Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations
Comic Hero Custom Creations Any comic book customs and the discussions surrounding them

Old June 1st, 2010, 01:46 AM

Scape Goes Up to 11! is surprisingly tart
SGUT11!'s Comic Customs (Nimrod)

I've had a bash at Nimrod the super sentinel from the Marvel universe. Partly because I remember seeing him a looong time ago in a comic, and liked the fact that he could give several heroes a run for their money, but mostly because I have the clix model, and he's pink and ridiculous looking.

I'm a little sketchy on his abilities to be honest, but this is as close as I feel I can get him without further input.

Wiki Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nimrod_%28comics%29

Nimrod
Marvel

Android
Unique Hero
Hunter
Relentless

Large 6

Life 6

Move 7
Range 7
Attack 4
Defence 6

Anti-Mutant Double Attack

When Nimrod attacks, he may attack one additional time. When Nimrod attacks with Anti-Mutant Double Attack, if the targeted figure is a Mutant, add 1 to Nimrod's attack dice for each mutant controlled by your enemy within 2 clear sight spaces of Nimrod. Nimrod cannot attack the same figure more than once.

Phasing

Whenever Nimrod is attacked and one or more skulls are rolled, roll a d20. If you roll 1-12, roll defence dice normally. If you roll 13 or higher, ignore all damage that would be inflicted by the attack. If you roll a 17 or higher, Nimrod may also immediately Phase up to 4 spaces. Instead of moving normally, you may place Nimrod on any empty space no more than 10 levels below Nimrod's base, and no more than 10 levels higher than Nimrod's height. If Nimrod is engaged when Phasing is activated he will not take any leaving engagement attacks.

Pulse Nova Special Attack

Range 2. Attack 4.
All figures within two clear sight spaces of Nimrod are affected by Pulse Nova Special Attack. Roll attack dice once for all affected figures. Each figure rolls defence separately.

Points 390

Super Strength

I copied his Species/Type/Personality config from the C3G Sentinels, thanks, and I hope nobody minds.

I've play-tested him a few times and he seems to do pretty well. A couple of things I have gone back and forth on:
  • Should his double attack be limited to one attack per figure? In play-testing it means that opposing groups get the chance to tie him up if they can engage him with a solid figure.
  • Should his normal attack value be slightly higher? I have deliberately kept it low to try and encourage people to get Nimrod in amongst enemy Mutants - the more there are close by, the more powerful he becomes.
  • Should he be able to Phase whenever he makes his roll, not just on a 17+?
Hopefully this will generate a bit of feedback, at which point I plan to go ahead and make a card for him, incorporating said feedback. Opinions?

Thanks for reading!

Great Trades With: 'Scaper94, Sir Galahad, Gulp

Last edited by Scape Goes Up to 11!; June 1st, 2010 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Added one more bullet point for consideration.
Old June 1st, 2010, 02:02 AM

Adam Souza wears ripped pants of awesomeness Adam Souza wears ripped pants of awesomeness Adam Souza wears ripped pants of awesomeness Adam Souza wears ripped pants of awesomeness Adam Souza wears ripped pants of awesomeness Adam Souza wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: SGUT11!'s Comic Customs (Nimrod)

Great 1st custom !!

I would have made Anti Mutant Double Attack a Special Attack. It has so much going on it's not a normal attack anymore. If you do that, you could probably lower his range to 1 as well.

ANTI-MUTANT SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 7 Damage 4+special
When Nimrod attacks with Anti-Mutant Double Attack, if the targeted figure is a Mutant, add 1 to Nimrod's attack dice for each mutant controlled by your enemy within 2 clear sight spaces of Nimrod. When Nimrod attacks with Anti-Mutant Special Attack, he may attack one additional time. Nimrod cannot attack the same figure more than once.
Old June 1st, 2010, 01:50 PM

Thanks for the input. I like your idea, range 1, atach range only to his special attack.. it makes things a little tidier.

I got rid of the other special attack, and reverted to another power I used in an earlier version - making him more of an anti-mutant figure (Which is his role in the comic universe) and upped his normal attack by one. I've tested him a few times against ~ 400 points worth of various enemies, and his cost seems about right to me.

Here's an updated version. Again, feedback much appreciated.

