Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old July 25th, 2018, 08:17 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth
Re: Superfrog's Maps -- east is up (ARV map)

After tinkering with east is up, I was able to widen the map a few hexes while keeping the idea and the aesthetic of the original. Anybody wanna point out any glaring problems?
Old July 25th, 2018, 10:10 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

I feel like Rae/Rats will pose a problem on this map. Grabbing both glyphs with Rats is probably trivial, and Rae can relax by a bush for +1 defense vs range while giving +2 to the Rats on Glyphs.

Edit: oh and they can’t be attacked from a bunch if adjacent hexes, giving melee a disadvantage to jump in the middle pool of vermin-y goodness.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old July 25th, 2018, 10:26 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Oh dang, good point. There's not much to be done about Raelin's reach, but I can move the level 4 height so Rats don't have it so easy.

Or I could always just make them all treasure glyphs, so we don't have to worry about Rats getting them...
Old November 27th, 2018, 01:15 AM
This is merely a joke.

[redacted] build instructions. It uses 1 SotM and 1 VW, with 2 random glyphs.

Start zones are the sand spaces and the adjacent molten lava.

---------------

I am trying to figure out how to get the most out of my current fledgling terrain collection:

2 RotV
1 SotM
1 RttFF
1 FotA
(soon to be) 1 VW

For the SotM set with one expansion, I can make Embattled Fen, Fossil, or some SotM/VW map. This is an attempt at that.

I also probably will be tinkering with an RotV/RttFF map that only uses one of the road sets. There's the old standbys Road Rampage and Marr Highway, but I'd like something a little more compact.

And then I just have to figure out an RotV/FotA map.

So stay tuned for combinations of my limited sets

Last edited by superfrog; November 27th, 2018 at 01:36 AM.
Old November 27th, 2018, 01:41 AM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth
Re: Superfrog's Maps -- [redacted] 11/26

Limited set maps are the best because they drive the creativity to stay within certain bounds. Excited to see what you come up with.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old November 27th, 2018, 04:44 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

You’ll probably have to adjust the hive and the spaces around it. Contrary to VS, the Hive doesn’t like to fit in little holes in the ground. The map looks cool, but 4-man range might like it a little too much. I can’t think of any way to improve the idea with that in mind, but that might be because there aren’t (m)any LOS blockers in SotM and VW.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old November 27th, 2018, 04:52 PM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post

After tinkering with east is up, I was able to widen the map a few hexes while keeping the idea and the aesthetic of the original. Anybody wanna point out any glaring problems?
Gorgeous aesthetic! As a cartographer OBSESSED with the aesthetic quality of maps (that's why I never work with RotV -- it's so ugly! ), this looks fantastic.
Old November 27th, 2018, 04:59 PM
This is merely a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
Limited set maps are the best because they drive the creativity to stay within certain bounds. Excited to see what you come up with.
Yeah, we'll see if I come up with anything I love. Hopefully some of these will come together organically with some tinkering with the real pieces rather than all VS all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
You’ll probably have to adjust the hive and the spaces around it. Contrary to VS, the Hive doesn’t like to fit in little holes in the ground. The map looks cool, but 4-man range might like it a little too much. I can’t think of any way to improve the idea with that in mind, but that might be because there aren’t (m)any LOS blockers in SotM and VW.
Yeah, it's hard to make this not a straight shooting gallery. Obviously the idea is that the height is not ideal for camping, but there's really not a great way to do that. There's a reason that SotM is often paired with literally anything that offers LoS blockers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon2222 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post

Gorgeous aesthetic! As a cartographer OBSESSED with the aesthetic quality of maps (that's why I never work with RotV -- it's so ugly! ), this looks fantastic.
Yeah, I really love the look of this one. Probably one of the prettiest looking maps in this thread. I'm not so sure about playability, but I think it has some promise.
Old November 28th, 2018, 07:52 PM
This is merely a joke.

