel rolls all skulls baby!
In almost any game, it is better to "play your own game" than react to your opponent - even in drafting.

Keep what your opponent has chosen in mind, but if you are going for a particular strategy, don't jeopardize it to "hate-draft" as MTG players know the practice.
Old January 14th, 2008, 01:21 AM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageAngel
In almost any game, it is better to "play your own game" than react to your opponent - even in drafting.

Keep what your opponent has chosen in mind, but if you are going for a particular strategy, don't jeopardize it to "hate-draft" as MTG players know the practice.
I must confess I haven't drafted since before the advent of Wave 1. We always bring our own army or decide on themes before-hand. I would be at a disadvantage in a game where I actually had to draft and counter-draft.

To make the connection to this thread, I agree with RageAngel and I say to draft what your opponent lets you to fit your army concept. Any draft he makes to foil you is a draft that doesn't fit too well with his army (you hope).

Old January 16th, 2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeblewalker
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageAngel

I must confess I haven't drafted since before the advent of Wave 1. We always bring our own army or decide on themes before-hand. I would be at a disadvantage in a game where I actually had to draft and counter-draft.

To make the connection to this thread, I agree with RageAngel and I say to draft what your opponent lets you to fit your army concept. Any draft he makes to foil you is a draft that doesn't fit too well with his army (you hope).

What if you notice they have Braxas when your bringing an orc army, would you change your army between games?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles