Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old May 7th, 2022, 11:46 PM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: The Pre-SoV Workshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
I understand the intent of Carapace is the cap out the number of defense rolled, even if it's functionally the same as 3 in most instances.

I would actually recommend taking an idea from an X-Wing first edition card called Lightweight Frame:

*snip*

Basically, for Carapace, it could check # of skulls vs shields, and then see if you roll an extra defense dice into the pool afterwards.
Hmm... considering they only have 2 defense, you'd have to blank your defense roll to use the ability. Sounds like it would interesting on something with a higher defense stat though. Deathwalker 9000 would love it.
Old May 8th, 2022, 12:00 AM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_It View Post
Quote:
I understand the intent of Carapace is the cap out the number of defense rolled, even if it's functionally the same as 3 in most instances.

I would actually recommend taking an idea from an X-Wing first edition card called Lightweight Frame:

*snip*

Basically, for Carapace, it could check # of skulls vs shields, and then see if you roll an extra defense dice into the pool afterwards.
Hmm... considering they only have 2 defense, you'd have to blank your defense roll to use the ability. Sounds like it would interesting on something with a higher defense stat though. Deathwalker 9000 would love it.
Well, I didnt mean an exact copy of it, I guess I wasn't clear. Something more like this:

"After rolling defense dice for a High Dune Scorpion, if the attacking figure has rolled more skulls than a Scorpion rolled shields, you may roll one additional defense die.

Last edited by MegaSilver; May 8th, 2022 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Added "you may"
Old May 8th, 2022, 12:06 AM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Thought

Hmm that could work but I'd make it a may ability so that way if you rolled 3 skulls and I rolled 0 shields, I don't have to roll another die for no reason.

~Dysole, musingly
Old May 8th, 2022, 12:10 AM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth
Re: Thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysole View Post
Hmm that could work but I'd make it a may ability so that way if you rolled 3 skulls and I rolled 0 shields, I don't have to roll another die for no reason.

~Dysole, musingly
Good point.
Old May 8th, 2022, 08:44 AM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_It View Post
Quote:

*snip*

Well, I didnt mean an exact copy of it, I guess I wasn't clear. Something more like this:

"After rolling defense dice for a High Dune Scorpion, if the attacking figure has rolled more skulls than a Scorpion rolled shields, you may roll one additional defense die.
Isn’t that functionally identical to base 3 defense?
Old May 8th, 2022, 11:58 AM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!
Re: Initial Thoughts

Quote:
Estivara does feel like a natural pairing but I kinda like that.
They also get adjacent attack bonuses from Arktos (as Hunters) and Khosumet (as Relentless figures). Harder to achieve but there nonetheless.

I still like these guys as Utgar. The only other Relentless Hunters in the game are the Wolves of Badru so Utgar has three relations to them while Aquilla only has one.
Old May 8th, 2022, 12:17 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Sure

For me natural pairing just means it's a unit you'd often consider for the synergy, while Arktos and Khosumet are more the sort of thing you'd see if you were trying to do something unusual.

~Dysole, who could see Utgar but given they're presumably mindless bugs, Aquilla still feels better
Old May 8th, 2022, 12:25 PM

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!
Re: Sure

Quote:
~Dysole, who could see Utgar but given they're presumably mindless bugs, Aquilla still feels better
Relentless Hunters doesn't exactly describe mindless bugs. These guys are certainly a step up from the Fire Ants.

Last edited by Sheep; May 8th, 2022 at 02:21 PM.
Old May 9th, 2022, 10:19 AM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth
Re: Sure

I like this version of the Scorpions better, but it's still pretty rough statistically. We all know two skulls is scary to defend against, even with lots of defense dice. Losing defense dice on top of that is frightening. With most units two skulls would be practically an auto-wound. In fact, one could argue this version is stronger than the previous due to the single-skull benefit plus it scales with attack buffs. It's a little like Deadly Strike. Not as strong, but in the ballpark. I would prefer something less swingy, like a consistent defense reduction, possibly scaling against enemy size. Or a Whip-like "paralysis" effect.

I agree with Dysole about the name Paralyzing Venom.

Carpace is also only slightly different than a bonus defense, as people have noted. There are lots of ways it could be more interesting and less fiddly (as in, this requires a second roll after the first defense roll), such as +1 defense against small/medium only.

Last edited by Scytale; May 9th, 2022 at 10:42 AM.
Old May 9th, 2022, 10:36 AM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Fair points, though there are worse things than a def reduction power. I mean FE’s, Hounds for one can autowound anything AND still normal attack…I’d say that’s significantly more scary than a scorp who on average will reduce your def by 1.

The Carapace suggestion has been noted. Wriggz brought up an interesting idea for better “tough decision making” by suggesting Scorps are weaker when in higher elevation because of their exposed underside. We haven’t decided if that’s exactly the direction we want to go but Leaf It and I did like the suggestion quite a bit.

So, something like this…

Quote:
UNDERBELLY
When defending with a High Dune Scorpion, if the Scorpion has height advantage on the attacking figure, subtract 2 from its defense.
That paired with the current venom power and 4 base defense and we felt pretty good about it….though we’re still chewing on it a bit.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old May 10th, 2022, 10:47 AM

Minis Used: D&D Icons of the Realm: Goblin Warband (2 squads of 3)

Got some testing done with these guys and have been pretty happy with how they work within their two unique synergy webs.

Spoiler Alert!
Old May 10th, 2022, 11:24 AM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Not sure how I feel about the Goblin Gladiators. The design looks nice on the surface, but it has the arguably unthematic gameplay effect of making you not want to attack with the goblins at all. I'd probably attack with one, and if it missed, forgo attacking with the other two to get an Ogre/Gladiator turn instead of taking my chances with two weak attacks. Which makes them pretty much just fodder to get in the opponent's way, which they're not very good at with weak defense and no defensive power.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards