Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con
Gen Con Anything and everything that has to do with Gencon!

Notices

Old May 6th, 2019, 10:39 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: Gen Con 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider30 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dok
the process of organizing and participating in planning discussions is really quite opaque; I don't think it's clear to most people how they would get involved.
I would disagree with the above statement. Each year there is a post GenCon thread where people can offer their feedback. Last year there were 7 posts and one of those was about Hendal recklessly driving his cart down the street to his hotel...my point is the outlet for input is there and has been there for years. I can 100% assure everyone that thread does get read, as does pretty much any other thread having to do with GenCon.

Which is not to say that every concern will be answered, dealt with, changed, accommodated, etc. They get read, that's the guarantee, nothing more.
While you say everything gets read, nearly all the discussion of feedback takes place behind closed doors. That's your prerogative as organizers, but it's what I mean by things being opaque. At times I've given specific feedback or suggestions or offered to contribute in a variety of ways, often via private conversations or PMs, and had very little sense of whether any of it was getting any consideration or discussion at all. (In retrospect, given some of what I've heard, I may have been reaching out to the wrong people, but it's water under the bridge.)

None of this is universal - I've had great, productive two-way communications with Gencon organizers, both in this year and in past years.

Additionally, nearly all feedback is post-hoc. "I don't like X event"... after the events are posted. Or this is a bad map for Gencon... after Gencon ends, or after maps are posted. Again, it's your prerogative as organizers to post events/maps and take feedback later, but a more transparent approach would be to post prospective events/maps and then take feedback ahead of time... and ignore it if you like, but then you at least have the chance to respond to feedback you agree with.

Again, none of this should be taken to mean that I hate the 2019 events, or that I think y'all are doing a crappy job. I'm just explaining what I mean when I call the decision process "opaque".
Old May 7th, 2019, 10:02 AM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider30 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dok
the process of organizing and participating in planning discussions is really quite opaque; I don't think it's clear to most people how they would get involved.
I would disagree with the above statement. Each year there is a post GenCon thread where people can offer their feedback. Last year there were 7 posts and one of those was about Hendal recklessly driving his cart down the street to his hotel...my point is the outlet for input is there and has been there for years. I can 100% assure everyone that thread does get read, as does pretty much any other thread having to do with GenCon.

Which is not to say that every concern will be answered, dealt with, changed, accommodated, etc. They get read, that's the guarantee, nothing more.
While you say everything gets read, nearly all the discussion of feedback takes place behind closed doors. That's your prerogative as organizers, but it's what I mean by things being opaque. At times I've given specific feedback or suggestions or offered to contribute in a variety of ways, often via private conversations or PMs, and had very little sense of whether any of it was getting any consideration or discussion at all. (In retrospect, given some of what I've heard, I may have been reaching out to the wrong people, but it's water under the bridge.)

None of this is universal - I've had great, productive two-way communications with Gencon organizers, both in this year and in past years.

Additionally, nearly all feedback is post-hoc. "I don't like X event"... after the events are posted. Or this is a bad map for Gencon... after Gencon ends, or after maps are posted. Again, it's your prerogative as organizers to post events/maps and take feedback later, but a more transparent approach would be to post prospective events/maps and then take feedback ahead of time... and ignore it if you like, but then you at least have the chance to respond to feedback you agree with.

Again, none of this should be taken to mean that I hate the 2019 events, or that I think y'all are doing a crappy job. I'm just explaining what I mean when I call the decision process "opaque".
Thanks for the 4 paragraph definition of opaque. I was a little confused, but you cleared that right up.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G

Last edited by Matthias Maccabeus; May 7th, 2019 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Awaiting a definition on what confused means...
Old May 7th, 2019, 10:19 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

I am here for you, brother.
Old June 18th, 2019, 07:14 PM
Sleeps with Monkeys

Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness

getting so excited, So SO Excited - not that I have picked armies or any thing smart like that, but can not wait to play HS for 3 1/5 days

Heroscape - The Game I Have Waited My Whole Life For!
GenCon - a must for any true Scaper!
Old June 19th, 2019, 09:21 AM
Huge Fanboy

Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendal View Post
getting so excited, So SO Excited - not that I have picked armies or any thing smart like that, but can not wait to play HS for 3 1/5 days

NERD

GAME OVER Moon Pie!
Old June 22nd, 2019, 08:56 AM
Sleeps with Monkeys

Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness

why yes I am a nerd, I have already made a lot of glass paper weights and this year, if you beat me in a game, and your cool, you get to pick one. they will say " You crushed Hendal. GC 2019 ", so yea, plus a giant box of games ( way better games then last year ) as prizes also.

Heroscape - The Game I Have Waited My Whole Life For!
GenCon - a must for any true Scaper!
Old June 22nd, 2019, 07:21 PM
Huge Fanboy

Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I'm requesting more of that killer coffee you brought a few years back

GAME OVER Moon Pie!
Old June 24th, 2019, 05:18 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2019 & The Doom of Man

infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Gencon's site isn't allowing me to sign up for open play because it say it conflicts with Cluster Draft. I bought generics for open play instead, but I want to officially sign up for the event. I know it looks better for us when event are purchased at a faster rate.

My Gencon Schedule:

Thursday
Morning: Dealer Hall/maybe Flex
4:00 pm Cluster Draft
8:00 pm Open Play

Friday
10:00 am HoB Uniques
3:00 pm Main Event

Friday
10:00 am Hopefully Day 2 if not Assassins Creed or Speed Scape
3:00 pm GM'inng General Wars Alliances

Sunday
10:00 am Team Up
Old June 24th, 2019, 01:05 PM
GenCon General Wars & DW9K Jumpstart Champ 2008

lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by infectedsloth View Post
My Gencon Schedule:

Thursday
Morning: Dealer Hall/maybe Flex
4:00 pm Cluster Draft
8:00 pm Open Play

Friday
10:00 am HoB Uniques
3:00 pm Main Event

Friday
10:00 am Hopefully Day 2 if not Assassins Creed or Speed Scape
3:00 pm GM'inng General Wars Alliances

Sunday
10:00 am Team Up
The rest of your crew needs to buy their tickets too!
Old June 24th, 2019, 01:18 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Yes! The faster tickets are sold the better for 'Scape at GenCon.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old June 28th, 2019, 06:27 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

How many chainfighters is Matthias bringing this year?
Or is it time for the Roman Archers to shine?
Will Matthias finally bring back his knights?
Or is there something even more sinister coming from his grueling day after day play testing routine?
Or is he even bothering to play in the Main Event since he already won it with Hatamoto? You can’t really go up from there.
Is he finally going to win a game in the team tourney?
Will he being playing all range this year because melee is too powerful now?
Will his mom jokes be better than Raider30s?
Is Matthias still gloating about beating dok twice last year?

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G

Last edited by Matthias Maccabeus; June 28th, 2019 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Inquiring minds want to know
Old June 28th, 2019, 06:45 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

I'll be there Saturday and Sunday. Playing X-wing on Saturday, but I plan to swing around and see you guys on Sunday.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con