Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Miniatures
Other Miniatures Miniatures games besides Heroscape.

Notices

Old August 14th, 2020, 10:26 AM

HEROSCAPERMTL knows what's in an order marker HEROSCAPERMTL knows what's in an order marker
Warhammer: Age of Sigmar

Hey guys!

Just wondering if any of you play AoS. It's been a little over a year now since I jumped into the hobby and I'm quite enjoying it so far. I've got a Beasts of Chaos and Sylvaneth army.
Old August 14th, 2020, 11:00 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth
Re: Warhammer: Age of Sigmar

Played once at a con a year ago. Was very similar and natural to Heroscape, at least compared to regular Warhammer/40K. I liked the multiple different scenarios and also the dice point system for special powers, with each character having special powers, and the clan having their own with synergy between them. Also liked that all you need is a card for each figure/squad and few cards for each clan and standard power, so no need to reference a rulebook for all the stats and powers.

I also especially like the long range of attacks and "zones", as although you do need a ruler, you don't really need it that often and you can fairly accurately determine if something is in range without pre-measuring. Measuring is one of my major gripes with most wargames, so they tried to remove it as much as possible.

If I was to get into another miniature game besides Heroscape I think either Age of Sigmar or X-Wing would be my two choices - I just can't get past the "hobby" aspect of having to paint and the higher cost.
Old August 14th, 2020, 02:28 PM

HEROSCAPERMTL knows what's in an order marker HEROSCAPERMTL knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
Played once at a con a year ago. Was very similar and natural to Heroscape, at least compared to regular Warhammer/40K. I liked the multiple different scenarios and also the dice point system for special powers, with each character having special powers, and the clan having their own with synergy between them. Also liked that all you need is a card for each figure/squad and few cards for each clan and standard power, so no need to reference a rulebook for all the stats and powers.

I also especially like the long range of attacks and "zones", as although you do need a ruler, you don't really need it that often and you can fairly accurately determine if something is in range without pre-measuring. Measuring is one of my major gripes with most wargames, so they tried to remove it as much as possible.

If I was to get into another miniature game besides Heroscape I think either Age of Sigmar or X-Wing would be my two choices - I just can't get past the "hobby" aspect of having to paint and the higher cost.
Hey man! I think the game you're referring to is warhammer underworlds. Age of Sigmar is your typical tabletop wargame with building and painting models and using a ruler to measure distances. Underworlds is a smaller scale version that you play on a hex board, which is very similar to heroscape. Both warhammer games are a ton of fun but very different in style. Underworlds is more of a boardgame, whereas AoS is a straight up tabletop wargame.
Old August 15th, 2020, 12:59 PM

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

I was I guess talking about Warhammer Age Sigmar: Skirmish
Old August 16th, 2020, 09:28 AM

Quote:
I was I guess talking about Warhammer Age Sigmar: Skirmish
Ohh cool, so that is an earlier version of warhammer underworlds, back when it was a supplement rather than a full game of its own. Underworlds is seriously a lot of fun and more casual than AoS, perfect for people who love board games. Highly recommended if you wanna try something new without investing a lot of hobby time and $$$
Old September 22nd, 2020, 10:21 PM

Figure knows what's in an order marker Figure knows what's in an order marker Figure knows what's in an order marker

My friend and his wife got starter sets a while back (Nurglings and Dwarves) but I never got into it with them. Today I bought Warhammer Underworlds Godsworn hunt as my girlfriend and I are going to start playing Underworlds once her work study is finished. I believe you can use the Underworld warband in AoS and maybe Kill Team as well but I need to look into it more.
Old September 24th, 2020, 11:47 AM

Actually after looking again, I think I played Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Warcry, including Battleplan Cards. I think Games Workshop went a little crazy with too many Skirmish variants in the last couple of years. Again I'd be into playing it, but not into the hobby aspect of it (assemble, painting, measuring, memorizing charts).
Old October 5th, 2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunaks View Post
My friend and his wife got starter sets a while back (Nurglings and Dwarves) but I never got into it with them. Today I bought Warhammer Underworlds Godsworn hunt as my girlfriend and I are going to start playing Underworlds once her work study is finished. I believe you can use the Underworld warband in AoS and maybe Kill Team as well but I need to look into it more.
Yes you can! The underworlds warbands can port over to AoS, each warband belonging to a specific faction. The godsworn hunt for example has the Slaves to Darkness keyword, so they can be used in a StD army.

Kill team is a separate game played in the warhammer 40k universe. Kill team is essentially the underworlds equivalent for 40k.
Old October 5th, 2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Actually after looking again, I think I played Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Warcry, including Battleplan Cards. I think Games Workshop went a little crazy with too many Skirmish variants in the last couple of years. Again I'd be into playing it, but not into the hobby aspect of it (assemble, painting, measuring, memorizing charts).
It's very possible. Warcry is a newer smaller scale skirmish game. The warcry models also port over to AoS, all being a part of the Slaves to Darkness faction. I don't have a lot of experience with warcry, but it's essentially a fun smaller scale version of AoS meant for those who don't want to invest as much time and money as the wargame.

AoS definitely has a steep learning curve, from the hobby aspect to learning the general rules and your army rules. It's not for everyone but I absolutely love the game!
Old October 5th, 2020, 08:51 PM

Figure knows what's in an order marker Figure knows what's in an order marker Figure knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEROSCAPERMTL View Post
Quote:
Yes you can! The underworlds warbands can port over to AoS, each warband belonging to a specific faction. The godsworn hunt for example has the Slaves to Darkness keyword, so they can be used in a StD army.

Kill team is a separate game played in the warhammer 40k universe. Kill team is essentially the underworlds equivalent for 40k.
Ah I see, I recently watched Goobertown hobbies paint an army of Slaves to Darkness and they look awesome too, might get a set just to paint.
Old October 6th, 2020, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEROSCAPERMTL View Post
Quote:

Ah I see, I recently watched Goobertown hobbies paint an army of Slaves to Darkness and they look awesome too, might get a set just to paint.
Ya man, there are some extremely talented painters within the hobby. So many beautifully painted warhammer models out there!

The StD model range is pretty sweet, from heavily armoured chaos knights and warriors to hordes of barbarians and cultists. They even have a badass leader riding a top a three-headed dragon! Archaon the Everchosen, Exalted Grand Marshal of the Apocalypse.

Heck ya, the hobby is a lot of fun! I do warn you though, it's not cheap. It'll cost an initial investment of about $100 on paints, supplies, and tools. Then the models will cost about $200-$300 for a playable army. If you're just interested in painting some cool models, then buy a box for about $50 and have fun!

Feel free to ask any questions! Post here or pm.
Old October 6th, 2020, 10:39 PM

Oh for sure, I was into Malifaux for quite a while and between 2 armies and probably 60 or so paints I was already in several hundred and Malifaux armies are much smaller than AoS. I can slow roll a Slaves to Darkness army now and by the time quarantine has let up and I can play at my game store, I will have an army that's ready to play.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Miniatures