Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old October 1st, 2021, 05:53 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Re: The New York City Gang Of Four

Fall is here; I put on my bathrobe in the cool morning for the first time this year yesterday. In September there is already a retail push for Halloween! Here in Brooklyn our two big annual events will be this weekend: the Atlantic Antic street fair and the Brooklyn Book Fair, both near my Game Palace here in Brooklyn Heights. I'm still avoiding crowds in the main myself, but will probably make a brief outing or two! Local restaurants now need to see that vaccine card.

Sherman's game on Wednesday will be a four player team face off with his own Marvelscape figures eligible, as he playtests his own Asgardian Destroyer. Each player gets to draft an army of 800 points, which may include Classic and VC Custom figures as well. The map is Rush Hour by Dignan. Regular order marker activation rules will be used, rather than SD's own Group Shared OM variant rules.

Facing off against the Destroyer, and with such a large army point total, this will probably be a game of big bruisers! SD will provide all the Super cards and characters we will use, so we're sending him our army drafts. It seems like there will be no duplicates so far.
Old October 5th, 2021, 11:40 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

A couple of months ago I joined a BGG thread called The League of Extraordinary Heroscapers. Its a discussion thread for older Scapers. I got their microbadge, which says "You can have my Scape when you pry it from my arthritic fingers!"
Old October 7th, 2021, 03:44 AM

We had two long and wonderful team games! Sherman Davies as GM took some photos and should provide them and some commentary, since we were playtesting his Asgardian Destroyer custom. All Marvelscape characters are SD Customs, which can be seen on his Marvelscape Customs thread. SD wanted to play the Destroyer, and then play against him in a second game with an army he also created; I volunteered to play him in Game Two.

I'll start off by listing the 800 point armies we used.

Game One: Chas and Taeblewalker vs Sherman Davies and Kolakoski

Chas
Thor 360
Hercules 330
Kelda 80
Bol 10
Total: 780

Taeblewalker
The Thing 300
Captain Marvel 260 (Monica Rambeau)
Spiderman 190
Tarn Vikings 50
Total: 800

Sherman Davies
Asgardian Destroyer 390
Loki 355
Marro Warriors 50
Total: 795

Kolakoski
The Mandarin 275
Dr. Doom 245
Lady Shiva 150
Moon Knight 130

Game Two: Chas and Kolakoski vs Sherman Davies and Taeblewalker

Chas (Army By Sherman Davies)
Asgardian Destroyer 390
Talingul 100
Iron Golem x2 200
Krav Maga Agents 100
Isamu 10

Kolakoski
Loki 355
The Mandarin 275
Sonlen 160
Isamu 10

Sherman Davies
Captain America 220
Major Q9 180
Valgard 110
Dreadguls x4 260
Guilty McCreach 30

Taeblewalker (Same as Game One)
The Thing 300
Captain Marvel 260
Spiderman 190
Tarn Vikings 50

Future Plans

Using our regular Game Master rotation, Kolakoski will GM next month in November. He will be on vacation in December, when I will GM. We may switch from playing on Wednesday to Sunday at some point for some months to accommodate I]Ishmel[/I] if he is interested, especially in December when K. will be away.

NYCG4 Game Masters create a Four Player Custom Heroscape Scenario for the group each month, including at minimum victory conditions, army point totals, and a map. Most scenarios also include their own special rules. Players usually build their own armies. We mostly play at least two games each session.

Last edited by chas; October 7th, 2021 at 07:35 AM.
Old October 7th, 2021, 07:56 AM

The Two Games In Brief

Game One: Sherman Davies as The Asgardian Destroyer

K. hadn't seen SD's AD card before the game. He declared it overpowered and wanted to be its ally! So he teamed up with SD. I wrote a note to TW saying "We need to team up against the Destroyer!" Since my partner was facing off against SD, all I had to plan was to combine with TW in the center of the map at first. I moved my two bruisers, Thor and Hercules up, with Kelda in support but not far out in front.

I brought Thor up first but he got hurt badly, so I moved Kelda in to heal him of two wounds. Then she got taken down before she could heal again.
However, this allowed Thor to continue.

Luckily for us, SD wanted to wade into us and test out his new creation, as his ranged attack only worked once at the end of a round with the X Marker.

So we engaged it quickly in melee, deep on our side of the board, with Thor and Thing. Meanwhile TW charged his Tarn Vikings up and they were pretty quickly wiped out by stronger characters. I thought this a tactical error, and would comment on it--but to my embarrassment--in Game Two!

K. was dismayed when the Destroyer went down, as he felt that they should have kept him back and only used his powerful ranged attack. But he'd done plenty of damage. At game start SD had noted that the game would be the usual ten rounds before counting up victory points left to determine a winner. but that he expected it to be much shorter. In fact it went a full 8 Turns.

After losing my three main figures, I transferred two unused Order Markers from Hercules when he was defeated to little Bol, who had been left back in my Start Zone. Now the goblin figure I use for Bol was so useful in his first game as a regular Goblin in Scape that I put a red sticker with an 'H' for Hero on him (I usually only put my ID stickers on the bottom of figures). Then when the Bol card came out from C3V I 'promoted him to Bol,

So to become the game's comedy relief, each turn he was used I sang a different verse of a song I made up to the tune of a silly song from a TV show. No one guessed where it was from at first, but then K. identified it. Let's see if you can get it without hearing the tune from my first attempt:

"Here's Bol The Mighty
Striding Through the countryside
Little dagger by his side!"

This map had lots of pine trees to block real life and game Lines of Sight. Bol got to attack a Marro Warrior, popping out behind a tree.

"Here's Bol The Mighty
And you know he's gonna win
now he'll kill an alien!"

Sadly he attack missed, and K decided, egged on by SD, to target him, and wiped him off the map. BTW, his song was a parody of Jockser the Mighty, the theme of Ted Raimi's inept comedy relief character from Xena, Warrior Princess. "Jockser The Mighty, strides through the countryside, little Gabby by his side." (Gabriel didn't appreciate that lyric).

Left alone to face both other players, my partner TW fought on valiantly, mentioning that he loves SDs Thing, and yelling "It's Clobbering Time!" The other team went on to win the game, but we did not yet feel the Destroyer was indeed overpowered. I had of course, having seen the card, chosen two of Marvel's powerhouses to take him on, as they would have in the old Silver Age comics I love! Kelda is one of my favorites (usually instead of Raelin) and now so is Bol (I formerly used Isamu as my 10 point wonder).
Old October 7th, 2021, 08:10 AM

Game Two: Chas as The Asgardian Destroyer

After the game K. criticised SDs use of the Destroyer, so since I'd volunteered to be the AD, we let K. team up with me 'to do it right.' I used a second army GM SD had brought along to fight with the Destroyer. K. knows I have a more calculated and restrained plays style as an old wargamer (we are the two senior members of the group), although it doesn't necessarily generate more game wins, because anything can happen in Heroscape.

I happily took SDs Talingul army, as I had recently played him with various large construct armies and enjoyed doing so. The Destroyer was also a Construct of course. But I was taken by surprise right in my Start Zone. After making fun of TWs initial attack with his Tarn Vikings, they used the extensive road network on this map (Rush Hour by Dignan) to hit me right in my face. And since I foolishly got so caught up in trying to figure out my initial march order to get up to a bridge, I actually foregot to put the OMs on Talingul (the first turn doesn't usually matter much). K. had to come help me take out the Tarns, and TW also brought up Captain Marvel (Monical Rambeau), who was almost invulnerable to the Destroyer! After the Tarns took out one of my Iron Golems and a Krav, she knocked out Talingul, and my army was well and truly hurtin' for certain!

My idea was to engage the enemy in our own territory. SD mentioned that while he was bringing up one squad of Dreadguls with Valguard after another to get mostly whomped by our stronger characters, he thought we had developed a superior board position, fighting on the bridge closer to me. It was actually K. who got up there since I'd been sidetracked, although my remaining Iron Golem stood adjacent to the bridge and fought up to it for a while against Doc Doom. But eventually I got my remaining two Krav up there, and they took out Captain Marvel, my nemesis.

Major Q9 was parked far off on the other bridge, and Guilty was tormenting us from K. flank, where there had been no fighting. So I brought the Destroyer up to attack him. But then his penalty power kicked in for the only time in the game, and they got to use the Destroyers penalty power to blast three of us on our bridge instead! Fortunately we didn't take too much damage, but the others did a lot of chortling over that incident.

Finally I brought the Destroyer back to get a dreadgul and finally Guilty, who had laughed as he wounded powerful beings like Loki "I shot me a god!" and others. Then I slugged it out with Q9 and took him out at the exit of his bridge. I wanted to engage the Thing on our bridge, but Captain America came up, Sonlen healed one wound on me as The Destroyer, and then I managed to take out Cap.

At that point we only had to mop up Spiderman--who always takes a while to put away, and a final squad of Dreadguls. So although they were willing to fight it out, we won. But it had taken Nine Turns, much longer than SD had anticipated.

Having started a bit after Noon, by the time we finished it was 6 PM. K. had to leave and I played out his last turn. Then the three of us got dinner at the market downstairs and had a nice debrief and chat session. It had been a great day, full of ups and downs. We broke up relatively early, after discuissing future sessions for Scape and other board games.

I'd recently gotten four of the six new Kickstarters that I'd ordered way back before the Pandemic, and had only played two of them so far, although about 15 times each. So I had two remaining unplayed for now except for learining solitaires --one getting cancelled twice by our recent hurricanes, and one having just arrived. In November I'm expecting the final two, which are now on the water from China. Which is half blacked out by a power shortage right now, so I don't know how much game manufacturing or deliver will be occurring in the next year, and I plan to reign in my game purchasing for now. The board game are Titans, Ankh: Gods of Egypt, Empire of the Stars, and Rurik: Dawn of Kiev Stone and Blade Expansion. The two still coming are The Great Wall and Hellenica: Story of Greece Leaders and Legends Expansion.

Last edited by chas; October 7th, 2021 at 08:50 AM.
Old October 10th, 2021, 06:01 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

I won't be able to improve on chas's excellent and comprehensive battle reports, so I'll just add some pics from the game. The map we played on was Rush Hour by @Dignan . While going through my files looking for a map to use for the game, I found that I've downloaded quite a few of his maps, so I guess that makes me a big fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
I brought Thor up first but he got hurt badly, so I moved Kelda in to heal him of two wounds.

Quote:
So we engaged it quickly in melee, deep on our side of the board, with Thor and Thing.

Quote:
After losing my three main figures, I transferred two unused Order Markers from Hercules when he was defeated to little Bol, who had been left back in my Start Zone. Bol got to attack a Marro Warrior, popping out behind a tree. Sadly he attack missed, and K decided, egged on by SD, to target him, and wiped him off the map.

Quote:
Major Q9 was parked far off on the other bridge, and Guilty was tormenting us from K. flank, where there had been no fighting. So I brought the Destroyer up to attack him. But then his penalty power kicked in for the only time in the game, and they got to use the Destroyers penalty power to blast three of us on our bridge instead! Fortunately we didn't take too much damage, but the others did a lot of chortling over that incident.

Quote:
Finally I brought the Destroyer back to get a dreadgul and finally Guilty, who had laughed as he wounded powerful beings like Loki "I shot me a god!" and others.

Quote:
Then I slugged it out with Q9 and took him out at the exit of his bridge. I wanted to engage the Thing on our bridge, but Captain America came up, Sonlen healed one wound on me as The Destroyer, and then I managed to take out Cap.

Old October 10th, 2021, 07:17 PM

Nice! Thanks to Sherman Davies for providing all the Marvelscape figures and cards. Hey, another post or two and we'll reach Page 100 of this thread...
Old October 14th, 2021, 10:44 PM

Although I keep mentioning our Heroscape games in my weekly Board Gaming Update emails to my local pals here in NYC, which cover other gaming activity here on weekends and during the week too (Its good to be retired!), we rarely get a guest star player to join the four of us for Scaping. Ishmel has been our semiregular attendee over the summer, but now has gone back to work. We also had another temporary member who moved out to California last year.

A few people have mentioned that they have enjoyed Scaping in the past, or are interested in the future, but none have shown up recently. Three or four player sessions are fine, but we're always welcoming if anyone else wants to drop by. We have enough gaming stuff that no one needs to bring anything unless they already have cards and figures they want to use.

Feel free to ask about joining us if you are available!
Old October 21st, 2021, 02:55 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

For 11/10 game I'm Hosting (tentatively):

Map:

Honor, by Flash_19.

Armies:

Four players, each fielding one of the following armies:

Captain America (Isaiah Bradley) (C3G)
20th Maine Volunteers x 4
Sgt Drake (RotV)
Jarek Guy
Morgan's Riflemen

Captain Cold (Leonard Snart) (II) (C3G)
Zombies x 5
Locksley
Brigand x 2

Batman (Bruce Wayne) (C3G)
Monks x 3
Racheim
Master Lao Xin

Daredevil (Matt Murdock) (II) (C3G)
Red Blade Dancers x 3
The Varja
Syvarris

Victory Conditions: Player with the most Victory Points (VPs) at the end of 10 Rounds wins, awarded as follows:

1 VP for each Superhero killed.
1 VP for the most heroes (non-Super) killed.
1 VP for the most squad figures killed.

Old October 21st, 2021, 10:42 PM

K. is always a fun army builder. Note that the supers he is using to helm his teams are only 200 Points each.

Last edited by chas; October 30th, 2021 at 04:55 AM.
Old October 30th, 2021, 05:00 AM

Halloween Weekend now heralds THE 2021 HOLIDAY SEASON. Just got my Covid Booster, and I look forward to more socializing than during the last two! This Christmas Eve will be my 70th Birthday! I bought some traditional cakes and candies in my first order with The Vermont Country Store, for friends who drop by to game or just hang out! (I've been licking my lips over their catalogs for years). Have a good one!

Last edited by chas; October 30th, 2021 at 05:53 AM.
Old October 30th, 2021, 08:06 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion