Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old September 26th, 2007, 03:13 PM

ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Super Atheist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody the Marro Stinger
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Super Atheist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotwalker 8000
For those with good experience using Ornak, how hard is it to keep this guy alive?

Weak defense and low life may make him an easy target to a ranged rush... And if moving him up to the frontline with his complimentary guard of heavy gruts, it just doesn't seem that he would live long enough to really give his orc warriors many opportunities to use the Orc Battle Cry Aura.
Obviously, Ornak should try to "lead from behind" as much as possible, and hopefully the 1st turn / 2 hero activations can assist in keeping hostile figs at a safe distance from Ornak himself, but since he needs to stay within 8 spaces of those heroes for the next turn 1 activation, he has to necessarily place himself in harm's way.

I recently picked this guy up and am looking forward to seeing what he can do, but any helpful tips on how to most effectively use him and keep him alive would be appreciated from those experienced in playing this guy!

Thanks much!

(FYI, we usually do 400 - 550 pt armies...)
Yes but 4 or 5 attacks of ENHANCED 3 is pretty good. You can hide him and his "elite guard" (a squad of heavies) behind a ruin as ambush troops.
I'm sorry, but the Orcs rely on getting to their opponent fast and hard, overwhelming them with a swarm. Do that ambush manuever, and you waste 170 points to have them stand somewhere, and that means your opponent has a FAR easier time killing the other 330 points of Orcs. Nerak would help that problem, but 3/4 of everyone here (myself included) don't have him.

I'd dissagree. If you only field heavies they don't hit as fast as a swarm of blades. What they lack in speed is made up for in attack and defence though. and I don't get how waiting to ambush something is a waste. It is the total opposite. If you are waiting to ambush you are usually hidden behind a wall, safe from attacks unless they decide to hit you first. I've killed Kaemon Awa (With Thorgrim's spirit) with an ambush with Ornak and 4 heavies in one turn.
It's devatating. That was definately not a morale booster for my friend.

and nerak has 8 move, right? what other orc squad has 8 move?

range usually has 3-ish attack. 3 defence is good for that.
I could think of a million better units for ambushing then the orcs are. Plus, if he just sent Kaemon Awa at you like a total imbecile would, then he needs to do something else. On the maps I play at, there's usually some place you can get the jump on your ambushers, but not from height. In that way, Kaemon could have killed the Heavies. Also, they have good defense, and even more so with Grimnak, so why not just march them? The opponent will be hard pressed to kill your orc swarm if you have Nerak and Grimnak supporting them and Heavies, as they'll have 5 defense each, with 4 attack. That means lots and lots of slaughter against the enemy if they are not prepared. Plus, if they leave Grimnak alive, he can chomp down on some ranged units to clear the way for more Heavies.

The user formerly known as Bloody the Marro Stinger!
Old November 4th, 2007, 01:29 PM

HeroscaperHuh has disabled reputation
Theoreticly, for the Red Flag Fury you could take a turn with the hive, a turn with a common marro squad, then Iskra (spelling), and summon the Wretches and take a turn with them. 4 turns? If the Red Flag Fury worked with every order marker, Ornak would be the most broken fig in the game lol

Before you criticize some one, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away and have their shoes.
Old November 4th, 2007, 05:14 PM

ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroscaperHuh
Theoreticly, for the Red Flag Fury you could take a turn with the hive, a turn with a common marro squad, then Iskra (spelling), and summon the Wretches and take a turn with them. 4 turns? If the Red Flag Fury worked with every order marker, Ornak would be the most broken fig in the game lol
Actually, you cannot take a turn with a Common Marro Squad using the hive by activating the Hive via Ornak because Hive Mind only works when the Hive activates it's turn via an order marker.

The user formerly known as Bloody the Marro Stinger!
Old November 9th, 2007, 02:29 AM

guido knows what's in an order marker guido knows what's in an order marker guido knows what's in an order marker
How about this:

Ornak - 100points
Grimnak - 120points
Marcu - 20points
Heavy Gruts x1 - 70points
Blade Gruts x2 - 80points
Arrow Gruts x2 - 80points
Swog Rider x1 - 25points

That's 495 points and this army seems to work well with each other. The point value for each card was off the top of my head, so I apologize if I got them wrong. I figure it would work best with Grimnak and Marcu on the front line, with archer cover, and Ornak tucked safely behind a screen of orc warriors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej
Did you lose your saving throw vs. Fabulous?
B.U.D.
Old December 17th, 2007, 11:11 PM

Pattar007 has disabled reputation
Of all the flag bearers Ornak would probably be the first one I would buy. He works well for a cheapscaper who doesn't want to buy 10 of each common.

Old December 17th, 2007, 11:22 PM
The Orc Master

Browncoat is surprisingly tart
Ornak is a good choice when combined with Marcu. You don't have to roll for Eternal Hatred.
Old June 1st, 2008, 01:59 PM

Doey08 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Re: The Book of Ornak

Here is a good orc army

Ornak (100)
Grimnak (120)
Blade Gruts (40)
Arrow Gruts x2 (80)
Heavy Gruts (70)
Swog Rider x3 (75)

485 Points, 25 spaces

Knights, Cavalry, Minutemen-What's better than that?
Old June 1st, 2008, 02:09 PM

hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doey08 View Post
Here is a good orc army

Ornak (100)
Grimnak (120)
Blade Gruts (40)
Arrow Gruts x2 (80)
Heavy Gruts (70)
Swog Rider x3 (75)

485 Points, 25 spaces
Ornak's full potential is used in that army. He can move any 2 Utgarian Unique Heroes, but Grimnak is the only one. I's think Tornak might be a better substitue for Ornak here.

Old June 3rd, 2008, 09:56 AM

Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness

It seems logical that Ornak's value will go up if Wu-Sa-Ga (card not released at this time) is a high-cost figure. More powerful Utgar heroes means more turns with solid figures while using Ornak... or at least more diversity when drafting heavy-hitting heroes with Ornak.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 11:46 AM
Mintiest of the Minty

markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness

As much as I love Orcs I've still not found a combination I like that utilizes Ornak in the build. Granted, I almost never play with more than 500 point armies but it is frustrating. He was easily the flagbearer that I wanted the most, but I never play him.

Old June 3rd, 2008, 11:51 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Actually Soulshackle, I think a few more low point heroes would help Ornak. I think that figures like Marcu, Isamu, Nerak, and Me-Burq-Sa make great options for Ornak, and allow him to use his special power late into the game.

I agree with Markwars. I haven't found a small army yet that utilizes him and the Gruts particularly well. Ornak is one of those figures that I never get tired of trying to make work though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old June 3rd, 2008, 11:55 AM
Mintiest of the Minty

markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness

You are right. He's so good in theoryscape that you just have to keep trying to fit him in some how.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units