Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Old April 2nd, 2018, 12:54 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

I edited my previous post, but I'll repeat it here:

on Rujin from Toril.
Old April 2nd, 2018, 01:28 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
The bio you've given is the problem you've seen here, because of the association with Valhalla. Remove or change the bio, thus allowing for a more natural home world for this design, and you wouldn't have this problem with canon consistency.
Done. My original submission post has been updated without a Bio and association with Valhalla as his home world. That should take care of the reservations for this submission.
I was going to announce that the unit passed since we have a majority, but this changes things. (I also happen to support the change.) You still do need a homeworld, though. Toril or Eberron?
Toril seems appropriate.
@capsocrates @Soundwarp SG-1 @wriggz @BiggaBullfrog

Sir Heroscape has changed Rujin's homeworld to Toril in response to the comments received here. I will not count any votes prior to this change. Please re-vote (especially if your opinion has changed).

I didn't mind Regenerate on a Valhallan Troll, but I understand the dissent. Either way, I'm happy to review Rujin as a Torillian (is that right?) Troll.

to review Rujin
Old April 2nd, 2018, 01:48 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

to review a Rujin from Toril. I'm concerned he is still overpriced, but he probably falls within an acceptable range.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old April 2nd, 2018, 02:11 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

We have elves from 3 different planets and they all use bows, magic and are Tolkin elf like. Dwarves also show up on 3 different planets (I think) and they all seem like dwarves should. I had no problem with Troll being treated similar, but there is no reason no to move them to a D&D world either.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old April 2nd, 2018, 02:15 PM
A Jacquee in Disguise?

Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth

Not really keen on terrain specific units personally, but that's not something I can vote down over.

My Repaints and Mods: Updated 1-13
My Custom Cards: Updated 4-15
My Custom Superheroes: Updated 1-13
My figure images for online games:
Alliance figures, Utgar figures
My Etsy Store
Old April 2nd, 2018, 03:45 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post

We have elves from 3 different planets and they all use bows, magic and are Tolkin elf like. Dwarves also show up on 3 different planets (I think) and they all seem like dwarves should. I had no problem with Troll being treated similar, but there is no reason no to move them to a D&D world either.
With those, that was because Heroscape created generic elves/dwarves from Feylund (because of course they did), and then when they started using the D&D licence they had to use them from there as well - it was an, IMO, mildly unfortunate case of two things exploring the same thematic space - nothing else could have been done by the time it happened. Here, there is no reason to double up on the same theme like that, especially when not doing so opens up the potential for different things to be explored.

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old April 2nd, 2018, 04:43 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

That's plenty of votes. Rujin by @Sir Heroscape has received 6 Yea votes to review (Ixe, superfrog, Scytale, capsocrates, wriggz, and Soundwarp SG-1) and moves forward in the process.
Old April 3rd, 2018, 11:53 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

Maltis Tez by @Leaf_It

After a particularly bumpy start, Maltis Tez is now hurtling towards the final decision of whether or not she can make it as a Soldier of Valhalla. Will she cross that finish line, or stumble on her way there?

Balance

As a 35 Point filler with synergies tying her to Teeth of the Makwa, Werewolf Lord, and Venoc Warlord, Maltis has a lot of comparisons to be made. She is a weaker option for the Teeth of the Makwa than Brave Arrow, which is appropriate due to her cheaper price tag. With Werewolves, she costs the same as Seleena, and while she can hit harder, she has less flexibility as a melee unit and is more likely to get caught and killed. She is decent filler in a Scout build, but if it has Venoc Vipers you’re better off getting more of those.

Her best comparison, in my opinion, is Siiv. Both have 7 Move and similar survivability. Siiv makes a better assassin with both his defense-negating Special Attack and higher base attack, but Maltis has more synergies. She can also roll more attack dice than Siiv with her First Assault, though that is usually only used a few times a game. Both can also get out of sticky situations; Siiv with the always useful Disengage and Maltis with the situationally more useful Strategic Repositioning.

Overall, Tez’s price at 35 is fitting. It’s balanced for what she does and she isn’t overshadowing any other figures.

Theme

Maltis Tez’s theme is straightforward — she’s a swift scout who likes to pick off lone figures. The running position of the mini supports her high Move, and she has feline features that tie her in with her Hybrid homies and support her mobility and post-attack movement with Strategic Repositioning. Playing with her reminded me a lot of a cat I had when I was younger who would jump out from hiding to attack our ankles or other cat, then immediately run away to hide under a table, waiting for her next opportunity. I felt her theme shined in gameplay.

Creativity

The only completely new thing that Maltis Tez has is her Strategic Repositioning. I didn’t think it would be very dynamic in gameplay, but I found that it encouraged more thought not only when choosing where to move with it, but also where to attack from to allow the best repositioning after the attack. This was especially notable in the endgame when every wound matters, and Tez could jump into hiding to draw out pursuers or to a vantage point that she could run and/or attack from in her next turn.

First Assault is used well here as a useful power for a fleet-footed scout, and as a power from Classic ‘Scape to help tie the card in with the canon. She feels like a unit that fits in well with those have come before her.

Playability

As mentioned, Maltis Tez has a lot of synergies going for her. However, possibly her biggest struggle is the competition that she has. She is a decent leading figure in a Teeth of the Makwa army to move them up while she tries to pick off advancing units or hold a glyph/chokepoint, but for 15 more points you can get Brave Arrow to do that better, and Theracus exists as well for 5 more points. In a Werwolf Lord/Hybrid army she is useful as a frontline figure or glyph holder, but her survivability is pretty low and she doesn’t last long (which is to be expected of a 35 pointer), and Seleena can provide additional attacks from the safety of range. She really enjoys the +2 Move from the Venoc Warlord in a Scout build, but if that build is using Venoc Vipers you’re better off just using another squad of them. If it’s a Mohican build then she is good for cleanup, though that’s in addition to the cleanup that the Venoc Warlord provides.

With that competition in mind, I set out to see just how unique she feels and plays. Like most filler, she loves picking off individuals and goes down quickly when caught. Her powers encourage a lot of choices in the endgame, as you can use Strategic Repositioning defensively to get the best attacks, and often it’s best to risk disengagement to find an easier target to take down with First Assault. It provides a fun play style for her that sets her apart from the other filler units at her level, and makes her unique enough from her competition that she feels like a good choice when considering options.

Summary

As a versatile unit that fits in a bunch of different armies, Maltis has a lot of opportunities to see play. While there is some stiff competition to fit into those slots, her abilities are unique and she’s interesting in the endgame. She’s also balanced, usually able to earn her points back in a game. Best of all her theme really carries through into her gameplay, and I found her to be a fun, solid addition to armies I fielded her in.

I vote Yea to induct Maltis Tez into the Soldiers of Valhalla.

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old April 6th, 2018, 05:30 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

I would like to submit my own Dr. Gudruna Vogt for consideration (note that, although the card is Bragi, one of @Soundwarp SG-1 's custom generals, I am submitting her as a follower of Vydar - I just didn't want to hastle someone to create an alternate card for her I'm never going to use only for this submission in case this doesn't go anywhere ).

Spoiler Alert!

- The Stiff Corpse
=====================

Last edited by Lazy Orang; April 6th, 2018 at 07:07 PM.
Old April 6th, 2018, 05:51 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Looks like a cool unit. Maybe worth a quick spin in the pre-SoV thread first though?

Without thinking carefully (or reading the bio which shows up in an unreadable colour on my settings) I'd say the use of "blanks" and the range of 3 are only going to fly with some more justification. Striking "blanks" and making the range either 1 or 4 are easy fixes, but maybe the consensus will be that there's nothing that needs fixing or that these aspects are worth the stretching of the canon.

I especially like Mental Shield as a small bit of added flavour.
Old April 6th, 2018, 06:20 PM
Hard as ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
Looks like a cool unit. Maybe worth a quick spin in the pre-SoV thread first though?

Without thinking carefully (or reading the bio which shows up in an unreadable colour on my settings) I'd say the use of "blanks" and the range of 3 are only going to fly with some more justification. Striking "blanks" and making the range either 1 or 4 are easy fixes, but maybe the consensus will be that there's nothing that needs fixing or that these aspects are worth the stretching of the canon.

I especially like Mental Shield as a small bit of added flavour.
Not planning to run it through the Workshopping thread - this isn't something I designed specifically with SoV in mind and I don't really plan to rework it, it's just a card I'm happy with and thought I'd try submitting.
Range of 3 I think should hopefully fall under the 'weird range' distinction the Varja has on account of being telepathic (seriously, why is this deemed a problem? The Varja's already gone there, and I swear the only reason it didn't appear officially is because the official designers didn't get around to designing anyone who they felt needed it.) As for the blanks, that was mostly so that she'd be mixedscape compatible and so that if any units I create in the future use blanks she can effect them - I think it's a line it'd be wise to keep to future proof her, but I won't fuss about cutting it for an official version if that's what people would need to review her, I'll just use the original version at home without much distinction anyway; I already tweaked the General, after all.
I tweaked the bio colour, btw.

- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old April 6th, 2018, 08:09 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

This is a bold submission, and I like that.

Range 3 doesn't bother me here, and the inclusion of blanks doesn't, either. Classic Scape doesn't count blanks, so it can be harmlessly axed in editing.

I'm most bothered by Posthuman, to be honest. I understand what you're getting at, but it feels like it crosses a line into a bit too much weirdness.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs