Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Notices

Old February 17th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Messy Eater

Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades-Fan
I wasn't discounting the 24 spaces and I like them, but if they keep coming out with more and more squads that have 4 people take up spaces that are cheap it is really hard to do a theme army on a map with limited spaces.
Nobody I know has this dificulty. Besides, as I have mentioned before, it is of little importance at this point considering we have been running many many events successfully at 24 spaces. This is not as important as other topics and shouldn't be here diverting attention.

I like the 24-hex rule but at the same time I don't think it's necessarily wrong for Shades Fan to be asking about this. I mean this is supposed to be WotC's feedback thread for tournament/organized play and I guess it's definitely related to the topic at hand. Though I can also see that there are a bunch of other things that WotC will (obviously) need to figure out first, before something of that nature. I will say, though, that I have heard a few other people mentioning the 24-hex thing in the past, so I don't think Shades Fan is entirely alone in his request/issue.
Old February 17th, 2008, 03:16 PM

bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
I agree with what GB has already said, repeatedly. Details are coming in way to soon, additionally, a scope of what Ian is looking for is what we'll need. Things like 24-hex start zones are way to detailed. Questions about whether Heroscape is better suited to tournament or League play and the physical constraints on the game are more suitable.
Old February 17th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytefang
Quote:
Quote:
I wasn't discounting the 24 spaces and I like them, but if they keep coming out with more and more squads that have 4 people take up spaces that are cheap it is really hard to do a theme army on a map with limited spaces.
Nobody I know has this difficulty. Besides, as I have mentioned before, it is of little importance at this point considering we have been running many many events successfully at 24 spaces. This is not as important as other topics and shouldn't be here diverting attention.

I like the 24-hex rule but at the same time I don't think it's necessarily wrong for Shades Fan to be asking about this. I mean this is supposed to be WotC's feedback thread for tournament/organized play and I guess it's definitely related to the topic at hand. Though I can also see that there are a bunch of other things that WotC will (obviously) need to figure out first, before something of that nature. I will say, though, that I have heard a few other people mentioning the 24-hex thing in the past, so I don't think Shades Fan is entirely alone in his request/issue.
I see you are not understanding as well. We need to practise restraint and patience and realize that diverting the focus to certain minute details such as starting zones etc, are serving only to lessen the value of these threads. You chiming in is another example of yet another post that blocks the WOTC guys from finding what it is they need/want..

So I'm going to make this as clear as I can to all of you. Make your input brief and pay attention to the big picture. Read the previous posts to see if your input has already been mentioned. DO NOT PM the WOTC members. Do not solicit them in any way. Petty requests for minor details, such as rule tweaking/clarifications etc. are ok, but please try and keep it to a minimum and realize that those details will undoubtedly be resolved after the big stuff is sorted out, and so may be misplaced in here.

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old February 17th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
I hope this fits in with the input that might be helpful at this point in the development of the game.

While, clearly, most tournaments will be scheduled on the weekends, and probably Saturday; I think it will be important and beneficial to give serious thought to finding ways of holding events on other days or in evenings. This will, of course, likely be more of a League structure than a tournament one. But there are some 'Scapers who can more conveniently attend and support, say, a Thursday evening than a Saturday gathering.
Old February 17th, 2008, 11:45 PM
Wears Shades at Night

Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytefang
Quote:
Quote:
Nobody I know has this difficulty. Besides, as I have mentioned before, it is of little importance at this point considering we have been running many many events successfully at 24 spaces. This is not as important as other topics and shouldn't be here diverting attention.

I see you are not understanding as well. We need to practise restraint and patience and realize that diverting the focus to certain minute details such as starting zones etc, are serving only to lessen the value of these threads. You chiming in is another example of yet another post that blocks the WOTC guys from finding what it is they need/want..

So I'm going to make this as clear as I can to all of you. Make your input brief and pay attention to the big picture. Read the previous posts to see if your input has already been mentioned. DO NOT PM the WOTC members. Do not solicit them in any way. Petty requests for minor details, such as rule tweaking/clarifications etc. are ok, but please try and keep it to a minimum and realize that those details will undoubtedly be resolved after the big stuff is sorted out, and so may be misplaced in here.
I think that this has gone on way to far and realize they have bigger things to deal with so I would like to end this right now so it doesn't turn into another WotC thread that is just mindless dribble. So furthermore I agree with the point that Grungebob made and think their is more important things to deal with,which is why that was no the only thing I mentioned in that post. Thank you Grungebob for making me realize that this wasn't a major thing for WotC to deal with!

Spread Positivity and the joys of gaming.
Old February 18th, 2008, 09:33 AM

Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Organized Play Discussion with Ian from Wizards

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth
I am making this thread at the request of Ian Richards who will be in charge of setting up an organized play system for Heroscape.
I'm (again). Is he reading this thread or responding to it? So far we have 4 pages (much of it discussing minutiae to many's chagrin) of and and .

What's going on with this thread? Do I just post my questions and hope he finds and answers them amongst all the other ones like the thread in the news section with wotcpbarclay? If so it seems like a quick road to and again.

I love my emoticons. So expressive.
Old February 18th, 2008, 01:28 PM

chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades fan
I think the major things need to be covered first as some have pointed out. So here is a list of some of the major things you need to establish first.

1. I believe that their needs to be a lot more balanced maps from the heroscape team their as well as what R˙chean stated about how the set-up and handling of the master sets. One person has a tough time setting up 10 maps for a small to medium sized tournament. If it is a large tournament like GenCon for example your going to need a pretty big amount of Road to the Forgotten Forest sets and Master Sets. The person organizing the Tournament needs that many and it is just to much to ask you guys to supply all the Map requirements. I would really like you guys to look at the BOV because they have some really decent maps that in my opinion should be used in tournaments. But as Wytefang stated some people would not find them fair if they have never visited this site, So if possible I would suggest you put a link on the WotC website under the heroscape section or on the Heroscape website, if you guys like the maps put a link under the maps place on the site to the BoV thread. This would also not let you take credit for them, which would prevent Legal action/ make people think you took credit for it.
I completely agree with this statement. Each size of tourney needs different needs. If wizards cant supply us then let us find other means.

Quote:
2. I believe you need many official scoring systems including my personal favorite the Swiss Scoring system. Since the game has so many different types of games to play this will be no easy task. You need to establish an official number of points used 500 seems to be the main number of points used in tournaments which means in producing figures you need to keep the points reasonable. It is my opinion that the figures shouldn't go over 225 because of the fact that 225 points in a 500 point tournament is already almost half of your army. So I believe you really need to set up an official number of points for all tournaments sanctioned by WotC.
Thats interesting. I like it Shades. But I just see one problem. Creativity. People are always coming up with new kinds of way's to play. Honestly if I was WotC I would get a headache trying to keep track of them all each day, every variation that comes in AND keeping the scoring system running.

Quote:
3. You need to decide if your going to make Marvel official by giving it tournaments of its own or as some people do have Heroscape tournaments that include Marvel. Personally I believe this is unfair but a lot of people do it. I would suggest official just Marvel Tournaments if you are going to have them.
I second the notion of making individual rule sets. But we cant leave those mixers out. They need rules too. Cant be gameacist.

Quote:
4. You need to establish an official ruling on things like Penalties for say stalling or things like will a Ninjas vanish ability work against a Lethal sting. A official set of rules and codes should be made for use in Tournaments. Their should also be a ruling on if certain figures are allowed at tournaments which all figures should be allowed because that is one of the best parts about heroscape. Their should also be a ruling on a limit on how many of each squads are allowed, along with how many spaces a starting zone should have,with the increase in figures and cheaper figures I feel it should be up'ed but that is a personal feeling.
Penalties should be involved. But when it comes down to it thats a second objective in my eyes. First we should get the basic function implied. After that work at penalties. But to keep us from drowning in argument I say we leave out the small little things(like stalling) and stick to major issues like cheating and twisting the rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherr
Having a global registry for HS rankings shouldn’t be that difficult to create. It has a two prerequisites, however:
• A cadre of WotC certified tournament directors
• A global registry of all players

Certified Directors
By creating a director certification program, WotC can offload all of the work of maintaining the registry on volunteers. The directors could get some sort of certificate and write access to the WotC registry. They could also have levels of certification, local, regional or national.. They would have the ability to register points for tournament play. As they would tend to be the opinion leaders of the HS community, they could get other bonuses like previews of upcoming figures or membership in a SMOF like community.
I agree with making a large based world wide ranking registry. Thats a good idea. Also the part of top players getting little goodies. Nothing big just a little something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherr
Registry of Players
This could be maintained on Heroscape.com or some other web site. Players could maintain their contact info, and check up on the information entered by the directors.

With these two factors in place, the global standings are easy to maintain. By entering in a sanctioned event, you would be registered in the database. Ranking points would be awarded on the basis of:
• Number of players
• Scope of game (local, regional national, etc)
• Special Event (national Heroscape day, etc)
Ranking points could be awarded for winning individual matches, as well as for placing in the over all standings for the tournament. To promote new players getting involved in the game, you could also have stratified games (if large enough) that would permit less experienced (fewer ranking points) players to compete against players of similar ranking for bonus points. For example, you have a local tournament with 20 players.
I agree with you're ideas on how this would function. But I want to throw something out there. What if some people (like my self) would want to be involved in this ranking system. But we never get into tournaments due to lack of local community popularity of the game. Would there be a solution to this? Perhaps a similar ranking system were if two players play a game they register their game and say who won. This way WotC is not only getting tourney ranking public. But if there really are good players that are isolated to small areas they get recognized as well.

Anyway just my thoughts on those subjects.
Old February 18th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief
What if some people (like my self) would want to be involved in this ranking system. But we never get into tournaments due to lack of local community popularity of the game. Would there be a solution to this?
Yes: travel.

(I say that, taking vacation time and spending eleven hours on the road and two nights in a hotel to participate in the Dallas Team Tournament (my fourth Dallas HeroScape trip), and having spent seventeen hours on the road to go to GenCon last summer.)
Old February 18th, 2008, 02:18 PM

chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief
What if some people (like my self) would want to be involved in this ranking system. But we never get into tournaments due to lack of local community popularity of the game. Would there be a solution to this?
Yes: travel.

(I say that, taking vacation time and spending eleven hours on the road and two nights in a hotel to participate in the Dallas Team Tournament (my fourth Dallas HeroScape trip), and having spent seventeen hours on the road to go to GenCon last summer.)
I understand but consider this. I have no car, still getting my permit, and parents wont drive all the way out to loveland just for a game despite how much they know I like it. Also I plan on being at Gencon this year so I will travel.
Old February 18th, 2008, 02:55 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
How do you have world wide ranking when parts of the world cannot get parts of the game???
Old February 18th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
Chill out guys. Let's not discuss minutia about rankings when they haven't even said whether there will be rankings yet!

I'm not even going to make a post in here until I see response. Oops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old February 18th, 2008, 04:06 PM

bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
I'm working on a summary to add to the first post so that Ian will have less to wade through.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events