Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Old October 20th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Online HS Season 1 Champion & 'scape's foremost 'scapegoat

Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: The Elementals Strategy and Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwDriver View Post
@Filthy the Clown
But doesn't every high defense figure's bane a whiff. Q9, the Fen Hydra, the Iron Golem, DW9K, or etc., everyone going against these guys are depending on whiffs to defeat them. It's like the reverse of hunting Isamu, eliminating him depends on him having a poor D20 roll. Yet so often we heard about how elusive he had become. We may use have use the strategy or the better army to dictate the game but we all know that luck can still defeat us.
Very true, but when it comes to luck, I prefer to have a high-priced hero that can withstand a common, 3-wound attack. Don't get me wrong: I like Brunak and use him often (usually carrying Raelin around, both to augment his defense, and passively use Raelin to augment frontline troops as well). However, in the case of Kurrok/Elementals: investing in Brunak leaves you with 110-less points worth of elementals, for a hero that can potentially be killed with one attack of strength 3. I don't like those odds in that build.
Old October 20th, 2010, 12:34 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

screwDriver, I'm making a point of disagreeing not simply because you brought it up, but because it's become a common pattern I've seen in tournament play. To my knowledge, people have played 6+ Fire elementals at a tournament only six times so far. Three of those times, they were played alongside lava-immune heroes. It's probably worth noting that the three armies that didn't have lava-immune heroes had winning records, and the three that did, didn't.*

You're right, of course, that all high-defense figures can whiff, and that he has a chance to take down some ranged figures. My point is simply that he's not as strong of an investment as more elementals, or as one of the other figures I've mentioned. As you say, it's all about playing the odds, and those other options are going to tilt matchups in your favor more consistently.

* I'm not positive retlaw had a losing record with Brunak/Iron Golem/Kurrok/Fire Elementals at GenCon, but I think he told me he did.
Old October 20th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Nostradumbass

DrAwsm is surprisingly tart

I hope to get a pack or two of the Elementals eventually. I already have Kurrok, but I haven't used him once because I don't have any elementals. Would just two of each elemental be alright if I use some ranged support? I haven't had any playtime with them, nor have I read any reports on them. The only time I saw any elementals used was in Legoboy and Captain Canuck's D&D battle, but even then they didn't do much.
Old October 20th, 2010, 09:57 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAwsm View Post
I hope to get a pack or two of the Elementals eventually. I already have Kurrok, but I haven't used him once because I don't have any elementals. Would just two of each elemental be alright if I use some ranged support? I haven't had any playtime with them, nor have I read any reports on them. The only time I saw any elementals used was in Legoboy and Captain Canuck's D&D battle, but even then they didn't do much.
Two of each is fine. That many plus Kurrok is already 380 points.
That only leaves you 70-220 points in a 400-600 point army.

Old October 20th, 2010, 11:37 PM

screwDriver knows what's in an order marker screwDriver knows what's in an order marker screwDriver knows what's in an order marker

@Filthy the Clown, don't worry about me thinking you don't like Brunak or the likes. I think it's pretty obvious that it's not about whether we liked the hero/squad or not but rather if they'll work with the army on the table. I see your point. A hero with more than 3 lives would be able to withstand at least 2 whiffs from a common 3 wound attack while Brunak goes down in the first whiff. Good point.

@Dok, that's interesting statistics about the FE-centered armies. For the sake of simplifying the discussion, I'll just concentrate on Brunak and FEs. Let me see... instead of Brunak, we can have 3 FEs. With 3 FEs and Kurrok, we gain 3 SIs, 3 attacks, plus tactical advantages due to wider area coverage or strategical deployment. That's an outright 6 attacks. And defensively speaking, we are rolling 3 times, 1 for each life. That, against Brunak's 1 attack and relying on chance to make a second one plus a single whiff that may cost all 3 lives in 1 go. I think I beginning to understand your view about investment value. And it is valuable lesson learned.
Old December 11th, 2011, 03:34 PM

Adderbane is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeblewalker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAwsm View Post
Two of each is fine. That many plus Kurrok is already 380 points.
That only leaves you 70-220 points in a 400-600 point army.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles