Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Notices

Old April 10th, 2015, 12:23 AM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth
Re: Wargrounds of Scape (WoS) - discussion thread

That must mean that the .hsc file in the nomination is incorrect. I worked straight from there.
Old April 10th, 2015, 08:01 AM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomeunleashed View Post
I'm going to try to get updated boards for the three maps up in this thread done in the next couple days.
Awesome.
Old April 10th, 2015, 08:02 AM

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
That must mean that the .hsc file in the nomination is incorrect. I worked straight from there.
...... and the .hsc file comes straight from the cartographer (Robber) himself. Let me check....
Old April 10th, 2015, 10:08 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Well, that topdown does not match the new image, so something is off.
Old April 10th, 2015, 11:44 AM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

The one ice tile needs to be raised 2 levels, I believe. I think that's the only topographical change.
Old May 3rd, 2015, 07:40 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

The Borogoves by @Typhon2222

There are a lot of things I love about this map. Dungeon+TJ is aesthetically one of my favorite combinations (always evokes the Seychelles to me), it's a Typhon map, so of course he got just about as much real estate as possible out of the sets, but it doesn't suffer from any flex, the pathing is excellent, offering about a million ways to dash around the map, keeping the shadow on level 1 makes it worth utilizing...

But (there's always a but), the proximity of the glyphs to the height on the edges of the map were death to me. Outcrops block LoS between most figures parked on the highest point and the glyph, which is good, but other than that I found it too easy to hunker down on one side of the map, especially if you guessed right and aimed for a stronger glyph out of the gate. The long narrow start zones somewhat mitigated the ability to charge all resources to one hill or the other, but it wasn't enough. And while I'm nit-picking I did find the SZs to have an ever-so-slight push to the left.

I generally really enjoyed playing on this map, and I think it's thisclose to being just about perfect, but I vote NO to induct The Borogoves into the Wargrounds of Scape.

130-96-0 (4/13/09-1/14/24)
36-16-0 (10/17/09-12/9/23)
Old August 7th, 2015, 05:49 PM
Online HS Seasons 3 and 7 Champion

Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

A Stone's Throw by darkmage7a

I'll vote NO to induct A Stone's Throw by darmage7a.

At first I was very excited for this map, I think it is a very special map, and the special things were not bad for the balance or the gameplay, but the more I played it the more my hopes diminished.

There is some good things in this map:
-promotes melee
-very few sets needed
- split SZ which adds some originality and the fact that some spaces are way better than other so it disadvantages armies with a lot of figures.

But at feel this map is way too extreme in how it handles the things, having all your opponent's army in range since the first turn, being able to engage your opponent at the first turn, being able to put 4 members of any squad on the max height level in the first turn, this is too extreme.
The first initiative is stronger than ever on this map as well as initiative switches, and is a big deciding factor of who will wins, especially if you bring armies which are really strong on this map.
With some armies you can engage and take height since the first turn and never give it back again to your opponent, unless he gets a huge init switch. Some units break the map, really, like Cathars Spearmen or Vulcanmech Incendiborgs.
If you brought an all-around army and your opponent brought an army shapped for this map you're amost sure to lose. If this map is in the map pool, you have to build your armies around it really, this map takes too much importance I think.

Playing this map I felt like once the game started all you can do, and have to do, is just go forward and try to break the wall in front of you. This map let very few strategicall choices possible, if not none, and it's most of the time a dice feast which will decide the winner. The glyphs don't help much, because they're too easy to contest, and you have to lose an attack to get one, and it happens that firepower is SO important in this map because all your units are in range, and the first to "break the wall" and get the height in the middle wins that you really don't want to lose any firepower at all.

Overall I think A Stone's Throw could be a very interesting map to add into a well thought map pool, with some range friendly maps to compensate and into a fun tournament with restrictions, because some top tier units really breaks the map, but it's a too dangerous map in my opinion to be added in WoS.

Old August 8th, 2015, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomeunleashed View Post
I'm going to try to get updated boards for the three maps up in this thread done in the next couple days.
@awesomeunleashed , huge belated thanks. The updated board for Platypus looks fantastic.
Old August 8th, 2015, 04:26 PM

UPDATE

(yes votes, no votes)

Accepted Maps

REMAINS OF CLIONESIA by tannergx (nomination finalized on 9/11/14)
- dok, kevindola, Typhon2222, Foudzing, Kinseth

WYRMWALK by Panopticon (nomination finalized on 10/7/14)
- dok, Foudzing, Kinseth, Typhon2222

Maps Under Review

PLATYPUS by Robber (nomination finalized on 5/11/15)

A STONE'S THROW by darkmage7a
- Foudzing

MARSH THICKET by Joseph Sweeney
- Foudzing

Previously Reviewed Maps

MAYBERRY by mad_wookie (nomination finalized on 9/11/14)
- kevindola, Foudzing, Typhon2222, Bengi

CAGE MATCH by Dignan (nomination finalized on 9/12/14)
- Foudzing, dok

CALIDA by Superfrog (nomination finalized on 11/13/14)
- dok, Foudzing

THE BOROGOVES by Typhon2222 (nomination finalized on 1/19/15)
- Foudzing, Killometer
Old August 9th, 2015, 03:53 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Second post updated. Thanks, Typhon.

Just a reminder to readers on how this works - anyone can nominate a map, even if a top-down image for online play has not been made for it. However, until a top-down is completed, the 4-month timer does not start. So of the three maps currently under review, only Platypus is "on the clock", and guaranteed to be reviewed one way or the other by mid-September.
Old August 10th, 2015, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Second post updated. Thanks, Typhon.

Just a reminder to readers on how this works - anyone can nominate a map, even if a top-down image for online play has not been made for it. However, until a top-down is completed, the 4-month timer does not start. So of the three maps currently under review, only Platypus is "on the clock", and guaranteed to be reviewed one way or the other by mid-September.
Thanks for the reminder/clarification to all, dok.

And in case anybody's wondering "Fine, but who creates the top-down?!", the answer is: usually one of us, or someone associated with OHS -- most often, the awesome awesomeunleashed.
Old August 10th, 2015, 02:40 AM

Review: Robber's Platypus (PDF here)

I'm a big fan of much of Robber's work, and Platypus, his newest major offering, doesn't disappoint. This is the newest version of the map (he's tweaked it several times), and it's got lots to like. To recycle my own awful joke: the ice on it isn't slippery, but the whole thing is slick (HAR HAR HAR).

I've played numerous games (roughly twelve of so) on this map, and like almost everything about it. One's first impression is likely to be "It looks cool!" And that's right on: it DOES look cool. Aesthetically it's a delight, and quite unusual in its dark-green-meets-icy-white palette. There aren't many maps out there which combine swamp and jungle with tundra, and the resulting 'wintergreen' effect is striking. As everybody knows, aesthetics are a huge factor for me, and this thing is a looker.

But it's not merely a looker. It also plays really well. The map's defining feature -- the thing that sets it apart from most -- are its many many hexes at top height (in this case, level 3). There are, in total, a whopping eighteen (!) hexes at top level. Were these mostly contiguous, forming a single huge plateau or two, the result would be tedious battle on a big flat mesa. The other extreme -- scattering isolated hillocks out everywhere across the map, yielding endless bumpiness and no central focus -- would be just as bad. Robber does a marvelous job here of navigating between these extremes: those eighteen hexes are broken up into six clumps, or rather, ribbons, and spread out with precision around the LoS-blockers. The resulting interplay, between longish ribbons of top-level height, almost but never quite reaching each other, wrapping around yet punctuated by well-placed glaciers, produces dynamic results.

It's also quite friendly to melee, with the glaciers effectively limiting firing arcs and the jungle plants helping advancing units. The foliage may not be quite as optimally placed as the glaciers are -- the usefulness of the two palms is somewhat reduced by the adjacent blue water tiles -- but they still provide useful defensive bonuses.

The paths between the glaciers themselves are relatively narrow, which means it's easy for Rats and other blockers to temporarily pin advancing units. But because the heights are ribbons, not isolated perches, they don't usually stay pinned for long: it's relatively easy to pinwheel around blocking units and hop up to even level. The lack of isolated perches also leaves no particularly alluring place for Raelin to set up shop.

The area around the glyphs is, admittedly, cramped, and can turn into a grindfest. But setting up camp at the glyphs gives one little command over the rest of the board. A smart enemy can exploit this, filtering through the middle and swinging around from the back.

In short, I find Platypus to be a well-balanced map, offering fluid play, interesting decisions, and lovely aesthetics. And to top it all off, it's got a nice compact footprint, making it well suited for the back of the car and the tournament table.

I vote YES to induct PLATYPUS by Robber into the Wargrounds of Scape.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios