Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Notices

Old April 21st, 2015, 03:52 PM

betawolf36 rolls all skulls baby! betawolf36 rolls all skulls baby! betawolf36 rolls all skulls baby! betawolf36 rolls all skulls baby! betawolf36 rolls all skulls baby! betawolf36 rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Unreleased Units

Updated through 4/21/15.
Old April 22nd, 2015, 10:17 AM

Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by betawolf36 View Post
Deltacron (?)
Zetacron, Omegacron, Deltacron ... makes me wonder if somebody misread the original Omnicron Snipers as Omicron Snipers and thought they were supposed to imply a rule of using the Greek alphabet. Or maybe the original Omnicron was a typo, and we should correct the spelling on the Snipers and Repulsors to follow to the pattern?

Good traders: tdemirji, AbsintheAddict, Blubberguy22, Toa Matoro, SuperSamyon, Bl1ndsn1per, Ericth74,
Clipper423, Oh Freek, Nikkomon, DarthBaggins, quizzcode, Astroking112 & more on my trade list
Old April 22nd, 2015, 10:27 AM
3 GIFs in a Trenchcoat

Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_a_Bill View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by betawolf36 View Post
Deltacron (?)
Zetacron, Omegacron, Deltacron ... makes me wonder if somebody misread the original Omnicron Snipers as Omicron Snipers and thought they were supposed to imply a rule of using the Greek alphabet. Or maybe the original Omnicron was a typo, and we should correct the spelling on the Snipers and Repulsors to follow to the pattern?
Not sure I follow. It kinda follows precedent with Zetacron and the Omnicrons with naming. Can you explain what I'm missing?

"They are too numerous to fight. What shall we do?" "Fight anyway."

"You can never defeat another if you know not how to defeat yourself."
my tradelist
Old April 22nd, 2015, 11:10 AM

Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroscaper Guy View Post
Not sure I follow. It kinda follows precedent with Zetacron and the Omnicrons with naming. Can you explain what I'm missing?
  • Deltacron is the Greek letter delta () plus "cron."
  • Omegacron is the Greek letter omega () plus "cron."
  • Zetacron is the Greek letter zeta () plus "cron."
  • BUT, Omnicron is not a Greek letter "omni" plus "cron"; there is no such Greek letter. There isn't even a Greek letter "omnicron," although there is one called omicron () without the extra "n" in the middle.
So the Snipers and Repulsors actually do not fit or generate the pattern that was sort of implied by Zetacron and then semi-canonized by Omegacron and Deltacron. (Unless we say the pattern is "any Greek or Latin word followed by 'cron'," in which case Deltacron could just as easily be called Sempercron or Aeternocron and comply with the pattern). I suspect that "Omnicron" was confused with Omicron in assuming a pattern that led to the name for Zetacron, and thus it seems like a pattern may have been retconned based on a misreading of the original unit.

To truly make the earlier units fit the implied pattern, not only would we have to drop the extra n's but we would have to add "cron" after the name of the Greek letter:
  • Deltacron
  • Omegacron
  • Zetacron
  • Omicroncron Repulsors
  • Omicroncron Snipers
Of course I am not advocating this. I'm just pointing out that the Greek-letter naming pattern we probably think drives these units in fact does not, and never did, actually exist.

I'm also not saying Deltacron shouldn't be called Deltacron. It's a perfectly fine convention if you ignore the early outliers. It's just a shame that the majority of the canonical units (the Snipers and Repulsors) don't actually follow or generate the pattern.

Hmm, now I'm wondering how many people pronounce it OWE-muh-cron instead of AHM-nuh-cron?

Good traders: tdemirji, AbsintheAddict, Blubberguy22, Toa Matoro, SuperSamyon, Bl1ndsn1per, Ericth74,
Clipper423, Oh Freek, Nikkomon, DarthBaggins, quizzcode, Astroking112 & more on my trade list

Last edited by Just_a_Bill; April 22nd, 2015 at 11:38 AM.
Old April 22nd, 2015, 11:53 AM

Johngee has disabled reputation

@Just_a_Bill - "...retconned...?" The spell checker suggested: reckoned, rescanned, and reconnoitered. You've got an interesting hypothesis, but shouldn't the original Hasbro units ( Omnicron Snipers AND Omnicron Repulsors ) have set the precedent for any pattern to be established for Jandar units from Alpha Prime? Any naming conventions implemented by the C3V and/or SoV teams to designate their custom creations are purely a figment of someone's imagination. Perhaps they agreed upon the Greek Alphabet ( I think that was a pretty cool idea ), because of the planetary home of these soulborg thingies is Alpha Prime. According to your supposition wouldn't the original units have to be renamed: Sigmacrons and Rhocrons? Otherwise it's just Greek to me.