With thanks to flameslayer for pointing out the Hive issue, and to Typhon for bringing up the matter of aesthetics, I've made a few changes to [redacted].

Gameplay-wise, the lava hills have shifted: in general it's all gotten spread towards the start zones rather than being sooo in the middle. The Hive has been brought up a few levels thanks to some level 1 rearrangements and the fact that it balances nicely on 4 support hexes. Glyphs were brought in, with equal opportunity to smite from height on both sides. Admittedly, this version doesn't have much use for the swamp water that is liberally spread around the edges, but it mostly prevents the map from being so narrow that it's chokey.

Aesthetically, I removed the two water tiles. Now the only visible tiles are swamp and lava (outside the sand of the start zone). It's a cool visual, and it has easy to find start zones, which is always a plus.

Plus, I got the second half of a lava set in the mail today, so I now have it built and in front of me! We'll see about getting a few games in on it.

[redacted] 2.0 build instructions.
Old November 28th, 2018, 10:47 PM
Frank Lloyd Wright of Scape

Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Good looking map SF! The Swamp and Volcarren terrain sets do look really nice together.

I just had a couple small thoughts:
1) I might tweak a couple of the molten lava tiles that are adjacent to the hive so that it's a touch easier to move around it - I wonder if that would help units utilize it more as a LOS blocker without being penalized as much movement-wise for doing so. Hopefully you understand what I mean by that.
2) This may just be a personal problem - and it doesn't effect playability at all. But personally, I don't like seeing gaps in maps (spots where you can see the table through the map). Even if water tiles are placed there, IMO that's better than being able to see the table. That might just be me though.

Lastly, I love the set up of the start zones - it's always nice to be able to intuitively know where the start zones are by the look of the map. It looks nice and crisp. Well done!

Maps | OHS Maps | Customs
"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Old November 29th, 2018, 01:54 PM
This is merely a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_19 View Post
Good looking map SF! The Swamp and Volcarren terrain sets do look really nice together.

I just had a couple small thoughts:
1) I might tweak a couple of the molten lava tiles that are adjacent to the hive so that it's a touch easier to move around it - I wonder if that would help units utilize it more as a LOS blocker without being penalized as much movement-wise for doing so. Hopefully you understand what I mean by that.
2) This may just be a personal problem - and it doesn't effect playability at all. But personally, I don't like seeing gaps in maps (spots where you can see the table through the map). Even if water tiles are placed there, IMO that's better than being able to see the table. That might just be me though.

Lastly, I love the set up of the start zones - it's always nice to be able to intuitively know where the start zones are by the look of the map. It looks nice and crisp. Well done!
1) Yeah, this is a great idea. I was able to move some things around and free up movement around the Hive a lot more. I was also able to make the height on both sides of the glyphs into lava field, so neither side has an advantage there. I'll try to get that VS-ed today.

2) My level 1 is pretty sparse. Blocking the table would take 14 hexes at least. Between the molten lava and the water, I only have 9 remaining hexes. In the build I have on my floor right now, those are included as "structure" pieces (so basically the opposite of gap fillers). I like the aesthetic so much that I'd rather ruin it with a table than with water I've just left them out of my build instructions entirely, though, so anybody who builds this can fill in as they please.

3) Thanks! I'm a big believer in easily identifiable start zones, whether it's "this 24-hex" or "the stone spaces" or "the back three lines". Anything where you need to say "it's half of this 7-hex and then some of this water and this corner of the 24-hex" just seems a bit too confusing to me. People seem to think the little dots will just magically appear on their map when it's built.
Old December 6th, 2018, 09:30 PM
This is merely a joke.

Okay, I've updated to what I think should be my final version of [redacted].

I've been playing this for a week or so and I've really liked it so far.

Build Instructions

I saw you were looking for a map with these sets, @Sir Heroscape ....

(although I couldn't fault you for going with a Dignan map)

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios