Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Notices

Old January 11th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Business Casual

SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth
Re: The book of Granite Guardians

I think he means adjacent to an overhang.

I know that I do not know.
C3G INDEX - SSE 92 - JSA GENERATIONS
Old January 11th, 2012, 09:47 AM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

Ok, but you can always scale an adjacent overhang as long as movement value and height allow it.

I mean to say...overhang doesn't stop movement...you just count the empty space underneath as if there were tiles there.

A must read for all 'Scapers!

Last edited by R˙chean; January 11th, 2012 at 09:48 AM. Reason: I guess I am misunderstanding
Old January 11th, 2012, 09:54 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

A battlement or ladder yes, an overhang no. You can only go one space, so you can't have an overhang that takes up no space.

Nice catch though.
Old January 11th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by R˙chean View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryLASQ View Post
One thing that I'm surprised has not been mentioned here ... based on the wording, a higher space could be an overhang. It's not a "climb".
In theory, it could be an overhang...but in application...no. The height of the Granite Guardian is 5. The max up or down on Gain High Ground is 4 levels.

I cannot think of a physical situation where the Guardian could be under an overhang and still be able to use Gain High Ground to scale to the top of the overhang.

Or maybe I am misunderstanding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGalahad View Post
I think he means adjacent to an overhang.
Correct; I mean if the GG started the special movement adjacent to the overhang, not starting directly under it.

Quote:
Ok, but you can always scale an adjacent overhang as long as movement value and height allow it.

I mean to say...overhang doesn't stop movement...you just count the empty space underneath as if there were tiles there.
But I thought that, while doing normal movement, you can traverse an overhang only if there are nearby supporting tiles. What if there were no nearby supporting tiles? (Based on the illustration in the rule book, I've never been quite sure what "nearby" means exactly. How close do these supporting tiles need to be in order to be nearby?)

Let's say RotV Drake is several levels below a bridge (let's say 10); not directly under it, but one space out from under it. There are no nearby supporting tiles anywhere near him. He should be able to Grapple Gun up onto the bridge, yes?
Old January 11th, 2012, 12:44 PM

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:

But I thought that, while doing normal movement, you can traverse an overhang only if there are nearby supporting tiles. What if there were no nearby supporting tiles? (Based on the illustration in the rule book, I've never been quite sure what "nearby" means exactly. How close do these supporting tiles need to be in order to be nearby?)

Let's say RotV Drake is several levels below a bridge (let's say 10); not directly under it, but one space out from under it. There are no nearby supporting tiles anywhere near him. He should be able to Grapple Gun up onto the bridge, yes?
When it refers to the "nearby supporting tiles", that is purely to give the player a reference point, a way to count the elevation.

Also, it doesn't say "only if" in the rules. Reread the overhang portion. It is only to illustrate a way of counting the elevation, even if the nearest supporting tile is on the other side of the map.

Sometimes with overhangs it is not clear which level it is on. The illustration and text was trying to provide an example of how to count the elevation.

And, yes, Drake can grapple up.

Last edited by R˙chean; January 11th, 2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old January 11th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

When it refers to the "nearby supporting tiles", that is purely to give the player a reference point, a way to count the elevation.

Also, it doesn't say "only if" in the rules. Reread the overhang portion. It is only to illustrate a way of counting the elevation, even if the nearest supporting tile is on the other side of the map.

Sometimes with overhangs it is not clear which level it is on. The illustration and text was trying to provide an example of how to count the elevation.

And, yes, Drake can grapple up.
Holy misinterpretation, Batman! I can't believe I just learned something new about a game I've been playing for over 7 years.

For the record, the illustration and wording in the rulebook are misleading in my opinion. It would have been better to simply show the "number 2 dot" in mid-air on the gap of the overhang, and say nothing at all about nearby supporting tiles.

Thanks for clearing that up R˙chean.

Last edited by GaryLASQ; January 12th, 2012 at 12:46 AM. Reason: oops
Old January 11th, 2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
For the record, the illustration and wording in the rulebook are misleading in my opinion. It would have been better to simply show the "number 2 dot" in mid-air on the gap of the overhang, and say nothing at all about nearby supporting tiles.
I agree. I guess they thought that an 8 year old might struggle with the concept of counting something that isn't there.

Last edited by R˙chean; January 11th, 2012 at 01:49 PM. Reason: .
Old November 18th, 2012, 07:07 AM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

So.... it's been asked several times in this thread, but I'm still unsure about the official ruling (due in part to Grungebob's cryptic answers).

Can the GGs use their "Gain High Ground" to move onto a Heavy Snow or Slippery Ice hex?
Old November 18th, 2012, 11:09 AM

Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon2222 View Post
So.... it's been asked several times in this thread, but I'm still unsure about the official ruling (due in part to Grungebob's cryptic answers).

Can the GGs use their "Gain High Ground" to move onto a Heavy Snow or Slippery Ice hex?
No. Much like Sgt. Drake, they just cannae do it.
Old November 18th, 2012, 11:17 AM

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedim Kabal View Post
Quote:

Harumph. That is just dumb. I refuse to accept it.
Old November 18th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedim Kabal View Post
Quote:

Harumph. That is just dumb. I refuse to accept it.
Boo I say too.

This will be added to the OP once I get there.
Old November 18th, 2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
Boo I say too.

This will be added to the OP once I get there.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units