&OBTW: @betawolf36 - tanks fur shearing the update.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE

Last edited by Johngee; April 22nd, 2015 at 12:00 PM. Reason: corrected typo's
Old April 22nd, 2015, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngee View Post
You've got an interesting hypothesis, but shouldn't the original Hasbro units ( Omnicron Snipers AND Omnicron Repulsors ) have set the precedent for any pattern to be established for Jandar units from Alpha Prime?
Well sure, but also Zetacron, who is official classic Scape as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngee View Post
Any naming conventions implemented by the C3V and/or SoV teams to designate their custom creations are purely a figment of someone's imagination.
It seems to me that the VC designers are following the pattern of Zetacron quite well. I'm just musing about whether or not anyone realized that it's a pattern based on one classic unit and not three.

But waitaminnit ... a new thought just struck me. What if the Jandar Soulborgs have two different naming rules, depending upon the unit type? You could draw the line either in the hero/squad dimension, or in the unique/uncommon/common dimension; for the moment I will assume the former.

What if ...
  • a hero's name is a Greek letter plus "cron," while
  • a squad's name is a short Latin word plus "cron," followed by a "worker" functional term (like Snipers or Repulsors)?
This would fit all the known unit names, and offer reasonable guidance for future designs. There could be 24 possible names for heroes ...
  • Alphacron
  • Betacron
  • Gammacron
  • Deltacron (proposed VC)
  • Epsiloncron
  • Zetacron (canonical classic Heroscape)
  • Etacron
  • Thetacron
  • Iotacron
  • Kappacron
  • Lambdacron
  • Mucron
  • Nucron
  • Xicron
  • Omicroncron (obviously a poor choice for multiple reasons)
  • Picron
  • Rhocron
  • Sigmacron
  • Taucron
  • Upsiloncron
  • Phicron
  • Chicron
  • Psicron
  • Omegacron (released VC)
... and a less defined but still reasonable-sounding pool of names for squads. Just a few examples:
  • Aeternocron _____ers (aeterno = eternal/everlasting/imperishable; perpetual, w/out start/end)
  • Exactacron _____ers (exacta = exact, accurate)
  • Forticron _____ers (forti = strong, powerful, mighty, vigorous, firm, steadfast, courageous, brave, bold)
  • Omnicron Snipers & Repulsors (canonical classic Heroscape; omni = all, each, every, everything, the whole)
  • Optimacron _____ers (optima = good, honest, brave, noble, kind, pleasant, right, useful; valid; healthy)
  • Primacron _____ers (prima = first, foremost/best, chief, principal)
  • Protocron _____ers (proto = first, foremost; best, top; initial; elementary; prime; original)
  • Sempercron _____ers (semper = always)
  • Solacron _____ers (sola = only, single; lonely; alone, having no companion/friend/protector; unique)
  • Ultimacron _____ers (ultima = far; farther; farthest, latest; last; highest, greatest)
Either of those would provide a framework that fits the four names we know about — assuming Deltacron will be a hero (almost certain), unique (likely), or both.

Old April 22nd, 2015, 07:02 PM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

The Sempercrons would be the Marines of Alpha Prime, eh?
Old April 22nd, 2015, 07:13 PM

IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun

Is it apocryphal that Omnicron = All Time, as in "The Battle of All Time"?
Old April 22nd, 2015, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkins View Post
I must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Porkins again. (Again.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshMEL View Post
Hard to say. It's a cool thought, and it might've been deliberate, but linguistically speaking it's shaky. The "word-forming element" for time is actually chron with an "h" (from the Greek chrónos), and there's a mixing up of two different languages here since omni is Latin. But it may indeed have been intentional, and it's still kinda cool in spite of the language blems.

So maybe all future Jandar Soulborg squads should be called Omnicron SomethingOrOthers and only the heroes should each join a different Greek fraternity. That's probably the most demonstrably Classic-consistent strategy there is.

Old April 22nd, 2015, 10:31 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation

~~~lol~~~

Thanks @Just_a_Bill for this amusing discussion. At first I thought you were just being satirical, but you've obviously given this issue a lot of thought and done your linguistic homework. +1 for @Porkins , who ninja'ed what I was thinking. Now excuse me while I go get a slice of Pi[e]-cron, all this heavy thinking has worked up an appetite for a forbidden dessert.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old April 22nd, 2015, 11:39 PM

IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkins View Post
I must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Porkins again. (Again.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshMEL View Post
Hard to say. It's a cool thought, and it might've been deliberate, but linguistically speaking it's shaky. The "word-forming element" for time is actually chron with an "h" (from the Greek chrónos), and there's a mixing up of two different languages here since omni is Latin. But it may indeed have been intentional, and it's still kinda cool in spite of the language blems.
I try to never mix up my Greek and my Latin roots in one word. That's why I had to sell my television and my automobile.
Old May 5th, 2015, 04:06 AM

Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
  • a squad's name is a short Latin word plus "cron," followed by a "worker" functional term (like Snipers or Repulsors)?
Hum, seeing as the snipers and repulsor has the same "omnicron" prefix, wouldn't the rule be :
  • a squad's name is "omnicron" followed by a "worker" functional term (like Snipers or Repulsors)?
Omnicrons would be the general name to refer to the whole "race" (omnicron, as in : all the "cron", all as in "alpha to omega" ), and some heroes of note had the honnor to be specifically nammed with a greek letter, to distinct them from the mass (while still being part of the omnicron).

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs