Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations > C3G SuperScape > C3G Legacy
C3G Legacy Archive of all the original discussions and workshops from the first stage of C3G.

Notices

Old July 13th, 2019, 05:16 PM
Just A Head

MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Out-there Heaven (Movie, TV, and Video Game Characters)

I honestly just disagree. I think Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Alien, Predator, and especially the Slashers have all translated very well even though they come from universes with different "rules" than Marvel or DC. I'm hoping the same can be done with Doctor Who too.

Maybe a separate ruleset could work better to represent these characters, but that feels pretty outside the scope of what C3G is and does. I think it's perfectly possible to translate these guys who fly around and punch and shoot lasers into our already existing game about guys who fly around and punch and shoot lasers, you know? The rules of the Halloween universe are pretty different than the rules of the DC universe, but we didn't need to make a separate project and ruleset to put Michael Myers in the game. Everything needed to create that was able to fit on his card.

Anyways, speaking of people with too many powers;
Quote:

NAME = MAKUTA
SECRET IDENTITY = TERIDAX

SPECIES = MAKUTA
UNIQUENESS = EVENT HERO
CLASS = MASTERMIND
PERSONALITY = CUNNING

SIZE/HEIGHT = LARGE ?

LIFE = 8

MOVE = 5
RANGE = 5
ATTACK = 6
DEFENSE = 6

POINTS = ???

SHADOWY MANIPULATIONS
After revealing an Order Marker on this card and before taking a turn with Makuta, you may choose a Common or Unique Hero on the battlefield and roll the 20-sided die. If the chosen figure is an opponent’s figure, subtract 1 from your roll for each of that opponent’s figures within clear sight of the chosen figure. If you rolled 11 or higher or if the chosen figure is a [Rahkshi], you may take temporary control of that Hero and immediately take a turn with that Hero. At the end of the turn, control of the Hero returns to the player who controlled the Hero before the Shadowy Manipulation. All Order Markers that were on the chosen Hero's card will stay on the card. You may then use Shadowy Manipulations 1 additional time. If you do, Makuta may not move or attack this turn.

MASK OF SHADOWS
All figures engaged with Makuta without the Sensory Assault or Mask of Light special powers are not considered within clear sight of any figures that are friendly to them.

SUPERSTRENGTH
Makuta is the big bad of the Bionicle universe. He's basically the Devil who decided he wanted to usurp God.

I do feel like something is missing here. Makuta is a shapeshifter who takes on a ton of different forms over the series. Even once he's "killed" he sticks around in a gaseous form that can possess things. I guess I feel like that "impossible to kill" feeling is pretty important to his character but I don't really know how to represent it. I thought about him having some effect after he's been destroyed but I couldn't think of a good effect to tie to it.
Old July 13th, 2019, 05:26 PM
Symbiotic

Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death!

Shadowy Manipulations is interesting, but I feel like outright control in a combat situation isn't usually his thing?

Agreed that his persistence/unkillability is important, but difficult to represent.... maybe some kind of antidermis glyph that sticks around after destruction? Or maybe even let him still get OMs and use Shadowy Manipulations after he's destroyed? Hell, maybe make it a harder-to-hit roll and give it a bonus after he's destroyed, so it becomes more of a thing when he's sidelined rather than when he's at full health and duking it out with people.

Combining those ideas, maybe have an antidermis glyph that bestows a weak-minded type effect in (and maybe also an Antagonizing Presence kind of effect?) in an aura like a gas glyph that he drops when he dies, and then work it so he can use Shadowy Manipulations from beyond the grave.
Old July 13th, 2019, 05:32 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNobody View Post
I honestly just disagree. I think Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Alien, Predator, and especially the Slashers have all translated very well even though they come from universes with different "rules" than Marvel or DC. I'm hoping the same can be done with Doctor Who too.
I agree - the Heroscape ruleset wasn't designed for Superheroes either, and to that we've added... what? Secret Identities, Event Heroes, Equipment Glyphs and some optional rules? (Note... optional.) Heroscape actually has a deliberately broad and open system and I think that the non-superhero characters have translated beautifully. I've done a lot of characters for Superscape in my free time as personal customs, from 40k to The Fellowship of the Ring to gods and more, and they've translated really well. I don't think our system is actually restrictive.
I'm not opposed to new rule-sets to help new universes work - I'm going to do it with my personal stuff at some point - but I'm not fully convinced it's needed.

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old July 13th, 2019, 05:42 PM
Just A Head

MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Shadowy Manipulations is interesting, but I feel like outright control in a combat situation isn't usually his thing?

Agreed that his persistence/unkillability is important, but difficult to represent.... maybe some kind of antidermis glyph that sticks around after destruction? Or maybe even let him still get OMs and use Shadowy Manipulations after he's destroyed? Hell, maybe make it a harder-to-hit roll and give it a bonus after he's destroyed, so it becomes more of a thing when he's sidelined rather than when he's at full health and duking it out with people.

Combining those ideas, maybe have an antidermis glyph that bestows a weak-minded type effect in (and maybe also an Antagonizing Presence kind of effect?) in an aura like a gas glyph that he drops when he dies, and then work it so he can use Shadowy Manipulations from beyond the grave.
That could be pretty interesting.

When I was writing up Shadowy Manipulations I was thinking of those times he talked Takua and Matoro, two of the goodest boys in all the series, into doing things for him. He also has some sort of vague emotional manipulation powers. I can’t see him making Kopaka turn around and hit Gali in the face, but if someone is off isolated in a corner it seems like he has a lot more power over them.
Old July 13th, 2019, 05:46 PM
Symbiotic

Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death!

Yeah, he's definitely the manipulative type and I think it works to an extent... but like you say, it's a little harder to buy in the combat context and I think that's what it would amount to a lot of the time.

I could also see doing something like.... the take-control turn is easier to get, but he can't attack during the turn. So he can manipulate a Toa into doing something disadvantageous (handing over a glyph or moving away from a strategic position), but not straight-up attacking their teammates. Then maybe lift that no-attack restriction when you're in the post-destruction 'infecting people with my essence' phase.
Old July 13th, 2019, 06:19 PM
Archie

Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth

I like Shadowy Manipulations and Ronin's tweak sounds good. Manipulation is Makuta's game.

My idea for Mask of Shadows was a negative-defense aura, but have it not affect fearless figures (and make Takanuva fearless). He's supposed to be paralyzingly terrifying, after all. The current version is pretty unique though and I like it too.
Old July 13th, 2019, 06:26 PM
Symbiotic

Here's my first instinct on how I would tweak the initial idea, I guess...

Quote:
INFECTIOUS ESSENCE
If Makuta is destroyed, you may still reveal Order Markers on this card and use Makuta's Shadowy Manipulations special power.

SHADOWY MANIPULATIONS
After revealing an Order Marker on this card and before taking a turn with Makuta, you may choose a Common or Unique Hero on the battlefield and roll the 20-sided die. If the chosen Hero is an opponent’s Hero, subtract 1 from your roll for each of that opponent’s figures within clear sight of the chosen Hero. If you roll 8 or higher, you may take temporary control of that Hero and immediately take a turn with that Hero. You may not attack during this turn, unless Makuta is destroyed. At the end of the turn, control of the Hero returns to the player who controlled the Hero before the Shadowy Manipulation. All Order Markers that were on the chosen Hero's card will stay on the card.

MASK OF SHADOWS
All figures engaged with Makuta without the Sensory Assault special power are not considered within clear sight of any figures that are friendly to them.
1. Dropped the Rahkshi stuff because it seems to me like Makuta is more important than them and I wouldn't want him to need them to work (particularly in the context of Bionicle likely getting a limited run in C3G rather than a deep-dive approach). Also they don't have that much going on and I'd think they would need some kind of power getting at the nature of the Kraata and subservience to Makuta. I could be swayed on this by the right Rahkshi write-up, of course.

2. I think Takanuva would want Sensory Assault, right? I feel like he should get the usual 'light guy' keyword in order to interact normally with all the various light powers. It makes him mix in a little more easily.

3. Took a stab at the sort of thing I just suggested with him getting more manipulative after death... I think the straight-up 'antidermis glyph' stuff would probably be a bit too heavy and hardware-intensive.

Pretty small tweaks, though... I like this direction a lot. The Mask-Manipulations interplay is cool and it gives him some mechanical synergy with a few of the other shadow types, which is a great touch.

The left-box looks good to me, with the possible exception of the Makuta species... he's sort of hard to tag, species-wise, since he's not a proper cyborg anymore but android has a really wrong texture. I think most of the other Makutas would probably make sense as cyborgs, though? Maybe just 'Shadow' or 'Energy' or 'Entity' for species?

He's also sort of straddling the Event/Unique line... I'd be kind of tempted to go Unique for EQ Glyphs. There are enough MacGuffins in the Bionicle Universe that it feels a little off for him to not be able to scoop any up.
Old July 13th, 2019, 06:43 PM
Just A Head

I like it! I was actually just thinking the same thing in that we could probably just offload a "Servant of Makuta" power onto the Rahkshi. My only thought is that it would be nice to find a way for him to get full turns with Rahi and other "stupid" creatures. He absolutely can and did get them to attack people. Maybe just allow him to take full turns with Weak-Minded figures?

Agreed on Takanuva. I didn't think about the keyword stuff.

I don't know what the heck to do for species, but yeah Entity would work. I would be hesitant on Energy just because of potentially getting roped into weird stuff in the future, but all powers like that so far reference "Energy Constructs" so maybe that just isn't a problem.

Good point on Unique/Event.
Old July 13th, 2019, 07:29 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Megatron and Optimus Prime are a ton of fun! I don’t feel they were constrained by being part of C3G at all. Maybe Soundwarp would disagree, though.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old July 13th, 2019, 08:26 PM
Symbiotic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNobody View Post
I like it! I was actually just thinking the same thing in that we could probably just offload a "Servant of Makuta" power onto the Rahkshi. My only thought is that it would be nice to find a way for him to get full turns with Rahi and other "stupid" creatures. He absolutely can and did get them to attack people. Maybe just allow him to take full turns with Weak-Minded figures?

Agreed on Takanuva. I didn't think about the keyword stuff.

I don't know what the heck to do for species, but yeah Entity would work. I would be hesitant on Energy just because of potentially getting roped into weird stuff in the future, but all powers like that so far reference "Energy Constructs" so maybe that just isn't a problem.

Good point on Unique/Event.
I could see a carve-out for full turns for Weak-Minded figures for sure. That's a good thought.
Old July 13th, 2019, 09:13 PM
A Jacquee in Disguise?

Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
Megatron and Optimus Prime are a ton of fun! I don’t feel they were constrained by being part of C3G at all. Maybe Soundwarp would disagree, though.
No I wouldn’t, I think they’re just fine. I disagree with the idea that you need separate systems for every property though, or the idea that C3G is hyper-tuned to work for Superheroes exclusively.

My Repaints and Mods: Updated 1-13
My Custom Cards: Updated 4-15
My Custom Superheroes: Updated 1-13
My figure images for online games:
Alliance figures, Utgar figures
My Etsy Store
Old July 13th, 2019, 09:18 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwarp SG-1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
No I wouldn’t, I think they’re just fine. I disagree with the idea that you need separate systems for every property though, or the idea that C3G is hyper-tuned to work for Superheroes exclusively.
We're on the same page, then. Might be a case of 4 heads being better than one!

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations > C3G SuperScape > C3G Legacy