Nimrod V2
Marvel

Android
Unique Hero
Hunter
Relentless

Large 6

Life 6

Move 7
Range 1
Attack 5
Defence 6

Anti-Mutant Special Attack

Range 7. Attack 4 +Special.
When Nimrod attacks with Anti-Mutant Special Attack, if the targeted figure is a Mutant, add 1 to Nimrod's attack dice for each mutant controlled by your enemy within 2 clear sight spaces of Nimrod. When Nimrod attacks using Anti-Mutant Special Attack, he may attack one additional time. Nimrod cannot attack the same figure more than once.

Phasing

Whenever Nimrod is attacked and one or more skulls are rolled, roll a d20. If you roll 1-12, roll defence dice normally. If you roll 13 or higher, ignore all damage that would be inflicted by the attack. If you roll a 17 or higher, Nimrod may also immediately Phase up to 4 spaces. Instead of moving normally, you may place Nimrod on any empty space no more than 10 levels below Nimrod's base, and no more than 10 levels higher than Nimrod's height. If Nimrod is engaged when Phasing is activated he will not take any leaving engagement attacks.

Mutant Neutralisation

All opposing Mutant figures within 2 clear sight spaces of Nimrod roll 1 less attack dice.

Points 390

Super Strength

Old June 1st, 2010, 07:34 PM
Business Casual

SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scape Goes Up to 11! View Post
Here's an updated version. Again, feedback much appreciated.

Nimrod V2
Marvel

Android
Unique Hero
Hunter
Relentless

Large 6

Life 6

Move 7
Range 1
Attack 5
Defence 6

Anti-Mutant Special Attack

Range 7. Attack 4 +Special.
When Nimrod attacks with Anti-Mutant Special Attack, if the targeted figure is a Mutant, add 1 to Nimrod's attack dice for each mutant controlled by your enemy within 2 clear sight spaces of Nimrod. When Nimrod attacks using Anti-Mutant Special Attack, he may attack one additional time. Nimrod cannot attack the same figure more than once.
Based on the name alone, it sounds like this SA should only be able to be used against Mutants, al a Ana Karithon.

How about:

ANTI-MUTANT SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 5. Attack 4 + Special.
Anti-Mutant Special Attack can be used to attack only Mutant figures. You may add 1 attack die for each opponent's Mutant figure within two clear sight spaces of Nimrod, up to a maximum of 3 additional dice. When Nimrod attacks using Anti-Mutant Special Attack, he may attack one additional time. Nimrod cannot attack the same figure more than once.

Quote:
Phasinge

Whenever Nimrod is attacked and at least one or more skulls are is rolled, roll a d20 the 20-sided die. If you roll 1-12, roll defence dice normally. If you roll a 13 or higher, ignore all damage that would be inflicted by the attack. If you roll a 17 or higher, Nimrod may also immediately Phase up to 4 spaces. Instead of moving normally, you may place Nimrod on any empty space no more than 10 levels below Nimrod's base, and no more than 10 levels higher than Nimrod's height. If Nimrod is engaged when he begins to Phase,ing is activated he will not take any leaving engagement attacks.
This is really two different powers in one, which makes it overly complicated. First there is a defensive power, then there is a movement power. See Spiderman for how this kind of thing has been handled before.

Quote:
Mutant Neutralisation

All opposing Mutant figures within 2 clear sight spaces of Nimrod roll 1 less attack dice.

Points 390

Super Strength
The C3G's Darkseid has a reduction in attack dice and defense dice for adjacent figures only, and people often think he is underscosted at 380. You're already getting additional attack dice against these mutants and now they get to throw fewer back? OUCH!

With the SS symbol and the splitting of Phase into its separate parts, you have 5 powers on the card, which is a lot.

I'd recommend paring at least one down.

Just my

I know that I do not know.
C3G INDEX - SSE 92 - JSA GENERATIONS
Old June 1st, 2010, 10:28 PM

Thanks for the feedback, most appreciated. I'm going to have to ponder it for a while.

I agree that his powers are somewhat 'dense' as far as wording and functionality are concerned... I'm trying to make him an anti-mutant powerhouse, as this is his role in comics, and therefore packing a lot into relatively few powers.

I do worry that by making his SA useful against only mutants, it renders him pretty much toothless when facing other enemy types, especially given his cost? After all, he won't get his deadly anti-mutant combo against all figures: Probably less than half of all super-figs are mutants, when you figure C3G stuff into the equation (which I'd like him to be compatible with ).

The dangerous combination of his powers against mutant types was intentional, but maybe it is a little over-powered

I've been testing him against mutant groups, non-mutant groups and mixed groups, and his current cost seems about right... But, there are still changes to be made.

Maybe I should have chosen a cheaper/weaker figure to begin with?

Old June 1st, 2010, 10:42 PM
Business Casual

SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth

Normal Attack 5 and Defense 6 certainly does not make him a wimp. If his specialty is going after mutants, that's where I was getting the special attack from. He certainly could hold his own against some of the C3G's non-mutant heroes. Besides, he should be a counter to something in the game (mutants) and there should be counters to him in the game (heavy hitting non-mutants).

I know that I do not know.
C3G INDEX - SSE 92 - JSA GENERATIONS
Old June 2nd, 2010, 12:13 PM

Felindar knows what's in an order marker Felindar knows what's in an order marker Felindar knows what's in an order marker

Gosh Adam I can't possibly imajine why you would like the Future sentinel custom
</IMG>

God makes us strong for a little while so we can defend the weak.
DnD Customs
Comics Customs
Custom Terain
TREKSCAPE
Old June 2nd, 2010, 02:19 PM

Adam Souza wears ripped pants of awesomeness Adam Souza wears ripped pants of awesomeness Adam Souza wears ripped pants of awesomeness Adam Souza wears ripped pants of awesomeness Adam Souza wears ripped pants of awesomeness Adam Souza wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felindar View Post
Gosh Adam I can't possibly imajine why you would like the Future sentinel custom
Who me ? Nah, couldn't be

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGUTT11
The dangerous combination of his powers against mutant types was intentional, but maybe it is a little over-powered
It's is a bit much, but I didn't know if you were shooting for an "Epic" villain. You could tone him downa bit and he'd still be quite draftable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod Wiki Page
Nimrod is capable of projecting energy blasts, magnetic energy to levitate material, create force fields, and can teleport. Apparently, Nimrod has a weakness for elemental attacks such as lightning or extreme cold.
I think you've attached to many modifiers for surrounding mutants. I don't recall anywhere in the fiction where he would do more damage because of mutant proximity. The area based reduction power is really powerful in scape as well.

How about keeping that theme with a less devastating mechanic, and give mutants one less defense die to resist the ranged special attack ?

Add pulse Nova back instead of Neutralization with a range of 1 and the 1 less defense die for mutants ?
Old June 2nd, 2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Souza View Post
It's is a bit much, but I didn't know if you were shooting for an "Epic" villain. You could tone him down a bit and he'd still be quite draftable.
Yes, I was initially going for an epic villain - a figure that could give a small selection of X-men a real run for their money, all on his own. A tenacious and unstoppable being, constructed solely to take them down.

Quote:
I think you've attached to many modifiers for surrounding mutants. I don't recall anywhere in the fiction where he would do more damage because of mutant proximity. The area based reduction power is really powerful in scape as well.
If you look on the same wiki page, just above the line you've quoted, this is written:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod Wiki Page
Nimrod contains highly advanced computer systems as well as scanning devices that make it possible for him to determine whether a human being is a superhuman or not; if they are, he can determine the nature of their superhuman abilities. Like present day Sentinels, Nimrod can draw upon devices and systems within his robotic body in order to cope with or neutralize an opponent's superhuman power once he has determined the nature of that power.
This seems a good reason to have him influence the power levels of any mutant foes that got near him?

I've tried to construct him in a way that would encourage moving him in close to his mutant enemies, with them attempting to keep reasonable distance if they are to stand a chance (Which is made more difficult due to the fact that he has a small chance to 'Phase' right back into the thick of it again, if he makes his throw. That was the core of my thinking.

I'm not sure I've actually achieved that, now I look back at him in his present form...

Quote:
How about keeping that theme with a less devastating mechanic, and give mutants one less defense die to resist the ranged special attack ?

Add pulse Nova back instead of Neutralization with a range of 1 and the 1 less defense die for mutants ?
I like your suggestions. I think I'm going to look at my original brief and have a bit of a re-think... This is fun

Last edited by Scape Goes Up to 11!; June 2nd, 2010 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Grammar

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations